• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
how scripted is Total Divas? Because i remember hearing one of the divas (i think it was the Bellas) on Jericho's Podcast talking about how the camera is basically with them 24/7 and most of the stuff is basically real.

I'm sure there is some acting going on for the cameras but some of the stuff seemed real. Like the stuff with Nattie being slapped by Summer Rae and the consequences of that. The whole bitchiness between the divas seems like it's real.

There's a nugget of truth in most stuff. I expect they are nudged into situations. Like Rosa would have been told to offer Summer a lift that time, just something like "Hey Summer is back just like you were not that long ago, you should help her out!" by a producer.

The 4.5 months in between the taping and now is interesting too.

The pot brownie felt planted though. She went straight for the brownie when there was a ton of other stuff there, is it established that Nattie is big into brownies? I don't watch Total Divas religiously but she seems like the regimented healthy type.

Also they slotted Paige into their lives right when creative had no program for her, worked out great coincidentally!

I'm not going to post this and link it instead because it might be a little extreme. It's not blood or gore or sexual or anything like that. But it poses a question and it's the question I have as well.

Why

Dudes back looks like nothing but scar tissue. Why would you feel the need to do that to yourself :(

Hah, Shibata stomping on Naito for being an idiot.

Star Studded Tag match

Okadanowheretobefound

Quiet, you.

Kam3BrN.gif

Cody Hall is supposed to be quite a talented kid, right?

I referee'd a match he was in back in September. He's still green as hell and not ready for anything serious. He's going to Japan strictly for training.

Scott Hall was filming the match at ringside, so that was cool.

I referee'd a match he was in back in September. He's still green as hell and not ready for anything serious. He's going to Japan strictly for training.

Scott Hall was filming the match at ringside, so that was cool.

Should have got his mate Syxx.

wow and not single gif of Syxx in WCW with his camcorder. wow. disappointed.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
AJ so over with Japan. Even with the Bullet Club association.

That's, frankly, pretty incredible. Even Devitt wasn't that over like AJ is.

Mahonay

Banned
Just finished up Wrestle Kingdom 9. My thoughts;

- I was so fucking happy to have JR announcing. He really got into old form by the last two matches and it had me smiling ear to ear. While Striker knew way more about NJPW, he didn't mesh that well with him.

- It was really weird to see Jeff Jarrett wrestling. But hey, we got a guitar smash.

- I had know idea Davey Boy Smith's son wrestled in NJPW.

- Kenny Omega can become a huge star in New Japan. I have always loved him and am super happy to see him on a bigger stage like this. He's a fucking bad ass.

- AJ's top rope Styles Clash was awesome. It was built up to nicely with JR/Striker talking about how he's been breaking necks with it lately.

- I was REALLY impressed with how much Ibushi stepped up his game and looked really vicious. He's already known for his unmatched highflying, but he's added another element to his toolset. Him and Nakamura play off each other insanely well in the ring. Kayfabe wise it looks like Nakamura barely squeaked out a win. Both guys look like winners, and that Intercontinental belt becomes that much greater. Match of the show, obviously. It'll be hard to top that one this year.

- I wasn't that excited for Tanahashi Vs. Okada, but they put on a pitch perfect match. Really good storytelling, a nice steady pace, and having JR going nuts towards the end was wonderful.

- You could audibly hear JR's erection throbbing furiously from how little closed fists were being used.

Gonzalez

Banned
AJ so over with Japan. Even with the Bullet Club association.

That's, frankly, pretty incredible. Even Devitt wasn't that over like AJ is.
Sort of... Unlike AJ, Devitt wasn't given the big singles push in the Heavyweight division. Sure he got a couple of wins here, and there, but they weren't clean. AJ won outright, and the most important thing is he backed it up by having show stealing performances, with the culminating match against Suzuki in Tokyo. Devitt never had anywhere close to performances like AJ did with the top stars. That might be do to booking, but I also believe AJ is that damn good.

Mahonay

Banned
Sort of... Unlike AJ, Devitt wasn't given the big singles push in the Heavyweight division. Sure he got a couple of wins here, and there, but they weren't clean. AJ won outright, and he backed it up by having show stealing performances, with the culminating match against Suzuki in Tokyo. Devitt never had anywhere close to performances like AJ did with the top stars. That might be do to booking, but I also believe AJ is that damn good.
AJ saw his opening and took it. He's been amazing since they very beginning of his NJPW run. It's been impressive. You can tell he knew it was his chance to become a legit top guy in the wrestling world.

I don't care for him as a person, and I hate his stupid hair, but fuck is he ever a great professional wrestler. Happy I've seen him live a few times.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Always cool to see how the male wrestlers show Aja Kong so much respect
kongssmsb7.gif

It's never a patronizing thing. You can tell guys like Suzuki and Kasai are big fans.

Gonzalez

Banned
I was very indifferent to AJ's Chris Gaines look, and personality near the end of his TNA run that I wasn't sure if he just didn't care anymore. Then a few months later he gets the call to replace Devitt, and I was like "Him... That's who you want to replace your most charismatic gajin?". Even after he won the title I wasn't too sure, but goddammit he proved himself in the G1, and made Devitt's run as Bullet Club leader look like a joke, even without dipping into the old gimmick bag like Prince did.

Mahonay

Banned
I was very indifferent to AJ's Chris Gaines look, and personality near the end of his TNA run that I wasn't sure if he just didn't care anymore. Then a few months later he gets the call to replace Devitt, and I was like "Him... That's who you want to replace your most charismatic gajin?". Even after he won the title I wasn't too sure, but goddammit he proved himself in he himself in the G1, and made Devitt's run as Bullet Club leader look like a joke, even without dipping into the old gimmick bag like Prince did.
I think AJ's stupid look makes him a better heel overall so I'm okay with it. Also he's great at interacting with the crowd in general.

There's people who think it could be good if Seth Rollins starting dressing like he does in real life to put himself over as a shitty heel even more. Dude's real life attire is hilarious.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
At the matches conclusion, Ozaki used one of her regular moves, the Ligerbomb, to pin Mariko.[3] The move was executed just as usual, but appeared to have triggered a pre-existing problem. Since other wrestlers on the card had sold their finishes that night, the fans in the arena didn’t immediately realize there was a problem. It seems that this spot may not have been the planned finish of the match. In any case, Mariko was knocked out from the Ligerbomb and didn’t kick out. After the match, Ozaki and the other wrestlers saw Mariko, who still hadn't budged, snoring, which was a sign that her brain was bleeding. Mariko died a few hours later on August 16, 1997.

Never heard about this until now. She was apparently the first Japanese professional wrestler to die because of wrestling related injuries.

The match isn't online, but you can watch the TV tapings from the day after her death.

GAF i was wacthing wreslte kingdom, so are the young bucks HBK wannabe?

Fourth wall breaking HBK wannabes. Talented as fuck, but I'm not sure if I like how they're using those talents. I'd need to see more to make up my mind, but I think I'm okay with them.

Gonzalez

Banned
Bucks still got time. I can see having a serious phase eventually when they feel that their act is getting old. Then of course people will be clamoring for them to go back to the Superkick gimmick again when they realize that's who they were born to play. kinda like what has happened to Cesaro when he dumped his "Most Money Making Man" gimmick to become serious strong guy. Now everyone is like "Why no personality Cesaro".

Browny

Banned
WK9 thoughts:

Best 999 yen ever spent.

But utterly baffled why Okada didn't get his moment
let it play out etc etc

Gonzalez

Banned
WK9 thoughts:

Best 999 yen ever spent.

But utterly baffled why Okada didn't get his moment
let it play out etc etc
It's Japan, man. They love the drawn out storylines that take years to finish.

I mean he's been a fucking boy detective for 2 fucking decades. You're telling me 2 decades isn't good enough to solve his age issue already.

Carnby

my coworker told me that Signs is the scariest movie he has ever seen. I pretended that I've never seen it. How could I possibly respond? Fucking Signs?!?!

Hasney

my coworker told me that Signs is the scariest movie he has ever seen. I pretended that I've never seen it. How could I possibly respond? Fucking Signs?!?!

I don't know, you could respond like you do when you disagree on the internet. Maybe write down a quote from what he said, then "lol" followed by a link to a gif on a sticky note and then slap it on their forehead.

If it's good enough to deal with people on the internet, it must be good for the workplace.

Carnby

I don't know, you could respond like you do when you disagree on the internet. Maybe write down a quote from what he said, then "lol" followed by a link to a gif on a sticky note and then slap it on their forehead.

If it's good enough to deal with people on the internet, it must be good for the workplace.

There isn't a gif that can encompass the "WTF" I was thinking. Fucking Signs?! Does he sleep with a baseball bat next to his bed?

- You could audibly hear JR's erection throbbing furiously from how little closed fists were being used.

At times I really felt like JR was taking jabs at the current WWE product.

He mentions the importance of the IC title belt in New Japan then talks about why anyone would want to compete for a title that people don't care about.

I think he even talked about guys escaping the western product.

I probably wouldn't have watched this show if it wasn't for JR and an English commentary in general. I feel like getting English commentary going forward should be a thing. They don't need to get JR but I definitely want to watch more New Japan but I also want to understand more about what I'm seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom