• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Its' sports day ponpo!

and thank god. 3 day week, school has bunkasai on friday \o/

You don't check calendars? Metro advertising? :D

How can someone not check holidays at least twice a week!!
2 days off in November btw.!

sticker_from_Line_of_guy_ORZing.jpg

I guess I have class so rarely (once a week) that I don't really check specific days or anything since aside from school it's irrelevant whether or not a day is a holiday for me.

mujun

So how is the typhoon in Tokyo?

In Osaka it only really rained from 12:30 to about 1:45.

I rode from Kyobashi into Shinsaibashi, had lunch and sold off Drive Club in Nipponbashi :)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I've decided I really want to live in Japan for awhile. Feeling huge withdrawals from Japanese culture after breaking up with my Fukuokan gf and not visiting the country in awhile.

I get my degree soon. Will I be able to teach English with it, even though it's unrelated to English teaching?

CHusson91

Banned

I rode from Kyobashi into Shinsaibashi, had lunch and sold off Drive Club in Nipponbashi :)

Not bad here in Nerima right now, but later it's supposed to be pretty bad.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

Not bad here in Nerima right now, but later it's supposed to be pretty bad.

Good in Akasaka, just started to rain, but after i need to go Akihabara to meet a friends visiting Tokyo.

I've decided I really want to live in Japan for awhile. Feeling huge withdrawals from Japanese culture after breaking up with my Fukuokan gf and not visiting the country in awhile.

I get my degree soon. Will I be able to teach English with it, even though it's unrelated to English teaching?

What's your degree field?

Jintor

On JET, sure. Think most of the private companies just want any bachelors or equiv, but don't quote me on that.

Typhoon sucks. Not really a typhoon where I am, but wind is still strong enough to discourage me from venturing beyond my walls...

So dar, so good here in Fukuoka. Some rain, some wind but nothing too serious it seems. Been a great MH4G day so far. Now if only their servers would come up again...

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Over here in Tokyo nothing serious more like another rainy day so far. Will see how it goes as the night progresses.

Kazzy

Yeah, in Tokyo the rain seems fairly standard, if a little heavy. Though it's not so much the weather itself, but rather how others react to it.

I always find commuting during bad weather to be an utter chore, for that reason.

Parakeetman

Looking at the data again, the main part should be right over tokyo area around 0300. More like the outer edge will be clipping tokyo.

Wubby

We closed as soon as the emergency alarms started going off on the phones. I had just got to work too. Just windy and rainy though..

I know it's a bit selfish but I was hoping the typhoon would be a few hours later tomorrow morning. It would've been nice to have a 4 day weekend... I don't have to show up till just before 3rd period because of the typhoon but that just means I'll be doing multiple classes at once in the gym. Nobody focuses when there's 4 classes worth of students trying to learn the same thing at once...

Kazzy

I know it's a bit selfish but I was hoping the typhoon would be a few hours later tomorrow morning. It would've been nice to have a 4 day weekend.

You're just saying what we are all thinking. I'll be happy for it simply not inconveniencing my commute - because I know it won't be so bad that I'll get the day off.

Jake.

i arrived in osaka this morning via shinkansen, if i was an hour or so later i would be stuck in tokyo due to rail cancellations. i went out briefly at 6pm for dinner but came back to my hotel afterwards as the streets seemed fairly deserted. it sucks because i wanted to go to a club about 20mins away but i don't wanna risk being stuck outside when its over.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I mean this in the least offensive way possible, but how long have you been living here?

I want to post something like this almost every page lol.. back to the shadows I go..

Zornica

Banned
I mean this in the least offensive way possible, but how long have you been living here?

no offence taken, about ~3 months in total now.
I'm from a country where holiday means "free day for everyone" and not just "free day for people with privileges and non-retail jobs".
(also someone from the university told me that the local department store would be closed - which I found hard to believe)

oh great... just got a landslide warning-mail... and I don't even know if my area is effected or not because the homepage is getting hammered -_-

GorillaJu

Indeed, Yokohama City's webpage is getting hammered for sure. Trying to figure out of if I need to get shit packed up just in case. Don't think I have to worry where I am since I'm not near any rivers.

Really wish it would have just started later so I'd have the day off tomorrow.

urfe

no offence taken, about ~3 months in total now.
I'm from a country where holiday means "free day for everyone" and not just "free day for people with privileges and non-retail jobs".
(also someone from the university told me that the local department store would be closed - which I found hard to believe)

It just seems like something you'd find out really soon! There was two national holidays last month.

Mention you say you're a student though, because the university I work at doesn't do Monday national holidays: so I was at work today.

Sakura

Weather was pretty shitty in Fukuoka today.
Got drenched walking to work this morning even though I had an umbrella.
Then around noon it started getting super windy.
An old lady forgot her umbrella at the store, so I went outside to chase after her, and I was literally only outside for like 5 seconds and was already totally wet.
Seems ok right now though, mostly just windy.

Zornica

Banned
Indeed, Yokohama City's webpage is getting hammered for sure. Trying to figure out of if I need to get shit packed up just in case. Don't think I have to worry where I am since I'm not near any rivers.

Really wish it would have just started later so I'd have the day off tomorrow.

no rivers in my area, but a huge hill behind the house...
just got the map to load, seems like my house is going to be fine. but the whole neighbourhood across the main street (next to the hill) is coloured yellow...

It just seems like something you'd find out really soon! There was two national holidays last month.

Mention you say you're a student though, because the university I work at doesn't do Monday national holidays: so I was at work today.

well, so far there was no need to go to the Depato (or any other supermarket) on a holiday.

too bad :( , no class for me today

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
According to the weather app that I'm using (weathernews), the hellish rain in Tokyo moved from Monday night -> Tuesday noon to Monday night -> Tuseday super early morning (4 am).
I guess it won't mess with my commute tomorrow.

Mik2121

Osaka here, rain is gone but it's still kinda windy.

If only this happened tomorrow morning... :p I like my work, but I like 4 days of vacation even more!

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Osaka here, rain is gone but it's still kinda windy.

If only this happened tomorrow morning... :p I like my work, but I like 4 days of vacation even more!

I worked yesterday and today and it seems tomorrow too, like marunochi line don't like to stop.

:/

And I went out to dinner with friends = nice time but so wet right now

Trains looks ok too.

Rootbeer

Banned
Question for Japan GAF...

You used to hear about how advanced Japanese mobile phones were a few years ago, with their fancy tv tuners and stuff. Then around 2010 you'd see articles about how the iPhone is taking over in Japan.

What is the status today? Are crazy japan-centric phones still thriving? Have there been any interesting innovations? Or is everyone just rocking an iPhone or one of the nicer Androids these days.

You used to hear about how advanced Japanese mobile phones were a few years ago, with their fancy tv tuners and stuff. Then around 2010 you'd see articles about how the iPhone is taking over in Japan.

What is the status today? Are crazy japan-centric phones still thriving? Have there been any interesting innovations? Or is everyone just rocking an iPhone or one of the nicer Androids these days.
Pretty much 50/50 iPhone/Android imho.

Zornica

Banned

Pretty much 50/50 iPhone/Android imho.

well, I've got a pantone 4, and it's pretty crazy alright.
It's kinda sad that android and apple took over the market. I'd love to see more alternative stuff.

Sakura

All the new phones are pretty much just Android and iPhones as far as I'm aware.
I mean, you still have the TV tuners and stuff (I can watch 1080p TV on my phone) but I'm not really sure what else you would add.

Mik2121

As it's been said already, it's pretty much 50/50 iPhone and Android, with one or two Japanese phones here and there every 1000 people or so, lol. Also some people sticking to the old phones, but those are mostly older people.

Wubby

When I got my 3G on Softbank in '09 everyone still had flip phones at that time. I sold quite a few people on the iPhone over the years.

You'll still see some crazy stuff on the Android smartphones though. Sharp likes trying different things (like the 3D screen smartphones they had). Still wish the iPhone was waterproof like the Xpaerias.

I'm looking for a job in the IT industry in Japan. I have done interviews on Skype with several companies, but of course they'd hope to meet me in person too. I'm considering renting an apartment in Tokyo for most of December while I'm interviewing. (I haven't quit my current job, I'm spending the majority of my leave on this). So with luck, in half a year I'll be able to contribute to this thread!

Weather seems ok in Fukuoka for now. Anyway, everybody stay safe! Good night!

image8kyuk.jpg

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm looking for a job in the IT industry in Japan. I have done interviews on Skype with several companies, but of course they'd hope to meet me in person too. I'm considering renting an apartment in Tokyo for most of December while I'm interviewing. (I haven't quit my current job, I'm spending the majority of my leave on this). So with luck, in half a year I'll be able to contribute to this thread!

Not sure where you live but you should time your stay for the Tokyo winter CFN if you don't have a local one near you. I've got our Boston recruitment in a few weeks. careerforum.net

urfe

Typhoon didn't really do much in Chiba. Doesn't seem so windy now.

Or so I thought, but looking at train delays, a lot of them are in Chiba.

Gacha-pin

みんな無事?台風一過で空が澄みきってる@東京

Parakeetman

that was quite uneventful, though thats a good thing with no injuries and damage here. so much for all the noise the eggheads were making about this one.

though down where it was stronger had high 80s for injuries and 1 missing i think.

Quick question JapanGAF, does anybody know where I can score some relatively cheap tickets to Japan? I'm trying to take my family there and I can't find any adult tickets sub 1,000 USD. I was planning on departing during my sons winter session so (Dec 19th to Dec. 31st). Leaving from LAX to Narita(vice versa). I was wondering if anybody knows of any deals out there. It would really help me out(discounts, rebates etc...). Thanks JapanGAF!

*Combed through the OP, guess my question has been answered* I do recall December always being pricey. :(

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
What's with the terrible forecasting of typhoons? This is the third or fourth in a row where my school cancelled classes ahead of time and it literally stopped being rainy / windy before 10am and was sunny the rest of the day.

What's with the terrible forecasting of typhoons? This is the third or fourth in a row where my school cancelled classes ahead of time and it literally stopped being rainy / windy before 10am and was sunny the rest of the day.
Just in case it really does get bad is my guess. They can make up that lost time or day through rescheduling. It's a lot easier than having a press conference explaining why they kept the school open during a typhoon if there happened to be crazy flooding or debris that hits the kids on the way to school.
I admit forecasting seems more like fortune telling at times though.

If only this over preparedness was implemented with nuclear power plants and coastal zoning.

Ayumi

みんな無事?台風一過で空が澄みきってる@東京
台風たいしたことなかったです。台風は夜中に通り過ぎたみたいでー!めっちゃ晴れてるけどね。

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The weather in Tokyo today is PERFECT. A bit windy, not too hot, the sun is shining.
I was planning on spending my whole lunch break playing MH4G, but I've decided to take a long walk instead.

Mik2121

The weather in Tokyo today is PERFECT. A bit windy, not too hot, the sun is shining.
I was planning on spending my whole lunch break playing MH4G, but I've decided to take a long walk instead.

Same in Osaka. Sorta windy but still sunny and nice overall. Hopefully it stays like that the whole day.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Just in case it really does get bad is my guess. They can make up that lost time or day through rescheduling. It's a lot easier than having a press conference explaining why they kept the school open during a typhoon if there happened to be crazy flooding or debris that hits the kids on the way to school.
I admit forecasting seems more like fortune telling at times though.

If only this over preparedness was implemented with nuclear power plants and coastal zoning.

This is grad school, let them suffer!

Top Bottom