• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
OSW Review is my shit.

I don't even count this as a podcast (though the audio version is fine!) but this is easily the best of them all.

Also produced a bunch of quality "me-too" audio only shows. New Generation Project Podcast is the best, Attitude Era is ok, 3rd Man Podcast is great but inconsistently done.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's sad to see ROH have better production values than TNA. ROH used to be the gold standard for awful for cable TV wrestling.

Alucard

Banned
You're brainwashed and don't even realize you're one of them. It's sad, friend Alucard. Drop ROH. It is rotting your brain.

I totally know I'm a mark when it comes to certain wrestlers and promotions, and I know that I'm fickle and will drop something quickly if it's not doing anything for me. Don't think I'm brainwashed at all, friend stro. For instance, I'm not a fan of ROH's current main event booking and won't be a fan of it at least through the Anniversary show in March. They've got other good stuff going on, though.

Review an Impact is reborn anew later tonight. Only wrestling podcast worth following week in and week out.

Don't have to watch Impact to enjoy it, in fact its a better show when you don't watch it. Going to become my Monday morning commute show.

You know Wai and Pollock aren't doing it anymore right? It's Nate Milton and someone else.

Raw64life

Just watched the first AXS NJPW episode. I'd be fine if they used that commentary team for all their PPVs, although one of them said "Mama mia what a move" at one point. I had already seen this match, so I'm looking forward to seeing some matches I haven't seen before on upcoming episodes.

I'm basically down to WWE Raw, WWE PPVs, NXT PPVs and NJPW as the only wrestling I watch, and I barely pay attention to Raw most of the time.

I pretty much gave up on TNA years ago, but once they went back to the shit sided ring I decided I would never watch another episode of TNA ever again, which I've stuck to pretty easily.

Was never interested in ROH. Everything I've seen is mostly indie bullshit and it all feels so low rent. This was confirmed when I saw ROH live at the NJPW show last time and all the ROH guys felt like jobbers next to the NJPW guys with the exception of Steen, who left for WWE I think maybe a week later. Lucha looks decent but isn't worth going out of my way to watch in English. I haven't completely closed the door on ever watching it though.

OdeFXfQ.gif

Huh... Would you look at that...

Alucard

Banned
Alucard, are you aware that ROH and LU are essentially Michael Bay productions of wrestling shows?

I'll give you LU on that statement, but not ROH. I can only dream of ROH one day having those types of production values.

What would that make WWE and TNA? TNA is definitely Shyamalan. Not sure about WWE.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
lol, Pollock and Wai quit review an impact?

They need some time off. Because it airs on Friday Night, maggle, that means you'd have to either stay up Friday Night or record it Saturday. For a show Wai really didn't care for in the past year or so. They already do too much every week.

RP912

Banned
One thing that bothers me about TNA is it's marks. Them dudes would find a excuse for every TNA blunder in existence.

TNA darkening the arena even though they sold it out...
"it's to stop the fans from being total marks...it's all about the wrestling in the ring dammit"

Bound For Glory becoming Muta's flagship launch for his promotion...
"TNA atleast expanding besides that rated G fruity pebbles kiddie show

strobogo

Banned
I'll give you LU on that statement, but not ROH. I can only dream of ROH one day having those types of production values.

What would that make WWE and TNA? TNA is definitely Shyamalan. Not sure about WWE.

It's not about spinning crane shots and flashy production. I'm talking about the in ring stuff. Indie wrestling in general is Michael Bay wrestling. Everyone online seems to hate Michael Bay, but only the online folks give a shit about indie wrestling, so I'm forced to believe that indie fans have broken irony and sarcasm detectors.

Cagey

Banned
In my mind, all wrestling podcasts that aren't done by people like Austin are basically full of Matt Striker cunts and I'm not subjecting myself to that.
Cheap Heat, brother. Rosenberg and Shoemaker are relatively normal people who like wrestling way more than relatively normal people.

Aiii

So not worth it
One thing that bothers me about TNA is it's marks. Them dudes would find a excuse for every TNA blunder in existence.

"it's to stop the fans from being total marks...it's all about the wrestling in the ring dammit"

Saturday Morning Slam was awesome and I miss that show.

WWE Saturday Morning Slam - Daniel Bryan: http://youtu.be/EwimyIZKSbU

They're just a buncha DIX...ies...

RR_Wink_zps01jz81wl.0.gif

somedevil

lol, Pollock and Wai quit review an impact?

Canada doesn't get impact plus Wai probably doesn't want to do it anymore too. So they outsourced it to Nate and Brian Mann who attended the first taping night.

Plus I bet they don't want to do a podcast on Saturday though it doesn't stop Pollock from finding it online and writing a breakdown on what happened on the show for the fightnetwork. That is some dedication

http://fightnetwork.com/news/53268:impact-report-for-jan.-16-new-x-champ-lashley-beatdown/

I actually might have purchased the new 3ds if the regular one came stateside but just for shits and giggles I would love if nintendo announces on Monday the new regular 3ds will NEVER, EVER be available for purchase in the US.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nattie really is the total package when it comes to women's wrestling. She's got the look, she can wrestle, she's got an interesting character, she's got a story that crosses into the male world.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really want old NXT to come to the network.

Yeah, it's on Hulu, but if there's one video service that the Network is better than, it's fucking Hulu.

Alucard

Banned
It's not about spinning crane shots and flashy production. I'm talking about the in ring stuff. Indie wrestling in general is Michael Bay wrestling. Everyone online seems to hate Michael Bay, but only the online folks give a shit about indie wrestling, so I'm forced to believe that indie fans have broken irony and sarcasm detectors.

