• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

chrono01

Yeah excited for new WT. Naruto does need new mechanics but I just love those characters so much. Dokkan characters are boring by comparison. I'll probably backburner them both tbh. OPTC, Clash Royale and SAO or FE going forward. We will see. Too many good ones to play!
I'm right where you are. I love Naruto, but the UNB just feels so bare-bones (and grindy, for the content that is available). Dokkan Battle...I'll see. The power-creep in that is just insane, so if you don't get what you need from the gatcha (or multiple, to flesh out your teams), good luck doing any of the challenging content. I have a lot saved up for Black's banner, we'll see what happens after that.

Man, so many gatcha games, though. Then there's Thousand Storm, but honestly (after everything announced today, with SAO and FE coming in the next month) I can't see any appeal in TS, especially after trying a bit of it myself.

udivision

I feel like there's some magic sweet spot of how much you actually like the property/IP and how enjoyable the game really is that few of these have managed to hit. Well, a lot of that would just be personal preference though.

Kakaroach

I've never played any fire emblem game but damn that IGN video on YouTube with gameplay got me hyped. Will probably be adding that to the list.

As for that hunter x hunter game, it looks amazing. Would be pretty surprised if it ever game to global though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ahh another hunterXhunter not coming globally.....

Fantasy Life Online. I enjoyed the 3DS version. Chances of this getting global release?

FL 3DS was a success worldwide so the chances are quite high - then again its Level 5. Lets wait until the japanese release is out - they keep delaying their mobile games.

Caim

How does no Stamina work?

I didn't play much of it, but there is no stamina and you still rank up (team cost) plus each character has a FFX style sphere grid. I don't know if there are other systems in place that I wasn't aware of.

There is game called Memories of the Blue by the same company that uses the same exact system.

Azusa

FE will have global server.

本アプリのサーバについては、すべて共通のサーバとなります。また、アプリ内にテキストの言語設定はございますが、英雄のボイスについては言語設定はございません。

tl;dr: global server, text langauge setting, no voice setting

MiTYH

Found this on the One Piece Thousand Storm subreddit:

2g2zLPF.png

3 day maintenance lol. But it looks like OPTS is launched with SAO on the 24th/25th, give or take a day

I tried the Canadian "beta", and I really hope it speeds up a bit. Menus/UI were very clunky. I'll probably download it, reroll for some good stuff, and do daily logins until the SAO and FE hype dies down a bit
then uninstall it

ReaperXL7

To be honest I didn't follow a tier list and had no problems completing content with Klein, Asuna in a nightie and lisbeth.

I'm sure there are advantages to characters in the upper ranks but the combat system is action based so how well you do is just as much dependent on your ability to time your attacks, blocking, counters and switch attacks.

I didn't play very long after it came out in Japan because I was pretty certain that this would get an English release and it's a game that I could see communication becoming important, Really looking forward to it.

hmmmdonuts

Neo Member
By the way in SAO, I would personally roll for a healer.

A lot of the tougher multiplayer raids are nearly impossible without one.

Plus it's a bit easier to macro or play, since you can just repeatedly spam a single button, because you have guided ranged attacks.

You can always get melee chars later, but I would make the healer a priority.

MiTYH

By the way in SAO, I would personally roll for a healer.

A lot multiplayer raids are nearly impossible without one.

Plus it's a bit easier to macro or play, since you can just repeatedly spam a single button, because you have guided ranged attacks.

You can always get melee chars later, but I would make the healer a priority.

For those not in the know, who would be the top.... 3 characters to start with? Either ATK or healing like you said. I see the tier list but I'm still learning mechanics/who's what. It'd be easier to know names/faces to look for

hmmmdonuts

Neo Member
For those not in the know, who would be the top.... 3 characters to start with? Either ATK or healing like you said. I see the tier list but I'm still learning mechanics/who's what. It'd be easier to know names/faces to look for

The melee or attack characters are a lot more fun and engaging to play.

But for me personally, due to the multiple and extreme advantages, make the healer the number one priority. As a general rule, as long as you're rolling for the highest star healer you'll be okay. If you want to consider another factor, I would go for a light or dark element character. Since light is strong against dark, and vice versa, this way you still have an advantage against enemies who are strong against you.

