• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Mik2121

I think he posted once, in the beginning.

I find there are less of those kind of people in the Kansai area. I can't think of any I met while living there, anyway. I've met a couple in Tokyo though. Completely anecdotal though.
Yeah, there's all kinds of people anywhere, so it's probably for the best not to generalize. You guys in Tokyo got lots of cool people too!

You guys need to get out of my Japan.

Domo.
Sometimes this country annoys me so much I feel like leaving, lol. Not really, but still annoying.... today I had to go to pick up my renewed spouse visa. Last year when my 3 years business visa expired I had the option to renew it or change it to the spouse visa. I thought why not? I got a 1 year visa and assumed it was because I had changed the type of visa, ok... today when I picked my new visa, even though I applied for the 5 years one (expecting to get the 3 years one), I ended up with the 1 year visa a-fucking-gain.
I never get angry or pissed off but when I saw that I actually told the woman who gave it to me that if they so desperately wanted their foreigners' money, I would rather pay 3 times the visa and not have to come to this fucking place in the middle of nowhere (people in the Kansai area knows this) every goddamn year. I didn't add the actual insults, but otherwise it's pretty much what I told them.

Fucking country making me spend my few paid days on this kind of bullshit...

Otherwise I generally enjoy this country though :p (and my work, which is pretty much the only reason why I'm still here and not moving with my wife somewhere else).

Edit: Well, that ended up being a longer post that I expected. I needed to say this shit to someone because it's so annoying. Sorry guys!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I always got the longest visa duration renewals. They also let me skip watching the dumb videos for my license renewals. I'm gangsta like dat.

Sakura

Allright my fellow japan livers: here's a phenomenon I've noticed lately and curious if it's just me:

The "don't invade my token Gaijin turf" fellow Gaijin.

You make them less unique, thus they don't want to deal with you.

I've met three of them in the past month so: These people have either lived in Japan or visit Japan very often, Japanese is very good, can be found at sub-culture events. Don't really want to converse with you(Even today I overheard the guy telling Japanese fokls that he doesn't like being around Gaijin because he likes to be unique...) Generally I find these people to be extremely talkative types(aka most of the conversation is about themselves) etc.

I'm I just socially inadequate in dealing with my fellow foreigners, or do these people really exist?

I dunno about the 'my turf' side of that, after all there are a lot of foreigners in the cities, I see some like every day.
I can understand the not wanting to interact with gaijin bit though. If you come to Japan, to make Japanese friends speak Japanese experience life in Japan etc, but instead you keep getting fellow foreigners who try to approach you, then I can get the whole 'I'm not looking for foreign friends' attitude.
Several weeks ago I was riding the train minding my own business, when a white guy sat down across from me. Suddenly he starts talking to me like 'Is it just me or does this train smell like piss!?' like come on man just let me do my own thing...

I dunno about the 'my turf' side of that, after all there are a lot of foreigners in the cities, I see some like every day.
I can understand the not wanting to interact with gaijin bit though. If you come to Japan, to make Japanese friends speak Japanese experience life in Japan etc, but instead you keep getting fellow foreigners who try to approach you, then I can get the whole 'I'm not looking for foreign friends' attitude.
Several weeks ago I was riding the train minding my own business, when a white guy sat down across from me. Suddenly he starts talking to me like 'Is it just me or does this train smell like piss!?' like come on man just let me do my own thing...

I don't mean people that don't go to foreign hang-outs. I don't do this: if I wanted to hang around with British Americans etc I would go to that country.

I mean when you go to a live show or an event that is very social(small under 25 people) or such and there is a lone foreign male already apart of that community, who doesn't even want to speak to you in Japanese, and gives you the evil eye for being there.

It's a weird social situation as do I join in this person's group discussions when he obviously doesn't want me here or do I just leave?

Sakura

It's a weird social situation as do I join in this person's group discussions when he obviously doesn't want me here or do I just leave?

You don't have to leave, can't you just talk to the other Japanese people if he doesn't want to talk to you? Unless he is monopolising everyone there with his gaijin majick.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Videos? I never had to watch one of those.

I tried to get 5 years when I just renewed, but they gave me three. ::shrug::

The prefecture my license is based in has like a 2 hour safety video session included with the renewal. They know I'm too important for that. (gold license baby)

Mik2121

I always got the longest visa duration renewals. They also let me skip watching the dumb videos for my license renewals. I'm gangsta like dat.

Dang. I got the 3 years business (used to have student visa before) and my next visa was meant to be a 5 years one, but because I changed to the spouse I got reset to 1 year. This time I should have gotten the 3 years one (and then the 5, afaik) but they said something had changed on my documents and it got reset to 1. I assume it's because I changed job, but still... ugh..
After being in this country for about 9 years, getting a 1 year visa is kinda insulting, lol.

And yeah, video? We have nothing like that here!

Ayumi

Dang. I got the 3 years business (used to have student visa before) and my next visa was meant to be a 5 years one, but because I changed to the spouse I got reset to 1 year. This time I should have gotten the 3 years one (and then the 5, afaik) but they said something had changed on my documents and it got reset to 1. I assume it's because I changed job, but still... ugh..
After being in this country for about 9 years, getting a 1 year visa is kinda insulting, lol.

And yeah, video? We have nothing like that here!
I think after 10 years of continously living here you can apply for Permanent Residency?

Aizo

Banned
Totally exist. They even exist in other countries. When I was going to my university, there was this group of people who always seemed to want to collect all the Japanese people, and make them exclusively hang out with that group. It was pretty awkward when I was with a group of my Japanese friends who were just visiting for a couple weeks, and they spotted them. I knew the people in this group, and they were friendly enough to me, but they invited all my Japanese friends out while completely avoiding conversation with me. Didn't upset me, but I sure thought it was creepy.

I didn't hang out with many foreigners in Japan, quite honestly—not that I would actively not make friends with foreigners just because they're not Japanese. I just wanted to work on my language skill.

DiresuDR

You can read my posts in the Japan Travel OT; I went to Osaka during Golden Week this year.

RE: OT title change...if you change my glorious OT title, I'll fight you all! :p

Thanks, I will check it out, and sorry, I saw the title of the thread but saw a number of posts talking about travel, vacation, etc so I figured I could ask.

In my defense, I am moving to Tokyo in April 2015, does that count? Hah.

The "don't invade my token Gaijin turf" fellow Gaijin.

Its not a phenomenon, happens every where, even on vacations. No clue why exactly, but people tend to have that "I don't want to see "you" aka someone like me here." Dunno why but it happens a lot. You are either one of those people full time and jerk or randomly and seem like a douche in that single moment.

Try to aim for the later lol.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Its not a phenomenon, happens every where, even on vacations. No clue why exactly, but people tend to have that "I don't want to see "you" aka someone like me here." Dunno why but it happens a lot. You are either one of those people full time and jerk or randomly and seem like a douche in that single moment.

Try to aim for the later lol.

I avoid international parties.

But I hang out with anyone, I don't care if they are Japnese, Indian or Spanish.

I hang out with People.

Zornica

Banned
What if in actually a robot? Will I have no friends?!

I'm sure the guy from odaiba would love to be your friend.

I know this isn't the travel gaf thread... but technically I'm not travelling. I just don't know how to spend the rest of my weekend yet... (sunday). I think I've been to most major sights (in and around tokyo) already and I'm kinda sick of shopping. any ideas?

Jintor

Usj is running a zombie apollcolypse every night for Halloween. It's pretty awesome. The zombies themselves are kind of lame but the atmosphere is amazing. Theme park crowd are ready to allow themselves to be scared, is kind of cool

Aizo

Banned
Next meetup at that robot restaurant then.
It's so expensive!
I pass by every week on my way to my favorite metal bar
Oh, man. I think I know the Metal bar you're talking about. I went there with a group of German guys one night. So much Rammstein was played, and so was that one Jägermeister song.
Usj is running a zombie apollcolypse every night for Halloween. It's pretty awesome. The zombies themselves are kind of lame but the atmosphere is amazing. Theme park crowd are ready to allow themselves to be scared, is kind of cool
That sounds so fun, but ever since they got that Harry Potter ride, they have 3-4 hour lines.. Even worse for halloween events, I'm sure.

Gromph

Staff Member
It's so expensive!

Oh, man. I think I know the Metal bar you're talking about. I went there with a group of German guys one night. So much Rammstein was played, and so was that one Jägermeister song.

That sounds so fun, but ever since they got that Harry Potter ride, they have 3-4 hour lines.. Even worse for halloween events, I'm sure.

The one i'm talking is GODZ :) There is another one nearby too (20m) PSY.

Jintor

It's so expensive!

Yeah it was pretty bad. Even Spiderman and Back To The Future had like 1-2 hour wait times. Nevermind the full Harry Potter experience (we did get into Hogsmeade though)

The apocolypse was fantastic though. They replaced all the shitty Halloween music that had been blaring through the day with sporadic gunfire and what I swear was the Resident Evi- I mean, Biohazard BGM. Zombies just lurching around shaking chainsaws at punters. SWAT teams and biohazard suit people all over the place. It was rad as shit.

Aizo

Banned
That sounds incredibly fun. I will go there... one day. Is it open all year? Go in the dead of Winter for short lines.

megabadd

I'm thinking of changing neighborhoods soon. Anyone have any opinions on the Azabu-juban area vs. the Akasaka area? I've hung out in both, and they are both very nice, but wondering if people have any ideas.

Ayumi

I'm thinking of changing neighborhoods soon. Anyone have any opinions on the Azabu-juban area vs. the Akasaka area? I've hung out in both, and they are both very nice, but wondering if people have any ideas.
If you like both, then just choose whatever you prefer with regards to the hotels you find? Also check which train lines you need to wherever you're gonna visit/hang out the most.

--

@Anyone:

Just got reminded in the travel thread to suggest "Natural Azabu" for foreign food/items. They have proper salsa dip and weird food from weird countries! Yum~

Gromph

Staff Member

Living or just visiting Japan?

Gromph

Staff Member
Oops, I should have specified that I live here. Moving from Ebisu.

Well, then it depends on your personal choices, for me i prefer more residential areas.

I work in Aksasaka and i don't like this area to live in.

urfe

Expensive areas! Nice.

Was drinking in Akasaka on Friday, nice area, but even if I was single I'd still prob prefer a more residential area.

megabadd

I found a couple places I like in the Akasaka/Akasaka-mitsuke and in Juban area. I've heard that Akasaka is dead on the weekends when people aren't working. I love my place in Ebisu, but it's a little expensive and I mainly want a place where I can walk to work (Kamiyacho), so either works I guess.

I'm going to start looking at units this week, so I'll check out the neighbourhoods closely.

Zornica

Banned

I used to live and work near azabu juban for a few months last year (lived in moto azabu to be exact) and it's still one of my favourite neighbourhoods in tokyo. Manly because there are so many great restaurants and supermarkets around. If I had the chance to move back there, I'd do it - well, if the rent wasn't so high.

Can't tell you much about akasaka

Aizo

Banned

I have a friend that lives under a staircase in Azabu-Jūban. He likes it well enough.

megabadd

Many thanks for the help guys.

Most of my friends live in the Akasaka area, but Juban seems more my speed. It'll really just come down to the viewings then.

Zornica

Banned
Sooooo about having our little get together Friday the 14-- shall we do the place urfe recommended?

If you guys want, I can handle the reservations. If you want to go just send me a PM.

I'd prefer another place to be honest... not because of the location or anything, but I'm kinda worried about the food. I don't react very well to certain kinds of fat, so anything containing meat is off the table, pretty much... (same goes for fish, but to a lesser extend)
and from what I could tell, every main dish either contains beef or some kind of fish -_-
if there was an option for something like vegetable tempura or zaru soba/udon I'd be satisfied.

sorry to be such a bother

I'd prefer another place to be honest... not because of the location or anything, but I'm kinda worried about the food. I don't react very well to certain kinds of fat, so anything containing meat is off the table, pretty much... (same goes for fish, but to a lesser extend)
and from what I could tell, every main dish either contains beef or some kind of fish -_-
if there was an option for something like vegetable tempura or zaru soba/udon I'd be satisfied.

No problem, I don't mind trying somewhere else. Any place in mind?

Zornica

Banned
No problem, I don't mind trying somewhere else. Any place in mind?

well, not exactly. I'm not that familiar with night-time dinning around tokyo. the only fancy place I've ever been to was the Gonpatchi in nishi azabu
http://www.gonpachi.jp/nishiazabu/

but that's waayy more expensive, so it's probably not an option. Also the food was just ok.

I'll search for 飲み放題付コース on google, maybe something interesting pops up?

megabadd

My go-to for big groups who want to get soused on a budget is usually Chinese Cafe 8 (http://www.cceight.com/). Their food menu is extensive, really good, and fairly authentic Sichuan (they use numbing peppers!). They have locations in Akasaka, Shinjuku, Roppongi and Ebisu. I think the Ebisu location is the best, but I might be a little biased as I can see it from my apartment.

Oh, and they have nomihoudai, of course.

Jintor

Does anyone know where I can get, like, breakfast bars and/or big packs of Mintia mints? My supplies are running low and I'm not a fan of getting single packs at Lawsons or whatever. MaxValue? Aeon? (I guess they're the same thing...)

urfe

do you mean a vegetarian place? Honestly, I don't think there's too many of those. I went to a vegan raw food place last weekend, but it wasn't a drinking place.

Anywhere with nomikai would be the best, don't you think?
I agree :), but I want to choose a place where everyone can eat and be merry.
My go-to for big groups who want to get soused on a budget is usually Chinese Cafe 8 (http://www.cceight.com/). Their food menu is extensive, really good, and fairly authentic Sichuan (they use numbing peppers!). They have locations in Akasaka, Shinjuku, Roppongi and Ebisu. I think the Ebisu location is the best, but I might be a little biased as I can see it from my apartment.

Oh, and they have nomihoudai, of course.
Looks good to me! I can't find the nomihodai price on the website. You don't happen to know, do you?

Top Bottom