• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

In response to one of those stupid gifs, I don't think anyone's mad, just in awe of how wrong one person can be. It's like reading the equivalent of watching a simplythebest YouTube video.

New page thankfully. We can pretend all this silliness never happened.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just a reminder to you all that Tanahashi made it so some kid with cancer wouldn't get any money last night. And since he kicked out of the rainmaker, that means Naito and Nakamura and everyone else is going to start kicking out of it.

All them kids with cancer never gonna get money again.
GM9zK4m.gif

Bless you, Tanahashi. Working the Shibata marks by burying him and then putting him in the tag division so he won't take your spot, working the Bullet Club marks by jobbing AJ so you can have the Wrestle Kingdom main event payday instead and Okada marks and working the Heel and Frecklejunior marks. The greatest heel in professional wrestling history.

Japanese Skrillex ?

Here;

I still gotta berry you for throwing shade at my boy Shin-sooky.

It's fine. At least you're mature enough to agree to disagree, rather than insult me as a human being. We have share differing opinions, but that doesn't mean we can't still be friends. Unlike Stro and others who are more willing to abandon me, rather than accept me or attempt to sway my opinion otherwise.

Just a reminder to you all that Tanahashi made it so some kid with cancer wouldn't get any money last night. And since he kicked out of the rainmaker, that means Naito and Nakamura and everyone else is going to start kicking out of it.

All them kids with cancer never gonna get money again.

Wow, I didn't even put that together. I hate Tanahashi even more. Was Okada heel? I associate money with villains in wrestling, but then they said how he gives like 30k to cancer research for every match he wins, which is pretty amazing.

DAMMIT TANAHASHI YOU GOOB

strobogo

Banned
Here;

It's fine. At least you're mature enough to agree to disagree, rather that insult me as a human being. We have share differing opinions, but that doesn't mean we can't still be friends. Unlike Stro and others who are more willing to abandon me, rather than accept me or attempt to sway my opinion otherwise.

Wow, I didn't even put that together. I hate Tanahashi even more. Was Okada heel? I associate money with villains in wrestling, but then they said how he gives like 30k to cancer research for every match he wins, which is pretty amazing.

It's fine. At least you're mature enough to agree to disagree, rather than insult me as a human being. We have share differing opinions, but that doesn't mean we can't still be friends. Unlike Stro and others who are more willing to abandon me, rather than accept me or attempt to sway my opinion otherwise.

Hey man, I'm not gonna insult your opinions. My gif barrage was more out of being baffled and confused more than anything else. It's just really weird to read when you've seen so much evidence to the contrary. I sure as shit disagree with you, but I'm not gonna say you're bad for liking (or disliking) a certain thing

RP912

Banned
About to watch the english replay of Wrestle Kingdom 9. I spent the whole day watching the wrestle kingdom weekend thingie....I'm crazy :/

Hey man, I'm not gonna insult your opinions. My gif barrage was more out of being baffled and confused more than anything else. It's just really weird to read when you've seen so much evidence to the contrary. I sure as shit disagree with you, but I'm not gonna say you're bad for liking (or disliking) a certain thing
screw that, ALL DISRESPECK to Freckle from now on

strobogo

Banned
Pretty sure I'm in the midst of bronchitis developing, due to continually making out with a girl that has been sick for like a month. Starting to feel it now. Sore throat. Achy body. Slight cough.

Does NJPW not have a women's division by the way..? I was kinda hoping for a match where women actually have time to do something.

I dunno. It's my first time watching ANYTHING outside of stuff in the west that isn't WWE/WCW/TNA. I haven't even seen RoH or other indie shit other than what shows up on Botchamania. So I'm used to having some kinda character loyalty or some kinda story heading into it, and if anything, it made me realize that storytelling is something I've gotten very used to in wrestling and I guess I had issues adapting to a lack of it, or the lack of understanding the story in this case. I wasn't invested in these matches.

Like that 'shoot' fight with those MMA guys. It was talked about like it was a dream match we never thought was going to happen. I didn't care because I don't know anything about these guys, but I'm sure for those who knew, it was as big of a deal as they were claiming it was. You get where I'm coming from..?

I don't get Tanahashi. I legit don't. The only thing I knew about NJPW heading into WK9 was; Bullet Club stuff and Nakamura and Okada gifs (which I really liked, I mention having hype and looking forward to watching them) but what I watched didn't live up to those gifs and the fanboy talk that these guys get around here, I felt like they didn't live up to the hype YOU GUYS gave me for them. I went into this completely blind and fresh to it all and by the way you guys make it seem, in time, I'll come to realize how blind I really was as time goes on, and that's fine. I WANT to like it more than I already do. I'm sold on future events.

So yeah, you guys can either just accept that or I'll just keep playing up the role ya'll gave me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nope, New Japan has never done joshi stuff. And All Japan would have destroyed them in it during its heyday. NJPW barely has a juniors division as it is.

I always get the impression Baba was a lot less sexist than Choshu or Inoki. The North Koreae vent, I think, was the only time joshis ever worked in New Japan. And I assume that had to do with their WCW relationship.
tumblr_m9cj1rs82J1rq5iico1_400.jpg

strobogo

Banned
Does NJPW not have a women's division by the way..? I was kinda hoping for a match where women actually have time to do something.

I dunno. It's my first time watching ANYTHING outside of stuff in the west that isn't WWE/WCW/TNA. I haven't even seen RoH or other indie shit other than what shows up on Botchamania. So I'm used to having some kinda character loyalty or some kinda story heading into it, and if anything, it made me realize that storytelling is something I've gotten very used to in wrestling and I guess I had issues adapting to a lack of it, or the lack of understanding the story in this case. I wasn't invested in these matches.

Like that 'shoot' fight with those MMA guys. It was talked about like it was a dream match we never thought was going to happen. I didn't care because I don't know anything about these guys, but I'm sure for those who knew, it was as big of a deal as they were claiming it was. You get where I'm coming from..?

I don't get Tanahashi. I legit don't. The only thing I knew about NJPW heading into WK9 was; Bullet Club stuff and Nakamura and Okada gifs (which I really liked, I mention having hype and looking forward to watching them) but what I watched didn't live up to those gifs and the fanboy talk that these guys get around here, I felt like they didn't live up to the hype YOU GUYS gave me for them. I went into this completely blind and fresh to it all and by the way you guys make it seem, in time, I'll come to realize how blind I really was as time goes on, and that's fine. I WANT to like it more than I already do. I'm sold on future events.

So yeah, you guys can either just accept that or I'll just keep playing up the role ya'll gave me.

Some stuff I think would be weird if you didn't have a background on them. Like Sakuraba vs Suzuki. They have a long history going back to shoot-style promotions in the 1990s. Without knowing anything about them or shoot style in general, that match would probably be weird as shit. As for Nakamura, Okada, and Tanahashi, there really isn't anything to explain and if you watched them and weren't into any of them, I'm not sure NJPW is for you. There is a background with Okada/Tanahashi (Basically, Tanahashi has been THE MAN for years, Okada is super young and the Golden Child, yet Tanahashi manages to upstage Okada almost every time when it counts, including WK9) but I don't think it was really all that necessary to know to enjoy.

I don't know the back story to Ibushi/Nakamura, even though I watched most NJPW shows last year. It was incredible, I thought. The Japanese style takes some time to get used to if you're completely new to it. The concept of grumpy cunts and disrespect really never translated to American wrestling, even though indie dudes have been doing the fighting spirit no sells and strike battles (without the cultural significance) for years.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I just plain don't like NJPW. Can't get into it. I'll try some of the archived footage stuff later this month.

strobogo

Banned
I just plain don't like NJPW. Can't get into it. I'll try some of the archived footage stuff later this month.

Whole NJPW shows are pretty draining. Almost nothing matters in the first 60-90 minutes. But the second half of shows are as good as anything generally.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The most depressing thing about modern wrestling to me is the lack of monsters.
I have to watch joshi shows to see anything close to 'monster booking' in 2014/2015. I want spectacle and there is none.

RP912

Banned
I don't mind the common flaws in NJPW. It's something about letting the match tell a story over writers trying to convinced the fans that a storyline is going on. The only issue I been having so far is trying to follow the history of NJPW. It seems like overkill compared to WWE/F, WCW, and other american promotions.

Some stuff I think would be weird if you didn't have a background on them. Like Sakuraba vs Suzuki. They have a long history going back to shoot-style promotions in the 1990s. Without knowing anything about them or shoot style in general, that match would probably be weird as shit. As for Nakamura, Okada, and Tanahashi, there really isn't anything to explain and if you watched them and weren't into any of them, I'm not sure NJPW is for you. There is a background with Okada/Tanahashi (Basically, Tanahashi has been THE MAN for years, Okada is super young and the Golden Child, yet Tanahashi manages to upstage Okada almost every time when it counts, including WK9) but I don't think it was really all that necessary to know to enjoy.

I don't know the back story to Ibushi/Nakamura, even though I watched most NJPW shows last year. It was incredible, I thought. The Japanese style takes some time to get used to if you're completely new to it. The concept of grumpy cunts and disrespect really never translated to American wrestling, even though indie dudes have been doing the fighting spirit no sells and strike battles (without the cultural significance) for years.

It's totally for me. There wasn't a single match that I didn't wish I hadn't watched. I wasn't bored and I was entertained throughout the entire night. I was actually kinda pissed because I just saw this Tanahashi guy as Japanesina and Okada is only 27 I think they said? Like pass the fucking torch. I was watching the chat get super pissed off at this finish.

I dunno. I liken it to how when I was with my ex and she wanted to try getting into wrestling, and coincidentally it was around Mania when she decided she wanted to. Obviously there is a language thing and she had me there to try and catch her up to speed on the storylines and stuff, but it doesn't matter because she wasn't along for the ride. She wasn't there to see Bryan get fucked out of the main event for Batista, she didn't know about how he had to work his ass off to get to this point in his career. She didn't care about him. and I wasn't going to get upset with her because she didn't freak out with taker and brock, she just.. didn't get it.

But over the next few months, she started to pick out guys she liked to watch and their characters. So I know how you guys feel, I just wish you guys didn't jump down my throat about the whole thing lol.

All I'm trying to get at is that I did enjoy the matches, but I didn't know anyone's motivation outside of "The bullet club are cunts" that's all. Maybe that's just the commentary team's fault for not helping me understand it as well as they could have. I just feel like you guys are kinda underselling that you have a history with all these characters and that it adds to your enjoyment because it's such a subconscious thing.

I really enjoyed myself, as I said over and over. I probably will come back to look at my initial impression of NJPW in 2016 and have a good laugh about it. Like, I'm not doing this to get a rise out of you guys. I legitimately want to find an alternative to WWE and I really do enjoy what I've seen thus far. This is just my ignorant first impression, that's all it is.

XenoRaven

Confession. The first Nakamura match I had ever seen was against Shelton Benjamin and I thought Shelton came off looking way better.

It took time but I warmed up to Nakamura, and now he's in my fave five.

That undercut hairstyle is popular as fuck right now, don't see how that makes him the Japanese Skrillex

:(

The most depressing thing about modern wrestling to me is the lack of monsters.

I have to watch joshi shows to see anything close to 'monster booking' in 2014/2015. I want spectacle and there is none.

Yup. Stone Cold talked last week on his podcast about the lack of jobbers, those wrestlers that weren't there for a belt, they were there to make another wrestler look like a million dollars. They have this to a lesser extent in NXT with the Corbin program at the moment but it'd be perfect for the bloated runtimes of the Raw/Smackdown system.

I'd tune in every week to see the Wyatt brothers fuck up some no name losers for 5 minutes each episode. That way they don't make the other midcard wrestlers look like shit or if they try to make it an even wash of wins it makes NONE of the wrestlers look good.
Those boys can fucking go too. Get some monster clotheslines in, get the jobber to sell to buggery and everyone can have a hell of a fun time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yup. Stone Cold talked last week on his podcast about the lack of jobbers, those wrestlers that weren't there for a belt, they were there to make another wrestler look like a million dollars. They have this to a lesser extent in NXT with the Corbin program at the moment but it'd be perfect for the bloated runtimes of the Raw/Smackdown system.

Isn't that what Cesaro is for?

Foffy

Banned
looooool. holy moly.

edit:.wow. i don't why freckle is getting heat for this. i thought it was hilarious. That dude looks like a broke ass statue of liberty.

I believe it was intentional. HHH always trying to keep relevancy while Nakamura is always trying to keep up the crazy. Nakamura looked fucking ridiculous, which totally fits his style.

RP912

Banned
I don't want jobbers to make a comeback in 2015 :/

I used to get infuriated by watching Mike Sharpp get fucked up for the 5th week in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom