• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

Quonny

What is Granblue Fantasy's progression system like? I'm also curious about that game.

Grinding for weapons that drop at a less than 1% chance from raid bosses and grinding co-op quests for bits and bobbles.

There's a reason it's called Grindblue Fantasy.

That said, it has amazing art, gorgeous music, and (at least on the surface) a pretty fun combat system.

Incarmine

Banned
End-game content like guild wars characters and tier 4 classes also take STUPENDOUS amount of resources and time.

Grindblue Fantasy indeed.

Azusa

think i dont have the patience for rerolling anymore lol. any decent gacha games that just give you a decent unit?

Valiant Force.
Your first roll is always one of the best units in game. The only RNG is faith (determine unit stats distribution) but you can reroll it later with fodder and gold or hope for a good one.

bjork

It's really incredible that they can pump out so many FF games and they all can apparently do well enough to stay up and running. Some franchises are lucky to have one game, let alone several.

Jeffrey

never really got the appeal of gacha gear unless they actually show on the characters.

Like if I can get terra some bunny ears...

http://coj.sega.jp/app/
This game was released today. It's a mobile port of a digital card game that's been in Japanese arcades for at least 2 years. I was a huge fan of this game, but I dropped the arcade version when I realized it's impossible to get cards from the latest expansion if you're f2p. In the mobile version you at least have the option of crafting cards with the ingame currency (at inflated prices, admittedly).

Unlike Hearthstone which is full of cards with wild RNG effects, and no decisions or actions that can be made during an opponent's turn, this game mostly has cards with definite effects, and intercept cards that trigger at various points in any player's turns with a wide variety of effects.

I'll do a longer post explaining more of the game mechanics later. No English version planned in the near future unfortunately.

Code of Joker is a digital card game where players assemble decks of 40 cards and fight against each other. There are four types of cards: Units, Evolve Units, Triggers and Intercepts. Units are summoned onto the battlefield by paying their cost. All units have a BP (Battle Point) value, and most of them have at least one ability. Evolve Units cannot be summoned directly, they need to be summoned as a replacement of a unit of the same colour (more on colours later). Intercepts are like spell cards. You do not cast them directly however. They have to be triggered.

about_2_pc.png

See the bottom right of the image, where you can barely make out 4 cards with the word SET under them. That is the Intercept Zone, where you can set up your Intercepts. Every Intercept has a triggering condition, which can include things like you summoning a new unit, or when a unit kills another in battle. When the condition is fulfilled, you may choose to pay a cost and perform the effect of the Intercept card, which can include dealing damage to units, drawing you new cards, or even destroying cards in the opponent's Intercept Zone.

Trigger cards are set in the Intercept Zone and perform similarly to Intercept cards, except that once their condition has been met, they will automatically go off, and you have no choice in the matter. Because of this lack of flexibility, there is no cost for any of them.

You can see the opponents' Intercept Zone in the top left of the image. You won't know what exactly the cards he has put there are, but you can see their colour. This hidden information makes the game harder to predict!

Colours
The 4 colours of the game are red, blue, green and yellow. All units belong to one of those 4. There is also a colourless... colour. Intercepts can belong to any of those 5. Incidentally, another condition for using an Intercept is that you must have a unit of the matching colour on the battlefield. (There is no check for colourless Intercepts). Triggers are always colourless.

Red: Specializes in direct unit damage, and units with speed move (akin to Charge in Hearthstone or Haste in Magic, which allows the unit to attack on the turn it is summoned)
Green: Specializes in unit BP buffing/debuffing, and units.with Tireless (similar to Vigilance in Magic, which allows a unit to attack and block in the same turn)
Yellow: I hate fighting these guys. They have many effects which make enemy units lose their initiative (ie ability to block for the turn), and consequently effects that target units that have lost their initiative. They also have several cards that cause enemy units to return to their owner's hand.
Blue: They have some discard effects, and several abilities that return cards from your graveyard. They also have several instant-kill abilities that target units with a clock level of 2 or higher.

