• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Is it legitimately straight up bad... or is it just the lag making everything worse?

Give it a try... it's not BAD but it's not good enough to take time away from other gacha games, especially if you like the OP IP and aren't playing OPTC, which is far superior.

udivision

Give it a try... it's not BAD but it's not good enough to take time away from other gacha games, especially if you like the OP IP and aren't playing OPTC, which is far superior.

Hmm... I like the IP, and the more actiony premise seems more interesting to me than Treasure Cruise, although I used to play that. I feel like I can't get a feel for it until they fix the performance issues, but I can see how it may not be that great of a game.

I guess I'll try FE when that hits.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Hmm... I like the IP, and the more actiony premise seems more interesting to me than Treasure Cruise, although I used to play that. I feel like I can't get a feel for it until they fix the performance issues, but I can see how it may not be that great of a game.

You might like it better than TC then. It's definitely more action oriented and I think it is more popular in Japan than TC, so the future of the game is pretty secure. I'll check back in on it down the road but as of now, it isn't' to my taste.

bjork

Tokyo Xtreme Racer is out on the JP store, I had no idea.

You touch to accelerate, let off to slow down, and swipe in the given direction once you cross colored parts of the curves in order to drift, with the timing of your swipe dictating the rating each drift gets. It looks like it has a lot of parts and customization, and the gameplay feels slightly more involved than Drift Spirits, but Drift Spirits is regularly in the top grossing without regularly being in the top free, so I'm guessing the whales are already spoken for in that genre?

Still, I'm gonna play it. I like this series, even in a more basic form.

chrono01

I normally encourage creativity when it comes to gatcha games, but I kind of wish Bandai Namco had copied "Bleach Brave Souls" when it came to their "One Piece Thousand Storm" game. The combat in Brave Souls is amazing, and it controls just as well. I was kind of hoping Thousand Storm would play the same way after reading about it, but then I tried it. :/

Maybe one day...

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I gotta give props to Three Kingdoms Smash. Regularly, a 10 roll is 20% cheaper, but recently they had banners with an additional 50% off the first time. Sucks that exclusive event characters are only attainable by whales or people that only spend an ungodly amount of time in.
Art still on point tho.
N7hX5gc.png

ReaperXL7

It's kind of funny, SAO was the game I was looking forward to the most and yet the game that's grabbed my attention the strongest is Hortensia Saga which I had no strong feeling for in either direction. SAO is good overall, but I think the super low pull rate is killing my interest in playing it right now combined with the fact that Hortensia has a bit more going on in a few ways.

Kind of sucks that they pushed it out at a time when so many other Japanese Gacha games came out, that definitely you doesn't help the games chances of getting noticed.

chrono01

It's kind of funny, SAO was the game I was looking forward to the most and yet the game that's grabbed my attention the strongest is Hortensia Saga. SAO is good overall, but I think the super low pull rate is killing my interest in playing it right now combined with the fact that Hortensia has a bit more going on in a few ways.

Kind of sucks that they pushed it out at a time when so many other Japanese Gacha games came out, that define you doesn't help the games chances of getting noticed.
It's a solid game, for sure.

BTW, did the transfer code I sent you for SAO work out, or did you decide to re-roll for a Silica/Yuuki anyway?

I'm enjoying both games. The only thing that bothers me about Hortensia Saga is the UI (it feels extremely cluttered) and the sub-par translations. Some parts of the GVG tutorial were empty boxes for me, with a lot of the text cut off in others. It's pretty sad to see, especially in a game that's as story-heavy as this. :(

ReaperXL7

It's a solid game, for sure.

BTW, did the transfer code I sent you for SAO work out, or did you decide to re-roll for a Silica/Yuuki anyway?

I'm enjoying both games. The only thing that bothers me about Hortensia Saga is the UI (it feels extremely cluttered) and the sub-par translations. Some parts of the GVG tutorial were empty boxes for me, with a lot of the text cut off in others. It's pretty sad to see, especially in a game that's as story-heavy as this. :(

Oh yeah, I thought I responded to after you gave me the code! I apologize if I didn't. The account worked no problem, I'm working through the story stuff but I'm not going to pull for anything until they update the roster a bit, the pool is too low to waste crystals at the moment imo.

I agree that the global version of Hortensia has some rough edges, there were a few times that the conversations between characters were just blank boxes for me as well which kind of pissed me off a bit because I'm enjoying the story elements and there is a lot of emphasis on character backgrounds with the fact that it seems like every character has their own personal quest line which is cool. I hope they see enough success with the global game to give it the TLC that I think it deserves.

Also I noticed on Pre Launch. ME that Square is going to release a game called Kings Knight https://prelaunch.me/ios/NjU3 I'm not sure if it has a JPN version because Ive never heard of this one.

chrono01

Oh yeah, I thought I responded to after you gave me the code! I apologize if I didn't. The account worked no problem, I'm working through the story stuff but I'm not going to pull for anything until they update the roster a bit, the pool is too low to waste crystals at the moment imo.

I agree that the global version of Hortensia has some rough edges, there were a few times that the conversations between characters were just blank boxes for me as well which kind of pissed me off a bit because I'm enjoying the story elements and there is a lot of emphasis on character backgrounds with the fact that it seems like every character has their own personal quest line which is cool. I hope they see enough success with the global game to give it the TLC that I think it deserves.

Also I noticed on Pre Launch. ME that Square is going to release a game called Kings Knight https://prelaunch.me/ios/NjU3 I'm not sure if it has a JPN version because Ive never heard of this one.
No worries! I was just curious if they transfer worked or not. I'm glad to hear that it did, as I gave another account to another GAF member (a different one), so I wasn't sure, haha. But yeah, saving the in-game currency for later banners is definitely a great idea.

I agree with Hortensia Saga. Hopefully it does well on Global to encourage them to spend a little more quality-control time on the script/errors. It's great aside from that. Well, I still don't particularly like the UI, but it's like that in the Japanese version too, so it can't really be helped (unless they do an overhaul there too).

I wish Hortensia was out on Android :/
Yeah, that's really unfortunate. :(

Jeffrey

man... idk if its the stuff going on in the world, or my new job being more busy than before but... feel like I'm done with mobile games for now lol.

Like I feel like I have better stuff to do with my time instead of grinding events :p

Doesn't help that working in a big corporation vs startup = gaming sites blocked... heck even ffbe update servers are blocked lol.

Kakaroach

You might like it better than TC then. It's definitely more action oriented and I think it is more popular in Japan than TC, so the future of the game is pretty secure. I'll check back in on it down the road but as of now, it isn't' to my taste.
The problem with Thousand Storm is that it isn't actually an action game like Brave Souls. It's an auto game that if you play off auto is clunky and hard to play. Really disappointing for me, and I probably won't be giving it another chance unless they overhaul the gameplay, which they won't.

ReaperXL7

Anybody play Crash Fever? The aesthetic looks super neat but I can't tell if the gameplay actually has any substance behind it from Youtube videos.

I play it, I really like the aesthetics it's got a real summer wars/Digimon cyber sleuth style to it and it had real time co op. It's a gem matching game but also similar to games like Yo Kai watch wibble wobble or Marvel Tsum Tsum. Pull rates seem decent as well as I've always gotten at least one 5 star character from 10 pulls, but often multiples.

Caim

You can download Opera Omnia ahead of time.

In the JP App Store for iOS just search "Square Enix Inc" and scroll down until you see it, it's towards the bottom.

If you're Android I think QooApp has it as well.

ReaperXL7

I'm not sure if anyone here has, but I'm playing this love live game (wtf is wrong with me?). I wanted to play a decent Rythm game with fun songs and this seemed alright, the problem I'm having is that I can't figure out how the scoring system works. I can hit every note or miss a bunch and I still can't seem to get much over a C rating in scoring. Is the scoring tied to the level of your idol girls?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Biased review process imo.
All(?) Gacha games in Japan do this, content providers usually just do 1 multi for practical reasons for their audience from what I've seen.
I'm not sure if anyone here has, but I'm playing this love live game (wtf is wrong with me?). I wanted to play a decent Rythm game with fun songs and this seemed alright, the problem I'm having is that I can't figure out how the scoring system works. I can hit every note or miss a bunch and I still can't seem to get much over a C rating in scoring. Is the scoring tied to the level of your idol girls?
Yes, you need better stats on your girls.

Dee Dee

It's tied to your longest combo. If you only manage to hit 20 notes well enough in a row, it will always end up at C for example. For a better ranking you need a longer combo.

Edit: Hm, sorry if I am misremembering, but in story mode that should be the case. If you are playing a mode with leaderboards and stuff, then yes, you need better girls. :D

chrono01

It's tied to your longest combo. If you only manage to hit 20 notes well enough in a row, it will always end up at C for example. For a better ranking you need a longer combo.
Not necessary. There's a score and combo ranking when you finish a song. The score is based on your points, and combo is how long you kept the note streak going. A higher combo does result in higher points per Great/Perfect hit, but it's entirely possible to get an S-Rank in score, even if your combo streak during the song is low.

Basically, you need a full team of characters (SR and idolized, at the minimum) and a decent combo rank to get an S-Rank on score. You can make do even without the combo rank, as long as the overall stats on the particular attribute for the song (Smile/Pure/Cool) are high enough.

Dee Dee

Not necessary. There's a score and combo ranking when you finish a song. The score is based on your points, and combo is how long you kept the note streak going. A higher combo does result in higher points per Great/Perfect hit, but it's entirely possible to get an S-Rank in score, even if your combo streak during the song is low.

Basically, you need a full team of characters (SR and idolized, at the minimum) and a decent combo rank to get an S-Rank on score. You can make do even without the combo rank, as long as the overall stats on the particular attribute for the song (Smile/Pure/Cool) are high enough.

I played this so long ago. This question made me google a video and now I am watching an excited lady open tons of envelopes, I am getting nostalgic!

You are probably correct, but at the beginning of the game, a perfect combo should suffice for an S-Rank of the early story stages. I remember having most of them S-ranked before I got a my first full team of SR, and not even idolized.
That game was really fun.

Top Bottom