• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck off. Go listen to Heel Rosenberg.
John and Wai area the best. its the only podcast, in any genre, Ive stayed subscribed to. Any other personalities wear out their welcome.

Rosenberg is Striker-levels of bad. Unlistenable. Put Rosenberg with the Fight Network guys who do the NXT show on a rocket straight into the sun.

Pollock and Wai are terrific.

To be fair to The Usos, they're fucking huge

And bound to get bigger over time. Those Samoan genetics cannot be denied.

strobogo

Banned
Come on, stro. You don't really think The Usos could pull off a Meltzer Driver, do you?

Meltzer Driver is ridiculous overkill to begin with, but I fail to see how that makes the Young Bucks any better than the Usos. HBK was more athletic than Bret Hart in the 90s, but Bret had better matches. Poor athletes can be better wrestlers than super athletes, because actual athleticism isn't even 50% of being a good wrestler.

I'm pretty confident that if the Young Bucks were in WWE and the Usos were on the indies, people would hate the Bucks and be all about the Usos. Which is where the irony comes it, because they are the same team.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I think the Usos would pull of the meta heel gimmick better as well. I mean, they are already friends with the tenth level Meta Heel himself, John Cena.

strobogo

Banned
You can't truly be a meta heel on the indies. That makes you more of a face to indie fans. If the Bucks were truly trying to be meta heels, they would wrestle like 80s heels and do nothing but hammerlocks. But they don't. They do non stop super kicks and top rope moves in matches with no story to them at all. But because they do "indie stuff" with "irony", they're somehow great. Remember when PWG crowds turned on them HARD because they had the same match every show? Well, they STILL have the same match every show, but because they now do it "ironically", the indie dumb dumbs eat it up like they're in on the joke or something.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You can't truly be a meta heel on the indies. That makes you more of a face to indie fans. If the Bucks were truly trying to be meta heels, they would wrestle like 80s heels and do nothing but hammerlocks. But they don't. They do non stop super kicks and top rope moves in matches with no story to them at all. But because they do "indie stuff" with "irony", they're somehow great. Remember when PWG crowds turned on them HARD because they had the same match every show? Well, they STILL have the same match every show, but because they now do it "ironically", the indie dumb dumbs eat it up like they're in on the joke or something.

That and wrestling for NJPW automatically gives you one hundred points in Serious Wrestling Street Cred.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I agree with Stro 100% and I've never even seen one of their matches, but had the misfortune of seeing one of their shit promos. Frick the Bung Yucks.

DMczaf

tumblr_nibozokLFC1rz91llo1_250.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That angle made Austin a mega face beyond normal mega faces. He did the right thing damnit.

Worked on Shamrock too, shame his run was almost over by that point.

That angle made Austin a mega face beyond normal mega faces. He did the right thing damnit.

Worked on Shamrock too, shame his run was almost over by that point.

Goddamnit Shamrock had so much potential

Also ya Austin helping Vince by saving his daughter was pretty cool...until Higher Power derp

DMczaf

Alvarez teasing there might be a return of a "some what legendary tag team" soon, possibly in the Royal Rumble.

Demolition?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Alvarez teasing there might be a return of a "some what legendary tag team" soon, possibly in the Royal Rumble.

Demolition?

D-d-d-d-d-d-demolition?

AX?

What?

Bring the...AX HANDLE SMASHES!

EDIT: What do you want to know about Xenoblade? Just ask me. No need to deal with Nintendo "creepers"

Recall

WCW Fall Brawl 1996 (Sept 15 1996)

First time ever watching this show and coming off the whole NWO angle at the time I’m expecting some fun things here. I'm watching it via the WWE Network since its out over here in the UK. My reviews are less about spoiling the outcome and more about suggesting what is worth a watch.

Match: Diamond Dallas Page vs. Chavo Guerrero Jr.
Comments: Plenty of energy here making for an entertaining match and Chavo got a chance to showcase himself and DDP was no slouch either looking excellent. Both DDP and Chavo worked really well together with great interactions with moves that helped build up to the pinfall attempts and I wonder if they had a rematch because I would love to see it.
Rating: ***

We are then treated to a wonderful a recap of NWO forming and how WCW must band together to defeat the NWO and how the NWO has already ballooned in size.

Match: Scott Norton vs. Ice Train (Submission Match)
Comments: Big guys clubbing and slamming each other early on and the whole Submission idea was never well realised but it was all inoffensive and it was nice to see Ice Train put in far more effort than one would expect.
Rating: *1/2

Match: Juvented Guerrera vs. Konnan (c) (Mexican Heavyweight Title Match)
Comments: Konnan tossed Juvi like a rag doll at the start and it was awesome and Konnan continued to display plenty of awesome looking power moves throughout. Konnan and Juvi looked horrifically sloppy and almost all of the spots were fumbled through, they did try and tried every spot and move they knew but it was just the execution that left a hell of a lot to be desired, by blowing spots and lots of moves and the execution was so bad that it can’t be overlooked.
Rating: **3/4

Match: Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit
Comments: Jericho hadn’t found his groove yet in WCW but that didn’t detract him from trying to go toe-to-toe with Benoit. Benoit brought the goods (and the attitude) and the crowd responded accordingly and to be fair the crowd has been great all night so far. Overall it was a well earned competitive match and another lively match on event so far and with both Jericho and Benoit you know they will put in the effort.
Rating: ***1/2

Match: Super Calo vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. (c) (WCW Cruiserweight Title Match)
Comments: The crowd seem totally disinterested I’m not sure if that was because Calo was in control for most of the match or if they had no idea what to expect with him. Calo just flat out dominated Mysterio and kept him at bay for seemingly forever making for a very one sided and bit dull yet solid affair, the finish though was ace.

Match: Nasty Boyz vs. Harlem Heat (c) (WCW World Tag Team Title Match)
Comments: Punches, axe handles, clotheslines, kicks and rest holds. Crowd were solidly behind the Nasty Boyz and Harlem Heat were very good at annoying the crowd with the help of Sherrie so while it wasn’t technically proficient in regards to match quality it still got the desired response from the live crowd who were very much into it.

Match: Randy Savage vs. The Giant
Comments: Crowd are on their feet! Savage attempted a slam to the outside and got crushed by The Giant’s weight, I always love that spot. Lots of clobbering and rest holds by The Giant and once Savage got in a comeback the crowd lost it. The finish involved NWO shenanigans, but the crowd loved it all and when a crowd is hot it always helps even the worst matches.
Rating: **

Match: Hollywood Hogan, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash & NWO Sting vs. Lex Luger, Arn Anderson, Ric Flair & Sting (War Games)
Comments: WCW vs. NWO is without a shadow of the doubt just a fun thing to watch, the excitement in the air, the mystique, the uncertainty of it all made for a thrilling match. It wasn’t a masterpiece as it was a typical brawl but it sure as hell wasn’t a wasted opportunity and totally did what it needed. The crowd loved all of this and then some especially the Flair vs. Hogan confrontations.

Overall: A super fun show that wasn’t all about the match ratings but just the whole spectacle of the NWO vs. WCW angle and how much the crowd ate it all up. The card just flew by, thoroughly entertained and offered something for everyone along with making a huge deal about the NWO and its future, which made for a captivating watch.

---

I appreciate any glancing look though my summary.

strobogo

Banned
WCW Fall Brawl 1996 (Sept 15 1996)

First time ever watching this show and coming off the whole NWO angle at the time I’m expecting some fun things here. I'm watching it via the WWE Network since its out over here in the UK. My reviews are less about spoiling the outcome and more about suggesting what is worth a watch.

Match: Diamond Dallas Page vs. Chavo Guerrero Jr.
Comments: Plenty of energy here making for an entertaining match and Chavo got a chance to showcase himself and DDP was no slouch either looking excellent. Both DDP and Chavo worked really well together with great interactions with moves that helped build up to the pinfall attempts and I wonder if they had a rematch because I would love to see it.

We are then treated to a wonderful a recap of NWO forming and how WCW must band together to defeat the NWO and how the NWO has already ballooned in size.

Match: Scott Norton vs. Ice Train (Submission Match)
Comments: Big guys clubbing and slamming each other early on and the whole Submission idea was never well realised but it was all inoffensive and it was nice to see Ice Train put in far more effort than one would expect.

Match: Juvented Guerrera vs. Konnan (c) (Mexican Heavyweight Title Match)
Comments: Konnan tossed Juvi like a rag doll at the start and it was awesome and Konnan continued to display plenty of awesome looking power moves throughout. Konnan and Juvi looked horrifically sloppy and almost all of the spots were fumbled through, they did try and tried every spot and move they knew but it was just the execution that left a hell of a lot to be desired by blowing spots and lots of moves and the execution was so bad that it can’t be overlooked.
Rating: **3/4

Match: Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit
Comments: Jericho hadn’t found his groove yet in WCW but that didn’t detract him from trying to go toe-to-toe with Benoit. Benoit brought the goods (and the attitude) and the crowd responded accordingly and to be fair the crowd has been great all night so far. Overall it was a well earned competitive match and another lively match on event so far and with both Jericho and Benoit you know they will put in the effort.
Rating: ***1/2

Match: Super Calo vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. (c) (WCW Cruiserweight Title Match)
Comments: The crowd seem totally disinterested I’m not sure if that was because Calo was in control for most of the match or if they had no idea what to expect with him. Calo just flat out dominated Mysterio and kept him at bay for seemingly forever making for a very one sided and bit dull yet solid affair, the finish though was ace.

