• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

I want to travel to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima but I don't know any Japanese (other than the obvious phrases like thank you, nice to meet you, etc etc), will I be able to move around? Check-in hotels? order food? get into trains? Or do you guys think it would be better to take a tour? I wish I didn't but if it's the only choice...

I've been to all those places without knowing any Japanese and it went fine. No need to take a tour.

Oh, it was a the free stage on the idol festival, so it was like 20-30 minutes concerts and then a new band would come.

The "Smile Garden" stage on 8/2 in here.

I'd say that for a festival, 2 hours would be the very most you should expect, probably closer to hour and half.
Yeah, I'm thinking worse come to worse I could always book a hotel for the night in Nagoya, leave at 7 and catch the Train back to Tokyo and head straight to the Ghibli Museum from there.

Hmm, yeah. That doesn't bode well for general tickets then. Decisions...

My advice is to buy the cheapest ticket possible and go earlier in the day. Everyone who shells out the big money for the ringside seats won't actually show up until the later matches with the highest ranked wrestlers. While the rich people are absent you should be able to sit in their seats.

Yeah tickets for the Nagoya show I would be able to go to, go on sale in a few weeks so will keep an eye on things.

How long was the show of theirs you saw by the way? It says the show starts at 19:30 so hopefully it'll be over in 2 hours and give me enough time to get back to Tokyo before last train.

I saw BabyMetal in Montreal so I can't say what their Japanese shows are like. In my experience, BabyMetal's fanbase is closer to metal than anything.

Also, when I saw them, their set was only a half hour. If they're headlining, it really depends on whether or not they have openers. They definitely won't play for more than an hour but if they have openers you probably won't be able to get out of there in under 2 hours. When I saw Kyary, it was just her and the show only lasted one hour.

My advice is to buy the cheapest ticket possible and go earlier in the day. Everyone who shells out the big money for the ringside seats won't actually show up until the later matches with the highest ranked wrestlers. While the rich people are absent you should be able to sit in their seats.

Thanks. May try and get there early morning, grab a ticket and either watch some stuff there and then, or just leave, do some other stuff, then come back (since they allow re-entry once). I'm not too concerned about where I sit. I just want the cheapest, General ticket, heh.

ccbfan

The wife and I are trying to book a Ryokan for a night during our trip to Japan in the Kansai region near Kyoto and Osaka.

We're trying to get the whole package (Breakfast, Dinner, hot springs)

We looking to spend about 50,000 to 100,000 yen for the both of us.

Right now we're narrowing it down to

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...tei_Maruyama-Kobe_Hyogo_Prefecture_Kinki.html

or

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...Hotel_Kinzan-Kobe_Hyogo_Prefecture_Kinki.html

Anyone have had experiences with these or have other suggestions that might be better.

inafking

The wife and I are trying to book a Ryokan for a night during our trip to Japan in the Kansai region near Kyoto and Osaka.

We're trying to get the whole package (Breakfast, Dinner, hot springs)

We looking to spend about 50,000 to 100,000 yen for the both of us.

Right now we're narrowing it down to

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...tei_Maruyama-Kobe_Hyogo_Prefecture_Kinki.html

or

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...Hotel_Kinzan-Kobe_Hyogo_Prefecture_Kinki.html

Anyone have had experiences with these or have other suggestions that might be better.

When are you staying there? Sorry, I didn't notice the links already had the dates written on it.
EDIT: I've only found this hotel which charges about 20000 yen per night with breakfast included and onsen (hot spring bath) but it doensn't mention anything about dinner.

Ryokan Kaigetsukan

It's cheaper if you don't include breakfast (about 16909 yens per night)

I suppose you're talking about max 100000 yen for the whole stay (8 days) and not the price for a single night, aren't you?

On a different note, any of you guys know places where I can buy a taiyaki pan? I've searched for たい焼き器 in tokyu-hands and labi but to no avail. I know there are sites like rakuten, kakaku.com and japanese ebay but I'd prefer to buy the pan in person to see if it's too big or small.

Hugs!

ccbfan

I suppose you're talking about max 100000 yen for the whole stay (8 days) and not the price for a single night, aren't you?

I meant one night.

That sound like a lot but if you get the full package (Gourmet breakfast, Kobe Beef dinner) that's like 88,000 yen for 2 people. Which isn't bad considering the current exchange rate.

88,000/124 = $710

Kobe beef dinner you expect to spend about 150 to 200 per person anyways (Check out those pictures its amazing, its a lot more than just Kobe beef). So that's 300 to 400.

Gourmet breakfast, probably 20 a person so 40.

At the end you're spending 270 to 370 for a nice hotel with nice private hot spring amenities.

On a different note, any of you guys know places where I can buy a taiyaki pan? I've searched for たい焼き器 in tokyu-hands and labi but to no avail. I know there are sites like rakuten, kakaku.com and japanese ebay but I'd prefer to buy the pan in person to see if it's too big or small.

Hugs!

Are you in Japan? I'd just take a trip to Asakusa and poke around Kappabashi.

inafking

Are you in Japan? I'd just take a trip to Asakusa and poke around Kappabashi.

Nope, I'm still at my hometown.

Where's kappabashi? It's not the nakamise dori that's after crossing the Kaminarimon gate, is it?

Nevermind, I've already found out. It's close to Tawaramachi station.

I hope the prices are reasonable.

Millions of hugs and as thanks a ton buddy! (^_-)

inafking

I don't know if any of you guys know how to arrange a visit to any big video game companies like Capcom, Nintendo, Square-Enix, Konami and such.

From what I've researched, there's no link mentioning a tour to their facilities (like the one that has Toyota in Aichi, I know it has nothing to do with gaming but it's a big company anyways).

I've seen these, but they seem to be through an invitation which of course I lack
Capcom
https://bootofjustice.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/lets-visit-capcom-hq/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY1BXXK0c3c

Square-Enix (the guy just seemed to pass by and visited it with the company of a game designer)
http://www.travelthewholeworld.com/traveling-japan/

I guess if it's not for a business meeting there'd be no way to visit those HQ, even more if they don't even have guided tours.

I hope anyone has an idea how to do this. Last time my best try was to stare at the Konami entrance from outside wearing a T-shirt and bermuda shorts so there was a huge contrast with people going in and out there with suits and no way I'd get in there :p.

StMeph

JapanTravel-GAF has been immensely helpful in planning my trip, so I'd like to do a post-mortem later that includes the original/planned itinerary and the final/real itinerary including all of the things that had to be cut or changed.

There's still a bunch of things that I wanted to do, so that will eventually necessitate a second trip at some point, now with some lessons learned.

I hope the prices are reasonable.

Millions of hugs and as thanks a ton buddy! (^_-)

No problem! They have a lot of cool stuff there as they sell equipment for other cafes and restaurants. I know one of my friends picked up a ramen banner in one of the shops there, which currently hangs on his microphone stand.

JapanTravel-GAF has been immensely helpful in planning my trip, so I'd like to do a post-mortem later that includes the original/planned itinerary and the final/real itinerary including all of the things that had to be cut or changed.

There's still a bunch of things that I wanted to do, so that will eventually necessitate a second trip at some point, now with some lessons learned.

Sounds great :) Would love to hear if you found any places that weren't on your plan that took you by surprise :)

Nice. And there's a reason why the thread title is what it is ;P

I hope anyone has an idea how to do this. Last time my best try was to stare at the Konami entrance from outside wearing a T-shirt and bermuda shorts so there was a huge contrast with people going in and out there with suits and no way I'd get in there :p.

Probably have better luck going to like a Konami health club and asking if any of the janitors/cleaning crew had worked on games in the past.

daegan

After I got work to sign off on my vacation, my wife and I finally booked our flights - they were as low as $750 this morning; we ended up booking for close to $1100 but we also spend 6 hours less traveling so...

So excited but I always feel this weird nervousness/almost guilt? whenever we do something like this but HEY. Now for the fun of locking up places to stay and planning out where we're going (thank goodness I've had this thread subscribed for years!)

KillGore

So I'll be going for 13 days and just noticed that Japan has way too many things to do and won't be able to go everywhere I wanted. Which is fine (but disappointing), so out of experience, which places are the least interesting? Maybe I can visit them next time. I wanted to go to:

1. Tokyo
2. Kyoto
3. Osaka
4. Nara
5. Yokohama
6. Hiroshima
7. Nagoya
8. Fuji Five Lakes

I know, too much, but I could only take two weeks off from work and now I need you guys to help me decide? Obviously eliminating Tokyo from the list is a big no no lol

hwalker84

So I'll be going for 13 days and just noticed that Japan has way too many things to do and won't be able to go everywhere I wanted. Which is fine (but disappointing), so out of experience, which places are the least interesting? Maybe I can visit them next time. I wanted to go to:

1. Tokyo
2. Kyoto
3. Osaka
4. Nara
5. Yokohama
6. Hiroshima
7. Nagoya
8. Fuji Five Lakes

I know, too much, but I could only take two weeks off from work and now I need you guys to help me decide? Obviously eliminating Tokyo from the list is a big no no lol
I'd eliminate Hiroshima, Nagoya, and Fuji Five lakes.

Probably have better luck going to like a Konami health club and asking if any of the janitors/cleaning crew had worked on games in the past.

Dayum.

Back from my trip to Japan, and all I can say is... wow!

I let my partner do all the heavy lifting/planning (and he used this thread quite a bit). I sort of just winged it, though the tip about Hyperdia from here was very useful!

Thank you everyone here. I know that y'all made my trip wonderful by doing all the work, haha. My first real adult vacation and <333.

(I actually had a lot of fun doing the touristy things, like Jiro's son's sushi, and the deer in Nara, and Miyajima, and FF cafe, and capsule hotels~

and the food. Especially the A5 wagyu meats. Oh. My. Fucking. God. kjhsdkhgsdgh.)

Did you go to that rabbit island then?

1. Tokyo
2. Kyoto
3. Osaka
4. Nara
5. Yokohama
6. Hiroshima
7. Nagoya
8. Fuji Five Lakes

If you're going mostly for the deer, then you could possibly skip Nara and go to Miyajima at the same time as when in Hiroshima instead since there's deer there too.

1. Tokyo
2. Kyoto
3. Osaka
4. Nara
5. Yokohama
6. Hiroshima
7. Nagoya
8. Fuji Five Lakes

I'd eliminate Kyoto, but I'd already done a whole bunch of shrines when I went and just wasn't feeling it. Definitely urge you to go to Hiroshima though, it's a stunning place.

We did! But, it was super hot so a lot of the rabbit were really listless. Also, the bunnies were very timid (especially compared to the deer!)

Cool.

I'd eliminate Kyoto, but I'd already done a whole bunch of shrines when I went and just wasn't feeling it. Definitely urge you to go to Hiroshima though, it's a stunning place.

Fushimi Inari and Kinkakuji are nice though, and Kiyomizudera is still good. There's also the Gion district for looking at all the old houses.

Osaka-Kyoto and Tokyo-Yokohama is so close to each-other that one could plan to visit places there if there's extra time as well, if one actually decide to cut those.

Stuart444

www.epochconverter.com/date-and-time/weeknumbers-by-year.php?year=2016

Week 13: Mar. 28, 2016 - Apr. 3, 2016
Week 14: Apr. 4, 2016 - Apr. 10, 2016

I hope this is still relevant XD :D.

Anyway both mine and my partner's passports are in printing which means that's one less worry down and we can start actually planning our trip so question time!

1. Airbnb: Generally a good choice? Want to make our accommodations as cheap as possible without going for something like Capsule hotel (looked at some pictures and look too... claustrophobic for me?

2. We're currently looking at where we want to visit and then working on the finer details from there so how does this look:

Tokyo & Kyoto will be our main base of operations :D from there we will branch out and do day trips to places that are close by/reasonably close to get to (so say 1 - 2 hour each way would be fine with me. It's similar to when I go into the city from where I live haha)

So areas we want to go to:

Odaiba
Yokohama

Osaka
Nara

Does this sound good and does anyone have any additions that we might want to look into? (I hear Sendai is reasonable from Tokyo but not sure what is there if we had time to go to it XD)

Our plan as well would be leaving from Scotland on Sunday, 27th of March (most likely via KLM because besides emirates (which have some insane travel times/layover times), they are cheaper than most others, around £1500-ish for two adults) and arriving in Tokyo, Narita early Monday Morning.

Spending the first 4 - 6 days in Tokyo, then head to Kyoto, and be back with 1 or 2 days to spare in Tokyo for last minute shopping or looking at places we've already seen one last time before heading home on the 11th of April.

This would be our first trip abroad/away from the UK together (as evident by not having any passports til now XD) and I want to make sure it goes right.

1. Airbnb: Generally a good choice? Want to make our accommodations as cheap as possible without going for something like Capsule hotel (looked at some pictures and look too... claustrophobic for me?

2. We're currently looking at where we want to visit and then working on the finer details from there so how does this look:

Tokyo & Kyoto will be our main base of operations :D from there we will branch out and do day trips to places that are close by/reasonably close to get to (so say 1 - 2 hour each way would be fine with me. It's similar to when I go into the city from where I live haha)

Does this sound good and does anyone have any additions that we might want to look into? (I hear Sendai is reasonable from Tokyo but not sure what is there if we had time to go to it XD)

1. AirBnB can be good. A lot of hostels (with private double rooms) or business hotels can actually be cheaper than doing AirBnB though. Check hostelworld and some hotel search engines.

2. Seems good. If you got a JR Pass for your Kyoto stay then you could check out Hiroshima if you got time as well.

Stuart444

1. AirBnB can be good. A lot of hostels (with private double rooms) or business hotels can actually be cheaper than doing AirBnB though. Check hostelworld and some hotel search engines.

2. Seems good. If you got a JR Pass for your Kyoto stay then you could check out Hiroshima if you got time as well.

Yeah, getting the JR Pass though I'm not sure if we'll go with the 7 or 14 day one. Depends on when we're leaving Tokyo and when we're coming back to Tokyo I guess? Like I said, need to sort out the finer details.

Is Hiroshima a good place to dedicate a day to? I see people recommend it here but just thought I'd ask haha.

Yeah, getting the JR Pass though I'm not sure if we'll go with the 7 or 14 day one. Depends on when we're leaving Tokyo and when we're coming back to Tokyo I guess? Like I said, need to sort out the finer details.

Is Hiroshima a good place to dedicate a day to? I see people recommend it here but just thought I'd ask haha.

Yeah, only get one that covers the Kyoto/Osaka/etc part of your trip. No need for it to cover the Tokyo/Odaiba/Yokohama part.

You can check out Miyajima with the red torii gate and shrine in the water, and there's also deer there, so you might be able to skip Nara if that's all you were going to see there. And there's the peace memorial park and museum in Hiroshima itself about the atomic bombing.

Stuart444

Yeah, only get one that covers the Kyoto/Osaka/etc part of your trip. No need for it to cover the Tokyo/Odaiba/Yokohama part.

You can check out Miyajima with the red torii gate and shrine in the water, and there's also deer there, so you might be able to skip Nara if that's all you were going to see there. And there's the peace memorial park and museum in Hiroshima itself about the atomic bombing.

Shrine in the water.... you have my interest XD.

Not sure about Nara, deer is a big part of it but I'd need to research more. I'm just trying to lock down dates and stuff so I can find out how much it will cost me roughly/book it. (one place for Tokyo, one for Kyoto and one back in Tokyo XD)

Any pics of the Shrine in the water thing? >.>

Shrine in the water.... you have my interest XD.

Not sure about Nara, deer is a big part of it but I'd need to research more. I'm just trying to lock down dates and stuff so I can find out how much it will cost me roughly/book it. (one place for Tokyo, one for Kyoto and one back in Tokyo XD)

Any pics of the Shrine in the water thing? >.>

My pics:
IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

Or just google Itsukushima Shrine for more ;P

Oh, and it's only in the water at high tide, I see backslashbunny was there at low tide.

How long is it recommended to stay in Miyajima? It's my first time there and I was thinking of making it a day trip at first, but I'm leaning towards staying for 1 night now.

How long is it recommended to stay in Miyajima? It's my first time there and I was thinking of making it a day trip at first, but I'm leaning towards staying for 1 night now.

I'd recommend staying overnight. Most tourists do day trips so you'll have the island mostly to yourself once the last ferry departs. My wife and I found that out on our honeymoon back in 2006. Really cool experience.

Nara is awesome. I was so excited playing with and feeding the deer that I lost my phone there one year.

Just arrive before 2pm so you can enjoy all the grilled oysters~

Wait, what? Where is this?

I'd recommend staying overnight. Most tourists do day trips so you'll have the island mostly to yourself once the last ferry departs. My wife and I found that out on our honeymoon back in 2006. Really cool experience.

Any recommendations where to stay?

Stuart444

Just to check, is Expedia a good/reliable site for booking hotels and such?

We'll be booking our flight direct from the airline website so no need to worry about that but I'm comparing options for hotels/airbnbs/hostels/etc and Expedia is one website I was looking at after seeing it linked in the op.

inafking

We'll be booking our flight direct from the airline website so no need to worry about that but I'm comparing options for hotels/airbnbs/hostels/etc and Expedia is one website I was looking at after seeing it linked in the op.

I'd like to know this too since I've booked one of my hotels through expedia. It's one of those sites that charge you as soon as you push the button to "secure your booking". Agoda.com also does this.

Booking.com only asks for your credit card number and info just to ensure you're actually gonna stay at the hotel (I guess it's to charge if you cancel your reservation too late). I've used this site succesfully in the past (a year ago). You don't get charged anything until you arrive at the hotel.

Stuart444

I'd like to know this too since I've booked one of my hotels through expedia. It's one of those sites that charge you as soon as you push the button to "secure your booking". Agoda.com also does this.

Booking.com only asks for your credit card number and info just to ensure you're actually gonna stay at the hotel (I guess it's to charge if you cancel your reservation too late). I've used this site succesfully in the past (a year ago). You don't get charged anything until you arrive at the hotel.

I prefer when I can pay asap personally. That way I don't need to worry about having the money later on since I sometimes spend more money than I expect (impulse buys and such).

It's prepay or get the money out and put it aside until it's time to pay lol.

I've booked both a flight and a hotel through Expedia and it went fine. Booked 2 hotels for my upcoming trip through Expedia as well.

flonty

I did it!
I'm flying on 31st august and will stay in tokyo till 8th september :)
Booked the hotel through booking.com and will be near Ueno.

So excited now I'm gonna plan the week.

hwalker84

I wouldn't. I'd maybe skip Yokohama. Wasn't too impressed with it and Chinatown was...ok.

I was thinking more of distance and closeness. Tokyo and Yokohama are close. You could use Tokyo as the home base. Kyoto, Nara, and Osaka are all close so pick you home base. Hiroshima is pretty much off on it's own. I do recommend it and Miyajima though if you can fit it. Two weeks isn't much time.

Hey what are peoples experience in getting through Haneda Airport at night? I get in at 10:30pm, should I expect an hour plus to get through or should I be fine for getting through it fairly quickly so I can catch the Limousine Bus before it ends for the night.

With the exception of my hotel in Tokyo, all my hotels for the trip are booked through Expedia for me (Nagoya, Osaka, Singapore and Bali hotels), I've used them in the past and never had a problem.

Best place for comparing prices though is either through Tripadvisor or Hotelscombined, only issue I can see with those is they do link to some more shadier sites, but they still have the big reliable sites like Expedia & Agoda listed on there so it works well for being able to check them pricewise.

KillGore

Soo, any reason why hotels in Kyoto are more expensive than Tokyo? Would've though it be the opposite.

I'm going at the end of november, early december

Theodran

Soo, any reason why hotels in Kyoto are more expensive than Tokyo? Would've though it be the opposite.

I'm going at the end of november, early december

It may have something to do with the number of hotels in proportion with the number of visitors, but that's just a guess. If you cannot find a reasonably priced hotel in Kyoto, a hotel in Osaka might be something worth looking into, as Kyoto is only 40 minutes train ride down from Osaka Station.

KillGore

It may have something to do with the number of hotels in proportion with the number of visitors, but that's just a guess. If you cannot find a reasonably priced hotel in Kyoto, a hotel in Osaka might be something worth looking into, as Kyoto is only 40 minutes train ride down from Osaka Station.

Hmm, that may be a very good idea. Thank you.

BTW, if I buy a JR Pass, how do I know which trains I can board? I haven't done a lot of research on it. Is there a list? a detailed map? Are they identified in some way? The JR Pass isn't for shinkansen trains only, right? I can travel around tokyo for example with them?

Theodran

Hmm, that may be a very good idea. Thank you.

BTW, if I buy a JR Pass, how do I know which trains I can board? I haven't done a lot of research on it. Is there a list? a detailed map? Are they identified in some way? The JR Pass isn't for shinkansen trains only, right? I can travel around tokyo for example with them?

Although I don't have experience with it myself, I assume you can ride any JR train with it. However, in terms of Shinkansen, you are not eligible for the Nozomi or Mizuho express trains that have the fewest stops on the way between Tokyo & Osaka and Osaka & Kagoshima. You have to pay extra to ride trains that are not run by JR or trains where JR uses non-JR lines. That includes all the city run subway systems in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka, for example, as well as the private railway companies (Keio, Seibu, Tokyu, Keihan, Hankyu, etc.)

More on eligibility here.

They are valid on all JR trains and buses, not just the shinkansen. Don't worry too much about what trains are good or not, so long as you know that the Nozumi and the Mizuho shinkansen services are not valid. If you tried to enter a non-JR train line with your pass, the guards wouldn't let you through, so the chances of messing up are quite slim.

Top Bottom