• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

So, current itinerary before any solid plans or research: Land on Thursday, Apr. 23rd after 4pm and catch train (or fly?) to Tohoku. Do one of Japanican's Tohoku Sakura tours on the Friday, and either make my way towards Saitama/Tokyo on Friday night or on Saturday morning for that concert. Then on Sunday or Monday, head to Kansai for the week, to return to Tokyo on the weekend leading up to my departure on Wednesday, May 6th.

Hm... Do you really need to do a tour though? You could check into whatever accommodation you choose in Tokyo on the 23rd. Then get a JR East Pass and go to Kakunodate by yourself with the JR Akita shinkansen on Friday morning and be back in Tokyo at night. Since the JR East Pass is a flexible 5 days within 14 days, you can use it for days both at the start and the end of your trip when you're in Tokyo/going to/from the airport.

Oh, and remember that it's golden week during your stay so find some places to stay ASAP.

Any suggestions on what to do in Tokyo? I'll have 4 nights and 3 days. On the list is The Ghibili Museum, Robot Restaurant, and at least one of the Alice in Wonderland restaurants (Alice in the Old Castle or possibly Labyrinth). I need time for shopping, visiting at least any 1 arcade, and just walking around, but atm I feel like I don't have much. It's easier for me to research stuff to do in Kyoto with all the sights there.

Any suggestions on what to do in Tokyo? I'll have 4 nights and 3 days. On the list is The Ghibili Museum, Robot Restaurant, and at least one of the Alice in Wonderland restaurants (Alice in the Old Castle or possibly Labyrinth). I need time for shopping, visiting at least any 1 arcade, and just walking around, but atm I feel like I don't have much. It's easier for me to research stuff to do in Kyoto with all the sights there.

try Daiba for the full size Gundam statue snd the Gundam Front stuff if you're a fan? Tsukiji Fishmarket maybe? Ebisu Beer Museum? Shibuya check out the Hachiko statue and the busiest cross walk in the world? really depend on what your interest is I suppose.

Check out Nakano Broadway. It's on the way from the Ghibli Museum from Tokyo and it got a couple of arcades and lots of anime/game/figure shops.

son of a... I was sick for the most of last 2 days and had been resting a lot in my room. I did go out a little last night and today. but I completely forgot to make a reservation for Robot Restaurant and they're all sold out for my duration here in Tokyo... orz oh well, guess I have something to look forward to next time (yeah, as if I don't already have a ton of other stuff I still want to do out here too).

on the bright side, at least I've seen the Gundam statue now and it is indeed awesome.

LiQiSyz.jpg

9uBRwFw.jpg

VT5Tsqg.jpg

and I saw this at the BK in Daiba and I just have to take a picture of it lol I wonder if I use it I'll be all attractive to the ladies in the US (the hungry but lacking in taste ones at least).

2v1RfyI.jpg

kubus

I spent 4 days in Tokyo last week and I had a blast. We did Akihabara on one day, Asakusa + Tokyo SkyTree the next, the following day Yoyogi Park + Harajuku +Shibuya and finally Ueno Park + Ikebukuro on the final day. I especially loved Tokyo SkyTree (the view at night was amazing) and Shibuya crossing which you just have to see in person. Hachiko is there as well and it was so cool to see him. I don't know when you're visiting, but the sakura are really beautiful right now so I also recommend Ueno Park (and maybe the zoo? Haven't been there yet). But don't go in the weekend because last Saturday it was SO CROWDED, it was even on tv.

JKTrix

Hm... Do you really need to do a tour though? You could check into whatever accommodation you choose in Tokyo on the 23rd. Then get a JR East Pass and go to Kakunodate by yourself with the JR Akita shinkansen on Friday morning and be back in Tokyo at night. Since the JR East Pass is a flexible 5 days within 14 days, you can use it for days both at the start and the end of your trip when you're in Tokyo/going to/from the airport.

Oh, and remember that it's golden week during your stay so find some places to stay ASAP.

Fantastic tip, completely solves that problem. Was only really considering tours since they're lazy and they'd take me to decent places, but if it's going to be in Japanese I might as well go by myself. One less hotel to book!

So I'm leaving on April 13th (headed for Tokyo), but I've noticed the cherry blossoms have bloomed.

Call this an incredibly dumb question but I'm still going to see Cherry Blossoms on the trees once I get there, right?

(Yeah, I know, dumb question)

I'm kind of kicking myself that I didn't leave this weekend coming, but I couldn't. I have my nieces 5th birthday party this weekend.

So I'm leaving on April 13th (headed for Tokyo), but I've noticed the cherry blossoms have bloomed.

Call this an incredibly dumb question but I'm still going to see Cherry Blossoms on the trees once I get there, right?

I'm kind of kicking myself that I didn't leave this weekend coming, but I couldn't. I have my nieces 5th birthday party this weekend.
Peak was already, so probably not.

You should be able to see a tree here and there with some amount of blossoms left. Most will probably be rather bare though.

Just keep in mind the dates can charge very fast depending on the rain. 1 day of heavy/wind rain kills the sakura very fast.

Will do, at this point its a total "wait and see" thing...not that I have much planned for this trip as is other than just wandering around day to day.

dani_dc

It's the same for those too, but they're usually a bit more chaotic so kind of hard to follow for some.

Hm ok, guess I must have misread the situations.
Though I swear there's one bridge (over the train tracks) near me where everyone always walks right :p

Check out Nakano Broadway. It's on the way from the Ghibli Museum from Tokyo and it got a couple of arcades and lots of anime/game/figure shops.

The Chuo line also goes all the way up to Akihabara so that's also a possibility depending of where he's heading.

son of a... I was sick for the most of last 2 days and had been resting a lot in my room. I did go out a little last night and today. but I completely forgot to make a reservation for Robot Restaurant and they're all sold out for my duration here in Tokyo... orz oh well, guess I have something to look forward to next time (yeah, as if I don't already have a ton of other stuff I still want to do out here too).

on the bright side, at least I've seen the Gundam statue now and it is indeed awesome.

That reminds me I need to do the reservation for Robot Restaurant for the GAF meeting.

And yes, the Gundam statue is amazing.

Ayumi

I suggest Amazon Japan for luggage. They have a lot at Tokyu Hands but Amazon is much cheaper/better value. Bigger for cheaper!

dani_dc

I suggest Amazon Japan for luggage. They have a lot at Tokyu Hands but Amazon is much cheaper/better value. Bigger for cheaper!

Would Amazon really be a viable option for someone traveling around though?

I have no idea how long shipping/delivery would take (plus it depends if the hotel can accept packages).

The Chuo line also goes all the way up to Akihabara so that's also a possibility depending of where he's heading.

Yeah, gotta make sure to get on the slower yellow Chuo-Sobu trains and not the orange rapid Chuo Line trains then (or just switch trains at Ochanomizu).

btw, anyone got a good suggestion for finding cheap luggage case in Tokyo? thinking about buying one for some of the extra stuff I'll have to buy for people.

Try Akky Duty Free in Akihabara.

Ayumi

Would Amazon really be a viable option for someone traveling around though?

I have no idea how long shipping/delivery would take (plus it depends if the hotel can accept packages).

I don't see why not? Just make sure you ask your hotel if they are okay with Amazon deliveries, and sort the Amazon search results by Prime so you can get it the next day after ordering. Prime = Day after delivery (it also lets you select what time of the day you want your package).

And I've always had Prime and I can't recall ever paying for it.. if you're just visiting, there's a trial you can use for free anyway, I think.

dani_dc

I don't see why not? Just make sure you ask your hotel if they are okay with Amazon deliveries, and sort the Amazon search results by Prime so you can get it the next day after ordering. Prime = Day after delivery (it also lets you select what time of the day you want your package).

And I've always had Prime and I can't recall ever paying for it.. if you're just visiting, there's a trial you can use for free anyway, I think.

Fair enough. How are you not paying for Prime if I might ask? Definitively interested/curious about that.

Ayumi

Fair enough. How are you not paying for Prime if I might ask? Definitively interested/curious about that.

Hm, I probably am, but I never noticed when the charge happens. I probably brushed over it? Apparently it's annual and not monthly so that's probably how I never noticed.

Empty

how is every street in tokyo near spotless yet i can never find a public bin. this is very perplexing.

tokyo is absolutely amazing. it was quite drizzly today so i hit some art exhibitions in roppongi, but the last couple of days at shinjuku gyoen and ueno park enjoying the sun and the cherry blossoms were amazing. beautiful public parks. then when the sun sets and all the neon and lights and skyscrapers and bustle feels like blade runner, especially looking over the city from the government tower in shinjuku and walking around enjoying atmosphere. many good shops too, i'm a bit obsessed with loft and tokyo hands and muji and super potato was a lovely little museum (so many beautifully kept old games omg).

hwalker84

Just went to Namba Parks Mall. Walked around bought some stuff from Comme Des Garcons and saw Jupiter Ascending.

On a different note. I will never get used to showering with other men.

Just went to Namba Parks Mall. Walked around bought some stuff from Comme Des Garcons and saw Jupiter Ascending.

On a different note. I will never get used to showering with other men.

how about a bath then...? lol

the other day in the bath house I did get a little interesting encounter thou. half way through my bath in comes this guy with full sleeves tattoo on his arms and thighs. and later on I realized he's actually there with 2 kids and another buddy of his who's also got a bunch of tattoos on. of course I pay no attention to them for the most part but it was kinda awesome seeing such cool tattoos sort of up close and uncovered. but don't these local bath houses forbid people with tattoos or something? (or so I heard)

Ayumi

but don't these local bath houses forbid people with tattoos or something? (or so I heard)

Most of them do, but some don't. The same with piercings too. All onsen rules, especially tattoo ones are very enforced (no exceptions if the rules are up, even for tiny tattoos) so I'm pretty sure you must have been to an onsen where they don't have those rules.

dani_dc

Hm, I probably am, but I never noticed when the charge happens. I probably brushed over it? Apparently it's annual and not monthly so that's probably how I never noticed.

I can see that happen.
3900 yen is a really good price for it, you'd make your money back really fast.

how about a bath then...? lol

the other day in the bath house I did get a little interesting encounter thou. half way through my bath in comes this guy with full sleeves tattoo on his arms and thighs. and later on I realized he's actually there with 2 kids and another buddy of his who's also got a bunch of tattoos on. of course I pay no attention to them for the most part but it was kinda awesome seeing such cool tattoos sort of up close and uncovered. but don't these local bath houses forbid people with tattoos or something? (or so I heard)

Perhaps you went into an Yakuza ran onsen :p

Thriller

Okay I just wanted to share this. To cut down costs my dad and I will be going to some hostels I've visited before and well be couchsurfing.

Two people have already approved of us staying (in Okayama and in Nagoya) and I am looking forward to it so damn much even though it is still far away.

Would you guys try to do everything there on your to-do list or would you enjoy the experience with locals more? Im thinking about going for the second option because we have been invited to a boat trip and a family dinner.

Damn, why is July still so far away :(

Ayumi

I can see that happen.

It's amazing being able to order and l get your stuff less than 12 hours later.
Can't put a price on something so helpful to my laziness. lol

I can see that happen.

Perhaps you went into an Yakuza ran onsen :p

wait, JP Amazon Prime is only ¥3900 a year!? that's like half what the US rate is!

(ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻

and lol at the yakuza onsen. but then again I think there were a total of 3 guys with tattoos on them (and not the trendy types, all of which are the traditional ones, like full sleeves dragon, Kannon and stuff) so maybe it's not such a farfetched idea. I even ran into a (whom I think... maybe) transgender peraon on my way out too.

this is around 10 minutes walk south of the Suminodo station in east Osaka btw.

Okay I just wanted to share this. To cut down costs my dad and I will be going to some hostels I've visited before and well be couchsurfing.

Two people have already approved of us staying (in Okayama and in Nagoya) and I am looking forward to it so damn much even though it is still far away.

Would you guys try to do everything there on your to-do list or would you enjoy the experience with locals more? Im thinking about going for the second option because we have been invited to a boat trip and a family dinner.

Damn, why is July still so far away :(

I would go for the special experience too. boat trip and family dinner sounds fun and not something you'll get to try all that often. most of the sight seeing stuff will be there waiting for you on your next trip.

It's amazing being able to order and l get your stuff less than 12 hours later.
Can't put a price on something so helpful to my laziness. lol

12 hour delivery too!? (ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻

at least we're getting the 1 day (or is it same day? I kinda forgot) in major cities in the U.S now.

Ayumi

12 hour delivery too!? (ノ`Д´)ノ彡┻━┻

at least we're getting the 1 day (or is it same day? I kinda forgot) in major cities in the U.S now.

It is a "next day delivery" but you can sometimes order in the evening too and still get your stuff in the morning/afternoon.

I doubt you get a same-day delivery. "1 day" is the minimum (but due to the clock, it's possible to get it the next day sometimes less than 24 hous after ordering).

This page says 2 days for the US. :v
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DBYBNEE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It is a "next day delivery" but you can sometimes order in the evening too and still get your stuff in the morning/afternoon.

I doubt you get a same-day delivery. "1 day" is the minimum (but due to the clock, it's possible to get it the next day sometimes less than 24 hous after ordering).

This page says 2 days for the US. :v
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DBYBNEE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

oh, I know the 2 days delivery is free for Prime, but I do seem to remember something about same day delivery... let's see...

yup here it is! $5.99 if you're a prime member and order before noon of that city.

but still, that annual fee is so much lower here thou...

edit: was watching TV the day before and saw a little news about some late night radio show ending it's 23 (or was it 25?) years run because the host's body can't handle it any more or something. the guy's name is 福山雅治 and I seem to heard of him before because I sort of recognize the name. anyway, they got like 3000 people outside the radio station for the event (mostly female, understandablely, since he's rather good looking) and it was rather emotional as it ends. he performed this song call "Good Night" live and for some reason, without being able to understand the words and never having listened to a single eps of his radio show, I got that nostalgic sadness related to it. that's some pretty crazy moment right there...

also, who's that big lady (or is it some guy dress as a lady) on so many of the shows and commercials on TV? I even saw her/him on the train ads and stuff.

sCHOCOLATE

...also, who's that big lady (or is it some guy dress as a lady) on so many of the shows and commercials on TV? I even saw her/him on the train ads and stuff.
Perhaps you mean "Matsuko Deluxe". I've asked Japanese friends of mine and even they have trouble categorizing him. Talent? Commentator? Comedian? He seems to be many things and able to preserve his momentum in Japan's media circles.

Thanks, Mike. Also thanks to everyone who replied to my previous question a few days ago about stuff to do in Tokyo, I'm still researching.

Perhaps you mean "Matsuko Deluxe". I've asked Japanese friends of mine and even they have trouble categorizing him. Talent? Commentator? Comedian? He seems to be many things and able to preserve his momentum in Japan's media circles.

googled that name and yup, that's the "lady"... good for him for keeping up with the media.

Branduil

Can you guys help me figure out the Japanese Customs form. How do I determine the market value for random stuff I've had for ages?

Zyzyxxz

Can you guys help me figure out the Japanese Customs form. How do I determine the market value for random stuff I've had for ages?

Um just don't declare your worthless junk.

Just say backpack/luggage and make up a fair number, nobody really reads that shit anyway.

Dont eat Nara style sushi.

if you mean the sort of pickled fish ones, those are fine. don't make such a big deal out of it lol

can buy some deer crackers for the local deers and feed them. but I suggest break them into little pieces first so you'll have them eating out of your hand longer. careful don't get headbutt by one or what not.

hwalker84

if you mean the sort of pickled fish ones, those are fine. don't make such a big deal out of it lol

can buy some deer crackers for the local deers and feed them. but I suggest break them into little pieces first so you'll have them eating out of your hand longer. careful don't get headbutt by one or what not.
I'm talking about this kind
8386607954_5ae48c0c2b_z.jpg

Since Nara is landlocked they created a style of sushi that's wrapped so it can last awhile. It tastes like fish that's on the edge of getting you sick.

I'm talking about this kind
8386607954_5ae48c0c2b_z.jpg

Since Nara is landlocked they created a style of sushi that's wrapped so it can last awhile. It tastes like fish that's on the edge of getting you sick.

lol yeah that's the ones I meant. they use vinegar to soak the fish over night (pretty sure they only use mackerel) to make the sushi, and then wrap up the sushi with persimmon leaves. it's not that bad so at least give it a try first before deciding (talking to Cyd0nia).

if you're going to Todaiji to check out the biggest wooden Buddha statue in the world (inside the largest wooden building in the world), around the corner you'll find this column with a hole at the bottom. if you can squeeze through it, supposedly you'll get fortune and enlightenment from it. but please take a good hard estimate first before going in... the hole IS pretty small and usually only kids would be able to fit through. if you're a skinny adult you might be fine, just make sure you have a friend on standby in case you're stuck lol

Top Bottom