Match: Nasty Boyz vs. Harlem Heat (c) (WCW World Tag Team Title Match)
Comments: Punches, axe handles, clotheslines, kicks and rest holds. Crowd were solidly behind the Nasty Boyz and Harlem Heat were very good at annoying the crowd with the help of Sherrie so while it wasn’t technically proficient in regards to match quality it still got the desired response from the live crowd who were very much into it.

Match: Randy Savage vs. The Giant
Comments: Crowd are on their feet! Savage attempted a slam to the outside and got crushed by The Giant’s weight, I always love that spot. Lots of clobbering and rest holds by The Giant and once Savage got in a comeback the crowd lost it. The finish involved NWO shenanigans, but the crowd loved it all and when a crowd is hot it always helps even the worst matches.
Rating: **

Match: Hollywood Hogan, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash & NWO Sting vs. Lex Luger, Arn Anderson, Ric Flair & Sting (War Games)
Comments: WCW vs. NWO is without a shadow of the doubt just a fun thing to watch, the excitement in the air, the mystique, the uncertainty of it all made for a thrilling match. It wasn’t a masterpiece as it was a typical brawl but it sure as hell wasn’t a wasted opportunity and totally did what it needed. The crowd loved all of this and then some especially the Flair vs. Hogan confrontations.

Overall: A super fun show that wasn’t all about the match ratings but just the whole spectacle of the NWO vs. WCW angle and how much the crowd ate it all up. The card just flew by, thoroughly entertained and offered something for everyone along with making a huge deal about the NWO and its future, which made for a captivating watch.

---

I appreciate any glancing look though my summary.

Highlight of the show:
iboA8RUKMawuHJ.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Umm, I've played both versions, twice through each. There are practically none. Everything is still in British English (Colour, Armour, etc.) There's a minor bug fix here and there. The games are practically identical though, it only takes a small program to switch the save from PAL to NTSC.

Lol, I was referring to cert and such, hence the boring part. Even if you do what they did and just bring it over whole hog, it still costs money to get it rated and distributed over here.

But ya I hope the Dudleys get a final run, they've been gone for 10 years and both are ridiculously good right now

Edit: Jesus christ Man God you played it 4 times?!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Lol, I was referring to cert and such, hence the boring part. Even if you do what they did and just bring it over whole hog, it still costs money to get it rated and distributed over here.

But ya I hope the Dudleys get a final run, they've been gone for 10 years and both are ridiculously good right now

I mean, it's a Nintendo game. So it's approved by the console maker automatically. Only thing after that is getting it rated by the ESRB. It's somewhere between a T and an M content wise.

I mean, it's a Nintendo game. So it's approved by the console maker automatically. Only thing after that is getting it rated by the ESRB. It's somewhere between a T and an M content wise.

Nintendo still has to go through the steps to do cert (in case for some inane reason the NA version explodes something), so it still costs money in their eyes. Then just the general stuff that goes with shipping a retail game.

They really lessened the load by partnering with Gamestop + just using the Europe one, but they still needed to put money out there and do work.

They just hedged their bets on it and it worked out really well for them. Now the 3DS version will probably do alright.

My boy X-Pac is gonna be on RAW? Tuning in for sure to hear how Scott Hall, Nash and X-pac think HHH is a terrible person and how they liked him better when he wasn't a fuckin' MAAAAN, wearing that suit and those clown shoes, that aint you maaaaan! We miss the HHH who would do coke with us.

Alucard

Banned
Meltzer Driver is ridiculous overkill to begin with, but I fail to see how that makes the Young Bucks any better than the Usos. HBK was more athletic than Bret Hart in the 90s, but Bret had better matches. Poor athletes can be better wrestlers than super athletes, because actual athleticism isn't even 50% of being a good wrestler.

I'm pretty confident that if the Young Bucks were in WWE and the Usos were on the indies, people would hate the Bucks and be all about the Usos. Which is where the irony comes it, because they are the same team.

I'm not even a big fan of the Bucks, but I totally appreciate what they bring to the table. They're the definition of car crash indie wrestling and do it better than just about anybody else. Your original point was that they were the same team as The Usos, so I brought up the Meltzer Driver to put into question whether they were in fact the same team capable of the same things. I get that athleticism is not the only part of being a pro wrestler, but it doesn't hurt.

I think The Young Bucks have a better and more varied moveset than The Usos, and if they were in the WWE, they would be more interesting in the ring. When I think of The Usos, I think: super kicks, stereo dive, top rope splash. That's it. When I think of The Bucks, I think: super kicks, apron kicks, More Bang for Your Buck, through-the-ropes drop kicks, 360 dives, back rakes, moonsaults, springboards, etc. They'd probably be neutered a bit in the WWE, but I think they'd be more exciting than The Usos who basically have three moves that I can think of.

Totally forgot Shawn's "heel turn" on Bryan. Sometimes stuff like that was really annoying, like when Cena and Shawn feuded on the road to WM 23 and everyone just would not shut up about how shawn would turn heel.

Shawn swerving the canadian crowd with Bret's music still the GOAT moment tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom