• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

tG999Ww.jpg

*vomits*

So, this is what a top guy looks like now, huh? Nearly a decade since Cena started this shit and no signs of it abating, so we'd best change the definition of what a babyface actually is, because it isn't 'good guy who's beloved by the majority of the audience' any longer, it's 'good guy who's vilified by at least half of the paying audience, but he respects the fan's right to express themselves!'. Wouldn't it be nice if they had someone on the roster who can deliver in the ring, who connects with the audience and who gets huge reactions in spite of his flaws? If only, if only....

Alucard

Banned
tG999Ww.jpg

*vomits*

So, this is what a top guy looks like now, huh? Nearly a decade since Cena started this shit and no signs of it abating, so we'd best change the definition of what a babyface actually is, because it isn't 'good guy who's beloved by the majority of the audience' any longer, it's 'good guy who's vilified by at least half of the paying audience, but he respects the fan's right to express themselves!'. Wouldn't it be nice if they had someone on the roster who can deliver in the ring, who connects with the audience and who gets huge reactions in spite of his flaws? If only, if only....

As long as fans pay, why would they stop? Vince is probably just happy they're reacting.

Alucard

Banned
Listening to Review-an-Impact. Last Friday's episode sounds like it was a total slog. No clue how many segments they've gone through, but I keep expecting them to say "And then it was time for the main event," but nope...another fast segment, another fast segment, another fast segment. Glad I'm not watching this stuff anymore.

DiscoJon

Banned

attachment.php

Ithil

tG999Ww.jpg

*vomits*

COVcQgJ.png

I'll be watching TNA this Friday to see British Bootcamp 2 winner Mark Andrews make his TV debut, first time I'll have watched Impact in over a year so I'm looking forward to seeing how bad it's got. Won't be watching the week after, though, as Mandrews & Spud
get squashed by Brodus, or whatever the fuck he's calling himself these days

Woo, woo, woo! You know it.

Aiii

So not worth it
I find myself completely indifferent to WWE right now.

It really is like "mweh, whatever" now.

At least when I was getting upset about stuff I had some connection to what they were doing, now it's more like, whatever, I'll go put on a match on NJPW World and enjoy myself. That kind of apathy is dangerous place to drive your viewers to, because soon they won't be following the news about WWE anymore and even if you get good, they won't be returning.

So I guess Cena, Reigns and Vince are somewhat right, as long as the crowd is violently reacting to you, at least they still give a shit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
tG999Ww.jpg

*vomits*

You act like he's supposed to say a different thing. That is not only the diplomatic thing to say, its also right.

You act like he's supposed to say a different thing. That is not only the diplomatic thing to say, its also right.

It's also sickening. The sort of phony, pandering shit that has only served to make Cena's 'character' even more unbearable over the years. Ask yourself this; would Austin have said that? Would The Rock? But I guess the situation never really arose for those guys for one simple reason; they were actually over.

Ithil

It's the most lame, flaccid way to respond to bad crowd reactions, and all it does is encourage them. Imagine if Rocky Maivia had just stayed as a corny babyface and said "You can chant die Rocky die that's your right as human beings, I just want to entertain all you great fans". People do not react like that, emotionless corporate robots do.

Given they were trying to push Reigns as a badass later in that very show, it's a bad way to handle it. And they will never get him to the top spot if they're pushing him as "Cena 2". The next top guy has to be different from the last one.

Alucard

Banned
Apathy is truly the worst reaction a wrestler can get. Cena and Reigns aren't necessarily wrong, but it is still insulting that the top face of a company has that kind of divide.

Eidan

;) ;) ;)

See, what I just did there was respond to your post like Reigns and Cena would, and it's terrible.

I really don't see what kind of response you expect the guy to have while trying to keep the story going. Unless you think the best response is to just turn heel.

Ithil

I really don't see what kind of response you expect the guy to have while trying to keep the story going. Unless you think the best response is to just turn heel.

How about an actual human response? You don't have to turn heel to respond to an arena full of fans crapping on your big moment.

Kacho

Gold Member
Just coffee, I don't do breakfast.

Yep same for me. Im hardly ever hungry in the morning and drink several cups of coffee.

I fell asleep during the Bryan interview last night. Anything noteworthy said by him about the Royal Rumble?

Kiyo

How about an actual human response? You don't have to turn heel to respond to an arena full of fans crapping on your big moment.

I don't understand how that's not an "actual human response". From what everyone says of Roman, outside the ring he's a pretty nice/cool/easy going guy. Would you rather him be an asshole about it?

Oh, and jumping on the bandwagon:
Cl4hgjKl.png

Don't know how I've got so long until the shutoff date, but oh well. Means another month of NXT and the special
before I go back to stealing it.

10 quid a month I can spend on coffee or PROGRESS/Rev Pro/PWG/ICW/NJPW/anything else.

I still need to figure out how the hell to get round NJPW World, or I might have to cancel that through disuse. I think I might sign up to ICW's on demand for a month to see the events I'm curious about.

Brave new world friends.

Alucard

Banned
Yep same for me. Im hardly ever hungry in the morning and drink several cups of coffee.

I fell asleep during the Bryan interview last night. Anything noteworthy said by him about the Royal Rumble?

"The fans weren't happy that Roman Reigns won. I wasn't happy that Roman Reigns won. Not because it was Roman Reigns, but because it wasn't me."

I'd recommend going back and watching it. It was a good interview segment, and Bryan sounded very natural.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
When does ROH usually put new episodes up on their site? I missed it this past weekend and really want to see Alberto vs Christopher Daniels.

Ithil

I don't understand how that's not an "actual human response". From what everyone says of Roman, outside the ring he's a pretty nice/cool/easy going guy. Would you rather him be an asshole about it?

Yes. At least it would be something remotely interesting.
It doesn't really matter what Joe Anoai is like, he's supposed to be Roman Reigns, the badass. Yet his response is this non-answer PR stuff?
It's also the way it basically says "you can like it or hate, it doesn't matter, it's not changing, your response means nothing".

Kacho

Gold Member
"The fans weren't happy that Roman Reigns won. I wasn't happy that Roman Reigns won. Not because it was Roman Reigns, but because it wasn't me."

I'd recommend going back and watching it. It was a good interview segment, and Bryan sounded very natural.

Cool. Will do.

kiguel182

I think the problem with "they can do whatever they want as long as I get to perform" is that WWE ISN'T A REAL SPORT.

You have characters that are good guys or villains and you are supposed to root for some of them and be happy when they win.

If your top guy is supposed to be a good guy but half the people hate him then it just doesn't work.

The whole basis for storylines stops working when you don't want the hero to win.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's a shame they won't announce the post Rumble subscriber number in February, if I understand Meltzer correctly it will be the December 31st subscriber number instead.

Ithil

I think the problem with "they can do whatever they want as long as I get to perform" is that WWE ISN'T A REAL SPORT.

You have characters that are good guys or villains and you are supposed to root for some of them and be happy when they win.

If your top guy is supposed to be a good guy but half the people hate him then it just doesn't work.

The whole basis for storylines stops working when you don't want the hero to win.

The problem is the obvious and logical response to your top guy being booed is to, you know, change the top guy so that he is no longer booed. Instead they just keep him the same and brush off the boos with those non-answers in promos.

RP912

Banned
The fact this guy is suppose to be a "bad ass" and all cool with the fans shitting on him just doesn't feel right. Imagine if Stone Cold got booed winning the 98 rumble and the fans shitted on him. In a interview he says some shit like "the fans pay good money to boo whoever and I'm happy to be apart of the WWE". WTF??

You are suppose to be a beer drinking, ass kicking, and a somuvabitch. You have Reigns as this legit badass giving dudes daps and suppose to be oozing coolness but cutting passive promos like Cena it's unbelievable. At least he could have said "well haters going to hate" and keep it as that.

Effective and to the point.

Hasney

Act like a human being. Don't "respect" the crowd every time, don't give a damn because he does what he wants when he wants and right now, he wants to go to Wrestlemania and kick Brocks ass.

Hogan was an asshole
Austin was an asshole
Rock was an asshole

None of them cared about anything other than themselves and the title as a face, other than Hogan who pretended to care about other people for his own gains (which is an accidental subtlety that wouldn't be picked up by kids). Not everyone needs to be like that, but it's better than cloning Cena and hell, Cena initially got over on Smackdown by just continuing to be heel and only wrecked it when he went to Raw and dropped that shit to pander.

Ithil

That's the big problem right there. Your next gen ace should not act the same as your current ace. Reigns cannot be Cena 2.0 if you want to succeed.

Pretty much. Luger failed because he was just Hogan again (and they failed to pull the trigger on him at that one Summerslam), Bret succeeded because he was different from Hogan, as was Shawn, as was Austin, then Rock, then yes, Cena.

Never mind that they're doing the "modern Cena" character response, which is not the one he got popular and rose to the main event on. The only reason the modern Cena response works for Cena is because he's already the top guy and well engrained.

RP912

Banned
Pretty much. Luger failed because he was just Hogan again (and they failed to pull the trigger on him at that one Summerslam), Bret succeeded because he was different from Hogan, as was Shawn, as was Austin, then Rock, then yes, Cena.

But he had the Lex Express. All was forgiven.

Top Bottom