• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

urfe

I would be in.

The place in Yotsuya I mentioned is 1000 yen for 100 minutes of self service nomihodai, which I think is rad.

Would be fine with other places. Shinagawa would work. Prefer Sobu though.

Zornica

Banned
I would be in.

The place in Yotsuya I mentioned is 1000 yen for 100 minutes of self service nomihodai, which I think is rad.

Would be fine with other places. Shinagawa would work. Prefer Sobu though.

what's it called? or rather, is there some kind of menu I can check online?

Ayumi

For what it's worth, I prefer to not travel that far if we're gonna drink. Shinagawa is definitely too far for me. I'd prefer somewhere around Shibuya I think, as long as it's central enough to get home by taxi 10min max (I don't take trains alone when drunk since I'm scared of the tracks/pushing/etc, however stupid that sounds).

Also whoa, apparently I live in the same building as one of the members from V6. Σ(゜д゜;)

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
For what it's worth, I prefer to not travel that far if we're gonna drink. Shinagawa is definitely too far for me. I'd prefer somewhere around Shibuya I think, as long as it's central enough to get home by taxi 10min max (I don't take trains alone when drunk since I'm scared of the tracks/pushing/etc, however stupid that sounds).

Also whoa, apparently I live in the same building as one of the members from V6. Σ(゜д゜;)

Don't worry, i will take care of you if is far, i don't mind to detour so you will be safe and then go home.

Taxi is on me :D

PS: I prefer too more close to Shibuya/Shinjuku :)

Ayumi

Don't worry, i will take care of you if is far, i don't mind to detour so you will be safe and then go home.

Taxi is on me :D

PS: I prefer too more close to Shibuya/Shinjuku :)

じゃ、車に座っているときいつも不安を感じる。それでも10分は大丈夫です。ちょっとまって、I will pay my own taxi!

(added some English in case of ~forum rules~)

Gromph

Staff Member
じゃ、車に座っているときいつも不安を感じる。それでも10分は大丈夫です。ちょっとまって、I will pay my own taxi!

(added some English in case of ~forum rules~)

Don't worry, 日本語は大丈夫ですね

Mik2121

How do you guys cope with the new Steam update with the Yen in place and making things more expensive? To me this country (and Steam) drives me nuts when it comes to PC support.

I wanted to buy Alien Isolation via Steam because this game is not getting released in Japan (Sega decided not to). However the store is region locked and now it seems to be impossible to officially purchase the game unless you go through extra shit to get your hand on a code and hope you don't get region locked... ughh...!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
How do you guys cope with the new Steam update with the Yen in place and making things more expensive? To me this country (and Steam) drives me nuts when it comes to PC support.

I wanted to buy Alien Isolation via Steam because this game is not getting released in Japan (Sega decided not to). However the store is region locked and now it seems to be impossible to officially purchase the game unless you go through extra shit to get your hand on a code and hope you don't get region locked... ughh...!
Buy a code somewhere, use a free US vpn to activate it. After that you can play it.
Annoying, but I don't think there's any other way.

Mik2121

Buy a code somewhere, use a free US vpn to activate it. After that you can play it.
Annoying, but I don't think there's any other way.

Yeah... if I use a VPN I might as well just buy it from Steam directly. Shit like this is so annoying... like those websites that automatically go into Japanese and won't let you change the language even if your browser is in English and the website is originally from Europe or the US. Ughhhh....

Do you have a foreign credit card? Usually you can't use a card registered in a different country from your current IP address, for security reasons. However, you can contact Steam Support and ask them to 'unlock' your account. You can then make purchases from your home country's Steam store, but only via a browser, the Steam App will still lock you out.

I've been purchasing in £ for the past 3 years.

I found the change to yen made games cheaper. But to answer your question about region locking, I get a friend who lives in America to buy the games for me and I pay him back.

MightyKAC

If you use this url http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us to purchase things you should be able to avoid all the hassle and see all the games you might not see otherwise.

You should be able to use a US credit card or paypal.

Mik2121

Do you have a foreign credit card? Usually you can't use a card registered in a different country from your current IP address, for security reasons. However, you can contact Steam Support and ask them to 'unlock' your account. You can then make purchases from your home country's Steam store, but only via a browser, the Steam App will still lock you out.

I've been purchasing in £ for the past 3 years.
I will see if I can do something about that!

I found the change to yen made games cheaper. But to answer your question about region locking, I get a friend who lives in America to buy the games for me and I pay him back.
Could be. For some games (mainly the square enix stuff I won't even buy anyway!) it's more expensive though. With the current rate it's better to purchase in Yen, thankfully.

If you use this url http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=us to purchase things you should be able to avoid all the hassle and see all the games you might not see otherwise.

You should be able to use a US credit card or paypal.
Thanks! This worked. I have a JP credit card only so I went with the paypal method. I got the game now waiting there to install.

Sakura

Is there any easy way to get a Japanese credit card? I don't even care if the limit is only like 200 bucks, it would be convenient for things.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is there any easy way to get a Japanese credit card? I don't even care if the limit is only like 200 bucks, it would be convenient for things.
If you want it for Internet shopping, open an UFJ account and get their Visa debit card.
If it has to be a cc, rakuten ones are the easiest to get.

Wubby

If you want it for Internet shopping, open an UFJ account and get their Visa debit card.
If it has to be a cc, rakuten ones are the easiest to get.

I wish I had known about these years ago... My bank wouldn't give me a credit card until I became a permanent resident. I hated having to COD everything I bought online.

I had them unlock my Steam account a long time ago... I stopped using my American CC though and have just been using my Japanese one (but still paying US store prices). Haven't tried it lately though...

Zornica

Banned
so.. another taifun on tuesday? and this time it's supposed to be even stronger (and slower moving)?
stay save guys!

(at least it gives me an excuse to play mh4g all day long)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Hopefully they cancel class again so I can be safe from one hour of wind and slight rain before 7 hours of sunshine :v

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
"Another one?" I thought before noticing that you're all talking about the one that's been the only topic of news for the last week...

Ayumi

It's in Okinawa now.. And a lot of people I know are there right now. Saw some videos and it's soooo windy. (;´・ω・)

Hey JPGAF. I'm interested in traveling to your country one day, and i've been doing some research. I have some questions though, due to my curiosity:

First off, for those of you who've traveled throughout the country, what are the people (ladies preferably) like in the different cities?

For instance, what's Fukuoka like compared to Nagasaki or Kagoshima? What are the people like there? What about the people of Kyoto compared to Tokyo?

What's the north like in places like Akita or Iwate? Do the girls typically act different in the north compared to the south? (Crazy question, I know)

Thanks in advance for those of you willing to answer my questions. lol

Ayumi

Hey JPGAF. I'm interested in traveling to your country one day, and i've been doing some research. I have some questions though, due to my curiosity:

First off, for those of you who've traveled throughout the country, what are the people (ladies preferably) like in the different cities?

For instance, what's Fukuoka like compared to Nagasaki or Kagoshima? What are the people like there? What about the people of Kyoto compared to Tokyo?

What's the north like in places like Akita or Iwate? Do the girls typically act different in the north compared to the south? (Crazy question, I know)

Thanks in advance for those of you willing to answer my questions. lol

Akita (I live in Tokyo but go there 1-2 times a year to visit family): I know that the women are usually more pale there with very beautiful skin. They tend to look more beautiful in general due to living a more traditional lifestyle, as well as having a different diet than in the major cities. The weather is also different. It's still nice and warm though.

It's not right to think they are all the same though. I'm sure there are women who are loud and obnoxious like in Shibuya, but they're more reserved and quiet. But don't forget that a lot of people tend to move to the bigger cities for University, which exposes them to a bigger part of the culture. Some feel super lonely moving 1 hour away, others love it. I think the biggest difference you will notice is that people stare more at you the more north you go. I'm very pale and taller than most and I definitely notice people look more at me in Akita/Iwate/etc. It's very embarrassing.. even though they mean no harm.

Again, it's probably different from every person but in general they seem more quiet, curious and peaceful. You will love it, I'm sure! There can be some slight differences, but they're not as big as US vs Japan, etc. You will find them as polite and nice as anywhere. Maybe even more polite!

Akita (I live in Tokyo but go there 1-2 times a year to visit family): I know that the women are usually more pale there with very beautiful skin. They tend to look more beautiful in general due to living a more traditional lifestyle, as well as having a different diet than in the major cities. The weather is also different. It's still nice and warm though.

It's not right to think they are all the same though. I'm sure there are women who are loud and obnoxious like in Shibuya, but they're more reserved and quiet. But don't forget that a lot of people tend to move to the bigger cities for University, which exposes them to a bigger part of the culture. Some feel super lonely moving 1 hour away, others love it. I think the biggest difference you will notice is that people stare more at you the more north you go. I'm very pale and taller than most and I definitely notice people look more at me in Akita/Iwate/etc. It's very embarrassing.. even though they mean no harm.

Again, it's probably different from every person but in general they seem more quiet, curious and peaceful. You will love it, I'm sure! There can be some slight differences, but they're not as big as US vs Japan, etc. You will find them as polite and nice as anywhere. Maybe even more polite!

Awesome. Thanks very much for your input! I have family in Okinawa i'm trying to visit soon, as well as a buddy who lives in Shibuya that's down to do some traveling around the country with me so i'm taking all of this in so I can experience the various cultures of your country!

EDIT - Also, do you have any tips for 2 guys traveling the country with one being the only fluent japanese speaker (not me lol)? It'll be my friend's first time too because he's usually in working in Tokyo and I think he's been to Kyoto a couple times a year to visit his mother who works at Nintendo I believe.

Gromph

Staff Member
Awesome. Thanks very much for your input! I have family in Okinawa i'm trying to visit soon, as well as a buddy who lives in Shibuya that's down to do some traveling around the country with me so i'm taking all of this in so I can experience the various cultures of your country!

EDIT - Also, do you have any tips for 2 guys traveling the country with one being the only fluent japanese speaker (not me lol)? It'll be my friend's first time too because he's usually in working in Tokyo and I think he's been to Kyoto a couple times a year to visit his mother who works at Nintendo I believe.

Check the traveling thread for ideas :)

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=539079

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Can't say I care much about these, but I tried one with almond and one with banana. Both were very tasty! Which ones are your favorites?

I was vegan before moving here so all I used to drink was soymilk. Even back when I was younger and drank cow's milk it was usually skim and milk in Japan seems to be on the less-skim side which tastes too much like milk for me (I know that sounds dumb but skim milk is more watery I guess) so I consider myself tounyu emperor god.

Most of the fruit ones I don't like. Probably my favourites are black tea, matcha, cocoa, black sesame, and now maybe the ginger one? Some of the others are too sweet or just disgusting (never try the cola one)

Also was bored in Koenji so bought this.

XX8zHGU.jpg

Zornica

Banned
regarding the taifun... I was planing to go to Tokyo tomorrow to visit some friends, but now I'm kinda worried that I might not get back to Yokohama if the trains get shut down...

am I worrying to much?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
regarding the taifun... I was planing to go to Tokyo tomorrow to visit some friends, but now I'm kinda worried that I might not get back to Yokohama if the trains get shut down...

am I worrying to much?

In the evening is when its supposed to get bad, so you might want to plan on that.

We all know this shit with the weather never goes as plans, so all up to you really if you want to risk it or not. Are these friends you cant see some other time? (As in only in country temp) sorta deal?
Do suppose if you get stuck in Tokyo you could always hobo it out in a net cafe somewhere playing MH4G.

I was vegan before moving here so all I used to drink was soymilk. Even back when I was younger and drank cow's milk it was usually skim and milk in Japan seems to be on the less-skim side which tastes too much like milk for me (I know that sounds dumb but skim milk is more watery I guess) so I consider myself tounyu emperor god.

Most of the fruit ones I don't like. Probably my favourites are black tea, matcha, cocoa, black sesame, and now maybe the ginger one? Some of the others are too sweet or just disgusting (never try the cola one)

XX8zHGU.jpg

lol thats pretty awesome. You should make it your avatar.

Aizo

Banned

XX8zHGU.jpg

Too cute. :bow :bow Tounyu Emperor God.

mujun

According to Storm Tracker the typhoon is currently at tropical storm level (second lowest) and just past Okinawa. It looks like it'll just bring some rain and wind. I doubt we'll see a warning.

Zornica

Banned
In the evening is when its supposed to get bad, so you might want to plan on that.

We all know this shit with the weather never goes as plans, so all up to you really if you want to risk it or not. Are these friends you cant see some other time? (As in only in country temp) sorta deal?
Do suppose if you get stuck in Tokyo you could always hobo it out in a net cafe somewhere playing MH4G.

lol thats pretty awesome. You should make it your avatar.

so basically: better stuck at home than stuck in a hobo net cafe...
it's probably for the better

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Wait today is a holiday?

I just walked to school for class and was wondering why it was empty. (._. )

Top Bottom