• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vylash

Reigns is gonna win the rumble.

I hope that crowd shits on it

baby girl, reigns ain't winning shit, the giant's gonna eliminate him with a fistful of sufferin' succotash, and you can believe....................................................that

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Watched an All Japan show from '95 the other night, the one with Kawada & Kobashi's hour long draw (which was amazing), and I forgot how fun the all-gaijin 6-man tags were. This one had Hansen & the Can-Am's vs Williams, Ace & Smith. The Can-Am Express are an all-time underrated tag team, as far as I'm concerned, and took part in one of my favourite tag matches ever (vs Kobashi & Kikuchi in 1992). They were great in this, but even better was Hansen yelling orders at them from ringside. Also, classic blind as a bat Hansen came in to break up a submission on Danny Kroffat and kicky poor Danny right the in the face, lol. Hansen was being a massive prick to Williams, as well, just sucker punching him for no good reason. Generally, I'd say it's a bad idea to piss off Dr. Death, but if you're Stan Hansen then I guess it's OK. Johnny Smith was a bit shit (UK wrestler who tried to get by as a fake younger brother of Dynamite Kid), but fucking drilled Kroffat with a piledriver. Also, Johnny Ace was a mean son of bitch in this, Kroffat getting a face full of boot on a stiff-as-fuck spinning heel kick.

Sounds like a lot of fun. Dailymotion link or is it in your archives?

Weird: Animal and his son.
EVjZbYP.jpg

Kaladin

Seriously guys, if NXT starts touring more you should go. I haven't had that much fun at a house show ever.

There were some meh matches, but it was still fun.

Will go again when I'm able to...they're back next month, but it's a Friday instead and I can't on Fridays.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't sure if it was online (as the show itself only surfaced a year or so ago), but here you go;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmJStscGDl4

Also, seriously consider watching that Kobashi/Kawada match. Kawada tweaks Kobashi's injured knee in the fourth minute and Kobashi sells that shit for a further fifty six minutes.

lmao was one of these commentators in witness protection or something? Cracking me up with that almost voice masking.

Thank you :)

In shenmue you kick a soccer ball into some bratty gang members face while he's harassing a kid and look like a fuckin' boss. what's not to like?

2 had that #2sweet qte (a great qte for god's sake!) through that building in kowloon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hah, no that's just Baba, I think. He had a super deep voice.

I just don't think I ever noticed before - surely I've heard him on commentary before at this point, but for some reason it never got my attention.

Watched Mania 13 last night. Weird mix of dope and horrible. Ahmed Johnson really looked like he belonged in the LOD moreso than Droz ever did.

Xater

Shenmue is the sort of thing you have to say you like to establish bona fides as a true gamer, so a lot more people claim they loved it than likely did.

Bullshit.

Played the first one after the Dreamcast was already dead and bought the Xbox version of Shenmue 2. Still loved both of them.

Zach

Zach, what BARRRR is Roman Reigns?

A pile of dogshit in a burning paper bag.

I'm sorry but that is not a candy that I could get behind...

WCW Fall Brawl 1996 (Sept 15 1996)

First time ever watching this show and coming off the whole NWO angle at the time I’m expecting some fun things here. I'm watching it via the WWE Network since its out over here in the UK. My reviews are less about spoiling the outcome and more about suggesting what is worth a watch.

Match: Diamond Dallas Page vs. Chavo Guerrero Jr.
Comments: Plenty of energy here making for an entertaining match and Chavo got a chance to showcase himself and DDP was no slouch either looking excellent. Both DDP and Chavo worked really well together with great interactions with moves that helped build up to the pinfall attempts and I wonder if they had a rematch because I would love to see it.
Rating: ***

We are then treated to a wonderful a recap of NWO forming and how WCW must band together to defeat the NWO and how the NWO has already ballooned in size.

Match: Scott Norton vs. Ice Train (Submission Match)
Comments: Big guys clubbing and slamming each other early on and the whole Submission idea was never well realised but it was all inoffensive and it was nice to see Ice Train put in far more effort than one would expect.
Rating: *1/2

Match: Juvented Guerrera vs. Konnan (c) (Mexican Heavyweight Title Match)
Comments: Konnan tossed Juvi like a rag doll at the start and it was awesome and Konnan continued to display plenty of awesome looking power moves throughout. Konnan and Juvi looked horrifically sloppy and almost all of the spots were fumbled through, they did try and tried every spot and move they knew but it was just the execution that left a hell of a lot to be desired, by blowing spots and lots of moves and the execution was so bad that it can’t be overlooked.
Rating: **3/4

Match: Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit
Comments: Jericho hadn’t found his groove yet in WCW but that didn’t detract him from trying to go toe-to-toe with Benoit. Benoit brought the goods (and the attitude) and the crowd responded accordingly and to be fair the crowd has been great all night so far. Overall it was a well earned competitive match and another lively match on event so far and with both Jericho and Benoit you know they will put in the effort.
Rating: ***1/2

Match: Super Calo vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. (c) (WCW Cruiserweight Title Match)
Comments: The crowd seem totally disinterested I’m not sure if that was because Calo was in control for most of the match or if they had no idea what to expect with him. Calo just flat out dominated Mysterio and kept him at bay for seemingly forever making for a very one sided and bit dull yet solid affair, the finish though was ace.

Match: Nasty Boyz vs. Harlem Heat (c) (WCW World Tag Team Title Match)
Comments: Punches, axe handles, clotheslines, kicks and rest holds. Crowd were solidly behind the Nasty Boyz and Harlem Heat were very good at annoying the crowd with the help of Sherrie so while it wasn’t technically proficient in regards to match quality it still got the desired response from the live crowd who were very much into it.
Rating: *1/2

Match: Randy Savage vs. The Giant
Comments: Crowd are on their feet! Savage attempted a slam to the outside and got crushed by The Giant’s weight, I always love that spot. Lots of clobbering and rest holds by The Giant and once Savage got in a comeback the crowd lost it. The finish involved NWO shenanigans, but the crowd loved it all and when a crowd is hot it always helps even the worst matches.
Rating: **

Match: Hollywood Hogan, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash & NWO Sting vs. Lex Luger, Arn Anderson, Ric Flair & Sting (War Games)
Comments: WCW vs. NWO is without a shadow of the doubt just a fun thing to watch, the excitement in the air, the mystique, the uncertainty of it all made for a thrilling match. It wasn’t a masterpiece as it was a typical brawl but it sure as hell wasn’t a wasted opportunity and totally did what it needed. The crowd loved all of this and then some especially the Flair vs. Hogan confrontations.

Overall: A super fun show that wasn’t all about the match ratings but just the whole spectacle of the NWO vs. WCW angle and how much the crowd ate it all up. The card just flew by, thoroughly entertained and offered something for everyone along with making a huge deal about the NWO and its future, which made for a captivating watch.

---

I appreciate any glancing look though my summary.

Nice.

Alucard

Banned
Those of you with New Japan World, have you noticed the new player they're using? What do you think of it? I feel like it degrades the quality to standard or slightly pixelated quality much more often than the original player.

Does that taping the ribs shit actually work IRL? Because my bro fractured his ribs in a car accident recently and he's bitching about how he can barely get out of bed in the morning and shit and I'm just wondering if it'll help.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Those of you with New Japan World, have you noticed the new player they're using? What do you think of it? I feel like it degrades the quality to standard or slightly pixelated quality much more often than the original player.

Ass for me, I can only get through a match on low quality. Here's hoping it's just my browser.

Agreed - the video quality isn't as good and I'm getting a lot more buffering too.

strobogo

Banned
I had Shenmue when I had a Dreamcast. All I really remember is running around and opening drawers. And a bubble gum machine. NBA 2K01 blew my mind way more. I don't really remember having anything for my DC besides 2K01, Shenmue, a Sonic game, Royal Rumble, and Crazy Taxi.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I had Shenmue when I had a Dreamcast. All I really remember is running around and opening drawers. And a bubble gum machine. NBA 2K01 blew my mind way more. I don't really remember having anything for my DC besides 2K01, Shenmue, a Sonic game, Royal Rumble, and Crazy Taxi.

RR and Attitude were so bad :(

Crazy Taxi was dope. Loved Zombie Revenge, all the other SEGA arcade games. Felt like a bargain to me as opposed to spending quarters at the arcade. :( I miss you arcades.

Alucard

Banned
Watching Fantastacamania from last night. Man, the timing and balance to climb up the ropes like this is super impressive to me.

Triton-Barbaro-Dive.gif

It's Triton onto Barbaro.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man I miss Gaborn still, but some of these OT threads are just horrifying.

A different shade of horrifying, look into that "sexiest scenes with no nudity" thread for some real horrific folks. Some people are taking it normal, others are opening a window into a scary nightmare world of shit they used to beat off to as a child...and still do.

strobogo

Banned
Man I miss Gaborn still, but some of these OT threads are just horrifying.

A different shade of horrifying, look into that "sexiest scenes with no nudity" thread for some real horrific folks. Some people are taking it normal, others are opening a window into a scary nightmare world of shit they used to beat off to as a child...and still do.

Has no one made a thread about the What It's Like to Date Your Dad NYmag article? Because holy shit that article had me legit shook the entire way through. Seemed like a Gaborn thread.

For MLK Day, I'm going to go through all my gifs and find black people being dope. Should I include Norman Smiley? His British ancestry makes me question if I should include him or not.

I reviewed both TMDK/Yankees and Kojima/Marufuji here but in short, watch both of the matches, both really good and I think Marufuji/Kojima is great (keep in mind I actively tend to avoid Marufuji matches).

Cagey

Banned
Power Stone for DC was the shit. NBA2K blew my mind too.

Shenmue, if it took place anywhere but Japan, no one would have cared.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So here's the bad news.

I can't get my streaming setup to work with my old 360 anymore. It's dead. It's a shame, but it's dead and done.

This means I must stream the Avatar Rumble with WWE2k15, which is NOT ideal due to multiple reasons, the biggest being that it's capped at 30 entrants.

So we have a smaller pool this year. And I'm enacting a new rule.

We are a community of members who have spent time in Wrassle-GAF and gotten to know each other. Therefore, I will be taking entries from everyone, but we WILL hit the cap for 30 early and instead of cutting off submissions, post count will play a factor to see if you get a spot or not. The purpose of this is to keep our avatar being selected by someone who doesn't even post here and just lurk. I'm sorry it has to be this way, lurkers, but I feel since this is a true community event, it should favor those active in the community.

You may start PMing me your Avatar Rumble submissions now!

Crazy Taxi, Hydro Thunder, and Marvel Vs Capcom 1 & 2 are my fondest memories of the Dreamcast. I really liked Sonic Adventure at the time but it doesn't hold up at all today. Still play the first level with the whale from time to time though.

So here's the bad news.

I can't get my streaming setup to work with my old 360 anymore. It's dead. It's a shame, but it's dead and done.

This means I must stream the Avatar Rumble with WWE2k15, which is NOT ideal due to multiple reasons, the biggest being that it's capped at 30 entrants.

We are a community of members who have spent time in Wrassle-GAF and gotten to know each other. Therefore, I will be taking entries from everyone, but we WILL hit the cap for 30 early and instead of cutting off submissions, post count will play a factor to see if you get a spot or not. The purpose of this is to keep our avatar being selected by someone who doesn't even post here and just lurk. I'm sorry it has to be this way, lurkers, but I feel since this is a true community event, it should favor those active in the community.

yesssssss, entered

Guzim

Has no one made a thread about the What It's Like to Date Your Dad NYmag article? Because holy shit that article had me legit shook the entire way through. Seemed like a Gaborn thread.

For MLK Day, I'm going to go through all my gifs and find black people being dope. Should I include Norman Smiley? His British ancestry makes me question if I should include him or not.

WTF at that article?!

Also, I say include Norman Smiley because he's awesome.

Xater

So here's the bad news.

Oh well. Curious to see what kind of clusterfuck 2k15 will be. Did I miss when exactly the Avatar rumble will be taking place? Just wondering because of time zones. Really want to watch it with everyone else.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh well. Curious to see what kind of clusterfuck 2k15 will be. Did I miss when exactly the Avatar rumble will be taking place? Just wondering because of time zones. Really want to watch it with everyone else.
The night before the Royal Rumble. Let's go with exactly 24 hours before!

Guys....morning coffee, yay or nay?

I gotta have at least one cup to start my morning.

Morning Coffee tends to lead me to an inevitable rush to the can at some point within the next hour. So I try to stick with afternoon Coffee which sidesteps that effect and push tea to late night.
Also wrestling, errr remember that time Benoit made Coffee among other things in the time it took for him to beat Orlando Jordan at Summerslam 2005? that was a gimmick that happened and involves coffee.

So here's the bad news.

PM'd

DiscoJon

Banned
So here's the bad news.

LTT3eGW.gif

PM Sent!

I've been watching WCCW most nights this week and really enjoyed it so far. Despite him rarely appearing I think 'The Spoiler' looks amazing. He comes across cool as hell.

spoiler+1.jpg

Sadly, Michael Hayes is ruining things. His appearance in the Flair/Von Erich cage match as special referee is terrible, and at times appears to be overshadowing the action with his stupid antics. Also he's a terrible ref. I feel like he botches several spots with his goofy interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom