• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
WM 31 coming up
Triple H getting caught 'doing something nice'
Photo that could 'go viral'
'Oh see how sad Raw kid got a free invite to Wrestlemania 31'

zABM4nI.gif

If I'm thinking logically, I wouldn't have someone who is a serious contender for the Rumbe and WWE WHC lose to Bray Wyatt who is a complete joke.

I don't think his chances are damned by just that though.

They are building Wyatt up for Taker, so he is strong right now. Hell, the only match Wyatt has lost in the past two months was that Tribute to the Troops match where they babyfaces always win. So no, Wyatt is not a joke according to their recent booking of him. And they always do the whole "guy loses/looks weak before a PPV" thing with guys who end up winning at the PPV. And this was more to build the match with Kane on SD because they want SD to be a bigger deal now. They want him to be the underdog going in, so they have him lose here.

So yeah. Logic.

Alucard

Banned
It was great hearing JR get flabbergasted at how hard Ishii and Makabe were beating the shit out of each other

Yep. Watched that match again yesterday, and it was really damn stiff. Can't believe Ishii wants to do it again.

How would ya'll rate Raw on a scale of 1 to 10 tonight? Which segments are worth watching? Haven't read anything about the show.

Yep. Watched that match again yesterday, and it was really damn stiff. Can't believe Ishii wants to do it again.

How would ya'll rate Raw on a scale of 1 to 10 tonight? Which segments are worth watching? Haven't read anything about the show.

6-6.5. Great ending. Some alright stuff (Bryan vs. Wyatt, Ambrose vs. Barrett), some not great stuff (Ascension/NWO stuff). I'd say watch the Bryan segment and the ending.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
How is Bray Wyatt a complete joke but the dude who got taken out by Kane somehow isn't?

Bray isn't booked as a joke. He's awful and I want him off my television screen but his booking isn't bad for a WWE heel in 2015.

I still get the feeling they've shifted away from Reigns. Every time Bryan is on screen, it's constant Royal Rumble talk. Every time Bryan grabs a mic, he talks about the Rumble. Meanwhile, Reigns is talking about Jack and the Beanstalk. If you weren't reading dirtsheets, you wouldn't have any reason to believe Reigns was winning the Rumble.

Maybe that kid was crying because he thought Cesaro wouldn't main event mania and HHH was trying to tell him that he is booked to win the rumble?

That kid was likely crying because he had to sit through a 4 hour show which only included about 30 minutes of worthwhile entertainment (outnumbered by the amount of commercial minutes)

Bray isn't booked as a joke. He's awful and I want him off my television screen but his booking isn't bad for a WWE heel in 2015.

I still get the feeling they've shifted away from Reigns. Every time Bryan is on screen, it's constant Royal Rumble talk. Every time Bryan grabs a mic, he talks about the Rumble. Meanwhile, Reigns is talking about Jack and the Beanstalk. If you weren't reading dirtsheets, you wouldn't have any reason to believe Reigns was winning the Rumble.

but Roman de-declared it

They are building Wyatt up for Taker, so he is strong right now. Hell, the only match Wyatt has lost in the past two months was that Tribute to the Troops match where they babyfaces always win. So no, Wyatt is not a joke according to their recent booking of him. And they always do the whole "guy loses/looks weak before a PPV" thing with guys who end up winning at the PPV. And this was more to build the match with Kane on SD because they want SD to be a bigger deal now. They want him to be the underdog going in, so they have him lose here.

So yeah. Logic.

I'm aware of the rumors of Taker/Wyatt. Nothing Wyatt has done has ever mattered, and beating a Streak-less Old Man Taker won't change that.

Meanwhile Bryan gets tripped on the apron and hits a turnbuckle pad that sets up his defeat. That was a chump loss.

Yes, the finish to Bryan/Bray could be logical down the line. Is it now?

No idea. Was it logical to have the guy lose his first Raw match in 9 months, when he last wrestled a Raw match he was the Champion of the World? Probably not. That's a lot of where the issue is.

It also says a lot about his positioning. Would they do this to Reigns? Oh hell no. They haven't and they wouldn't. Would they do it to Cena? They pinned him last week, but it took 16 lumberjacks or whatever. This isn't top face booking, no matter how you slice it. Bryan was a stupid idiot babyface who got attacked and then distracted by Kane, and lost.

Does Bryan lose something coming out of this? Only if it continues. If he wins the Rumble Sunday and the Championship at Mania? It made perfect sense, because Bray is now a logical challenger.

If Bryan loses the Rumble and is then in some meaningless program next week heading into Mania, it meant nothing and wasn't logical. Except for they think Bray is some great talent who can take on the Undertaker in what will be a shitty match that won't help him, and he'll be no higher next year. That's not a prediction, that's a spoiler. Lovely. Great use of your babyface star putting over the blackhole of Bray Wyatt. Who gives half a flying fuck.

I'm really trying not to get angry about this or whatever but fuck. I waited 9 months for this, and things aren't looking good after they looked great for the past few weeks. This is why there was a small part of me who I didn't want Bryan back. I didn't want to get suckered back in. I guess the best way to take WWE is to not get invested, and that's what I've got to try and do.

Hex

Banned
I'm aware of the rumors of Taker/Wyatt. Nothing Wyatt has done has ever mattered, and beating a Streak-less Old Man Taker won't change that.

Meanwhile Bryan gets tripped on the apron and hits a turnbuckle pad that sets up his defeat. That was a chump loss.

No, it was a cheated loss by the heels because he was overcoming adversity.
Injury + Kane outside.
It is pretty much the most text book way to put someone over (Wyatt) while having your face still look ok.
And that will lead up to a burn off match Thursday which Bryan will win.
Text book wrestling booking.
Chump loss?
You're a mark.

No idea. Was it logical to have the guy lose his first Raw match in 9 months, when he last wrestled a Raw match he was the Champion of the World? Probably not. That's a lot of where the issue is.

It also says a lot about his positioning. Would they do this to Reigns? Oh hell no. They haven't and they wouldn't. Would they do it to Cena? They pinned him last week, but it took 16 lumberjacks or whatever. This isn't top face booking, no matter how you slice it. Bryan was a stupid idiot babyface who got attacked and then distracted by Kane, and lost.

Does Bryan lose something coming out of this? Only if it continues. If he wins the Rumble Sunday and the Championship at Mania? It made perfect sense, because Bray is now a logical challenger.

If Bryan loses the Rumble and is then in some meaningless program next week heading into Mania, it meant nothing and wasn't logical. Except for they think Bray is some great talent who can take on the Undertaker in what will be a shitty match that won't help him, and he'll be no higher next year. That's not a prediction, that's a spoiler. Lovely. Great use of your babyface star putting over the blackhole of Bray Wyatt. Who gives half a flying fuck.

I'm really trying not to get angry about this or whatever but fuck. I waited 9 months for this, and things aren't looking good after they looked great for the past few weeks. This is why there was a small part of me who I didn't want Bryan back. I didn't want to get suckered back in. I guess the best way to take WWE is to not get invested, and that's what I've got to try and do.

7Vcjwav.gif

Nothing would make me happier if Sunday makes all these posts look like Bryan Mark delirium but eeeeeh

Alucard

Banned

Eh, should've been prepared for this, man. Don't worry, Bryan's winning in 2016.

No, it was a cheated loss by the heels because he was overcoming adversity.
Injury + Kane outside.
It is pretty much the most text book way to put someone over (Wyatt) while having your face still look ok.
And that will lead up to a burn off match Thursday which Bryan will win.
Text book wrestling booking.
Chump loss?
You're a mark.

Bryan didn't look OK to me in that loss. He looked like an idiot who tripped and hit a pad to set up his loss.

I am a mark though.

I'll disagree with you. I still think it is logical to get Bray over if nothing else. Even if you disagree with the choice of Bray, it does get him over, which is probably a main concern of their's if he is in fact working Taker. Like I said earlier, I still don't think Bryan is winning the Rumble. But this as build to it is completely fine. As for Bryan, his character is the underdog. As such, the stories they tell with him will be the odds being stacked against him. Him losing going into an important match with Kane plays into that. Him losing the week of the Rumble plays into that. Would they do that to Cena or Reigns? Absolutely not. But that's not a fair comparison because Bryan as both a wrestler and a character isn't in the same scenario as Cena or Reigns. Cena and Reigns are "tough guys" and "Supermen". Bryan is the guy who fights from the bottom and scraps his way to the top. If Bryan was booked like Cena and Reigns and won all the time, it would take away from his best asset: playing the underdog. The timing of it being his first match back on Raw is irrelevant. There is a story to tell and they are telling it.

Hex

Banned
Bryan didn't look OK to me in that loss. He looked like an idiot who tripped and hit a pad to set up his loss.

I am a mark though.

We all are for someone or something or we wouldn't be in here.
I think they take for granted the whole Kane thing and forget that this is 2015 and he is not menacing anymore and do not realize that everyone is sick as hell of the lack of clean finishes and how predictable it is.

UberTag

Any chance I thought Daniel Bryan had of winning the Rumble on Sunday is now gone.

Roman Reigns is winning.

Fuck This Company.

CornetteFace.jpg
I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.
If D.Brine loses tomorrow night against Kane, I'd say there's some room for optimism.

If he beats Kane, though... his chances are close to nil.

(Yes, you read that correctly.)

If D.Brine loses tomorrow night, he will draw a late entry into the Rumble match and win.

Paracelsus

Someone needs to throw away his career and shoot on Kane as in "literally not one soul cares about your brimstone flabby ass in 2015, just go away".

I'll disagree with you. I still think it is logical to get Bray over if nothing else. Even if you disagree with the choice of Bray, it does get him over, which is probably a main concern of their's if he is in fact working Taker. Like I said earlier, I still don't think Bryan is winning the Rumble. But this as build to it is completely fine. As for Bryan, his character is the underdog. As such, the stories they tell with him will be the odds being stacked against him. Him losing going into an important match with Kane plays into that. Him losing the week of the Rumble plays into that. Would they do that to Cena or Reigns? Absolutely not. But that's not a fair comparison because Bryan as both a wrestler and a character isn't in the same scenario as Cena or Reigns. Cena and Reigns are "tough guys" and "Supermen". Bryan is the guy who fights from the bottom and scraps his way to the top. If Bryan was booked like Cena and Reigns and won all the time, it would take away from his best asset: playing the underdog. The timing of it being his first match back on Raw is irrelevant. There is a story to tell and they are telling it.

The fact that Bray needs getting over at this point says it all.

It's not about the stereotypes of Superman or Underdog. I understand that's how WWE plays it, and arguably wrestling in general but I reject those notions in 2015. Bryan can play the underdog in a scenario with Lesnar because that makes sense, but this guy beat 3 members of Evolution clean at Mania but struggles with some half ass interference and a buckle pad.

Ultimately, I guess I just don't like wrestling, because I realize those are all well worn and standard tropes and here we are with Kane in 2015.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Someone needs to throw away his career and shoot on Kane as in "literally not one soul cares about your brimstone flabby ass in 2015, just go away".

Guys like working with Kane though. I don't think I've ever heard a negative remark about him. He and Bryan have a built in story and they probably think he's a safe guy to work with coming off injury.

I know some guys here won't be happy until Bryan is booked like Super Cena but I'm willing to let this play out a bit more.

The fact that Bray needs getting over at this point says it all.

It's not about the stereotypes of Superman or Underdog. I understand that's how WWE plays it, and arguably wrestling in general but I reject those notions in 2015. Bryan can play the underdog in a scenario with Lesnar because that makes sense, but this guy beat 3 members of Evolution clean at Mania but struggles with some half ass interference and a buckle pad.

Ultimately, I guess I just don't like wrestling, because I realize those are all well worn and standard tropes and here we are with Kane in 2015.

You are looking at a booking decision with a personal slant. Just because you don't think Bray is over doesn't mean they aren't booking with the goal of getting him over. Similarly, just because you don't think wrestling is about underdogs and Superman and all those tropes, doesn't mean WWE isn't still booking with those ideas and tropes in mind. All I am saying is that, from a booking perspective, I think it is logical and I can understand why they did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom