• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan’s PC Gaming Market Size Triples In 4 Years (CESA Data)

snapdragon

Neo Member
Makes sense. When I was in Japan the PC gaming section in stuff like Bic and Yodabashi was bigger then I thought it would be considering their history with gaming. I think stuff like the Steam Deck also probably helped as Japan is very mobile/handheld focused.

PC Gaming is at a weird place for me right now. I've gamed on PC since I was a little kid in the late 90s and I feel like it's both the best and one of the worst times to game on PC. Hardware wise it's terrible, but game wise it's the best time to play.

I would be lying if I didn't say I missed the old days when every platform has its own clear identity. You went to consoles for certain things, and PC for others. Now everything outside of Nintendo is basically the same shit.
Exactly

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
14 exclusive games in 4 years is just insanely pathetic. Sony and Microsoft would have been eaten alive in any other console generation, glad nintendo is on top and PC is gaining traction.

There is a reason why people here are pushing Sony to release a Playstation launcher on PC. They want the Playstation brand to survive on PC in case something happens to consoles

Woopah

Was about to make a thread on this but was waiting for someone else to first.

It is kind of crazy to think that the console segment in Japan hasn't grown the past five years and yet PC has nearly tripled in its size within the same time span. If such growth continues, it will ultimately come at the expense of console market share within the country. Yes mobile has dropped maybe 5% during that period, but it has nearly 70% of Japan's gaming market share even now. Needless to say, PC growth won't encroach on mobile anytime soon, but could in fact relegate consoles to the lesser platform in the territory given another five years, and given Sony/SIE and/or Microsoft don't innovate for market share growth again.
There has been growth in the console market, it's just hard to maintain growth when Switch is in its 8th year (though PS5 did contribute in 2023).

We should start seeing more noticeable growth once Switch 2 launches.

drganon

I think worldwide might look quite different.
GXs0tnBWcAEaqk3

PC gaming is on a massive decline worldwide. It would be great if you could make a thread or something about it ❤️
Sorry, tardhands only makes troll threads.

There has been growth in the console market, it's just hard to maintain growth when Switch is in its 8th year (though PS5 did contribute in 2023).

We should start seeing more noticeable growth once Switch 2 launches.

That's been my point: the only growth happening in Japan for console (if it's been happening) is due to Nintendo. Microsoft are absolutely not pulling their weight there and PlayStation has dropped noticeably because software sales for PS5 have been generally abysmal. In a few weeks it'll start tracking behind PS4 in unit sales as well.

Nintendo alone can't overperform to the level of getting the console side of the market to grow in Japan when PlayStation and Xbox are unappealling offerings there. My bigger question is, will what's happening in Japan start happening in other markets where console is generally seen as more stable? Like in various European countries, will it start happening? Because we already know in parts of Europe PS5 is falling behind PS4 in LTD; in terms of total software revenue it's not as easy to say.

There is little really threatening growth of PC in those places, however, and that growth will likely come at some expense of PlayStation future market growth, or even retaining typical market share, in the same territories (Xbox is already dead in Europe aside UK and even there it's not doing too well). Nintendo might be affected a bit, but not nearly to the same degree. It'd be relative to the effect PC has had on mobile in Japan, which is to say...within a margin of error.

Last edited:

Woopah

That's been my point: the only growth happening in Japan for console (if it's been happening) is due to Nintendo. Microsoft are absolutely not pulling their weight there and PlayStation has dropped noticeably because software sales for PS5 have been generally abysmal. In a few weeks it'll start tracking behind PS4 in unit sales as well.

Nintendo alone can't overperform to the level of getting the console side of the market to grow in Japan when PlayStation and Xbox are unappealling offerings there. My bigger question is, will what's happening in Japan start happening in other markets where console is generally seen as more stable? Like in various European countries, will it start happening? Because we already know in parts of Europe PS5 is falling behind PS4 in LTD; in terms of total software revenue it's not as easy to say.

There is little really threatening growth of PC in those places, however, and that growth will likely come at some expense of PlayStation future market growth, or even retaining typical market share, in the same territories (Xbox is already dead in Europe aside UK and even there it's not doing too well). Nintendo might be affected a bit, but not nearly to the same degree. It'd be relative to the effect PC has had on mobile in Japan, which is to say...within a margin of error.
We are seeing the situation in Japan being replicated in countries like Taiwan and South Korea, but not elsewhere.

Outside Asia, the PS ecosystem is still seen as a primary place for many of the biggest franchises. Even if the high price is slowing down adoption of PS5 hardware, there's still a lot of people paying money to Sony on PS4, and PS5 has a high level of spend per user.

So I'm not really concerned about PS in the West. It and PC can coexist

Top Bottom