Clock level
Units are usually summoned into battle with a Clock level of 1. After killing an enemy unit, the killing unit will increase its Clock level, which usually gives a minor boost to its BP and restores it to maximum. If a unit clocks up to level 3 (the maximum), it acquires Overclock status and regains initiative (ie it may attack again that turn). There are some cards that have effects that depend on units reaching Overclock status.

Combat
The player whose turn it is may have a unit attack. The other player may then choose to block with one of his existing units or eat the hit. When two units fight, both players have a chance to play any Intercepts whose conditions have been met. After that, the BPs of the two units are compared. If one is lower, it is destroyed and the victor clocks up. If they are equal, both units are destroyed.
If the blocking player chose to take the hit however, he loses one unit of life no matter the unit's BP. Each player starts the game with 7 life.

Override and cost reduction
You are allowed to set units in the Intercept Zone. This allows you to summon another unit of the same colour at a discount of 1.
If you have two of the same unit in your hand, you may combine them into one card. This is called overriding. That unit will clock up once in your hand, and you will draw a card to replace the card you used to override. When you summon this unit it will appear on the battlefield at its enhanced level. Furthermore, if you summon a level 3 unit, it may attack immediately.

Joker
There is a small red bar in the bottom left area of the image. This is your Joker gauge. This bar increases as you take damage, and when you finish your turns. The faster you finish your turn, the more the Joker gauge fills. (You have one minute to finish a turn, but this timer is paused during most animations.) When the bar is filled up, you gain a Joker card. There are 7 characters, each with 4 Joker cards. You select one of those before starting a match. This is the card you will receive when your Joker gauge is ready.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
http://coj.sega.jp/app/
This game was released today. It's a mobile port of a digital card game that's been in Japanese arcades for at least 2 years. I was a huge fan of this game, but I dropped the arcade version when I realized it's impossible to get cards from the latest expansion if you're f2p. In the mobile version you at least have the option of crafting cards with the ingame currency (at inflated prices, admittedly).

This looks like a game that needs to be in English for me.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/0...-brings-ff-characters-taste-dissidia-systems/

Final Fantasy Opera Omnia is reported to be 99% complete.

Also characters are not obtained through gacha, but through story.

So I guess that weapons or something will probably be the gacha like FFRK?

Most of the FF games are pretty good, but I'm honestly burned out of the FF world. Too many!!!

What's the most battery-friendly gatcha game out there? Valiant force seems nice but the 3d graphics screams battery drain to me

This is why I never play 3D games. That and they tend to have slower gameplay.

Grinding for weapons that drop at a less than 1% chance from raid bosses and grinding co-op quests for bits and bobbles.

There's a reason it's called Grindblue Fantasy.

That said, it has amazing art, gorgeous music, and (at least on the surface) a pretty fun combat system.

I still consider GB to be the best Gacha game in many ways, but the grind is absolutely brutal, and the time commitment is just too much to handle.

chrono01

Pre Reg for One Piece Thousand Storm is up.

https://prereg-en.bn-ent.net/common/serial.php?app=onepiece-ts.en

Game doesn't look to bad.
Pre-registered, thanks!

I just hope this isn't one of those cases where you pre-register and it takes a ridiculous amount of time to release (Sword Art Online, I'm looking at you >_<). Last we heard on the former was an "Early 2017" release. So many good gatcha came and went, including the holiday-themed ones. :(

Caim

Thousand Storm was pretty neat since you control the characters directly and it has coop.

You pull for skill cards and characters and the rates didn't seem too bad either.

MiTYH

Hype incoming?! Found this on MemoryDefrag's reddit:

So with SAO and YuGiOh, I'll be set on new games for a while. Which is good since I think I'm dropping naruto -- love the series, but it's just a grind fest and I've fallen out of love with it. I'll still keep my account (Kabuto/Minato and some other good ones) but it moves to my daily login one (along with KHUX, Pokemon Shuffle, and P&D)

EDIT: Picture load is slow as hell. It's a twitter response from Bandai Namco saying it launches at the end of the month.

chrono01

I think most games chart higher than TC because TC doesn't really gouge you like other gacha games, which is why it's one of the best.
From what I've read, TS is more of the same (F2P-friendly), which is cool to see!

