• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan’s PC Gaming Market Size Triples In 4 Years (CESA Data)

Holammer

I've been reading about this PS4 emulator for a while (mostly because of the fast progress on emulating Bloodborne) but I have yet to give it any actual try.

Is it relatively painless to set up?
I'm also wondering if it can work hooking up my legit PSN account. It would be nice to be able to download my PSN digital purchases directly on PC and emulate shit.
Super easy and very painless, you select the installation folder for games and install PKGs separately. No PSN hookup this early in development. In fact, you can wait a few weeks/months before you bother, most games crash after seconds.

killatopak

Gold Member
By that logic Quake World, CoD, L4D, etc receiving new maps/modes or any game with expansion like Diablo 2 and Witcher 3 were/are GAAS too.
If they were monetized then yes. Mods do not count.

Having an expansion doesn’t mean it’s a gaas. For example WoW and FFXIV. Even if you buy an expansion, you still have to pay for the subscription itself. For the F2P model, you instead pay for qol functions, skins, characters, and items etc.

The difference between a GaaS game and a non-gaas game is strictly about monetization. A business model.

For example, I do not think Stardew Valley is a gaas game despite it being continuously updated every year. Nor do I think No Man’s Sky is because they do not monetize the updates.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
If they were monetized then yes. Mods do not count.

Having an expansion doesn’t mean it’s a gaas. For example WoW and FFXIV. Even if you buy an expansion, you still have to pay for the subscription itself. For the F2P model, you instead pay for qol functions, skins, characters, and items etc.

The difference between a GaaS game and a non-gaas game is strictly about monetization. A business model.

For example, I do not think Stardew Valley is a gaas game despite it being continuously updated every year. Nor do I think No Man’s Sky is because they do not monetize the updates.
Why it needs to be monetized to be a service? Elder Scrolls Online or Guild Wars 2 are pay to play once and the server/updates are regular. Are they not GaaS?

killatopak

Gold Member
Why it needs to be monetized to be a service? Elder Scrolls Online or Guild Wars 2 are pay to play once and the server/updates are regular. Are they not GaaS?
Elder Scrolls and GW sells qol stuff like item bags and cosmetic items.

They operate on the same level as Path of Exile.

Last edited:

Cobaiye

Vanillaware:
w=480
Their loss honestly

Makes sense. When I was in Japan the PC gaming section in stuff like Bic and Yodabashi was bigger then I thought it would be considering their history with gaming. I think stuff like the Steam Deck also probably helped as Japan is very mobile/handheld focused.

PC Gaming is at a weird place for me right now. I've gamed on PC since I was a little kid in the late 90s and I feel like it's both the best and one of the worst times to game on PC. Hardware wise it's terrible, but game wise it's the best time to play.

I would be lying if I didn't say I missed the old days when every platform has its own clear identity. You went to consoles for certain things, and PC for others. Now everything outside of Nintendo is basically the same shit.

Was about to make a thread on this but was waiting for someone else to first.

It is kind of crazy to think that the console segment in Japan hasn't grown the past five years and yet PC has nearly tripled in its size within the same time span. If such growth continues, it will ultimately come at the expense of console market share within the country. Yes mobile has dropped maybe 5% during that period, but it has nearly 70% of Japan's gaming market share even now. Needless to say, PC growth won't encroach on mobile anytime soon, but could in fact relegate consoles to the lesser platform in the territory given another five years, and given Sony/SIE and/or Microsoft don't innovate for market share growth again.

And this should be particularly worrisome for Sony/SIE (IMHO), for a variety of reasons. For starters, it debunks the idea that PC is not a competitor to console: we have an example right here where PC is gaining market share mostly at the expense of the console market, be it a stagnating market (mainly due to PlayStation and Xbox), or declining market (same). Secondly, while "PC" is a catch-all for a bevy of different storefronts, the dominant OS Japanese gamers are likely using for those is Windows...which Microsoft owns. Meaning, this is at worst a lateral gain, and in ways a net gain for Microsoft in something they've always wanted to do: squeeze Sony out of the gaming market as a threat (as a platform holder).

The last but most concerning thing is, what's happening in Japan could just as easily happen in other, more Western countries where currently PlayStation is making some small gains over Xbox. There are several European markets where PC is a pretty sizable segment, and if what happens in Japan happens in those places, PC gaming's growth (if it grows) would come predominantly at the expense of console market share. Arguably, we are seeing this already in some European countries: despite being roughly on par with PS4 launch-aligned in Japan, ahead of PS4 launch-aligned in the US, launch-aligned in the UK and supposedly seeing big sales in emerging markets like China, the PS5 is still globally some 2+ million behind PS4 launch-aligned. Why is that? Chances are, it's because of several European markets, and if those gamers aren't jumping on PS5 yet aren't strictly staying behind on PS4, where are they going? Chances are, it's PC.

What's more, I don't know if systems like the PS5 Pro are answers to addressing this potential problem. In fact they might be enabling more migration to PC, not less. Especially this gen where, rightly or wrongly, some feel that the gen has barely started and yet there's already a mid-gen refresh. These people could feel as though they're being told their initial purchase of the regular system was a waste of time, and that the "real" PS5 is coming out now. So, if they sold their PS5 prior and wanted to get the "real" PS5...welp pay up $700. If they're somewhere that they can't trade in their used PS5...welp pay up the $700 for the "real" PS5. This isn't my POV BTW; I'm just saying there is probably some small portion of PS5 owners who might be feeling this way, and this could lead them towards alternative platforms to invest in, such as PC (specifically, any number of the major storefronts on PC, most likely Steam).

This trend could also prove that chasing more power for the sake of more power, isn't the answer going forward either. So people expecting the next PlayStation to be some 50 TF/100 TF 64 GB monster with a 5090-level GPU...they might want to go take a nap and refresh themselves. Because that just isn't happening, especially not when budgets & TOD (Time of Development) for AAA titles keeps increasing.

Ultimatey I'm glad that PC gaming is seeing growth, but if I'm Sony or Microsoft, it should be concerning that in markets like Japan it's mainly Nintendo who's keeping consoles afloat. It should be concerning that Japan may not be an outlier in this as time goes on. It should be concerning that PC's growth is mainly coming at the expense of consoles. And if I'm Sony/SIE, it should be concerning that all of this PC gaming growth is in some way still under the domain of Microsoft since it's happening with Windows as the dominant PC OS.

If I'm Sony/SIE, I either try getting a PS PC launcher going ASAP and push it to high heaven, or I do everything to drive innovation in value and catalog with PlayStation hardware to grow the console market in an additive way (i.e not just relying on scooping up Xbox or Nintendo market share to grow PlayStation's). And right now it just feels like SIE are meandering somewhere in the middle of those two choices. The time to make the decision should be now, not five years from now, and they have to choose one because it's not gonna be possible to do both simultaneously. It simply won't be possible, without one suffering at the expense of the other. We've seen it in action already with Microsoft, and they have the advantage of owning Windows and being a $3 trillion mega-conglomerate.

Makes sense. A lot of games are getting PC ports out faster these days, if not day one. And PlayStation getting more and more expensive + moving away from their types of games. Another reason why Nintendo Switch is king and dominating in the east.

Microsoft and Xbox going hybrid would a smart choice going forward, if they go the route. I wouldn't be surprised if they catch up or daresay surpass PlayStation next generation (in Japan); if they release a semi decent PC/console. The handheld in particular.

They would not catch up to or surpass PS in Japan next gen even with a hybrid PC/console approach to their business model and features for the platform. Because even if PS declines gen-on-gen, they'd still do 5-6 million with PS6 (potentially 9-10 million w/ a proper handheld + PS6) and that's with the current trajectory PS5 is seeing.

MS's approach next gen would not be in pushing volume, and they'd likely target 20-25 million lifetime if things go right (and they're the only ones manufacturing the hardware). That probably gives them 2-3 million in Japan between whatever configurations they go for. Now, if they do everything right in terms of the hardware approach and also get other OEMs onboard, maybe that could increase to 4-5 million in Japan. IF they got SEGA as one of those manufacturers, and depending on what type of devices SEGA decided to make, they could probably get within 7-8 million lifetime in Japan.

So not enough to meet or beat a best-case for Sony/SIE, but it'd be significantly more competitive and would be the best Xbox has ever done in Japan for a generation. Again though, it staying this close kind of assumes Sony/SIE keep making mistakes in Japan, push high hardware prices next-gen and don't have software appealing to the market. It also kind of assumes Switch 2 performs on par with Switch in Japan . If Switch 2 were to do better than Switch 1 there, it'd mainly come at the expense of PlayStation sales. If Sony/SIE don't have a proper portable companion next-gen, then MS could beat them with a hybrid PC/console approach in that market, provided they themselves don't make any major mistakes.

But if Sony/SIE actually start prioritizing Japan again with the hardware & software, they'd likely quickly reverse whatever declines in momentum PS5 is bringing and would be able to start tracking to perhaps hit between PS4 & PS3 numbers there. If they also reversed or scaled back in certain policy decisions regarding multiplatform, make PS+ more appealing & reasonably priced, or do something drastic like remove the online paywall...well no, MS can't compete with all of that and a likely PS6 portable no matter how good an offering they bring with the next line of Xbox hardware.

Then again, they wouldn't need to, and could comfortably carve out a healthy niche in Japan. Certainly better than any Xbox generation beforehand, by a wide margin.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Probably a few things leading to this.

- Indie game scene is massive on PC, these type of games are always popular in Japan.
- Rise of streaming and Vtubers, overwhelmingly popular on PC for obvious reasons.
- Game genres popular in Japan were hard to find on PC, this has now completely changed.
- Rise of truly useable portable games on PC.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Was about to make a thread on this but was waiting for someone else to first.

It is kind of crazy to think that the console segment in Japan hasn't grown the past five years and yet PC has nearly tripled in its size within the same time span. If such growth continues, it will ultimately come at the expense of console market share within the country. Yes mobile has dropped maybe 5% during that period, but it has nearly 70% of Japan's gaming market share even now. Needless to say, PC growth won't encroach on mobile anytime soon, but could in fact relegate consoles to the lesser platform in the territory given another five years, and given Sony/SIE and/or Microsoft don't innovate for market share growth again.

And this should be particularly worrisome for Sony/SIE (IMHO), for a variety of reasons. For starters, it debunks the idea that PC is not a competitor to console: we have an example right here where PC is gaining market share mostly at the expense of the console market, be it a stagnating market (mainly due to PlayStation and Xbox), or declining market (same). Secondly, while "PC" is a catch-all for a bevy of different storefronts, the dominant OS Japanese gamers are likely using for those is Windows...which Microsoft owns. Meaning, this is at worst a lateral gain, and in ways a net gain for Microsoft in something they've always wanted to do: squeeze Sony out of the gaming market as a threat (as a platform holder).

The last but most concerning thing is, what's happening in Japan could just as easily happen in other, more Western countries where currently PlayStation is making some small gains over Xbox. There are several European markets where PC is a pretty sizable segment, and if what happens in Japan happens in those places, PC gaming's growth (if it grows) would come predominantly at the expense of console market share. Arguably, we are seeing this already in some European countries: despite being roughly on par with PS4 launch-aligned in Japan, ahead of PS4 launch-aligned in the US, launch-aligned in the UK and supposedly seeing big sales in emerging markets like China, the PS5 is still globally some 2+ million behind PS4 launch-aligned. Why is that? Chances are, it's because of several European markets, and if those gamers aren't jumping on PS5 yet aren't strictly staying behind on PS4, where are they going? Chances are, it's PC.

What's more, I don't know if systems like the PS5 Pro are answers to addressing this potential problem. In fact they might be enabling more migration to PC, not less. Especially this gen where, rightly or wrongly, some feel that the gen has barely started and yet there's already a mid-gen refresh. These people could feel as though they're being told their initial purchase of the regular system was a waste of time, and that the "real" PS5 is coming out now. So, if they sold their PS5 prior and wanted to get the "real" PS5...welp pay up $700. If they're somewhere that they can't trade in their used PS5...welp pay up the $700 for the "real" PS5. This isn't my POV BTW; I'm just saying there is probably some small portion of PS5 owners who might be feeling this way, and this could lead them towards alternative platforms to invest in, such as PC (specifically, any number of the major storefronts on PC, most likely Steam).

This trend could also prove that chasing more power for the sake of more power, isn't the answer going forward either. So people expecting the next PlayStation to be some 50 TF/100 TF 64 GB monster with a 5090-level GPU...they might want to go take a nap and refresh themselves. Because that just isn't happening, especially not when budgets & TOD (Time of Development) for AAA titles keeps increasing.

There used to be a ton of JP games that were Sony exclusives by default like Yakuza, Persona, fighting games, Falcom games, etc. Thankfully those days are long gone and all of that is day 1 on Steam now. I know you are fixated on Steam and PS being competitors but I would bet losing all those defacto exclusives and handheld PCs getting good had a far bigger effect than Uncharted 4 or whatever being on Steam.

Makes sense. When I was in Japan the PC gaming section in stuff like Bic and Yodabashi was bigger then I thought it would be considering their history with gaming. I think stuff like the Steam Deck also probably helped as Japan is very mobile/handheld focused.

PC Gaming is at a weird place for me right now. I've gamed on PC since I was a little kid in the late 90s and I feel like it's both the best and one of the worst times to game on PC. Hardware wise it's terrible, but game wise it's the best time to play.

I would be lying if I didn't say I missed the old days when every platform has its own clear identity. You went to consoles for certain things, and PC for others. Now everything outside of Nintendo is basically the same shit.
Agreed. The top games listed aren’t very hardware intensive. Steamdeck and such probably represent the large jump in 2022.

hinch7

They would not catch up to or surpass PS in Japan next gen even with a hybrid PC/console approach to their business model and features for the platform. Because even if PS declines gen-on-gen, they'd still do 5-6 million with PS6 (potentially 9-10 million w/ a proper handheld + PS6) and that's with the current trajectory PS5 is seeing.

MS's approach next gen would not be in pushing volume, and they'd likely target 20-25 million lifetime if things go right (and they're the only ones manufacturing the hardware). That probably gives them 2-3 million in Japan between whatever configurations they go for. Now, if they do everything right in terms of the hardware approach and also get other OEMs onboard, maybe that could increase to 4-5 million in Japan. IF they got SEGA as one of those manufacturers, and depending on what type of devices SEGA decided to make, they could probably get within 7-8 million lifetime in Japan.

So not enough to meet or beat a best-case for Sony/SIE, but it'd be significantly more competitive and would be the best Xbox has ever done in Japan for a generation. Again though, it staying this close kind of assumes Sony/SIE keep making mistakes in Japan, push high hardware prices next-gen and don't have software appealing to the market. It also kind of assumes Switch 2 performs on par with Switch in Japan . If Switch 2 were to do better than Switch 1 there, it'd mainly come at the expense of PlayStation sales. If Sony/SIE don't have a proper portable companion next-gen, then MS could beat them with a hybrid PC/console approach in that market, provided they themselves don't make any major mistakes.

But if Sony/SIE actually start prioritizing Japan again with the hardware & software, they'd likely quickly reverse whatever declines in momentum PS5 is bringing and would be able to start tracking to perhaps hit between PS4 & PS3 numbers there. If they also reversed or scaled back in certain policy decisions regarding multiplatform, make PS+ more appealing & reasonably priced, or do something drastic like remove the online paywall...well no, MS can't compete with all of that and a likely PS6 portable no matter how good an offering they bring with the next line of Xbox hardware.

Then again, they wouldn't need to, and could comfortably carve out a healthy niche in Japan. Certainly better than any Xbox generation beforehand, by a wide margin.
True I don't expect them to do that realisically. It would be interesting to see if MS could gain traction with their new strategy. With that said I think Sony has done massive amount of damage to its brand in Japan. The interest for the console outside Nintendo has been massively reduced for an already dwindling number from PS4. PS4 managed around around 9M LT sales. PS5 so far - 5M, just last year. Granted there are some legs out with the slim model and the Pro releasing soon. They also jacked up the price as well, which no doubt puts a lot of customers off to look for alternate platforms like PC to play the latest games.

And with how much Japanese gamers favoring portable consoles as well, it would make sense that the first on the market to produce a easy to use, portable for PC gaming that runs everything (running some sort of modified Windows). Obviously I don't expect them to outsell PS on their home turf, but it would be interesting if Microsoft can actually get a foot hold in Japan with a new strategy. Playing with their strengths and may prove to be a worthy competitor to Sony over there.

Last edited:

Cobaiye

I personally LOVE their games and I will continue to support them but I do hope on day they do release their games on PC.

I’m not PC gamers but I want to see Vanillaware even more success.

That's what I mean, I'd buy their whole catalog of games if they were on Steam because I've read so many great things about them, just like your post. It's a shame they hold such a backwards opinion on PC gaming when it's the healthiest it has ever been. I really don't understand why them and Rockstar are so relunctant to embrace this market.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I wonder if there's any region on earth seeing a decrease in PC market size recently. Just seems to be going up and up worldwide
Maybe one of the current warzones with trade restrictions or something
There is ,in some of european countries. PC gaming (hardware at least) is actually declining in countries like Germany in 2023.

I think gaming PC market also does not perform very well in Finland, if im not mistaken.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There used to be a ton of JP games that were Sony exclusives by default like Yakuza, Persona, fighting games, Falcom games, etc. Thankfully those days are long gone and all of that is day 1 on Steam now. I know you are fixated on Steam and PS being competitors but I would bet losing all those defacto exclusives and handheld PCs getting good had a far bigger effect than Uncharted 4 or whatever being on Steam.

They are even using Playstation PC games to promote Steam gift card now
IMG-5965.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Good news. Hopefully this leads to japanese devs improving their skills when it comes to porting their games to PC. More often than not they lack lots of graphical options and even stuff like DLSS.

Yeah Atlus I'm looking at you. 👀

Well, I wouldn't say "thankfully"; ultimately if the games are what people want they will go where the games are. Always have, always will. And I guess we're seeing that play out in Japan with PC making gains mainly at the expense of PlayStation and Xbox, and a tiny bit of mobile.

That said, you have a point: losing exclusivity on games like Yakuza, Persona, Monster Hunter, the Falcom games etc. in Japan has 100% hurt PlayStation and become big gains for PC (specifically, for Steam) as a result. Since some of those have been going to Nintendo, they've also been seeing gains. I'm personally not concerned with whatever happens, but Sony/SIE should be seriously thinking about resolving the drift because it is real, and it could play out in markets besides Japan.

If it happens anytime over the next 3-4 years, it's some of the European markets that should be their top priority, considering a huge chunk of PlayStation's market share and revenue comes from that part of the world. And PC has been ubiquitous there for a while if not making gains in select markets while PS5 sales are slowing down across Europe (and a big contributor to why it's fallen behind PS4 launch-aligned).

They are even using Playstation PC games to promote Steam gift card now
IMG-5965.jpg

Really wonder how that Goldman Sachs investor is feeling right now...

True I don't expect them to do that realisically. It would be interesting to see if MS could gain traction with their new strategy. With that said I think Sony has done massive amount of damage to its brand in Japan. The interest for the console outside Nintendo has been massively reduced for an already dwindling number from PS4. PS4 managed around around 9M LT sales. PS5 so far - 5M, just last year. Granted there are some legs out with the slim model and the Pro releasing soon. They also jacked up the price as well, which no doubt puts a lot of customers off to look for alternate platforms like PC to play the latest games.

And with how much Japanese gamers favoring portable consoles as well, it would make sense that the first on the market to produce a easy to use, portable for PC gaming that runs everything (running some sort of modified Windows). Obviously I don't expect them to outsell PS on their home turf, but it would be interesting if Microsoft can actually get a foot hold in Japan with a new strategy. Playing with their strengths and may prove to be a worthy competitor to Sony over there.

Man who knows if there will even be a PS5 Slim this generation; we've reached that point now. The purpose of a Slim is to make the console cheaper through cost reduction, but PS5's price has only been increasing globally...everywhere except the US. I think when it comes to handling the pricing situation, SIE have gotten carpel tunnel vision and are making the mistake Microsoft have made with Xbox as a whole the past two gens: putting America ahead of the rest of the world. They're willing to let PS5 install base growth slow down everywhere else just to increase market lead in the U.S.A. Makes little sense, and yes I know about the yen and all of that; still doesn't change too much.

As for Microsoft, their hybrid strategy could yield some good results in Japan depending on timing (2026 would be at least 2 years ahead of a PS6 portable, only a year after Switch 2, likely around or a year ahead of Steam Deck 2), how hybridization works (can they run Windows apps through Xbox OS, for example), how they monetize alt storefront access (AKA how will that increase Game Pass prices or look like with a new tier?), how much volume they produce, and pricing (can they have spec configs that allow for a good scale-down on price while still retaining healthy profit margins on hardware?).

If their handheld is ready in 2026 and gets everything else right, they could do pretty well in Japan. PS5's looking at 8K-9K weekly averages now thanks to the price increases; I don't see why a hypothetical Xbox portable on a hybrid business model & whatnot can't do 5K-6K weeklies as an average. That's about 312K yearly in Japan and that's before considering OEM variants or a SEGA variant in particular. Since the business model would be closer in competing with a Steam Deck, that's a very good number to hit, if they could hit it, and there's the chance they could get higher.

Though how much higher is a big question. I don't know if systems like Steam Deck are supply-constrained in Japan or not. Maybe they are; if so maybe we're talking closer to 2x, 3x or even 4x the numbers I just said. We don't really know yet but if there's one company that has the capacity to find out, it's probably Microsoft. But I'll stress again; it HAS to be something with a more hybrid business model. A locked-down Series S in portable form, continuing the business model as-is, won't do much for them in Japan. At least with a more PC-like business model they have better room for profits, and don't have to go bonkers in volume of production or be overly reliant on 3P licensing cuts anymore (that's where tying access to Steam through Game Pass comes in, for example).

And back to Sony...of course if they are doing a PS6 Portable that should help a lot in reversing declining PS market share in Japan and other parts of the world, quite significantly. But they'll have to play tighter on pricing and margins because that's still going to be a system with a more traditional business model, since the PS6 itself will have a more traditional business model. They could price the PS6 itself for bigger margins and the portable for shoring up a larger install base, then prioritize stock splits to markets based on needs. Sony might have to do other things to make the PS6 gen appealing in the face of this hypothetical next-gen Xbox, growing PC market and Nintendo's presence along with ever-present mobile, though.

That's why a long while back I suggested they take a more Amiga approach and open up PS to more general entertainment, productivity & creativity software/apps, but those being things SIE themselves make, and could be used in a way to add value to PS+ while revamping PS+ (such as getting rid of online paywall). They should've already started doing this by converting Dreams into a creativity production package for PS5, and just finding a way to let users host & sell content on PSN (with approval; no approval needed when sharing between Friends but maybe can't sell directly to Friends as a result). Or bringing back features from PS Home into the UI experience.

They'll need more creative approaches like this going forward, not just doing more of the same with power increases or safe sequels to franchise IP & glut of GAAS. And they need more high-tier AA output like Astro Bot, too.

Lorianus

Vtubers getting really popular and promoting f2p gachas i guess, playable at home on a potato and mobile on your phone = win/win for a working culture where people get randomly isekai'ed from overworking to death.

Last edited:

ArtHands

A friend of mine recently returned from Japan, he's seen more Steam Deck and ROG Ally over there compared to the UK.

They have been promoting the Steam Deck, but it remains a slightly elusive product with consistent sold outs, restriction to 1 SD per customer and limited physical retail presence.

This is the same for the rest of their supporting countries, where you can only buy from Steam website with a Steam account, or through a handful of authorized physical retailers. Steam Deck is still not available in many parts of the world too.

namenotfound

Neo Member
I see an eventual convergence of mobile and pc gaming because of how powerful phones are getting and improving open source tools to bring PC games to Android

This example I saw in the past week. That's almost as good as a Steam Deck for settings and performance. That's with an immature emulator and immature open source drivers for the Adreno GPU in the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3. Then the 8 Gen 4 is this/next month and it's bringing Qualcomms custom core, leaks suggesting major GPU performance upllift, die shrink down to 3nm. In the near future, peoples PC libraries are going to expand in availability tremendously. The problem native iOS and Android games have when they're not live service, they eventually become abandonware and possibly lose compatibility in newer OS versions. Using WINE/Proton means one target to update rather than every game needs update. The dissapointment when Hades showed up on iOS through Netflix Games but not Android is solved with WINE on Android. Once its streamlined, if you have a Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 phone or better, you effectively have a Steam Deck and every year that kind of performance inches towards budget phones. Convergence of PC and mobile gaming. Strengthening the appeal for PC and mobile phones as gaming platforms

Last edited:

ArtHands

Seems the combined console market has hit a ceiling since the past few years, while PC continues to grow.

Switch dominate more than half of the overall console market there, which means Switch takes up more than half of that console’s 21% in 2023. I am lazy to go source for the exact numbers, but if we splits up that 21%, this means Switch has (way) more than 10.5% of the share there, while PS5, PS4 and Xbox has the remaining %

And since PC has 13%, fair to say it has eclipsed non-Switch consoles like PS5. Should be on par with Nintendo Switch

cesa.png

Last edited:

ArtHands

I think worldwide might look quite different.
GXs0tnBWcAEaqk3

PC gaming is on a massive decline worldwide. It would be great if you could make a thread or something about it ❤️

Already debunked

Top Bottom