• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan’s PC Gaming Market Size Triples In 4 Years (CESA Data)

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Japan’s PC gaming industry continues to grow.

Just before Tokyo Game Show 2024 started last week, Japan’s Computer Entertainment Supplier’s Association (CESA) shared data showing how rapidly the sector in this country has been expanding.
According to CESA, Japan’s PC gaming market almost tripled in size from 2019 to 2023, reaching US$1.6B last year.

(The number may sound low in dollar terms, but note the Japanese yen has been extremely weak over the last years and still is.)

Here is a chart based on CESA’s data (software only):
Japan-PC-Game-Market-Size-1024x842.png

CESA also says that the PC accounted for 13% of the size of Japan’s gaming market overall in 2023 (US$12.7B) vs just 5% in 2019 (when the overall market was at US$10.4B).

What’s interesting further is that the specific market share for consoles has been staying solid at around 20% since 2019, mainly due to the incredible success of the Nintendo Switch in Japan.

Holammer

I wonder how much is the is due to pc handhelds. Japan loves portables.
A niche PC audience and a history of micros and computers was already there (this is where Touhou started), but I think the insane success of PUBG's changed the perception of the PC among general users in Japan. It got the ball rolling and Japanese developers increasingly find success on PC.
There was a time when the thought of fighting games on PC was completely alien, now it's considered 100% natural and a source of a good chunk of the sales.

Excerpt of Japan's steam stats.
Most amount of time spent in top 100 best sellers list:

GTA V (9.8 years)
Dead by Daylight (8.4 years)
Apex Legends (3.9 years)
Monster Hunter Rise (2.8 years)
Yu-Gi-Oh duel (2.7 years)
Rust (2.6 years)
Dead or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation (1.5 years)

Honestly, Dbd and Yugioh are the only odd games there

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
We all know they aren't running Linux as their OS.

They're running Windows 11 which comes with Xbox app and Game Pass for PC app... that's like three Microsoft Family platforms in one!!!! :messenger_open_mouth:
PC is the platform. They can run only Linux and the OS only doesn't make it a MS platform. Just as a Nvidia card doesn'tt make it a Nvidia platform.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Games with a multiplayer component. Same as Quake 3, UT...
Quake 3 and UT doesn’t have continuous online support in exchange for monetary value. The same way Tekken 3 isn’t gaas while Tekken 8 is via selling you individual characters, stages or season passes.

Basically a gaas game doesn’t end until it cannot monetarily support itself. Non-gaas games do have an end.

hinch7

Makes sense. A lot of games are getting PC ports out faster these days, if not day one. And PlayStation getting more and more expensive + moving away from their types of games. Another reason why Nintendo Switch is king and dominating in the east.

Microsoft and Xbox going hybrid would a smart choice going forward, if they go the route. I wouldn't be surprised if they catch up or daresay surpass PlayStation next generation (in Japan); if they release a semi decent PC/console. The handheld in particular.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Quake 3 and UT doesn’t have continuous online support in exchange for monetary value. The same way Tekken 3 isn’t gaas while Tekken 8 is via selling you individual characters, stages or season passes.

Basically a gaas game doesn’t end until it cannot monetarily support itself. Non-gaas games do have an end.
What they sell or not is irrelevant. Those games can be played offline (maybe not LoL) and/or on my own servers.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
What they sell or not is irrelevant. Those games can be played offline and/or on my own servers.
It is completely relevant. GaaS is not about how a game can be played or what method. It is a business model not a genre nor does it need to be strictly SP or MP. They’re selling you their service. Candy Crush for example is gaas and it is an SP game.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Dota, Lol, CS are not Gaas nor live services.
Free to play games releasing new content with continuous ongoing development that is supported by in game monetisation fees. 100% GaaS games. Some of the most profitable and famous GaaS games for that matter. Just because you can play offline and on your LAN for some of them does not exclude them from the GaaS model.

Last edited:

Crayon

The pc-centric gaming stores and departments are looking pretty good these days. Most I've seen have a good enthusiast-focused vibe to them.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It is completely relevant. GaaS is not about how a game can be played or what method. It is a business model not a genre nor does it need to be strictly SP or MP. They’re selling you their service. Candy Crush for example is gaas and it is an SP game.
By that logic Quake World, CoD, L4D, etc receiving new maps/modes or any game with expansion like Diablo 2 and Witcher 3 were/are GAAS too.

Sentenza

Tried some Odin Sphere with shadPS4 before.
I've been reading about this PS4 emulator for a while (mostly because of the fast progress on emulating Bloodborne) but I have yet to give it any actual try.

Is it relatively painless to set up?
I'm also wondering if it can work hooking up my legit PSN account. It would be nice to be able to download my PSN digital purchases directly on PC and emulate shit.

Top Bottom