• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

Dandte

I'm not sure if anyone here is still playing Valkyrie Connect or not, but Odin (and Mali) are now in the game. Odin is a special event summon (rated 9.5 on Altema, and SS tier), so he won't always be available. His rate isn't up, and likely won't ever be. Considering him akin to Dokkan characters in Dokkan Battle. Mani has her rate up though, and she's pretty decent (9.0 rated on Altema), but probably not needed if you have both Freya and Gullveig. No discount on the summon though, so 3k gems per multi-pull. :(

I did one multi-pull, and only got one rainbow orb out of it. I was disappointed...until that rainbow orb turned into Odin. So yes, I'm pretty happy right now. I didn't have Gullveig, so I needed him.

I did a multi on the weapon banner...got no rainbow and quitted the game. But i'm happy for you Chrono!

chrono01

I did a multi on the weapon banner...got no rainbow and quitted the game. But i'm happy for you Chrono!
Wait, the weapon banner isn't a guaranteed 3*? That sucks. :/

Thanks though, I'm super-excited to have pulled Odin. First I pulled Rukia in BBS, and now Odin in VC. I think this is the Universe correcting itself, for not giving my Super Vegito in Dokkan Battle, haha.

Dandte

Wait, the weapon banner isn't a guaranteed 3*? That sucks. :/

Thanks though, I'm super-excited to have pulled Odin. First I pulled Rukia in BBS, and now Odin in VC. I think this is the Universe correcting itself, for not giving my Super Vegito in Dokkan Battle, haha.
Yeah looks like the Gacha Gods are with you in this game :)
And in the coming week we will get Refia...i think we can agree that neither one of us will get a 5* base unit.

And for Topic:

The SAO Tales of Link Collab will start on 11/7 08:00, so maybe SAO Memory Defrag will launch at the same time.

chrono01

Yeah looks like the Gacha Gods are with you in this game :)
And in the coming week we will get Refia...i think we can agree that neither one of us will get a 5* base unit.

And for Topic:

The SAO Tales of Link Collab will start on 11/7 08:00, so maybe SAO Memory Defrag will launch at the same time.
After tonight, I'm definitely not getting Refia. I really hope I do, but I feel like I blew a year's worth a luck today. :/

Nice to hear about SAO, though. I hope the "mobile game" they're talking about isn't Hollow Realization for the Vita...but no, that couldn't be it.

Surely!

Dandte

I should write a review about Valiant Force...but i don't know.

Th art style is impressing, everaything is smooth, the game is challenging and wonderful. The characters are gorgeous. They have real japanese voice actors, f.e. the guy who voiced Eren from Aot. By far one of the best Gaming Experience in mobile Gaming.

But...but...but!!!

This game is designed to generate Money. Don't get me wrong, every f2p wants to generate money, but this game throws special offers at you like opra does it with cars. But it isn't a japanese Gacha game but an SEA, which means, it is designed so, that who spends more money will be better.

Plus the Gacha is horrible. It is generous handing out 2-4 hero tickets or 3-5 Hero tickets.

The Problem is, the rates are so bad.

My 2-4 tix only gave me 2* my 3-5 only 3*. Meanwhile every hero has a 3* base. Some stay at 3* some stay 4* and a few can go to 5*.

The Problem is not, that there a lot..a lot of uselesxs 3* only units, no...but these units also can drop in normal story mode and via gold gacha. Imagine doing a multi pull in optc or be or whatever gacha game you play and you get the exact same crap as if you would have done a friendship pull with free currency.

Okay let's say you got a good Unit, a unit that will go up to 5*. Nowyou have to hope to get the rigtht faith on it. F.e Athena boosts magic but decreases Str. Clearly we want Athena on our Mages, but poor you got Athena on your pure Attacker. A 5* Hero with Ares (attacker) has around 2300 atk..with athena only 1700. This is no small difference. But wait you can reroll your faith for only 100k Gold and a 4* Unit as a tribute.

Okay let's say, you got a good Unit with a good Faith, you are good to go right? Nope, maybe your Aura is bad.
Aura you ask? Well let me explay

Aura is an passive Ability which grants bonuses for other units. Tanks raises def, dd allow to double effect and healer have an automatic regen. The Problem is, aura only works in specific ways. F.e. the Aura of our Tank will boost the units to our left and right, if you don' have good physical attacker and play Mages Archer and Healer..well your Tanks aura is useless.

Unit A > Unit B
v
Unit C Unit D
^
Unit E

But hey, you can reroll your Aura.

I advice to play the game. It is fun. (except i got not a single potential 5* out of 18 pulls...but that's me and my gacha luck) But pls, don't whale on this game, don't put to much hope in pulling the unit you want.

I should write a review about Valiant Force...but i don't know.

But...but...but!!!

This game is designed to generate Money. Don't get me wrong, every f2p wants to generate money, but this game throws special offers at you like opra does it with cars. But it isn't a japanese Gacha game but an SEA, which means, it is designed so, that who spends more money will be better.
Nice post.
Valiant Force is a game you want to put time in because it has decent and satisfying progression gamplay, but most of it still screams SEA-based P2W mobile game.

Coming from games like Granblue, FF:Exvius and Terra Battle, you will easily see the difference.

It's still playable, but wish some other devs (jp ones) would've handled it.

Adeptrain

I couldn't find a thread about an oldish game called Summoner's war, so I decided to post here. Hope that's ok as SW is most definitely a gacha game...in the worst sense.

Anyway, I decided to start playing again after quitting a few years back and just wanted to see if GAF had a guild presence in the game. Anyone here play?

Caim

I couldn't find a thread about an oldish game called Summoner's war, so I decided to post here. Hope that's ok as SW is most definitely a gacha game...in the worst sense.

Anyway, I decided to start playing again after quitting a few years back and just wanted to see if GAF had a guild presence in the game. Anyone here play?

Never played it but it seems like a really big game so I would be surprised if there wasn't an OT for it.

MiTYH

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

it's been around for a while, and I tried it a year or two ago, but it just didn't grab my attention, despite having a huge following and seeming very well done.

Caim

Hunh, somehow I missed that one. Looks interesting. Though we definitely need another FF gacha game....

In other news, I'm HOPING SAO releases tonight/tomorrow. TalesOfLink has a collab going with it starting tonight, but it's unclear if the "new mobile SAO game" is the PS portable one or a phone game.

It's coming to PS4 as well so I'm hoping they mean Memory Defrag.

Would make sense for it all to come out at once.

I'm fairly new to the gacha genre, I've played monster strike, ff, p&d, and nowe am checking out guardian codex. What is the new hotness in this area/what would you recommend to someone who doesn't read japanese?

MiTYH

It's coming to PS4 as well so I'm hoping they mean Memory Defrag.

Would make sense for it all to come out at once.

Vita too, hence the worry.

But since it's mobile featuring mobile, and the timing works, I'm hopeful it means Defrag as well!

I'm fairly new to the gacha genre, I've played monster strike, ff, p&d, and nowe am checking out guardian codex. What is the new hotness in this area/what would you recommend to someone who doesn't read japanese?

Plenty to try out there.

Do you like animes? Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and Dragonball Z all have games

Like video games? A few Final fantasy ones out there (record keeper, mobius, exvius)

Like new stuff? Brave Frontier, GranBlue Fantasy, valiant force, etc

Quonny

Really depends what you want.

Mindless grind that's more like an idle clicker? Valkyrie Connect.
Somewhat in-depth game? Yeah, keep playing Guardian Codex, and it looks like the new SAO will fit this mold as well.
Lots of strategy? Terra Battle (but it's not new).

Dee Dee

I didn't want to open a new thread, so apologies in advance for any derail caused by asking here instead:

I figured you guys might be knowledgeable in the systems enough, so maybe someone can give me some clues. I am trying to look into the "Tutorial Gacha draw" that will give you a sure good draw, like a top tier card or something. What I mean is, when the game handholds you up to your first gacha draw, and then pre-determines what you draw (usually a pretty good / useful card or hero).
I don't even know if there is a set term for it, which makes it even harder to find research or statistics on it - I am interested if there is any data or speculation on the effect this has - does it entice players to spend more on gacha, as they have been conditioned to expect a high pay out, or will it shy them away even more since they feel they got lucky once and can go far enough with their high tutorial draw without chancing spending more.

Anyways, happy to hear experiences or opinions on this too, but if anyone can link an article or some data, that would be 5* awesome.

Permanently A

I didn't want to open a new thread, so apologies in advance for any derail caused by asking here instead:

I figured you guys might be knowledgeable in the systems enough, so maybe someone can give me some clues. I am trying to look into the "Tutorial Gacha draw" that will give you a sure good draw, like a top tier card or something. What I mean is, when the game handholds you up to your first gacha draw, and then pre-determines what you draw (usually a pretty good / useful card or hero).
I don't even know if there is a set term for it, which makes it even harder to find research or statistics on it - I am interested if there is any data or speculation on the effect this has - does it entice players to spend more on gacha, as they have been conditioned to expect a high pay out, or will it shy them away even more since they feel they got lucky once and can go far enough with their high tutorial draw without chancing spending more.

Anyways, happy to hear experiences or opinions on this too, but if anyone can link an article or some data, that would be 5* awesome.

I googled around a bit but wasn't able to find any mention of the practice or a term for it. My own opinion would be that the tutorial gacha usually gives an SR card only, not R or SSR. The only purpose for this I see is psychologically priming the player to expect something decent out of the gacha.

MiTYH

From my experience, and from many others, tutorials are fixed with a set pool of characters. Never top tier legends, but decent for beginners.

It's the in-game currency that finishing a tutorial gives you that allows for real good pulls. Hence all the rerolling of games at special events.

Dandte

Nice post.
Valiant Force is a game you want to put time in because it has decent and satisfying progression gamplay, but most of it still screams SEA-based P2W mobile game.

Coming from games like Granblue, FF:Exvius and Terra Battle, you will easily see the difference.

It's still playable, but wish some other devs (jp ones) would've handled it.

As soon as i finished my rant i pulled my most desired Hero. A tank who goes up to 5* and even ahs a good faith and a good aura. Ranting on Gaf always helps. For PVE the Game is perfectly fine, if you don't spend money it will take you just more time.
For PvP...well my f2p 4* team faces a lot of full 5* teams...on the entry level of PvP. Who pays more get's better units. But i will continue the game.

Tried it a good while ago. The gameitself is kinda fun. It's a solid game. In Japan i didn't saw any promotion for it, maybe because it is a korean game. In the US on the other Hand i saw a lot of Promotion. Iirc Burger King or an other fast food game has a promotion for it. The Game is solid, has a high user base but for me was the Artstyle a no go. I don't like this over chibi-esque designs, which most of South Korean game have.

Looks interesting. Art is okay. I like that they have ff xiv characters. Also i want a chocobo unit.

Hunh, somehow I missed that one. Looks interesting. Though we definitely need another FF gacha game....

In other news, I'm HOPING SAO releases tonight/tomorrow. TalesOfLink has a collab going with it starting tonight, but it's unclear if the "new mobile SAO game" is the PS portable one or a phone game.

We will see. No informations on Bamcos FB or Twitter. Right now Bamcos Twitter is in full SAOHR Mode. So the collab with Tales of Link might be for the Main Game Launch. Maybe later this month so they will grab the hype for the main game but don't split their userbase.

Valiant Force, but it is only South East Asian so far
FF Brave Exvius - my fav. game atm
One Piece TC- one of the more fair gachapon, even though it is only because of how the handle Gameplay.
Naruto - Was interesting, friend of mine is really into it. Too much Gacha for me.
Guardian Codex - I really don't like the representation, but it looks solid.
Gungho - the maker of P&D announced their new game, looks promising. Only japanese though.
18: Dream World - I'm really really looking forward this, looks super promising. The art is awesome.
Monster Super League - Also Korean, and mostly the same as Summoners War.It is like Battlefield and Cod. Different Brand, same game, but different.
Mobius Final Fantasy - Fairest Gacha of all games. Get's a steam release soon.
Sahdowverse - if you like hearthstone, you will like this one
Tales of Link - celebrates his 1 year anniversary right now. I found it pretty boring.

For myself. I have OPTC, FF BE and Valiant Force as active Games, with BE as my main game. It is just too good. Really love it.
Mobius and Naruto on the substitute's bench.

People tend to remember bad things more than good things. If you let them start your game with a positive impact, they are much likely less affected with bad impacts. It's the same as in MMORPGs or even the real life. People remember only the bad things.

F.e. i pulled a lot, a lot of trash over my Gacha life and it always feels like i have super bad luck, but i have really good units, i can clear every content but i'm still unhappy sometimes. why? Because 3 bad pulls are heavier than one really really good pull.
I just pulled the two most wanted units from the current Banner in FF BE with only 15 pulls. But when the next banner hits and i pull nothing and the memory of these bad pulls will overwrite the good pulls from the last days.

The negativity biasalso known as the negativity effect, refers to the notion that, even when of equal intensity, things of a more negative nature (e.g. unpleasant thoughts, emotions, or social interactions; harmful/traumatic events) have a greater effect on one's psychological state and processes than do neutral or positive things. In other words, something very positive will generally have less of an impact on a person's behavior and cognition than something equally emotional but negative. The negativity bias has been investigated within many different domains, including the formation of impressions and general evaluations; attention, learning, and memory; and decision-making and risk considerations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negativity_bias

All this goes in Confirmation bias

Confirmation bias, also called confirmatory bias or myside bias, is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities.It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs. People also tend to interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing position. Biased search, interpretation and memory have been invoked to explain attitude polarization (when a disagreement becomes more extreme even though the different parties are exposed to the same evidence), belief perseverance (when beliefs persist after the evidence for them is shown to be false), the irrational primacy effect (a greater reliance on information encountered early in a series) and illusory correlation (when people falsely perceive an association between two events or situations).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

A person who don't know how Gachpaons work will think they got something good, and when they get their first streak of bad pulls, they will instead of dropping the game, remember that they have a solid unit which they have invested time and maybe money in. an will continue, even though they think their luck is horrible, then they will have some good pulls, maybe with an 1 to 4 ratio of bad pulls. They will be bragging about their bad luck but don't mention the one good pull, but continue, and so on and so on.

But that are only my thoughts.

Sorry for the grammar etc. I'm super sleepy and it's kinda late here.

ReaperXL7

So I decided to give Guardians Codex a shot. My first ten pull landed me Two 5*s with Idun and Nuada so I'll probably give this a shot for a bit. I do wish someone would make a dungeon crawler gatcha with good art though, the closest I've found is a game from Gamevil called Chromatic Souls which was decent but just dident grab me.

I got an email from Valiant Force for my pre registration rewards which I thought was weird because I can't do anything with it since there is no indication of when the game is even coming to the US

Salex_

I'm surprised Summoners War isn't popular on GAF considering how successful this game has been (top 20~ in NA, Japan, Korea, etc for a long time). I came back after a year long break and it's my favorite mobile game now. It's one of the most F2P friendly gacha games on the market. The game constantly gives you opportunities to get Mystical Scrolls (the main premium pulls) and It always feels like I'm progressing in some kind of way. You're never waiting for an event or content update to do anything.

There's multiple 2* monsters (aka pulls you would get in friend summons in most gacha games) that can or will be stable monsters in certain stages of the game (including end game). Almost every 3* and above monster is useful for SOMETHING. Either Arena, Guild Wars, Raids + Elemental Raids, World Boss, Trials of Ascension Normal or Hard, Giant's Keep, Dragon's Lair, Necropolis, or a Farming monster.....it's most likely going to be useful for one of these.

Raids and the Crafting System they added made it significantly easily to get really good runes (it was ridiculous a year ago). Runes is where most of the improvements will come from and is the reason why so many monsters are viable.

There's a ton of useful beginner guides on reddit if anyone wants to check it out.
https://www.reddit.com/r/summonerswar/

After re-reading this, it looks like a advertisement lol. I'm just really enjoying the game. I dropped Naruto and Dokkan Battle (didn't get anything good during Dokkanfest with 200+ gems and completely lost interest in the game). Can't really do much in FFBE after you finish the current event besides TM farm or farm for more Hero's Rings, so I'm just waiting. One Piece TC is more active with coliseum, but I'm still waiting for a skill-up (Is it getting close to 2 months since the last one?). I never have that "waiting down time" in Summoners War.

Quonny

I played Summoner's War for a bit. My friend got really deep in it but the rune system ruined it for him, and after I read more about it, I quickly quit. RNG stat rolls on top of RNG drops was a big turn off. And the art is pretty meh.

But in terms of the F2P fairness, it actually is pretty good in that regard.

Jeffrey

don't really care about how much 'free summon currency' in games these days. 'giving out summon tickets' does not always equal f2pness.

All that matters is what are the rates for the top tier units. Like having to summon a few hundred times to pull Lightning in FFBE is kinda lame.

Incarmine

Banned
Summoners War f2p fair? If you mean can your progress without spending anything? Oh yes, but that goes for a lot of games. Otherwise, the incredibly low nat5 pull rates and the months of farming needed to get just one awesome 6-star rune makes it a very rough F2P journey.

Wonder Tactics, by the same company, gives you a lot more chances at premium pulls and floods you with crystals.

Soccer Spirits has much lower crystal income but you have alternative ways to get premium units.

Granblue Fantasy has surprise tickets, and generous compensation rewards.

All these games and many more are very F2P-able, but Summoners War has a very rough ride of it.

Salex_

Non-fusionable nat 5s are a luxury, but it would be nice if they increased the rates. It's really around 0.2% from a Mystical Scroll ....lol
https://swarfarm.com/data/log/summons/mystical-scroll/
5% from Legendary Scroll isn't too bad. I'd bump that to 10% though.
https://swarfarm.com/data/log/summons/legendary-scroll/

5* Runes are more than good enough for end game content. You can search for the perfect 6* runes if you want, but you don't need them. I feel like runes are fine with GrindStones and Enchanted Gems from Raids and the crafting system. I've crafted about 8 runes so far and 6 of them were great. It's nice to be able to get guaranteed 5-6* Violent Runes after a few runs (especially since I barely have any 5-6* Violent Runes, just started successfully auto-ing DB10). Any decent 5 or 6* rune with at least 1 relevant sub-stat can be turned into an amazing rune now.

Adeptrain

Non-fusionable nat 5s are a luxury, but it would be nice if they increased the rates. It's really around 0.2% from a Mystical Scroll ....lol
https://swarfarm.com/data/log/summons/mystical-scroll/
5% from Legendary Scroll isn't too bad. I'd bump that to 10% though.
https://swarfarm.com/data/log/summons/legendary-scroll/

5* Runes are more than good enough for end game content. You can search for the perfect 6* runes if you want, but you don't need them. I feel like runes are fine with GrindStones and Enchanted Gems from Raids and the crafting system. I've crafted about 8 runes so far and 6 of them were great. It's nice to be able to get guaranteed 5-6* Violent Runes after a few runs (especially since I barely have any 5-6* Violent Runes, just started successfully auto-ing DB10). Any decent 5 or 6* rune with at least 1 relevant sub-stat can be turned into an amazing rune now.

I just recently got back into it too, thus my search for other GAF players. There's no dedicated thread for it and I'm mainly just looking for a nice, chill guild and I've had a lot of luck playing with GAF players in other games...so I came here looking for other players. :)

My Global ID is :Lyfe4 if you're a global player. It'd be great to have some GAF friends on it.

So I decided to give Guardians Codex a shot. My first ten pull landed me Two 5*s with Idun and Nuada so I'll probably give this a shot for a bit. I do wish someone would make a dungeon crawler gatcha with good art though, the closest I've found is a game from Gamevil called Chromatic Souls which was decent but just dident grab me.

I got an email from Valiant Force for my pre registration rewards which I thought was weird because I can't do anything with it since there is no indication of when the game is even coming to the US

I got the same email. What a tease!

I've also played Chromatic Souls. I'd love a dungeon crawler that combined that art style and tone with the first person exploration of a game called Dungeon Monsters and has a combat system inspired by Grand Sphere. Each is only part of a game I think would be really special.

Players of that popular korean mobile game "Destiny Child" got all of their spent gems reimbursed because apparently there was a gacha rate error thing on their part.
Game launched 2 weeks ago.

Always fun when that happens.
I tried it when it launched, but didn't like it much.
so much fanservice ;o

Quonny

Players of that popular korean mobile game "Destiny Child" got all of their spent gems reimbursed because apparently there was a gacha rate error thing on their part.

so much fanservice ;o
"Error" lul.

LuuKyK

Has anyone ever played this game called Thousand Memories (I think)?

Good lord it took forever to download. It has been fun though, it's sort of a chain to attack kind of game but it has almost a 1000 characters and they are all voiced apparently. That's nice. Still discovering all the mechanics in it.

Ps: I logged in and had 259 (!) rewards in my inbox. Wtf? Enough to draw a bunch of great characters.

Lockon

Has anyone ever played this game called Thousand Memories (I think)?

Good lord it took forever to download. It has been fun though, it's sort of a chain to attack kind of game but it has almost a 1000 characters and they are all voiced apparently. That's nice. Still discovering all the mechanics in it.

Ps: I logged in and had 259 (!) rewards in my inbox. Wtf? Enough to draw a bunch of great characters.

If I'm looking at the right game, the gameplay is exactly like Tales of Link?

Caim

so much fanservice ;o

Been playing since someone posted the link. I've been F2P (plus its a korean game so I have no way of paying even if I wanted to) and woke up to 14k gems lmao and a multi pull is like 2700.

LuuKyK

If I'm looking at the right game, the gameplay is exactly like Tales of Link?

Never played Tales of Link but looked up on youtube and yes it is extremely similar. In fact its almost too similar. I wonder if its made by the same devs, but I dont think so. The one I mentioned was made by akatsuki or something like that. Not sure which game was launched first either.

There is no Gacha that is better than Chromatic Souls currently in the mobile industry right now. The system that Gamevil has for that game is so good, it shouldn't even be considered to be a gacha system, since you will eventually be able to obtain every character and skill in the game for free, as the gems they provide you are very generous, and skills can be crafted for. High end equipment can also be grinded for, and do not need to be spent on RNG pulls, in fact the gems would be better spent on skills for characters, as strategy in the game is a bit more important than brute force. They also have new content that they just released, so I recommend you guys to check it out. I'm doing end game content, and I have not spent a single penny on it, and I have been playing it for about a year now.

jengo

Never played Tales of Link but looked up on youtube and yes it is extremely similar. In fact its almost too similar. I wonder if its made by the same devs, but I dont think so. The one I mentioned was made by akatsuki or something like that. Not sure which game was launched first either.

Same dev.

Dandte

Disappointing how SE releases games like Guardian Codex or King's Knights for both JP and English at same time, but when it comes to more hyped games they don't bother with it.

Looks good though. Wonder if it'll melt my phone like Mobius does.

My guess would be that Games from popular Series have much higher costs because of quality assurance and lower fanbase. Guardian Codex is from the same Dev as Guardian Cross, which wasn't a good nor a bad game but it sold well, also in the west, so maybe SE knows, that they have a base for this game which will generate Money.

Also:

Sevems Rebirth, the new Game from Gunho, will release next Thursday...i don't like the artstyle...looks like playmobil the game.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
My guess would be that Games from popular Series have much higher costs because of quality assurance and lower fanbase. Guardian Codex is from the same Dev as Guardian Cross, which wasn't a good nor a bad game but it sold well, also in the west, so maybe SE knows, that they have a base for this game which will generate Money.

Also:

Sevems Rebirth, the new Game from Gunho, will release next Thursday...i don't like the artstyle...looks like playmobil the game.
Guardian Cross was amazing because it had trading lol.

Seventh Rebirth (new big GungHo game) got released in jp yesterday.
Gameplay is "ok". It's fun for what it is, but pretty basic so far in combat.
I like the polish they've put into it though. It's a pretty ambitious mobile game.

Android and ios

Their first trailer (released a month ago) being in English hopefully means an English release at some point.
(unless they meant it to be hip and cool ;/ )

Top Bottom