There's a lot of opportunities to get premium currencies for free, and you can easily get a melee char later on.

Seven was my main, and in Japan, I think she was available about 2 weeks after the game launched:
https://game8.jp/sao-md/character/84253

The available chars at launch, and release schedule however may be different for the US.

But for me personally, in the long run, make the healer the number one priority. As a general rule, as long as you're rolling for the highest star healer you'll be okay. If you want to consider another factor, I would go for a light or dark element healer. Since light is strong against dark, and vice versa, this way you won't have a weakness.
I'd still just tell them to reroll Silica honestly, especially if F2P.
I'm assuming Global will start with jp launch lineup anyway.

Silica is still top tier for both solo and co-op
(although later on co-op will have specific element stuff)

ReaperXL7

Is there going to be a Gaf discord channel or OT for SAO? Considering the MP side of things I think it would be a good idea to get good people to play with, I'm hoping for the best but I'm not going to expect cooperation from randoms.

MiTYH

Is there going to be a Gaf discord channel or OT for SAO? Considering the MP side of things I think it would be a good idea to get good people to play with, I'm hoping for the best but I'm not going to expect cooperation from randoms.
I anticipate someone making an OT or at least info post when it's released globally. Similar to yugioh duel links. I think someone's working on an OT for that....

ReaperXL7

I anticipate someone making an OT or at least info post when it's released globally. Similar to yugioh duel links. I think someone's working on an OT for that....

Cool deal, looking forward to both.

As an aside, I noticed that Hortensia Saga has gotten a global release, it's seems like Sega allowed someone else to publish it but I'm curious if anyone here has played the JPN version?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hortensia-saga-en/id1074221801?mt=8

Uthred

Not super familiar with SAO, enjoyed the first anime series which is all I've seen. The game looks fairly fun from the trailer though, I do like side scrollers. Going to have to drop something, too many good (or at least addictive) mobile games. Bleach and Granblue already soak up a ton of time.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Yes yes, someone make the SAO OT. :) I don't know anything about the game or I'd throw together a quick OT.

ReaperXL7

Not super familiar with SAO, enjoyed the first anime series which is all I've seen. The game looks fairly fun from the trailer though, I do like side scrollers. Going to have to drop something, too many good (or at least addictive) mobile games. Bleach and Granblue already soak up a ton of time.

Yeah, I know a lot of people don't like them but I've really come around on mobile games over the past few years. I've dropped quite a few if they don't hold my attention but many of them are enjoyable and the quality is only going up.

The ones I'm currently still playing are Yu Gi Oh Dual links, Super Monster League, Dragonvale World, Unison League, Valkyrie Connect, FF Brave Exvius and Tower of Saviors.

Will probably drop Valkyrie Connect for SAO though.

chrono01

They just launched the Hortensia Saga Global server, so if you've been waiting to play, now is a good time. It should be available in your App Store, at least it was for iOS (Canada).

I played a bit of it, and it seems decent. I got an SSR during the tutorial as my free pull, but that's probably a guarantee. It's nice not having to re-roll for one, that's for sure.

If anyone starts, feel free to add my ID under "Invite a Friend". You get 5 stones, as well as the aforementioned SR for doing it. Can only do it once per account, unfortunately. Just click the banner and enter my ID.

The ID is "XCc8pbU4"

I'm not sure how much I'll play this, especially with SAO and Fire Emblem incoming, but I've been wanting to try it for a while so I figured I'd just go ahead with it.

Shouta

Hortensia has global now? Nice. I liked the story when I played the JP version but I was juggling too many games at the same time so I couldn't devote much to it. That and I'm not a fan of horizontal orientated games typically.

chrono01

Hortensia has global now? Nice. I liked the story when I played the JP version but I was juggling too many games at the same time so I couldn't devote much to it. That and I'm not a fan of horizontal orientated games typically.
Yeah, it was just released in the last few days (maybe today, I'm not sure). It was actually available in English on the Asian server for a while now, but the Global server is new (and, with it, has become available to download in my local app store).

The gameplay seems decent enough so far, and I am interested in the story. I've heard some pretty nice things about it, and the VA sounds great. Not too bad, but then I haven't played a whole lot yet.

SSR seem to be at 7% when doing a multi-pull, which is great. Single pulls have a 3% rate, so definitely save up for the multi-pulls to anyone starting.

Shouta

Yeah, it was just released in the last few days (maybe today, I'm not sure). It was actually available in English on the Asian server for a while now, but the Global server is new (and, with it, has become available to download in my local app store).

The gameplay seems decent enough so far, and I am interested in the story. I've heard some pretty nice things about it, and the VA sounds great. Not too bad, but then I haven't played a whole lot yet.

SSR seem to be at 7% when doing a multi-pull, which is great. Single pulls have a 3% rate, so definitely save up for the multi-pulls to anyone starting.

Nice. SSR rates are very good in the game and they usually do a lot of cool structured things to help you get the units you want as well.

The character designs and the story were what really drew me though. Adelheid is such a good design and she's a spear user!

Uthred

great googly moogly sao is downloading slowly

Slow and the update failed twice for me now on iOS (which cleverly has it redownload all data)

Edit: Seems to be fairly unstable, my android install also errored out and kicked my all the way back to the start, got into it on iOS on the third attempt. Might hold-off on re-rolling

chrono01

Nice. SSR rates are very good in the game and they usually do a lot of cool structured things to help you get the units you want as well.

The character designs and the story were what really drew me though. Adelheid is such a good design and she's a spear user!
Yeah, the art is nice. The one you linked reminds me a lot of Katalina from GranBlue Fantasy. That's a good thing, considering the art in the latter.

Nice to hear they have other avenues for SSR and making the obtaining of certain units more accessible.

Not the best time to hit though, with SAO. :/

great googly moogly sao is downloading slowly
I didn't even know it was up. Will download after dinner (although, from the sounds of it, waiting a bit for everything to stabilize might be the better option).

Ugh, goodbye free time.

chrono01

Never mind, I lost my Hortensia Saga account when I tried to link, and now I can't even re-roll because it's already bound.

Oh well, just going to delete and focus on SAO. I don't really have time for another gatcha game anyway, although it seemed decently fun from the little I played.

Edit: Never mind, I found a way to login and then link it to a GameView account.

Uthred

SAO took a while to install.

Looks like they show the rates for the characters which is nice.

Seems to be just rates for each rank of characters as all characters within that rank have the same chance to drop. I wonder how long it'd take to get 250 crystals, probably not worth it just for the "extra" character. Time to re-roll until I get Yuuki (or grow too bored and settle ;) )

chrono01

Seems to be just rates for each rank of characters as all characters within that rank have the same chance to drop. I wonder how long it'd take to get 250 crystals, probably not worth it just for the "extra" character. Time to re-roll until I get Yuuki (or grow too bored and settle ;) )
Going for Yuki, as well! I don't care how long it takes.

casiopao

Aha it is nice to see Hortensia getting some traction here.^^

The story is indeed great there as i can even compared it with most of good Jrpg stories there.^^ It had the high and lows moment there.^^ And the character side stories also further expand their personality/background.^^

For the gameplay, I have been playing the game on Jp server since the first day it launch lol. Hortensia as a game needs tons of dedication though. As Guild war happen everyday twice so if you joined a competitive guild, u are going to need to be active there.^^

There is also some set you can take for the guild war there. Defender, Castle Breaker, Officer Killer, Balanced set, etc. Hope that u guys will enjoy Hor-saga more.^^

And while i am not sure on how Global H-Saga works, i would not be so happy with SSR first there lol.^^ As the second book/Arc of the story will open up UR lol. So it is really a game highly focused on gacha too.^^(Sega is really kind with event though in JP.^^)

%E3%82%AA%E3%83%AB%E3%82%B5%E3%82%ACUR%E3%83%8B%E3%83%BC%E3%83%8A-241x300.png

One of my favorite UR card too there.^^

Hope u guys will enjoy the game as much as me here lol.^^

chrono01

Hortensia Saga looks nice. Is it out in EN on android or just ios?

I can't find the SEA version or a global apk.
Probably just iOS then. I recall reading something about this game not officially being released on Android (yet), at least if their Facebook page is anything to go by. :(

Hope you guys get it soon!

Also, time to start the re-rolling in SAO.

Top Bottom