• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vee_One

Watched the 2007 Royal Rumble last night. I think there were only 4-5 current active wrestlers (sorry, superstars) in it. Everyone else was either fired/left or had passed away.

Kane of course was one of them.

Also, we can all joke about Kane in 2015 but he only has a few years on Cena and Orton...

JavyOO7

I'd say 1992 Rumble so you can see how much swag Ric Flair has during that entire event. When he comes out to participate you can tell shit is about to get awesome. I'd gif his entrance but I'm terrible with producing .gif's.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I love this Arn Anderson face.
kA1uBA1.jpg

Fox318

I'd say 1992 Rumble so you can see how much swag Ric Flair has during that entire event. When he comes out to participate you can tell shit is about to get awesome. I'd gif his entrance but I'm terrible with producing .gif's.

what about the crowd popping when hogan is eliminated and they edited in booing for DVD copies?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I would say Arn is the King of the Striped Polos though
QPE9WGt.jpg

Carnby

How fast is your Internet? I have Xfinity Comcast with 50 mbps and there hasn't been any skipping since I upgraded to that speed. Connected by ethernet too.

I have 30Mbps down. Which should have been plenty for interrupted streaming. The biggest advantage of the up grade is moving to the 5Ghz band. I scanned both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands, and all of my neighbors are on 2.4, leaving me the only person on 5Ghz.

What bar did Punk raise? I am genuinely asking.
The bar of what a superstar should deliver to the audience. Wrestling was better when CM Punk was involved, whether it was in the ring, on the mic, or at the announce table. You always got at least something out of an angle when he was in the picture, even if it was just "OMG Kevin Nash thought he was dead LOL".

I'm vibing hard on the one billy gunn's theme song

The bar of what a superstar should deliver to the audience. Wrestling was better when CM Punk was involved, whether it was in the ring, on the mic, or at the announce table. You always got at least something out of an angle when he was in the picture, even if it was just "OMG Kevin Nash thought he was dead LOL".

Punk's "bar" is that of the WWE babyface. Nothing new there. "OMG Kevin Nash thought he was dead LOL" exemplifies that.

Linkified

I don't know how to feel about this, so many mixed emotions, he really should be retiring from in ring at this point (as should Big Show for that matter) but seeing that he's my all time favourite I'd hope for a send off better than what he'll probably get.

Putting over D.Bryan getting tombstoned on concrete seems like an appropriate send off.

Watched Suzuki/Okada from the G1, loved how how well Suzuki uses the closed fist. The fact that New Japan (and most promotions outside of WWE) pay attention to the closed fist rule means he can't just be throwing them out left and right, he can maybe get away with one so he waits for the perfect moment and BAM, sucker punches someone with it. Stands out so much amongst all the chops and forearms and elbows and gets such a massive reaction from the crowd, especially when you've got Okada selling it like death.

Punk added nothing to the Bryan vs. Wyatt angle, and it was pretty clear then that he was going through the motions and unhappy with being in such a stupid angle.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Watched Suzuki/Okada from the G1, loved how how well Suzuki uses the closed fist. The fact that New Japan (and most promotions outside of WWE) pay attention to the closed fist rule means he can't just be throwing them out left and right, he can maybe get away with one so he waits for the perfect moment and BAM, sucker punches someone with it. Stands out so much amongst all the chops and forearms and elbows and gets such a massive reaction from the crowd, especially when you've got Okada selling it like death.

I went back and watched Ishii vs Nagata from the G1. It's so nice to pick ANYTHING from the G1 these past few years and be virtually guaranteed a dope match. Nagata winning the slap war was great.

Is anyone selling plain black "KANE IN 2015" tshirts? Seems like the perfect thing for those carny shirt places Punk was pimping.

I'd wear one in solidarity for Kane. Despite how negatively he is used I still have a soft spot for the old lug.

Actually I'm shocked that despite the thousands of tshirt-a-day websites out there that print a million Dr Who/popculture shit there isn't one that does wrestling ones too.

Punk added nothing to the Bryan vs. Wyatt angle, and it was pretty clear then that he was going through the motions and unhappy with being in such a stupid angle.
Punk not clearing the bar that he raised on one occasion when he was hurt and sick isn't evidence that he didn't raise the bar.

strobogo

Banned

I like Nakamura's closed fist punch more. But no one did it better than Kensuke Sasaki. I also enjoy Nak's arrow knuckle style elbow he uses to win strike battles.

Punk not clearing the bar that he raised on one occasion when he was hurt and sick isn't evidence that he didn't raise the bar.

Raise the bar? THERE'S NO BAR TO RAISE.

The point is every top babyface conforms to WWE standards. Bryan did. Even Ambrose and Reigns, who people had hope for to break the mold.

I was referring more to in-ring stuff, though. I guess Punk was the first indie guy to make it big. Bryan's taken it to another level now. Rollins and Ambrose are poised to as well. Maybe.

Striker

Why is Bryan attached with the best team MLB that comes from San Francisco if he's from Seattle? Because that one dude with a beard?

Outside a few weeks in July, it sucked hard.

StYK2.gif

Why is Bryan attached with the best team MLB that comes from San Francisco if he's from Seattle? Because that one dude with a beard?

Someone on the team saw the Michigan State team doing the Yes chant. So he started doing it when the Giants would score. His teammates pointed out it was Bryan that got it going.

It snowballed from there.

Recall

WCW Bash at the Beach 1997

I believe this PPV drew a monster buyrate (or at least WCW alluded to it doing well) and it was all due to the mainstream attention of Dennis Rodman wrestling on the show, so let’s give it a watch as I’ve never seen it before. This recap is less about spoiling the outcome and more about seeing if something is actually worth our time watching.

Match: Glacier & Ernest Miller vs. Wrath & Mortis
Thoughts: It’s like if the Mortal Kombat cast were pro-wrestlers and to be fair it is an interesting set of ring gear on display here. Plenty of energy keeping the crowd interested along with cool looking strikes especially the kicking variety making for a totally watchable match, add in high impact moves and you have an unexpectedly fun tag encounter.
Rating: ***

Match: Ultimo Dragon vs. Chris Jericho (c) (WCW Cruiserweight Title Match)
Thoughts: These two mesh so well and have competed against each other plenty of times before this point, the crowd weren’t the overly interested at the start but by the end they seriously had them engrossed. They seemingly both wanted to prove themselves by going that extra step creating something that was exceptionally exciting and entertaining.
Rating: ****

Match: The Steiner Brothers vs. Masahiro Chono & Great Muta
Thoughts: On paper this looks like a fucking incredible match up yet it wasn’t what I was hoping for and it sorely lacked any structure to really help build up the comebacks and pinfall attempts. There were plenty of big moves and slams though, along with an amazing finishing move but it felt more like a spot fest rather than a competitive match.
Rating: **

Match: Juventud Guerrera, Hector Garza & Lizmark Jr. vs. Psychosis, La Parka & Villano IV (Lucha Libre Rules)
Thoughts: What an insanely chaotic match, it had the kinetic energy you would expect and everyone had their moments to shine with bodies flying everywhere and high risk moves a plenty but the execution just really hindered the final product. It was honestly fun, it was full of great visuals and it was enjoyable in its own special way making for a good one-off spectacle that you would never need to watch a second time.
Rating: ***

Match: Chris Benoit vs. Kevin Sullivan (No DQ Career vs. Career Match)
Thoughts: Crazy brawl all over the place at the start including fighting on the beach set by the entrance way, which they incredibly destroyed. It really could have done with someone bleeding to add to the drama as it lost a bit of its sparkle once they got back in the ring but it still was a modest fight.
Rating: **1/2

Match: Mongo McMichael vs. Jeff Jarrett (c) (WCW United States Heavyweight Title Match)
Thoughts: Offered no redeeming qualities what so ever beyond the crowd shitting all over Jarrett.
Rating: *

Match: Scott Hall & Randy Savage vs. Diamond Dallas Page & Curt Hennig
Thoughts: Savage and DDP had amazing chemistry against each other, which they showcased constantly throughout 1997 and the crowd loved their few interactions here. It was a terrible tag match with very little effort from either Hall or Hennig topped off by a typical WCW style finish that would have best been suited for Nitro.
Rating: *

Match: Ric Flair vs. Roddy Piper
Thoughts: Dusty comments that no wrestler is ever past their prime to justify this match up happening in 1997. It begins with Piper being full on aggressive punching and chopping Flair with no care in the world, which Flair sells wonderfully. Neither guy progressed beyond what they know best, falling into some of the classic routines they have done hundreds of times before but it never got boring as they portrayed it more of a fight while the crowd kept it extremely lively. I found this match to be far less insulting and more of a “holy shit these guys are still willing to try” eye opener.
Rating: **3/4

Match: Lex Luger & The Giant vs. Dennis Rodman & Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Thoughts: The power of Rodman hitting an armdrag is enough for the crowd to lose their minds. It is a crazy display of hype delivering more than the workrate, the spectacle and anticipation of the match is enough to keep everyone happy and mask the obvious downfalls. It was totally inoffensive especially if you keep your expectations in check but it did take a while to get going.
Rating: **

Overall: WCW post 1994 was known for having shockingly poor uppercard matches and looking solely at the stars it would seem to hold true but the Flair vs. Piper match was much better than I ever dreamed possible and the main event, while it was too long didn’t really offend because it’s not as if you were expecting a 5 star classic. It was a decent show and had a wide range of match styles that I never found myself wanting to skip over a match. Match of the card goes to Jericho vs. Dragon and give the opener a look if you want a pleasant surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom