• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
¡HarlequinPanic!;146052832 said:
Never knew this spot had love.

I remember seeing it on edge/orton at vengeance 2004 and me and my friends all had a prettttty big laugh over it. What's the appeal?

It's a shitty spot with wrestlers who aren't very fast. Like Edge and Orton. But when you have former ungodly fast track athletes like Yoshino or Taiyo, it can be entertaining. And that particular match was over the 'high speed' title. So it was more of a show off thing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
¡HarlequinPanic!;146052832 said:
Never knew this spot had love.

I remember seeing it on edge/orton at vengeance 2004 and me and my friends all had a prettttty big laugh over it. What's the appeal?

Mainly comedy. Why are they running the ropes and not doing spots? Plus its great when someone breaks up the party with a scoop slam or dropping to the mat.

Man, I didn't know John Cena vs Randy Orton was the main event of Wrestlekingdom 9...

I assumed it was Cena Miz because Okada looked like a Japanese Miz to me. I was expecting him to get a concussion then the Rock would come out and save the main event.

It's a shitty spot with wrestlers who aren't very fast. Like Edge and Orton. But when you have former ungodly fast track athletes like Yoshino or Taiyo, it can be entertaining. And that particular match was over the 'high speed' title. So it was more of a show off thing.

That's pretty cool

Fox318

WuH2POz.gif

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Lol I thought I was the only one that seen the comparison.
Even my dad saw the comparison, and he barely even watches casually.(Mostly because we watch.) I was litterlly calling spots as they happened, it followed the pattern to a t.

The other side of the globe, and the main event is still the same. What a wonderful world.

After having watched NJPW for the first time. I think Cesaro would be amazing over there. So other than cash and probably being away from family, why would someone choose WWE over a place like New Japan? Especially a guy like Cesaro who cut that promo on RAW. More exposure to the rest of the world I guess..? I mean, it seems like if you want to do WRESTLING a promotion in Japan is probably the place to go, no..?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Somebody better enter Nakamura in the Avatar Rumble. I would but I'm already committed to Brittle Bones Barett.

Is the Avatar Rumble even going to happen? Can we get that many characters into the "Next-Gen" version of WWE 2K?

Maybe I'll hook up my rig and do a pregame event of No Mercy Old School RAW Avatar rumble. Making thirty dudes is no problem at all. 4 at a time only though so matches can take forever.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
After having watched NJPW for the first time. I think Cesaro would be amazing over there. So other than cash and probably being away from family, why would someone choose WWE over a place like New Japan? Especially a guy like Cesaro who cut that promo on RAW. More exposure to the rest of the world I guess..? I mean, it seems like if you want to do WRESTLING a promotion in Japan is probably the place to go, no..?

Karl Anderson said that anyone who said they don't want to go to WWE is a liar.

The only people I can see saying no to a WWE contract is Nakamura, Tanahashi, and Okada. Because they get paid more by NJPW and get to stay closer to home. I'm pretty sure Okada was one of the first guys Triple H wanted.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This isn't the mid 90's where the real money for EVERYONE was in Japan. If you're a star WWE will pay you like one, and if you're not, well, work hard and maybe you'll get there.

WK9 was great.

I'm really glad I shelled out for it. The main event was great (and my wife has decided Okada is her new favorite wrestler) but I enjoyed the Intercontinental match and the Sakuraba matches slightly more.

As much as I enjoyed Jim Ross's commentary, I enjoyed hearing him genuinely excited about what he was seeing in the ring even more.

Karl Anderson said that anyone who said they don't want to go to WWE is a liar.

The only people I can see saying no to a WWE contract is Nakamura, Tanahashi, and Okada. Because they get paid more by NJPW and get to stay closer to home. I'm pretty sure Okada was one of the first guys Triple H wanted.

Makes sense. I mean, I know why anyone would want to try their hand at a WWE run, but I just wanted to see if there was an argument against it.

Jim ross should come back to wwe.

No thanks. He's better than what we got, but that's like the lesser of two evils at this point. They're seemingly grooming Renee for an announcer role.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nakamura's mannerisms translate better more to like QWOP than WWE 2k15
QWOPLegend.gif

YEOH
Makes sense. I mean, I know why anyone would want to try their hand at a WWE run, but I just wanted to see if there was an argument against it.
It's murderous on your body and your relationship with your family. Bobby Roode didn't want one because he knew he'd be away from his two young sons for too long and he'd rather take less money in TNA and be around his family than be gone all year long.

Terrabyte20xx

WK9 was great.

I'm really glad I shelled out for it. The main event was great (and my wife has decided Okada is her new favorite wrestler) but I enjoyed the Intercontinental match and the Sakuraba matches slightly more.

As much as I enjoyed Jim Ross's commentary, I enjoyed hearing him genuinely excited about what he was seeing in the ring even more.
What main event did you watch, because I want to see that instead. Both the IC and AJ vs Naito were WAAAAAAAY better than the ME.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

It also makes a lot of sense for a Japanese star to not go over there. None of them have worked out so far.

The most over Japanese guy in the WWE was...Yokozuna. Then Fooj the Stooge.

XenoRaven

Less money, and you have to either live in or spend a bunch of your life in a foreign country.

Slizeezyc

Wrestle Kingdom was sooooooo good.

Man, and JR picked up his game in the back half.

I feel like Ibushi grabbed dat brass ring too.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What main event did you watch, because I want to see that instead. Both the IC and AJ vs Naito were WAAAAAAAY better than the ME.

I'm with you. I thought the High Fly Flow spot near the start ruined every bit of suspense in that match and I knew the outcome as soon as I saw it. Because I knew what the next kickout would be which meant I knew who was gonna win.

Unlike IC where I was positive Ibushi was gonna win it then Shinsuke then Ibushi. AJ vs Naito as well because when AJ went for the clash, Naito looked like he was trying to counter it.

WK9 for me was like

1. Ibushi vs Nakamura
2. Sakuraba vs Suzuki (if you're not a UWF style fan, I can see why this might not be as high for some people, but I LOVED this match.)
3. AJ vs Naito
4. Ishii vs Makabe(which I have a hard time believing given my hatred of Makabe but it worked the way it was supposed to work)
5. Okada vs Tanahashi

Heroman

Banned

No thanks. He's better than what we got, but that's like the lesser of two evils at this point. They're seemingly grooming Renee for an announcer role.
What, Jim is goat and is way better than that Michael or jbl. Watching wk9 you could how good Jim Ross is

WK9 for me was like

1. Ibushi vs Nakamura
2. Sakuraba vs Suzuki (if you're not a UWF style fan, I can see why this might not be as high for some people, but I LOVED this match.)

We agree on some things certainly :)

It amazes me to see Saku limp down to the ring, then move like water inside it. That guy... so awesome.

It also makes a lot of sense for a Japanese star to not go over there. None of them have worked out so far.

The most over Japanese guy in the WWE was...Yokozuna. Then Fooj the Stooge.

Damn, and Yoko wasn't even Japanese. Well, let's hope Hideo can open the door for others to come over.

What, Jim is goat and is way better than that Michael or jbl. Watching wk9 you could how good Jim Ross is

I've been watching a lot of older WWE stuff, and I dunno, he's not as great as you remember him. But he's fucking fantastic at conveying emotion to people. He certainly is better than what we have. You also have to remember that he wouldn't be working with heel King like he used to. JR has a LOT of nostalgia around him that was ruined for me pretty recently. He's nowhere near terrible, he's great. But probably not as good as you remember him.

RP912

Banned
That doesn't necessarily mean it pays better than WWE, though. It most certainly pays better than TNA though

True.

On the outside looking in I see time on the road, a steady income, and better chance to getting a brass ring. The only issue I'm seeing with wrestlers going to NJPW is the whole "Lost in Translation" feeling.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
We agree on some things certainly :)

It amazes me to see Saku limp down to the ring, then move like water inside it. That guy... so awesome.

Suzuki's arm sell was the best sell of the night. And that's even over Ishii who probably really was hurting.

As opposed to the main event where the only thing I remember about it was Tanahashi making that insane jump

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TNA right now is a losing proposition money wise. Can't be on any indie that makes money. Get paid by appearance is the only positive. Merch sales at the venue is going to suck. House shows if they start up again don't make money.

Ring of Horrible as a base of operations seems to be the way to go if you're not at the level where you can make money at WWE. From there you can book dates pretty much everywhere else.

Terrabyte20xx

WK9 for me was like

1. Ibushi vs Nakamura
3. AJ vs Naito
4. Ishii vs Makabe(which I have a hard time believing given my hatred of Makabe but it worked the way it was supposed to work)
5. Okada vs Tanahashi
I would put the AJ match above Sakuraba's just barely, but that's because I'm more a fan of AJ's *ahem* "style".

Other than that, I agree.

Tajiri did well in the WWE. I know he wasn't at main event level or anything, but he was booked as a legitimate threat and he didn't have a stupid character. If he hadn't retired, maybe he could have made it further up the card.

RP912

Banned
I'm giggling like a schoolgirl at the thought of folks actually tuning in to Raw tomorrow after Wrestle Kingdom.

It's like going to Mcdonalds after having a home cooked meal with seconds :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom