• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Resilient

I wouldn't bother with Akiba. On my last trip I cleaned up shop buying from Book Off locations wherever I found them, from Tokyo to Osaka.

Going Tokyo around TGS time.

Didn't do Fuji the first time I visited, so want to this time. Any good 1 day tours to go with? Nothing crazy, and definitely not up for climbing loads (friend is afraid of heights), but would be nice to check out something.

Planning to check out some Sumo, too.

Also, any good snacks to grab for a Muslim friendly diet? Seen there's been a decent amount of new halal (Japanese) restaurants since the last time, so will check those out in due course, but need some cheap snacks for those peckish moments/breakfast.

inafking

Going Tokyo around TGS time.
Planning to check out some Sumo, too.

If you're arriving in September you can buy tickets for the September Sumo Tournament which is held between Sept 13 and 27 (EDIT: The ticket sale starts from tomorrow. I think you can buy them from this page)

If you're arriving at other dates, you can also visit Sumo Practices in their stables (beya)

Kasugano Stable visit (the link inside is broken)
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+90096

Arashio Beya (you can only watch the practices outside by looking though the window)
http://www.arashio.net/tour_e.html

Dandte

Question regarding Manga/Anime Fanshops

I know in shibuya is the mugiwara store and in osaka the (biggest?) Pokemon center, but i can't find out if there is a pure fair tail store in Japan, and which one is "the shop to go" for manga anime goodies?

Actually, I should have asked is a tour even necessary or worthwhile? Or can one just wing it? I'm more of a wing it person.

Definitely wing it. It's a lot better that way.

I know in shibuya is the mugiwara store and in osaka the (biggest?) Pokemon center, but i can't find out if there is a pure fair tail store in Japan, and which one is "the shop to go" for manga anime goodies?

I'm not super into manga and anime goods but Animate in Ikebukuro was really good for manga. I'm not sure how much they have in the way of figures and such but their manga selection was great. Mandarake is also supposed to be pretty good although I only went to the one in Ikebukuro which turned out to be just yaoi stuff.

If you want to see as much as possible in as short time as possible, then either go to Nakano Broadway or Akihabara in Tokyo or Den Den Town in Osaka. And it's better to check out lots of different stores in those areas than just check one.

I'm not super into manga and anime goods but Animate in Ikebukuro was really good for manga. I'm not sure how much they have in the way of figures and such but their manga selection was great. Mandarake is also supposed to be pretty good although I only went to the one in Ikebukuro which turned out to be just yaoi stuff.

So, you checked out the store at Otome Road then, no wonder it were just yaoi stuff ;P

Dandte

Definitely wing it. It's a lot better that way.

If you want to see as much as possible in as short time as possible, then either go to Nakano Broadway or Akihabara in Tokyo or Den Den Town in Osaka. And it's better to check out lots of different stores in those areas than just check one.

So, you checked out the store at Otome Road then, no wonder it were just yaoi stuff ;P

We have more than enough time to check out everything. Will check ike and akihabara for different stuff, i just wondered if there is store which focusses completely on fairy tail, like the mugiwara stores on one piece or the pokemon center on pokemon.

i just wondered if there is store which focusses completely on fairy tail, like the mugiwara stores on one piece or the pokemon center on pokemon.

I don't think so, it's just not as popular as the big names from shonen jump to get its own store. I had a look to see if there were any fan-run restaurants, but can't find any of those either. You'll find plenty of merch if you did around Akihabara/Den Den Town, though.

As far as I can tell, dedicated shops to specific IPs are pretty rare unless the property is insanely popular (a la Kamen Rider, Pokemon, One Piece) or the shop is temporary.

You can book a visit to Toyota's plant if you're gonna spend time in Nagoya.

Close to Tokyo, you could also see Kawasaki Good Times museum. Too bad I spoiled myself by looking at Street View pictures (-‸ლ)

Uh...yeah...my bad. You can take trains from Osaka if you're staying there.

EDIT: I've heard that you can visit Mitsubishi headquarters in Tokyo, but IDK if they've any vehicles in exhibition

http://www.mitsubishicorp.com/jp/en/network/japan/tokyo.html

Thank you for the suggestions.

Right now I'm planning to visit the Nissan headquarters, and their heritage collection garage. I'm also planning to visit a few shops around Odaiba (and do the touristly spots like the Gundam statue).

Other then the two days I'm planning to spend at TAS, I'm open to anything really.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Right now I'm planning to visit the Nissan headquarters, and their heritage collection garage. I'm also planning to visit a few shops around Odaiba (and do the touristly spots like the Gundam statue).

Other then the two days I'm planning to spend at TAS, I'm open to anything really.

If you're already in Odaiba, then you should check out the Toyota Mega Web and the History Garage as well, if you didn't already have plans to do so.

You can test drive some Toyota cars there as well if you bring an international license and there's no special event going on.

If you're already in Odaiba, then you should check out the Toyota Mega Web and the History Garage as well, if you didn't already have plans to do so.

You can test drive some Toyota cars there as well if you bring an international license and there's no special event going on.

Oh that sounds fun! Hmm I'm going to have to add this to the list!

Cheers!

Not sure if it's of interest, but we very briefly walked past the Nissan gallery in Yokohama. Unfortunately didn't spend much time there to have an opinion on it, as we were passing through on our way to Enoshima :)

Thanks for posting that up for me. From what I've read and seen, it's awesome if they let you in their shop.

No JR Pass. Just sticking to Tokyo this time, so don't feel the need to spend so much extra on it.

Well, if you're going to Mt. Fuji and the fifth station proper, then you should get this train pass:
https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/fuji/

Costs 5600 JPY.

I see that the cheapest guided tour costs 7400 JPY though:
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/BUS1G001WA_/

The tour does the fifth station and some shrines and stuff in the area as well. Only 1800 JPY more each.

Reminds me that we'll definitely need to get into a maid café at some point. But I guess it will be easy to be reminded once in Akihabara.

Well, if you're going to Mt. Fuji and the fifth station proper, then you should get this train pass:

Costs 5600 JPY.

The tour does the fifth station and some shrines and stuff in the area as well. Only 1800 JPY more each.

I bough the Fuji train pass and it seems like a good deal. Just one thing to look out for, it covers Shinjuku to Otsuki to Kawaguchiko then the bus to the 5th Station. However, on the way back it covers the bus back to Kawaguchiko and then the train to Otsuki, but not the train back from Otsuki to Shinjuku.

Also, just curious, but I wonder if Japan/JR will every just support paying directly with Google Wallet/Apple Pay. Though Chicago's public transportation system isn't nearly as robust as Japan's, being able to just tap with Google Wallet to use the trains and buses. But I guess its a little different since Chicago you pay a flat fee when you get on and ride as long as you want, and Japan is variable based on when you get on and off.

I bough the Fuji train pass and it seems like a good deal. Just one thing to look out for, it covers Shinjuku to Otsuki to Kawaguchiko then the bus to the 5th Station. However, on the way back it covers the bus back to Kawaguchiko and then the train to Otsuki, but not the train back from Otsuki to Shinjuku.

It should cover that as long as you're within the 2 day period. It only allows you 1 round trip and not multiple rides though.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So I'm planning a 2 week vacation to Japan, for the first time, and I'll probably be going on my own. None of my friends were to excited at the notion. I've been doing my own research, but nothing better than asking experienced folks.

I'm kinda big into anime, manga, games, etc. so I will be wanting to visit One Piece Tower, Pokemon Colosseum, Akihabara, random Arcades, maid cafe's, etc. Even with all that, 2 weeks is kind of a while, so I want to check out a variety of places. Do you guys suggest staying at random hostels as I travel or set up a main base at a hotel of sorts in Tokyo and just branching out for single day adventures?

Any other tips and suggestions that you may have would be greatly appreciated. Budget is not infinite, but I will have thousands of dollars of spending money.

Zyzyxxz

So I wanna go to Hokkaido next year but just to do some mental pre-planning, anyone have tips for traveling there? (I speak pretty much no Japanese save for a few words and have been to Tokyo twice to give perspective)

Ideally I'd love to do a few days in Hokkaido and then fly over to Osaka and spend 1 week max there and fly back to the United States from there. (buying 3 one-way tickets)

But I can save a couple hundred dollars if I fly into Osaka then immediately fly into Hokkaido, return to Osaka and leave from there. (buying 2 roundtrip tickets). Just seems like a bit a back of forth though.

In terms of visiting Hokkaido is it generally recommend I rent a car? I dont plan on doing too much nature stuff although I do wanna see the beauty of the Hokkaido landscape my main focus is just food so I figure I'd be spending alot of time in Sapporo and Hakodate.

So I'm planning a 2 week vacation to Japan, for the first time, and I'll probably be going on my own. None of my friends were to excited at the notion. I've been doing my own research, but nothing better than asking experienced folks.

I'm kinda big into anime, manga, games, etc. so I will be wanting to visit One Piece Tower, Pokemon Colosseum, Akihabara, random Arcades, maid cafe's, etc. Even with all that, 2 weeks is kind of a while, so I want to check out a variety of places. Do you guys suggest staying at random hostels as I travel or set up a main base at a hotel of sorts in Tokyo and just branching out for single day adventures?

Any other tips and suggestions that you may have would be greatly appreciated. Budget is not infinite, but I will have thousands of dollars of spending money.

That's what I'm doing next April, but I managed to convince a friend to join. In 2001 I did a similar trip on my own in Kyoto and Osaka. This time, I will be doing some cultural stuff (checking out temples, watching some sports events just because, etc) and doing more social stuff, but mostly I'll be nerding around.

We've booked twelve regular hotel nights in Tokyo and the final two will be booked at a ryokan to get that sort of "more upscale" experience.

I expect to bring a mostly empty luggage and get a spare one for the return trip, but I'm going to be more cautious about just buying cheap stuff. Last time I bought a TON of Saturn games which stack up (literally) to be rather heavy, and a few full-size artbooks. Nowadays you can get most stuff online anyway, so I'll look for unique and/or retro items. Then, if I haven't found interesting things by the end of the trip, I'll get retail collectibles I would have eventually ordered, like TF Masterpieces and such.

As for location, Kyoto was very nice but rather low on game stuff to see. Osaka had plenty of that in Den Den Town, but the area itself was dull. We're staying in Tokyo since there will be enough to see for two weeks. Even dedicating a few days to each major area, we won't run out of things to do. We're not going to hurry around to check off landmarks.

Do you guys suggest staying at random hostels as I travel or set up a main base at a hotel of sorts in Tokyo and just branching out for single day adventures?

Depends on how far you're planning to go. If you're gonna check out Kyoto/Osaka, then you should book a hostel there.

So I wanna go to Hokkaido next year but just to do some mental pre-planning, anyone have tips for traveling there? (I speak pretty much no Japanese save for a few words and have been to Tokyo twice to give perspective)

Ideally I'd love to do a few days in Hokkaido and then fly over to Osaka and spend 1 week max there and fly back to the United States from there. (buying 3 one-way tickets)

But I can save a couple hundred dollars if I fly into Osaka then immediately fly into Hokkaido, return to Osaka and leave from there. (buying 2 roundtrip tickets). Just seems like a bit a back of forth though.

In terms of visiting Hokkaido is it generally recommend I rent a car? I dont plan on doing too much nature stuff although I do wanna see the beauty of the Hokkaido landscape my main focus is just food so I figure I'd be spending alot of time in Sapporo and Hakodate.

Well, I'm doing a round trip to Osaka and then taking another plane to Tokyo and I'm also going to Hokkaido in October, so I'll let you know how it goes then.

Costs 5600 JPY.

That was the one I was thinking of. For what is about £10 extra, it might be neat to just see the extras the tour includes.

In regards to sumo, can we just pop up to the venue and buy a ticket? Not too concerned about staying to view everything, just a match or two.

Blunoise

Hey so I'm planning a future RTW trip. My last stop will be in Japan for two weeks. Here is my itenirary:
Tokyo - 5 days
Kyoto - 4 days
Nara - 2 days
Osaka - 2 days

Now I have locations in each of these places but feel free to lend any ideas and sought after must see sights.

Hey so I'm planning a future RTW trip. My last stop will be in Japan for two weeks. Here is my itenirary:
Tokyo - 5 days
Kyoto - 4 days
Nara - 2 days
Osaka - 2 days

Now I have locations in each of these places but feel free to lend any ideas and sought after must see sights.

In Kyoto I went to Kinkakuji (the golden pavilion), Ryoanji (the famous stone garden) and Sanjuusangendo (the temple of 1000 Buddhas). Actually, Kinkakuji was a bit overrated. It's in a really beautiful park but the pavilion itself is rather dull - even though it's covered in hold. Ryoanji is nice and serene and the area is amazing, but more for the architecture unless you really want to sit down and contemplate. Sanjuusangendo was by far the most epic place, especially if you've read the stories about Musashi - he did one of his greatest battles in that exact place.

In Osaka, absolutely Den Den Town. And avoid Osaka Castle, it's a pointless modern museum inside a rebuilt shell. Go to the castle in Kyoto instead, I missed that one.

inafking

That was the one I was thinking of. For what is about £10 extra, it might be neat to just see the extras the tour includes.

In regards to sumo, can we just pop up to the venue and buy a ticket? Not too concerned about staying to view everything, just a match or two.

This is what I found about ticket sales at the venues:

At the following shops, the ticket is sold until the day of the match. (Extracted from the May Grand Tournament through google's cache):

Stores sales

・Kokugikan Box Office

Sales hour of the day ticket (While the Tournament is being held):8:00a.m.-5:00p.m.

Sales hour of advance ticket:10:00a.m.-4:00p.m.

・Other Stores

Ticket Pia stores / Seven-Eleven stores / Circle K Sunkus stores

So I guess the easiest way would be to buy at 7-eleven's. I guess there should be self-service kiosk there, but I don't know if they have an english menu.

This is what I found about ticket sales at the venues:

So I guess the easiest way would be to buy at 7-eleven's. I guess there should be self-service kiosk there, but I don't know if they have an english menu.

Looks like one can just rock up and buy a general admission ticket at the venue. Only 2200yen plus tax.

Just need to find out what days to do what.

Cedric

Would anyone know where I could purchase art from Yoshitaka Amano in Kyoto or Tokyo? I keep seeing posters for an exhibition in Hyogo, but I can't attend. I'd also be interested in purchasing the art book he made for Final Fantasy.

dani_dc

Last two weeks in Japan (unless some unexpected miracle happens) T_T

Considering using the last week to go to Okinawa and/or Iwate, mostly to visit friends I have in those places.

Gotta look for means of transportation for those.

That would amount for about 10 seconds! :p

Last two weeks in Japan (unless some unexpected miracle happens) T_T

Considering using the last week to go to Okinawa and/or Iwate, mostly to visit friends I have in those places.

Gotta look for means of transportation for those.

Need to take a plane to Okinawa. Check prices with Jetstar, Vanilla or Skymark I guess.

Just found out Babymetal are doing a show in Nagoya while I'm over there on the same day as I'm traveling out of Tokyo to Kyoto :eek:

Really tempted to get some tickets and check them out, has anyone had any experiences with going to stuff like that in Japan, does Babymetal at least attract an older crowd than alot of other Idol groups or would I be waist deep in teenage Japanese girls if I went?

Just found out Babymetal are doing a show in Nagoya while I'm over there on the same day as I'm traveling out of Tokyo to Kyoto :eek:

Really tempted to get some tickets and check them out, has anyone had any experiences with going to stuff like that in Japan, does Babymetal at least attract an older crowd than alot of other Idol groups or would I be waist deep in teenage Japanese girls if I went?

I saw them at Summer Sonic last year in Tokyo/Chiba and it seemed like a pretty normal crowd. I stayed near the back of the room because I didn't want get mixed up in the crowd and spill my beer. Might be a different time experience with a specific concert crowd versus a general music festival crowd. But it certainly wasn't just teenage girls. I mean, I'm not a big metal guy, but from what I understand theyre not looked down upon derisively in metal circles.

I saw them at Summer Sonic last year in Tokyo/Chiba and it seemed like a pretty normal crowd. I stayed near the back of the room because I didn't want get mixed up in the crowd and spill my beer. Might be a different time experience with a specific concert crowd versus a general music festival crowd. But it certainly wasn't just teenage girls. I mean, I'm not a big metal guy, but from what I understand theyre not looked down upon derisively in metal circles.
For all the hate and fear I've seen Metal get, they are one of the most open and understanding music culters out there.

Sod it, I'm going to Japan, I need to unleash the inner Otaku, Imma gonna go ^_^

dani_dc

Need to take a plane to Okinawa. Check prices with Jetstar, Vanilla or Skymark I guess.

Yeah that's what I figured, thanks!

I went to idol fest 2015 a couple weeks ago, and despite being mostly regular idols bands, the majority of the audience was composed of adult males, I saw quite a bit of mosh pits in some of the concerts, and the audience was some of the most exciting and moving audience I've seen in a concert.

Really, going there I realized that Metal audiences and Idol audiences aren't too different! I actually saw a few people with metal bands shirts at the concerts.

The biggest difference between both is that idol audiences tend to perform more complex jumping choreographies.

So I'm guessing that for Baby metal it would basically be the same.
Either way I wouldn't expect many girls there.

Also I advise you too buy the tickets as soon as possible, if it's anything like Tokyo, these concerts tend to sell out months in advance.

KaidoRacer7

Is there any shops specialized in Nintendo products in Tokyo? Not only in games,but other goodies too,like plushies,toys, shirts,etc

KillGore

So I'm visiting Japan for the first time in my life this November and I have a couple of questions:

How's the weather on late November/early December? do I need to wear a winter coat or is a jacket enough?

I want to travel to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima but I don't know any Japanese (other than the obvious phrases like thank you, nice to meet you, etc etc), will I be able to move around? Check-in hotels? order food? get into trains? Or do you guys think it would be better to take a tour? I wish I didn't but if it's the only choice...

Yeah that's what I figured, thanks!

I went to idol fest 2015 a couple weeks ago, and despite being mostly regular idols bands, the majority of the audience was composed of adult males, I saw quite a bit of mosh pits in some of the concerts, and the audience was some of the most exciting and moving audience I've seen in a concert.

Really, going there I realized that Metal audiences and Idol audiences aren't too different! I actually saw a few people with metal bands shirts at the concerts.

The biggest difference between both is that idol audiences tend to perform more complex jumping choreographies.

So I'm guessing that for Baby metal it would basically be the same.
Either way I wouldn't expect many girls there.

Also I advise you too buy the tickets as soon as possible, if it's anything like Tokyo, these concerts tend to sell out months in advance.
Yeah tickets for the Nagoya show I would be able to go to, go on sale in a few weeks so will keep an eye on things.

How long was the show of theirs you saw by the way? It says the show starts at 19:30 so hopefully it'll be over in 2 hours and give me enough time to get back to Tokyo before last train.

hwalker84

So I'm visiting Japan for the first time in my life this November and I have a couple of questions:

How's the weather on late November/early December? do I need to wear a winter coat or is a jacket enough?

I want to travel to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima but I don't know any Japanese (other than the obvious phrases like thank you, nice to meet you, etc etc), will I be able to move around? Check-in hotels? order food? get into trains? Or do you guys think it would be better to take a tour? I wish I didn't but if it's the only choice...

Where are you from? I went November 8th-30th and all I brought was a light jacket and even then barely used it. I rocked shorts most of the time. I'm from Pittsburgh though and it gets cold.

dani_dc

Yeah tickets for the Nagoya show I would be able to go to, go on sale in a few weeks so will keep an eye on things.

How long was the show of theirs you saw by the way? It says the show starts at 19:30 so hopefully it'll be over in 2 hours and give me enough time to get back to Tokyo before last train.

Oh, it was a the free stage on the idol festival, so it was like 20-30 minutes concerts and then a new band would come.

The "Smile Garden" stage on 8/2 in here.

I'd say that for a festival, 2 hours would be the very most you should expect, probably closer to hour and half.

Top Bottom