Debatable. There are definitely the stereotypical indie matches that you're thinking of, but also some all-time classics that rival anything done by any promotion out there. The majority of Danielson's major matches were fantastic and don't fit in with the flippy indie shit image people have of indie wrestling. One of the best-kept secret matches from ROH is James Gibson vs. Samoa Joe for the Pure Title...awesome submission-based match.

There is a car crash quality to a lot of ROH stuff, but some of those car crashes are damn fun to watch. (Cedric Alexander vs. Tommaso Ciampa no DQ from 3 weeks ago)

I mostly like that there's a legit alternative to the WWE, whose matches feel pretty formulaic, especially on tv.

strobogo

Banned
Debatable. There are definitely the stereotypical indie matches that you're thinking of, but also some all-time classics that rival anything done by any promotion out there. The majority of Danielson's major matches were fantastic and don't fit in with the flippy indie shit image people have of indie wrestling. One of the best-kept secret matches from ROH is James Gibson vs. Samoa Joe for the Pure Title...awesome submission-based match.

There is a car crash quality to a lot of ROH stuff, but some of those car crashes are damn fun to watch. (Cedric Alexander vs. Tommaso Ciampa no DQ from 3 weeks ago)

I mostly like that there's a legit alternative to the WWE, whose matches feel pretty formulaic, especially on tv.

It's not just about flips. It's about spots. Spot spot spot spot spot. They don't have to be flipping spots to be spots. Indie wrestling is far more about being cool and flashy instead of logical. You mentioned Bryan and Jamie Noble's ROH stuff, but rewatch them and you'll find they also fall into being spotty. Indie wrestling is a constant game of who can do crazier shit to pop the fans. It is technically an alternative, you are correct. But Transformers is technically an alternative to Hercules, and both fucking sucked.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Indie wrestling is slightly less staged Lucha. But at least Lucha has cool masks and knows it is a performance piece.

Alucard

Banned
It's not just about flips. It's about spots. Spot spot spot spot spot. They don't have to be flipping spots to be spots. Indie wrestling is far more about being cool and flashy instead of logical. You mentioned Bryan and Jamie Noble's ROH stuff, but rewatch them and you'll find they also fall into being spotty. Indie wrestling is a constant game of who can do crazier shit to pop the fans. It is technically an alternative, you are correct. But Transformers is technically an alternative to Hercules, and both fucking sucked.

I think you still get matches with guys working body parts and using logical moves. Not every match is a Young Bucks spotfest, but I get what you're saying. I feel PWG is a bigger offender of the type of indie wrestling you're talking about. More about getting your shit in and popping the crowd than telling a story that makes sense.

Saturday Morning Slam was amazing when you had good comedy wrestlers on. When you had guys like Randy Orton who just kept punching people in the head not so much.

I love that clip of D.Bry though. I think about that all the time when I'm gaming.

Speaking of gaming, I want to reply to Stro in that Zelda thread, but I think I already did months ago and I'm too lazy to do it again. Stro needs to try Link's Awakening, Wind Waker HD, or A Link Between Worlds though.

Edit: Bronson, go reply to my post in that Xenoblade thread.
Also, lol at the screenshot comparison that guy posted between the Wii and 3DS version. Could he have picked a worse screenshot?

strobogo

Banned
I think you still get matches with guys working body parts and using logical moves. Not every match is a Young Bucks spotfest, but I get what you're saying. I feel PWG is a bigger offender of the type of indie wrestling you're talking about. More about getting your shit in and popping the crowd than telling a story that makes sense.

What I find curious is that the Young Bucks are pretty popular online, while the Usos are hated, when they're the same team. It's just that one does their match in a safer way and have darker skin.

What I find curious is that the Young Bucks are pretty popular online, while the Usos are hated, when they're the same team. It's just that one does their match in a safer way and have darker skin.

The Bucks actually have charisma and their characters are "Lets be annoying as fuck".

Alucard

Banned

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. The Young Bucks are far more creative and athletic, and have far more charisma than The Usos. The only thing they have in common with one another is spamming super kicks. The Bucks also know how to work a crowd better.

strobogo

Banned
The Bucks actually have charisma and their characters are "Lets be annoying as fuck".

Most people don't like them because they do their gimmick well. And their matches haven't changed at all since they went with the meta LOLWE'REDOINGTHISSHITASJOKE shit. They have the same matches now that they had when they were earnest babyfaces who were doing all the things they do just to pop crowds as much as possible.

Whoa. Whoa. Whoa. The Young Bucks are far more creative and athletic, and have far more charisma than The Usos. The only thing they have in common with one another is spamming super kicks. The Bucks also know how to work a crowd better.

The Usos have the same match with every team, same spots in the same order, including superkick spamming. If the YB were in WWE, they'd be having the Usos match. Do the Bucks know how to work a crowd better? Because the Usos are over as fuck and get much bigger reactions in a random match on Raw than the Bucks get in a random match on a NJ show. I'm amazed that anyone could say the YBs are creative. They literally have the same match against everyone. There is no creativity to their matches. Ric Flair would say they are uncreative.

That is the first time I've seen/heard John Pollock. Please don't tell me anyone here likes him.

Is it so hard to find some reasonable wrestling media personalities?

Fuck off. Go listen to Heel Rosenberg.
John and Wai area the best. its the only podcast, in any genre, Ive stayed subscribed to. Any other personalities wear out their welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom