• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rosenberg is the bottom of the barrel, "I don't know anything about wrestling but I'm going to act like I do" worse shit I've ever heard. Can't believe people listen to that guy.

Alvarez is at least charming, knows he's a goofball, and admits when he's wrong.

LAW is... ehh. Not the worst. I'll listen when I need something and got nothing else.

And I'll give Alvarez this much: his meltdowns over TNA's and WWE's stupidity are entertaining. And his writing can be good; his Figure 4 Weekly stories about hanging out backstage at a WWE show and working a Chikara show were pretty good.

Any way to watch NOAH, AJPW, or DG online and keep up with all their shows chronologically?

...watching LU ep.10 for the third time this week. Something really clicked with this episode for me. Awesome opener, good Chavo/Demon segment, crazy Drago dive, and a really good main event. Excellent stuff all around.

NOAH
https://www.youtube.com/user/ProWrestlingAARK
http://www.dailymotion.com/playlists/user/JAHMAL1111/1

AJPW

DG
http://www.openthedragongate.com/

Alucard

Banned
I wonder what makes me ok with springboard elbows yet absolutely detest springboard cutters.

Like, I watch Jay Lethal and think, "yeah, he's a solid midcard to upper midcard guy" and then he hits the Lethal Injection and all of that is thrown out the window.

I think part of it is his setup and execution of the move. He calls it out loud before he does it and totally telegraphs it by raising his hands up then pointing at the ropes before going for the springboard. Kind of cheesy. Would probably be better if it seemed to come out of nowhere.

I'm so glad he was able to leverage ESPN's access to interview people. He should be very proud of himself for latching on to Shoemaker and Grantland. Maybe he would be more listenable if he weren't drooling after the women wrestlers like he's Lawler's kid or other, more generally popping his loads about who he saw backstage.

Edit: Basically, I agree with TheWesker.

The drooling over women and making sexual jokes about divas either getting around or wanting to sex them is what turns me off a wrestling podcast quicker than most other things.

Cagey

Banned
If I want to listen to people talk wrestling, I either want people who know what they're talking about, meaning Austin, or normal dudes who are fans treating it like a pop culture show to review, like Cheap Heat

LAW and others are too too pretending to know what's going on backstage while knowing shit. Can't deal with that.

Wow only 3 New japan stars are coming to the ROH shows

Right now the plan is for ROH to book only 2-3 wrestlers from New Japan Pro Wrestling for the Toronto ROH shows in May.

Originally, the plan was to bring in the 8 or more wrestlers like last year which was ROH booker Delirious (Hunter Johnston)'s intent but ROH COO Joe Koff is uneasy about spending that level of money in 2015 on New Japan talent. Last year the company barely broke even on the 2 shows. Johnston believes the partnership can be very lucrative in the long-term and has pitched airing the shows as pay-per-views to recoup the money of bringing in an elite crew like in 2014, but that would disrupt the plan to do the Best in the World June pay-per-view. Gilleland doesn't believe it's worth disrupting their PPV calendar which they are just now establishing and taking on more risk.

Fox318

Powerbombcast is nice but Jeff is so jaded about everything in life it's making that and the bombcast tough to listen too.

He needs a detox from games and social media for a month.

Cagey

Banned
I'm so glad he was able to leverage ESPN's access to interview people. He should be very proud of himself for latching on to Shoemaker and Grantland. Maybe he would be more listenable if he weren't drooling after the women wrestlers like he's Lawler's kid or other, more generally popping his loads about who he saw backstage.

Edit: Basically, I agree with TheWesker.
He's a successful radio show host in NYC the past decade on one of handful of the nation's most important hip hop stations. Hot 97. His access isn't owed to espn. He's interviewed wrestlers prior to the Grantland connection.

DiscoJon

Banned
Bros, just got home from my blind date. In a shocking swerve I certainly didn't see coming...

It went pretty damn good!
tumblr_m8bh6mP1Pn1r324lio1_400.gif

He's a successful radio show host in NYC the past decade on one of handful of the nation's most important hip hop stations. Hot 97. His access isn't owed to espn. He's interviewed wrestlers prior to the Grantland connection.

I know of his work with Hot 97. Doesn't make him any more listenable to me.

Correction: the irony of his calling out Wendy Williams for being a gossip queen did crack me up, so he's entertained me once.

No matter what you think of all these podcasters/radio hosts/blind dates, they'll all be saying the same thing next week when Reigns win the Rumble.

UberTag

That's a real bummer. Especially if they won't announce with New Japan stars they're bringing over in advance.
Very disingenuous when it comes to using the NJPW name to garner early ticket sales.
What if the 3 guys we get are Toru Yano, Doc Gallows and Captain New Japan?

I know it hurt peoples feelings last time, but that dinky ROH arena image REALLY hurt a lot of those guys images. Nakamura should not be in some dimly lit tiny arena unless it's to score some blow.
Who says he didn't score some blow? That was a pretty seedy neighborhood in Toronto they wrestled in.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That's a real bummer. Especially if they won't announce with New Japan stars they're bringing over in advance.
Very disingenuous when it comes to using the NJPW name to garner early ticket sales.
What if the 3 guys we get are Toru Yano, Doc Gallows and Captain New Japan?

The Young Bucks and Rob Conway.

JavyOO7

Even though I'm not a fan of the current Roman Reigns push, I still think he's alright. I'm actually a bit scared that if he swings and a miss on this push that he might not ever sniff the main event spot after this... leading him to purgatory on the mid card essentially for life. Or even fired. And I don't want to see that extreme case happen. Just a random thought that came to my mind. =p

Yeah, turn off WM21 after HBK/Angle.

A great show becomes a pretty good show pretty quickly.

And it continues to fade the longer this heatless Batista/HHH match goes.

Even though I'm not a fan of the current Roman Reigns push, I still think he's alright. I'm actually a bit scared that if he swings and a miss on this push that he might not ever sniff the main event spot after this... leading him to purgatory on the mid card essentially for life. Or even fired. And I don't want to see that extreme case happen. Just a random thought that came to my mind. =p

That is highly unlikely. Reigns is pretty much made for life as I see it. He's the new Orton, but they think he's the next Cena is all.

JavyOO7

On the recent NXT house shows they are doing this match:

A three way with Neville, Itami and Balor

Now I'm wondering if they might
insert Itami in the Balor and Neville match on next special

I hope not. I don't remember NXT reneging on something like that so it'd suck if they did. If that's the case, make some silly story that Corbin could just the trio match to make it a four way. I'm still legit shook that Neville beat Corbin, by the way. =p

strobogo

Banned
Stro, can we get a Lucha Underground review from you at some point? The latest ep would be cool!

No. I gave LU a solid five or six episodes despite not liking lucha to begin with. I don't like the in ring style, the over produced production style for both the in ring and backstage stuff, the plant audience, or the announcing. It all feels like the episode of Family Matters where Carl and Steve had a match against the Bushwhackers.

UberTag

Superoman is winning the Rumble, people. Don't kid yourselves.
Vince always sticks to his plans no matter how flawed unless someone like CM Punk unexpectedly takes his ball and goes home.

Alucard

Banned

Eh, I'm not too sad about that. They've done Global Wars shows where they've brought in 2 NOAH talents and they still did that. I'd imagine that at least one of the names they'll bring in will be one of the big 3. The Young Bucks could also likely come in to count as New Japan talent on top of the other two or three guys. Regardless of the amount of guys who come over, you know they'll sell out either way.

Alucard

Banned
No. I gave LU a solid five or six episodes despite not liking lucha to begin with. I don't like the in ring style, the over produced production style for both the in ring and backstage stuff, the plant audience, or the announcing. It all feels like the episode of Family Matters where Carl and Steve had a match against the Bushwhackers.

To each their own I guess. I get why you wouldn't like it, as I have some problems with the commentary at times too, but I thought you might end up finding enough stuff to like about it to stick with it. The last 2 episodes in particular have been as good as anything I've ever seen on a pro wrestling show. If you don't like the lucha style to begin with, can't really fault you for dropping out, though. In the end, it's a business and I want them to make money. Surprised to hear they barely broke even because people were lining up for the autograph special and the merch was flying off the shelves at that Toronto show last year.

UberTag

Report from last night's house show from St. Louis, MO...

(4) Daniel Bryan & Roman Reigns vs. Big Show & Kane – This was weird as it was advertised that these four were going to have their own individuals matches with Bryan vs. Kane and Big Show vs. Reigns but I thought it was disappointing they put Bryan and Roman as a tag. Crowd was LOUD for Bryan and my section was very vocal in the anti-Reigns chants. Bryan takes most of the punishment while building towards the hot tag for Roman towards the end. Match ends with Bryan and Reigns winning when both of them hit their finishers and both pinned Big Show and Kane, even though Bryan was the legal man. Reigns was barely in the match.
Incidentally, you guys should be reading between the lines because D.Brine wouldn't be chattering on so much about being "the face of Smackdown" and making it a bigger ratings draw than RAW if he was getting the world title any time soon. Cena will never show up while he's burying Rusev and others while Superoman will show up occasionally (as the face of both shows) to leech off D.Brine's fan support.

Bryan doing most of the work despite just coming back from an injury lol

Also, yeah, all of his interviews reek of "you guys need to riot again, plz"

strobogo

Banned
To each their own I guess. I get why you wouldn't like it, as I have some problems with the commentary at times too, but I thought you might end up finding enough stuff to like about it to stick with it. The last 2 episodes in particular have been as good as anything I've ever seen on a pro wrestling show. If you don't like the lucha style to begin with, can't really fault you for dropping out, though. In the end, it's a business and I want them to make money. Surprised to hear they barely broke even because people were lining up for the autograph special and the merch was flying off the shelves at that Toronto show last year.

I don't understand why you like anything that you like, friend.

Finally finished Wrestlemania 21. Both of the World Title matches were shitty in their own way. Batista/HHH a little less.

Both could have been half as long and accomplished just as much if not more.

Finally finished Wrestlemania 21. Both of the World Title matches were shitty in their own way. Batista/HHH a little less.

Both could have been half as long and accomplished just as much if not more.

JBL vs. Cena was underwhelming. For the match that finally brought Cena to the WWE Title, that finish was totally out of nowhere and really awkward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom