• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Big Month Meltz

Mahonay

Banned
Here is one thing that I will say about the WWE and their mentality as of late.

Ever since Lesnar beat Undertaker at WM and it gained national attention (ESPN and other major outlets covering it and talking about it), I feel like the WWE goes for shock value more often now than ever.

Everyone's hopes and dreams were crushed last night when Roman was the #30 entrant after teasing so many different people. Everyone is talking about the Roman thing. Its got word of mouth going. Even if all the word of mouth is all negative, it has people talking. That is what the WWE wants now.
They book entirely around shock value and it's awful.

Sephzilla

Ever since Lesnar beat Undertaker at WM and it gained national attention (ESPN and other major outlets covering it and talking about it), I feel like the WWE goes for shock value more often now than ever.

Everyone's hopes and dreams were crushed last night when Roman was the #30 entrant after teasing so many different people. Everyone is talking about the Roman thing. Its got word of mouth going. Even if all the word of mouth is all negative, it has people talking. That is what the WWE wants now.

They book entirely around shock value and it's awful.

WWE at this point seems desperate for attention. Even five years ago, there's no way they would have given away Undertaker, Lesnar, and Goldberg as Royal Rumble entrants before the event itself - they would have saved that for massive crowd popping surprises. Now they have to give all of that shit away ahead of time to sell tickets. I think we're inching towards a point where the WWE name brand value won't be enough to sell tickets anymore. WrestleMania will always sell out simply because its WrestleMania, but ratings and show attendance seem to be dropping.

It's been echoed in the past but it's too bad there's nobody with money interested in starting a legit competitor to WWE. It would be beneficial for the business as a whole.

Barrage

I feel that's part of it, certainly. This booking is especilly true at the last few Big 4 (Summerslam-Orton stoppage, Surivor Series-Goldberg Squash, Royal Rumble-Orton winning out of nowhere)

These are endings that will at the least get the attention of a lapsed fan, maybe get them to tune into RAW to see what's going on.

Zayn or Samoa Joe winning last night would not have gotten that interest.

The question is if the interest of those lapsed fans will outweigh fans that might be upset with the booking and not tune in anymore.

We'll see, but I think if you stuck with WWE through the putridness of 2015, quitting after Orton last night is a weird point. Especially if Wyatt is getting elevated.

BTW: While I enjoyed the Rumble tremendously last night, I agree that Bray winning would have felt more natural. It just didn't change my feelings on the event.

Browny

Banned
WWE at this point seems desperate for attention. Even five years ago, there's no way they would have given away Undertaker, Lesnar, and Goldberg as Royal Rumble entrants before the event itself - they would have saved that for massive crowd popping surprises. Now they have to give all of that shit away ahead of time to sell tickets
And yet the Rumble tickets sell themselves (as does WM, generally speaking), so they could have saved them. But they need the ratings for Raw too...

Zach

WCllJh1.gif

Voted the Greatest Moment in the History of WrassleGAF.

Mahonay

Banned
There was no shock value in Reigns being 30.

I even predicted it because it's such a Vince thing to do.
I mean more with Goldberg jobbing Lesnar again and Roman knocking out Taker.

I too predicted Reigns would come out at 30 once Taker came out. But a lot of people didn't expect they would actually go with Reigns at #30. It was shocking in it's own way.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean I'm okay with the Orton/Bray plan because adding the title makes that feud better.

Orton is very over no matter what smarks want to argue.

Tall4Life

Watched the Rumble again today. I still love it, lol. There were even more little story moments in the match than I remembered. And Roman coming out still made me cackle like a hyena. He looked like a legit killer there. Thank you based big dog.

@MegaTJP
There's soooooo much fanfic and pic edits of me with women superstars....and I read/enjoy/save ALL OF IT.

Yall just keep stanning for TJP despite all the evidence though, it's fine, not like it's piling up or anything

Mahonay

Banned
@MegaTJP
There's soooooo much fanfic and pic edits of me with women superstars....and I read/enjoy/save ALL OF IT.

Yall just keep stanning for TJP despite all the evidence though, it's fine, not like it's piling up or anything
B4oxS.gif

Does anyone here actually like TJP in the first place?

What's weird to me about a Bray and Orton feud is that after last night, you would expect the rub to go to Luke. Maybe if Orton eliminated Bray last, but nope, Luke was the one booked to turn against the Wyatts.

Sephzilla

I shared this idea in the Rumble OT thread but I wanted to mention it here too.

If they plan on doing a Shield reunion at some point, Mania would be a great time to do it. Have Rollins goad HHH into having a match at WrestleMania, and then have Rollins talk HHH into making it a no disqualification match since that's when HHH can really be "the destroyer". Then at some point during the match, Roman and Ambrose show up - have HHH realize that the entire no DQ thing was a big set up by Rollins - and then all three of them beat the living tar out of Hunter since they all are anti-authority guys. You get your Shield reunion, Roman actually gets solid pops, and Rollins looks like a brainy architect.

creatchee

That's the dreamers' own damned faults. See, WWE didn't tease ANYBODY. Samoa Joe not having an NXT Takeover match is not a tease. Nakamura losing the title is not a tease. Kenny Omega taking a month off is not a tease. Kurt Angle getting announced for the HOF is not a tease. These were all goings on that happened to coincide with the Rumble time of year. Dreamers took those coincidences to be missing pieces of a puzzle that they themselves had constructed in their mind.

WWE may be all about getting national coverage these days, but they did nothing to create the expectations that were shattered when they didn't actually happen.

Barrage

I think my favourite small moments in that Rumble were:

1) Luke turning on Bray
2) Jack Gallagher's whole schtick
3) Jericho napping
4) The New Day saving themselves

Mahonay

Banned
What's weird to me about a Bray and Orton feud is that after last night, you would expect the rub to go to Luke. Maybe if Orton eliminated Bray last, but nope, Luke was the one booked to turn against the Wyatts.
My boy Haper is going to get thrown aside like garbage :(

At least he got a big pop for the Sister Abigail attempt.

If they plan on doing a Shield reunion at some point, Mania would be a great time to do it. Have Rollins goad HHH into having a match at WrestleMania, and then have Rollins talk HHH into making it a no disqualification match since that's when HHH can really be "the destroyer". Then at some point during the match, Roman and Ambrose show up - have HHH realize that the entire no DQ thing was a big set up by Rollins - and then all three of them beat the living tar out of Hunter since they all are anti-authority guys. You get your Shield reunion, Roman actually gets solid pops, and Rollins looks like a brainy architect.
A life action version of this gif please.

SL0iEWU.gif

Mahonay

Banned
I think my favourite small moments in that Rumble were:

1) Luke turning on Bray
2) Jack Gallagher's whole schtick
3) Jericho napping
4) The New Day saving themselves
Jericho getting repeatedly clobbered with a finisher and rolling out again was great.

Orton vs Bray might be the most boring fued ever.

Orton: Bray..... I'm...... Going.... To ... Kick ,... Your...Ass

Bray: Randeh the moon and the stars are in the sky and sister Abigail tells me to drink the blood of my enemies

@MegaTJP

I don't see a lot of TJP stans around here to be quite honest.

And yet the Rumble tickets sell themselves (as does WM, generally speaking), so they could have saved them. But they need the ratings for Raw too...

The Dome was not a sold out crowd and I highly think that if WWE would've kept Goldberg, Lesnar and Taker as surprises the attendance would've dropped significantly. Then again, that's a product of the companies own faults and that the Dome is fucking massive regardless.

@MegaTJP

Who are these people stanning for TJP in here?

Barrage

Imagine the dissapointment you would have felt if you weren't expecting the Undertaker and he came out in the shape he was in last night

He moves like Clint Eastwood

Pikma

Banned
Orton vs Bray might be the most boring fued ever.

Orton: Bray..... I'm...... Going.... To ... Kick ,... Your...Ass

Bray: Randeh the moon and the stars are in the sky and sister Abigail tells me to drink the blood of my enemies
It's... actually been very fun and very very well booked/written

This Dominant Wrestling TV show is a lot better than World of Sport, but 90 minutes for a tournament format with mostly guys who are older ona big payday and not hungry isn't a great mix. Still, Carlito/Rey was a lot of fun. Morrison/Galloway could bring it.

I preferred the World of Sport show more personally, mainly because I actually give a fuck about guys like Kenny Williams, the Coffeys and Grado whereas I couldn't really give a shit about Carlito or Chris Masters. The bastard of a car journey to Dundee didn't help.

The dark matches were fun though, with Gibson vs Lethal being decent, glad I got to see him live. Tbh, at points I was more entertained by the kids wrestling on the floor than the in-ring stuff.

This 128 man tournament is gonna bomb though surely?

Mahonay

Banned
Imagine the dissapointment you would have felt if you weren't expecting the Undertaker and he came out in the shape he was in last night

He moves like Clint Eastwood
He's an MMA shooter!

He desperately needs to embrace the old man side of him. He looked ridiculous.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Hell, if they hadn't nerfed Lesnar, you could have them come down and do it to Lesnar (or Goldberg if you wanted them to turn heel).

Or heck, have Stroman / Owens come out to protect HHH (since he anointed them), have Rollins look freaked out, then smile as Reigns and Ambrose come running down the stairs.

Personally, I think had Balor not gotten hurt, having the domination of the Club across multiple shows (Styles in SD, Balor, Anderson, and Gallows on RAW) could have led to a fantastic re-unification of the Shield and match at Survivor Series - but I don't think they can make Balor a hated heel.

Hasney

I preferred the World of Sport show more personally, mainly because I actually give a fuck about guys like Kenny Williams, the Coffeys and Grado whereas I couldn't really give a shit about Carlito or Chris Masters. The bastard of a car journey to Dundee didn't help.

The dark matches were fun though, with Gibson vs Lethal being decent, glad I got to see him live. Tbh, at points I was more entertained by the kids wrestling on the floor than the in-ring stuff.

This 128 man tournament is gonna bomb though surely?

Yeah, I can see that if you give a shit about the WoS guys. But I really dislike Grado and still have a soft spot for Masters and Carlito. Morrison and Rey really phoned that final in too, no where near as good as they are in Lucha Underground.

Have they got an on-going TV deal for the 128 man tournament? If they have and since they're going through 30 cities, it could be OK.

Who the fuck are they going to get though?

I don't see a lot of TJP stans around here to be quite honest.

There were people who did their damndest to say he was a good guy and totally not shit when the MRA stuff went viral, and multiple times when it got called out here

If they're actually gone for good this time, good. Fuck TJP

Everytime I hear someone say Taker should retire, I get this weird fantasy in my head where Vince is explaining the newest booking decision to a random talent, who then raises an issue with the way it plays out.

Vince then presses a button under his desk, opening a secret door that houses a now geriatric Taker, who slowly starts walking out walker in hand.

Slowly, with trembling octogenarian hands, he starts taping up his fists in front of the offending talent.

@MegaTJP

What the fuck

Fuck this guy

"when I was homeless for a little while I had to write my own fanfic of myself with chicks so this means a lot"

Was TJP a failure? Everything about his entrance screams they intended for him to be the top guy yet he dropped the belt after a month or two and he doesn't even have a 205 Live feud if I'm right.

I guess they were written into a wall when Ibushi and ZSJ made it clear they didn't want to sign.

Yeah, I can see that if you give a shit about the WoS guys. But I really dislike Grado and still have a soft spot for Masters and Carlito.

Have they got an on-going TV deal for the 128 man tournament? If they have and since they're going through 30 cities, it could be OK.

Who the fuck are they going to get though?

The announcement at the end suggested Spike are indeed televising the tournament. I mean, at a push I could think of 64 guys at least, but it's gonna be an absolute bastard to sort out.

Top Bottom