• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

Sephzilla

I'm kind of dumbfounded why they had Daniel Bryan come back for the Rumble and not save him for Fastlane. He could say in an interview or something he's cleared for February and the Authority can book him at Fastlane vs a mystery opponent or some shit. Just make it 100% clear he won't be at or in the Rumble. The Rumble match sells itself.

The fact that they brought him back, built up his return and entry into the rumble, and then had him not even last until the final 4, is absolutely mind blowing.

Browny

Banned
The fact that they brought him back, built up his return and entry into the rumble, and then had him not even last until the final 4, is absolutely mind blowing.
The only thing they could be trying for, is the Okada route (not that anyone really knows how that's going to pan out). We'll find out when Kane berries Bryan in the casket on Thursday Raw Thursday!

Kaladin

That final segment did a lot for Roman Reigns in my eyes. WWE benefited from having this in the studio and not in the ring. Roman got to showcase what he can do without the crowd being a distraction, and that is a good thing.

They have to book Roman as a threat though, make him believable. I don't see Roman winning this, but make him long strong dammit!

That final segment did a lot for Roman Reigns in my eyes. WWE benefited from having this in the studio and not in the ring. Roman got to showcase what he can do without the crowd being a distraction, and that is a good thing.

They have to book Roman as a threat though, make him believable. I don't see Roman winning this, but make him long strong dammit!
Ummmmm, he's winning.

They just discussed the Royal Rumble and the crowd on Kentucky Sports Radio just now. The host and one of the co-host are wrestling fans, but even still, this story is just blowing up.

It'll be interesting to see if Vince continues to be stubborn, or if someone will step in and tell him "LISTEN TO YOUR AUDIENCE".

Chopper

The segment was great, but Reigns was awful.

"I will beat you for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania. You should believe that. You will respect me."

Really?

They have a lot of work to do if people are going to do anything but boo Reigns throughout the match.
Fixed

jmdajr

What should Reigns do at FastLane to looks strong? Handicap match against Show and Kane?

edit: Reigns winning clean against Brock would be total bullshit. There is just no way. But Vince is fucking nuts these days so I guess I can't put it past him.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
*vomits*

So, this is what a top guy looks like now, huh? Nearly a decade since Cena started this shit and no signs of it abating, so we'd best change the definition of what a babyface actually is, because it isn't 'good guy who's beloved by the majority of the audience' any longer, it's 'good guy who's vilified by at least half of the paying audience, but he respects the fan's right to express themselves!'. Wouldn't it be nice if they had someone on the roster who can deliver in the ring, who connects with the audience and who gets huge reactions in spite of his flaws? If only, if only....

What's interesting is the top babyface (thhe REAL one that the fans pick - because they legitimately do pick them in the end) have always, always been a HUGE departure from the previous top babyface.

I've not done the research from pre-hogan really, but with Hogan they tried Lex. Failed, Stone Cold. Stone Cold to Cena was a huge change. Roman is too like Cena to be the one. It won't stick.

sajj316

wwe.com Roman marketing mode --> enabled

background immortals game featuring Reigns on the right
top 3 articles on wwe.com about Reigns (one way or another)

it has begun ..

shangtsung.gif

Kaladin

What should Reigns do at FastLane to looks strong? Handicap match against Show and Kane?

I would put him against Cena or even Rollins. Have him go through the guys Brock just beat convincingly on the road to Wrestlemania.

Though, I'm sure they're going to continue the Show / Kane feud....because we all know two enhancement giants prepare a guy for TMF.

jmdajr

The segment was great, but Reigns was awful.

"I will beat you for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania. You should believe that. You will respect me."

Really?

Fixed

It was fine. You can't let the sins against Daniel Bryan blind you when he actually does something good. Still a looooong way to go to prove himself.

jmdajr

I would put him against Cena or even Rollins. Have him go through the guys Brock just beat convincingly on the road to Wrestlemania.

Though, I'm sure they're going to continue the Show / Kane feud....because we all know two enhancement giants prepare a guy for TMF.

Rollins would be great. Maybe he will butt in saying he should headline Wrestlemania and all that fluff.

Too bad Cena is busy.

It was fine. You can't let the sins against Daniel Bryan blind you when he actually does something good. Still as a looooong way to go to prove himself.

Reigns looked like he was trying to will his nuts out of his stomach and back into the scrotum. He uttered cookie cutter babyface faux-tough guy dialogue without stumbling but still didn't sound convincing. There's nothing remarkable or worthy of praise in that.

jmdajr

If Bryan is not gonna get back in the WWE title picture I think he should become the new Intercontinental Champion and go on a string of AAA matches. The title would actually have meaning again.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No one is going to look like they can believably beat Brock Lesnar. Not anyone in the current WWE. Brock is the only person in that company right now that is 100% believable in everything he does. Because even Heyman said, 'The best gimmicks in the WWE are usually extensions of themselves amped up to 11. Brock is basically himself. Period.' Even Daniel Bryan would need some insane promo packages and build-up for me to buy into that. He would have needed to go from beating Bray to pinning Triple H to retiring Kane to beating Rollins for me to even possibly buy that he might could be an underdog against Brock.

Brock feels to me like an attraction from the 80s. It's partially his on and off schedule. But like I've said in the past, his current booking reminds me of Andre booking(with some more hiccups). He may not be on TV every week, but you know he's out there, and he can win whenever he wants to. You'll watch every week because you know there's a chance he might be there. I can't watch the modern WWE product, but I switched to Raw when someone told me there was a Brock interview. Without even thinking about it. Brock's a star, and I don't know what everyone else is.

I don't want to see him every week like some people do. I don't want to see him in nothing tag team matches, I don't want to see Heyman cutting 'weekly heel promo' for him. It feels important when he shows up, it really does feel like he has the WWE title hostage, and I think that's incredible writing. Which is funny because it's incredible due to Brock Lesnar and his contract, not due to any creative purpose.

Chopper

WHO THE FUCK DECIDED THAT BRYAN VS. LESNAR WASN'T THE MATCH EVERYONE WANTED TO SEE?!?!?!

WHO THE FUCK THOUGHT REIGNS VS. LESNAR IS EVEN SLIGHTLY MORE WORTHWHILE?!?!?!?!

I know I look like an inane ranting fanboy, but that is literally what is going on in my head. It is pure fucking insanity. Seriously.

And yes. I know the answer. I just cannot believe it in light of the Network and last year's fuck up.

What's interesting is the top babyface (thhe REAL one that the fans pick - because they legitimately do pick them in the end) have always, always been a HUGE departure from the previous top babyface.

I've not done the research from pre-hogan really, but with Hogan they tried Lex. Failed, Stone Cold. Stone Cold to Cena was a huge change. Roman is too like Cena to be the one. It won't stick.

Pre-Hogan the three most dominant faces were Bruno, Pedro Morales & Backlund, but Morales always struggled to get out of Bruno's shadow - they were both similar in wrestling styles (although Pedro was a lot more athletic), both clean cut, no-nonsense babyfaces and both had a big ethnic fanbase behind them, but Morales never reached the heights they wanted him to, even with Bruno eventually putting him over (he'd used Koloff as an interim champion to drop the title to). Backlund was different both in the ring and in his look, plus he was much more of prototypical smiley good guy than either Bruno or Pedro were, so he was definitely a departure from the previous archetype.

OMG, Boots... it's like a dream come true!

http://youtu.be/54xb9V80LGA

Bvc1BU8.gif

Heroman

Banned
WHO THE FUCK DECIDED THAT BRYAN VS. LESNAR WASN'T THE MATCH EVERYONE WANTED TO SEE?!?!?!

WHO THE FUCK THOUGHT REIGNS VS. LESNAR IS EVEN SLIGHTLY MORE WORTHWHILE?!?!?!?!

I know I look like an inane ranting fanboy, but that is literally what is going on in my head. It is pure fucking insanity. Seriously.

And yes. I know the answer. I just cannot believe it in light of the Network and last year's fuck up.
vkm.png

v0yce

It was fine. You can't let the sins against Daniel Bryan blind you when he actually does something good. Still a looooong way to go to prove himself.

Good? Are we already lowering the bar?

He seemed really unbelievable and uncomfortable there. He had no intensity and paused like he was being fed lines. He was totally the awe shucks, vanilla hero and nothing like the tough guy shield member that was somewhat interesting.

It's obviously not easy to seem legitimate next to Brock while Heyman does his thing and I'm rooting for the guy to succeed, but last night's show only reinforced how not ready for this he is.

I loved the show. Rollins was good. D Bryan, mixing truth and spinning for the company, was well done and felt believable, and Heyman and Brock intimidated me through my TV sitting in my living room. It was a really refreshing show.... except for Reigns. He just seemed minor league compared to the other guys.

Kacho

Gold Member

edit: Reigns winning clean against Brock would be total bullshit. There is just no way. But Vince is fucking nuts these days so I guess I can't put it past him.

It looks like that's what they are building towards. Hopefully Brock beats Reigns in a tough battle and then Rollins cashes in and wins. That's the only good outcome in my eyes. I think Cole said something about how Rollins can't seem to beat Lesnar on Sunday. Maybe that's a hint. Oh, and they also said that Brock may only give up the title when he chooses to.

kiguel182

No one is going to look like they can believably beat Brock Lesnar. Not anyone in the current WWE. Brock is the only person in that company right now that is 100% believable in everything he does. Because even Heyman said, 'The best gimmicks in the WWE are usually extensions of themselves amped up to 11. Brock is basically himself. Period.' Even Daniel Bryan would need some insane promo packages and build-up for me to buy into that. He would have needed to go from beating Bray to pinning Triple H to retiring Kane to beating Rollins for me to even possibly buy that he might could be an underdog against Brock.

Brock feels to me like an attraction from the 80s. It's partially his on and off schedule. But like I've said in the past, his current booking reminds me of Andre booking(with some more hiccups). He may not be on TV every week, but you know he's out there, and he can win whenever he wants to. You'll watch every week because you know there's a chance he might be there. I can't watch the modern WWE product, but I switched to Raw when someone told me there was a Brock interview. Without even thinking about it. Brock's a star, and I don't know what everyone else is.

I don't want to see him every week like some people do. I don't want to see him in nothing tag team matches, I don't want to see Heyman cutting 'weekly heel promo' for him. It feels important when he shows up, it really does feel like he has the WWE title hostage, and I think that's incredible writing. Which is funny because it's incredible due to Brock Lesnar and his contract, not due to any creative purpose.

Bryan, kayfabe wise, beat Cena clean, Triple H clean and both Orton and Batista in the same night. He is actually the most credible guy they have apart from Cena.

Sephzilla

There's no way he's not winning. Vince will shove him down our throats.

Chopper

I did find it interesting that The Authority came out after Reigns won, despite no real reason other than the fact that it was clearly not "best for business".

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I love WCCW getting over Brian Adias's 'oriental tool'. Kerry talking about constantly in the match how it's allowed, but it shouldn't be. And he uses it in this match and Kerry goes 'He could be dead! His fingers are curling up, folks. He could be dead! Someone get help!' So WCCW allows a move that has that high of a chance to murder someone.

Also you know how you kind of wince whenever you watch video of Benoit doing the headbutt? I do that now whenever Kerry talks about his leg.

DMczaf

Meltzer pointing out the obvious last night, Reigns has no heels to make him look good after WM. He even had a shitty match with Rollins somehow. This really is going to be Warrior/Diesel all over again.

Maybe they can make up reasons each month to put him in tag team matches, like Diesel?

Rusev really REALLY needs to go over Cena. Have it be a DQ or something at Fast Lane then build it up to a big match at Mania. If Rusev's winning streak is squandered just to give Cena the rub yet again, words wouldn't even express how stupid that would be.

Then again I wouldn't put it past these people at this point.

jmdajr

Rusev really REALLY needs to go over Cena. Have it be a DQ or something at Fast Lane then build it up to a big match at Mania. If Rusev's winning streak is squandered just to give Cena the rub yet again, words wouldn't even express how stupid that would be.

Then again I wouldn't put it past these people at this point.

Rusev will win man. I think Vince likes him. Wrestlemania though.....

Sephzilla

I still cant for the life of me understand how Vince didn't see the obvious benefits to running a Bryan vs Brock storyline for WM31. The underdog + returning from injury + trying to reclaim the title he never lost storyline + WrestleMania being on the west coast where Bryan is probably a bit more over = all of the money.

Top Bottom