Hype incoming?! Found this on MemoryDefrag's reddit:

So with SAO and YuGiOh, I'll be set on new games for a while. Which is good since I think I'm dropping naruto -- love the series, but it's just a grind fest and I've fallen out of love with it. I'll still keep my account (Kabuto/Minato and some other good ones) but it moves to my daily login one (along with KHUX, Pokemon Shuffle, and P&D)

EDIT: Picture load is slow as hell. It's a twitter response from Bandai Namco saying it launches at the end of the month.
Oh man, I'm excited.

Naruto is fine, but yeah it's nothing special. It really does seem skewed towards P2P players, though. Events that are only really easily done (at least, S-Rank) with units pulled from their specific gatcha, and they hardly ever give out free pearls. They've even stopped the daily login pearls (again), and we still don't have the next set of chapters so we can't even grind more. :(

chrono01

Well, that's a surprise. One Piece Thousand Storm (iOS) is now out. At least, in Canada it is.

Downloading now!

Edit:

Maintenance. :(

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
There's gonna be a game on that one anime with the girl with that blue ribbon that supports her boobs!
I never watched, so I don't know the name.

chrono01

Thousand Storm is live, and it's...umm...not the best? I heard it was similar to Bleach Brave Souls, but the latter is SO much better combat-wise. Also, since it's an early release (I guess?) I don't get any pre-registration bonuses, so re-rolling is a pain. It takes far too long for a single roll.

The good news, is that the gatcha has Timeskip Zoro, who is an amazing (and recently-released character). The bad news? He's only around for a week (what!?), unless they extend the duration. It seems weird to have him around for so little when the game is just starting out. It's even more perplexing if this is indeed an early release. Multiplayer doesn't even work, at least I couldn't connect to it.

linkent

Thousand Storm is live, and it's...umm...not the best? I heard it was similar to Bleach Brave Souls, but the latter is SO much better combat-wise. Also, since it's an early release (I guess?) I don't get any pre-registration bonuses, so re-rolling is a pain. It takes far too long for a single roll.

The good news, is that the gatcha has Timeskip Zoro, who is an amazing (and recently-released character). The bad news? He's only around for a week (what!?), unless they extend the duration. It seems weird to have him around for so little when the game is just starting out. It's even more perplexing if this is indeed an early release. Multiplayer doesn't even work, at least I couldn't connect to it.

So clunky....
BBS is much smoother.

the multiple loading screen when going through each menu is the worst.
dont think i want to reroll without any initial gem.
50 gems gonna take a while to get.

MiTYH

YuGiOh Duel Links is live as well. Seems more fun this time, I'll try to stick with it.

And thousand storm is live, gotta try that. I'll probably stick with it for a while, I'm a sucker for all things One Piece.

But wait, is it only out in Canada? Might have to wait, I'm not gonna reroll all day only to wait for a US version

commish

I didn't like TS, tbh. Combat isn't very good and it's pretty slow, as these games go. I'll pass for now.

MiTYH

oh the bleach game is good, including gameplay and rates?

Might check that out.

It's enjoyable. I check in from time to time. Never was into the series, I think that'd help

Been playing YuGiOh Duel Links. Solo is fun but slow going. PVP is hit or miss depending on if you face someone who's new or playing for a long time. I've gotten my ass handed to me more than once now

Caim

YuGiOh Duel Links is live as well. Seems more fun this time, I'll try to stick with it.

And thousand storm is live, gotta try that. I'll probably stick with it for a while, I'm a sucker for all things One Piece.

But wait, is it only out in Canada? Might have to wait, I'm not gonna reroll all day only to wait for a US version

If it's like when Naruto soft launched its all under Global as I was able to transfer my account to my NA appstore account.

chrono01

So clunky....
BBS is much smoother.

the multiple loading screen when going through each menu is the worst.
dont think i want to reroll without any initial gem.
50 gems gonna take a while to get.
Yeah, I was hoping the game would have the same control as Brave Souls (sliding your finger to move/dodge, buttons to activate your specials, etc.). I didn't expect TS to be so automated. You literally tap an enemy/location and your character attacks anything in the area. You can't dodge (that I've seen) so you can basically just let the whole thing control itself while you manually tap abilities every now and then. Maybe things change later on, but early impressions aren't the best. I was looking forward to it too. :(

I'll probably give it a bit of time, and if I still feel lukewarm towards it, I'll just drop it.

oh the bleach game is good, including gameplay and rates?

Might check that out.
It's a great game, especially if you're a fan of the series. Klab is generous in handing out Spirit Orbs, always have a constant stream of events, is relatively F2P (there's powercreep in some characters for sure, but they're not needed to clear content it's mostly just for personal enjoyment), and the rates for their gatcha are pretty good (3% standard, with 6% being offered at the end/beginning of each month).

Great stuff.

I didn't like TS, tbh. Combat isn't very good and it's pretty slow, as these games go. I'll pass for now.
Yeah, it seems slow to me too. It really could have used a 2x option, at least for solo play. I know they can't add that for multiplayer (since everyone would need to be on 2x), but at least have it there for single-player.

I heard good things about this game, but I'm not seeing it. I can only hope it gets better as the game goes on.

Caim

Not a fan of TS also despite loving One Piece.

But, from what I've read, just about every character is farmable and you pull for skills?

I also don't like how game looks as far as characters go.

chrono01

Not a fan of TS also despite loving One Piece.

But, from what I've read, just about every character is farmable and you pull for skills?

I also don't like how game looks as far as characters go.
I believe a few characters are still gatcha-exclusive, but I could be wrong on that. The majority are just for skills though, from what I've read.

I don't mind the graphics ("chibi-styled" stuff has never really bothered me), I just wish the gameplay was a bit more faster-paced. I feel like I have so little control over anything.

commish

I believe a few characters are still gatcha-exclusive, but I could be wrong on that. The majority are just for skills though, from what I've read.

I don't mind the graphics ("chibi-styled" stuff has never really bothered me), I just wish the gameplay was a bit more faster-paced. I feel like I have so little control over anything.

Yeah gameplay really needs to be faster. When you are playing a few of these games at once, you really appreciate things like "double speed" or just faster animating games in general. One of the reasons I play Dokkan less is because it can be a bit slow sometimes, especially with the map you have to traverse. I know an update is coming, though, that will speed it up. Looking forward to it.

Regardless, this new OP game is kicked to the curb. SAO is my next game.

MiTYH

Yeah gameplay really needs to be faster. When you are playing a few of these games at once, you really appreciate things like "double speed" or just faster animating games in general. One of the reasons I play Dokkan less is because it can be a bit slow sometimes, especially with the map you have to traverse. I know an update is coming, though, that will speed it up. Looking forward to it.

Regardless, this new OP game is kicked to the curb. SAO is my next game.

So much that. I've played JPN and it is just so much faster, it's a slog to get back to Global. I cannot wait for that.

Still no OPTS in global? Hopefully tonight, I already have a normal, JPN, and new zealand iTunes, I don't want a fourth for canada.

Also, SAO I think comes out by the end of the month, right?

Caim

So much that. I've played JPN and it is just so much faster, it's a slog to get back to Global. I cannot wait for that.

Still no OPTS in global? Hopefully tonight, I already have a normal, JPN, and new zealand iTunes, I don't want a fourth for canada.

Also, SAO I think comes out by the end of the month, right?

Yeah it should be, SAO is all I'm looking forward to now.

Dropped a lot of games, but all I play now is OPTC, DBZ, and FFRK.

Top Bottom