• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_nhmz35PPiK1s0py9no1_1280.jpg

Punk: "Wow, that looked stiff."
AJ: "Oh no, remembering that embarassing thing I did in 8th grade again."

Anyone ever see that episode of Friends where Monica dates some rich dude who has a middle life crisis and decides to give MMA a go and gets his ass kicked?

So I'm assuming WK9 was amazing.

Now I'm wondering if I can survive going in spoiler free for the English replay tonight, or just giving in and watching it now/reading and such.

Gonzalez

Banned

Now I'm wondering if I can survive going in spoiler free for the English replay tonight, or just giving in and watching it now/reading and such.
Dude, just wait a bit. Read a book, surf the web, or just play Sonic Boom. I'm sure there are hundreds of ways to pass the time.

Wants to be spoilerfree... keeps telling people on the internet, and browses social media. You deserve everything you get.

Hasney

I think I'll put Smackdown on, that'll be better than watching adverts,.

*Ryback V Big Show is on*

Huh, I wonder how they advertise cars these days.

"Super kick party"
"Larry-otto"
"Shin-sooky"

For a guy who only had a passing knowledge of puro and had literally 2 months to become accustomed to the product I think he did a pretty good job. I wouldn't call them the announcers of the year or anything but they at least tried to make the matches enjoyable. My only problem was Striker's smarkness and JR's old-school commentating clashed very often, and it was pretty obvious that they had nobody in their ear so they could just talk about whatever the fuck they wanted, and there was a lot of awkward moments where they literally had nothing to talk about and just had to repeat shit.

Also, I was a bit miffed that NJPW didn't provide subtitles for any of the prematch stuff or had a live translator for the promos and they basically just used their feed. It was pretty awkward when they signed off for the night and they switched to the Japanese announcers, but you couldn't hear a word they said. GFW should have just cut the feed right there. Still, this was a fucking NJPW show on American TV, and the wrestling was fucking awesome, so I can excuse the awkwardness of the presentation. Still, if GFW wants to reach an audience outside of the ultra-hardcore wrestling fans and the IWC they're going to have to do much better.

Heel

For a guy who only had a passing knowledge of puro and had literally 2 months to become accustomed to the product I think he did a pretty good job. I wouldn't call them the announcers of the year or anything but they at least tried to make the matches enjoyable. My only problem was Striker's smarkness and JR's old-school commentating clashed very often, and it was pretty obvious that they had nobody in their ear so they could just talk about whatever the fuck they wanted, and there was a lot of awkward moments where they literally had nothing to talk about and just had to repeat shit.

Also, I was a bit miffed that NJPW didn't provide subtitles for any of the prematch stuff or had a live translator for the promos and they basically just used their feed. It was pretty awkward when they signed off for the night and they switched to the Japanese announcers, but you couldn't hear a word they said. GFW should have just cut the feed right there. Still, this was a fucking NJPW show on American TV, and the wrestling was fucking awesome, so I can excuse the awkwardness of the presentation. Still, if GFW wants to reach an audience outside of the ultra-hardcore wrestling fans and the IWC they're going to have to do much better.

From my view Jim Ross was pretty aimless and never really any semblance of stride until the later singles matches. To be fair, a lot of the early matches were spot fests with no slow down and would've had a small stroke trying to do pbp.

Matt Striker did his part to paint the picture for the uninformed viewer, but the smark was just way too much for me to handle. Jim Ross trying to keep him in check was pretty entertaining though, especially the "...what's a swerve?" moment. Not that it stopped Striker from closing the show with "Marking out bro." Guh.

strobogo

Banned
From my view Jim Ross was pretty aimless and never really any semblance of stride until the later singles matches. To be fair, a lot of the early matches were spot fests with no slow down and would've had a small stroke trying to do pbp.

Matt Striker did his part to paint the picture for the uninformed viewer, but the smark was just way too much for me to handle. Jim Ross trying to keep him in check was pretty entertaining though, especially the "...what's a swerve?" moment. Not that it stopped Striker from closing the show with "Marking out bro." Guh.

Did he really end the show with that line?

Xater

So far WK9 is fun. I'm at the Makabe/Ishii match. English comentar is fine. It's not amazing but no fucking shit show as WWE. I'm not getting annoyed by it.

Heel

Did he really end the show with that line?

It's a blur at this point, but it came out of his mouth toward the end of the show. Pretty sure Jim Ross didn't even dignify it with a response.

Also, I never want to hear Matt Striker talk about "Puroredesu" or beg JR to say "LARIAT-OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" again. Holy frick, friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom