• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

hmmmdonuts

Neo Member
What should I focus on in Cosmic Break Adventures? For now I'm just simply doing the story levels. What does the grey "material" robots for? Also what about the cubes? How do you get them?

The grey material, will give you a huge boost to exp when enhancing your cards.

Some levels will drop cubes. Look at the loot drop list, before starting a level and it'll tell you.

Btw these cubes I just discovered have a small chance to give you a 5 star card! I opened about 10 to 15 yellow cubes, and have gotten a 5 star card from this.

chrono01

The story/dialogue in Fallen Princess is hilarious, and breaks the "fourth wall" pretty consistently. I love it.

Chariot just wants to give one of the female members a piggyback ride. Poor guy.

Another Eden got released yesterday. (JP ONLY)
It's f2p with gacha, but it plays more like a traditional jrpg than what you expect from these mobile games.
Text heavy with lots of cutscenes, so probably won't appeal to everyone.

Game is gorgeous though. Music is incredible.
https://another-eden.jp/

Random gameplay video HERE with map exploration and combat.

ios and android links if interested.

1j5PTRg.jpg

It's f2p with gacha, but it plays more like a traditional jrpg than what you expect from these mobile games.

https://another-eden.jp/

Random gameplay video HERE with map exploration and combat.

ios and android links if interested.

This is gorgeous and I hate that it will likely never be translated.

Caim

I don't think Wright Flyer Studios has ever brought any of their games over, but it would be really nice if we got Another Eden.

The game is beautiful, the music is fantastic, and the gameplay so far is very traditional turn based jrpg.

Every character has an upgrade system where you level up and put AP you earn to unlocking skills.

It's really straightforward at first, but it looks like it branches off later.

chrono01

This one is more like a mobile MMO-lite, right?
Judging from the pictures, yeah. The UI seems to be very MMO-like, but I'll have to watch some videos to be sure.

The good thing about getting a game with such a long legacy in Japan, means we (likely) won't be starved for content. Five years is a lot of stuff to work through. Granted, we won't have it all at once, but knowing all of it is created and just waiting for translation is great to know.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think Wright Flyer Studios has ever brought any of their games over, but it would be really nice if we got Another Eden.

The game is beautiful, the music is fantastic, and the gameplay so far is very traditional turn based jrpg.

Every character has an upgrade system where you level up and put AP you earn to unlocking skills.

It's really straightforward at first, but it looks like it branches off later.

Wright Flyer is a subsidiary of GREE, and the CEO was the head of GREE International previously, so I don't think that's actually impossible, so much as they feel the titles released so far don't fit the market well.

BluWacky

The music is done by members of the very talented team at Procyon Studio (aka Yasunori Mitsuda's company) and he wrote the main theme for it - this is no surprise!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Another Eden is okay. Art is kind of odd though. The backgrounds look great but like dressers inside houses are taller than your characters.

chrono01

This is one of the last games I want localized (read as: other have been already, not in a negative tone). FGO hype!
Yeah, it's been on my radar since...well, it was announced for Japan. Honestly, I had given up hope for it, so finding out that it's finally being released here is a dream come true for me.

I do feel bad for those who have been playing on the Japanese server (and being unable to transfer their progress), but Aniplex is looking into providing an English update for the Japanese release, but I'm doubtful it'll happen. They would have to translate way too much, with different events/story-line content happening between the two versions. I know they'd have to translate the content eventually for the English release, but not all at once. I just can't see it. If you can replay story sequences/cut-scenes (which I assume you can), they'd potentially have to translate 2+ years of dialogue in a small stretch of time for the English-patched Japanese release, where on the English server they just have to focus on the first few chapters and then each subsequent one as they're released. Much easier job for them.

But hey, it could happen! I'm relieved I didn't start on the Japanese version, though. I was tempted, but knowing I wouldn't get the full grasp of the story (one of the games strongest points) and I decided against it. I seriously can't wait for the release, here's hoping it doesn't take too long.

NexusCell

Yeah, it's been on my radar since...well, it was announced for Japan. Honestly, I had given up hope for it, so finding out that it's finally being released here is a dream come true for me.

I do feel bad for those who have been playing on the Japanese server (and being unable to transfer their progress), but Aniplex is looking into providing an English update for the Japanese release, but I'm doubtful it'll happen. They would have to translate way too much, with different events/story-line content happening between the two versions. I know they'd have to translate the content eventually for the English release, but not all at once. I just can't see it. If you can replay story sequences/cut-scenes (which I assume you can), they'd potentially have to translate 2+ years of dialogue in a small stretch of time for the English-patched Japanese release, where on the English server they just have to focus on the first few chapters and then each subsequent one as they're released. Much easier job for them.

But hey, it could happen! I'm relieved I didn't start on the Japanese version, though. I was tempted, but knowing I wouldn't get the full grasp of the story (one of the games strongest points) and I decided against it. I seriously can't wait for the release, here's hoping it doesn't take too long.

Speaking as someone who has invested some money into his JPN account (Not a whale though), I'm fine with just using the English version as an alt account, since I think I can have both clients on my iPhone.

Plus I'll be less tempted by bait gatchas.

chrono01

Speaking as someone who has invested some money into his JPN account (Not a whale though), I'm fine with just using the English version as an alt account, since I think I can have both clients on my iPhone.

Plus I'll be less tempted by bait gatchas.

Yeah, no worries there. I don't see any reason you couldn't have both regions' app on your phone, so the Japanese release can sit alongside the Global one no problem.

I do hope those who remain with the Japanese version at least give the English one a try. I'm kind of worried that people won't bother, which means the game has a potential to fail, which might have an impact on what future titles may/may not be localized. I probably shouldn't worry, though. The Fate series has a lot of fans worldwide, so I'm sure (even if 10% stick with the Japanese version and ignore the English one) the game will still be successful.

...Hopefully.

I really want to see it do well, so more developers are inspired to localize their games in English. SINoALICE anyone?

Azusa

I really want to see it do well, so more developers are inspired to localize their games in English. SINoALICE anyone?

DAY ONE. I'll jump into SINoALICE asap. It looks cool.

I burned on mobage global servers. Its too painful when all games that I played are closed or shit ver.

chrono01

DAY ONE. I'll jump into SINoALICE asap. It looks cool.

I burned on mobage global servers. Its too painful when all games that I played are closed or shit ver.
Yeah, I'm really excited for SINoALICE. I just hope SE localizes it here. Maybe with all eyes being on Yoko Taro right now, and with the success of Nier Automata, SE will take a chance. I don't want to play the Japanese version of it, not with as much story/dialogue/etc. that will be present in it (I'm sure).

As for mobage closing down, the only ones that I were really affected by was Chain Chronicle (it still hurts :/) and Rune Story. F/GO shouldn't have these problems, but I guess it depends on how many choose to ignore it over the Japanese version.

I really hope people at least play both. You don't have to make the English one your main, but I'd like it if they at least showed a little support. I know a lot of people, both ehre and other forums, are upset over the separate Global servers, but this seems to be a fairly common thing when it comes to gatcha games. GBF is kind of the exception in this case. It's not as though they're doing anything strange with F/GO, and many (myself included) didn't expect an English version to come at all.

Thanks for the post, lots of good information here.

Summer, huh? That's sooner than I thought, I was estimating around Fall, but then the release date could slip. Here's hoping it is Summer, I need my hands on it ASAP.

jengo

[Looks at list of games Aniplex of America has handled] Hoo boy...

Well I guess they went with keeping it in the Sony family for the int'l release, but it's not looking hopeful.

As for global vs. JP app's, for a game that's been out that long in Japan, I don't know how people had the slightest shred of hope for the int'l version to be on the same schedule/app. Tons of localization needed, and that shit takes time.

MiTYH

[Looks at list of games Aniplex of America has handled] Hoo boy...

Well I guess they went with keeping it in the Sony family for the int'l release, but it's not looking hopeful.

As for global vs. JP app's, for a game that's been out that long in Japan, I don't know how people had the slightest shred of hope for the int'l version to be on the same schedule/app. Tons of localization needed, and that shit takes time.

I agree. The only game I know that put everyone on the same server was Granblue (did SAO make a new server? Can't remember, I dropped the game). I'd much rather start fresh on Global than join a game as long as F/GO anyway. Very excited for the summer!

Azusa

I agree. The only game I know that put everyone on the same server was Granblue (did SAO make a new server? Can't remember, I dropped the game). I'd much rather start fresh on Global than join a game as long as F/GO anyway. Very excited for the summer!

Fire Emblem Heroes is also on the same server.

Shirke

Something I've always wondered about is why are there so much utterly generic freemium iOS/Android RPGs with a summoning mechanic and where the hell are they all coming from?

I mean, just checking out this guy's videos of him checking every single new one that pops up and there's literally dozens of them that fail to stand out and any way, plus it's not like they're exactly zero effort since art and animations can't be that cheap. But to me it seems like the gacha games that at least have some sense of deep mechanics or staying power that isn't just autoing every battle to death come from Japan, while I have no idea where these cookie cutter games come from.

Fire Emblem Heroes is probably the single most forward-thinking mobage launch so far. Having the entire server be global and having updates land in all regions simultaneously is absolutely fantastic for players, and while they aren't totally dominating the charts it seems to be paying off.

Now if only they'd run some real events instead of just the vote fights. :V

Also I didn't see any discussion of this at all: Hortensia Saga Global announced a shutdown on March 23rd, and the server will close for good in two weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/gv.hortensiasagaen/posts/1668042683498781

This is a server that launched this past January.

Hot christ. That makes the Chain Chronicle debacle look like a good, long run. I was at one point curious about Hortensia too, but it looks like the game's pretty much done and dusted.

-

Anyway, I gotta admit that the F/SN collab got me playing Valkyrie Connect a bit. I'm having more fun than I anticipated, it's a neat little game! (Though it probably helps that I somehow managed to get Saber, Ilya, and Shirou, without whaling and without rerolling...)

I'm also curious as to who the dickens is doing the localization for it, because while the plot is super basic, the script reads better and has a lot more spirit than I ever would've expected it to have. It's been refreshing.

Still looking forward to seeing how the F/GO global version shakes out. I don't envy whoever's been assigned to wrangle the script for that monster.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Fire Emblem Heroes is probably the single most forward-thinking mobage launch so far. Having the entire server be global and having updates land in all regions simultaneously is absolutely fantastic for players, and while they aren't totally dominating the charts it seems to be paying off.
Terra Battle and Guardian Cross's sequel thing am cri.

Also I didn't see any discussion of this at all: Hortensia Saga Global announced a shutdown on March 23rd, and the server will close for good in two weeks.

Hot christ. That makes the Chain Chronicle debacle look like a good, long run. I was at one point curious about Hortensia too, but it looks like the game's pretty much done and dusted.

Guess I don't have to check if they've launched the android version every couple of weeks anymore. That's too bad -- I liked the aesthetic of that one a lot.

FGO is going to be something I try out but I'm not too attached to the licence, so I'm not sure if I'll go ham in it. The really rough rates in the gatcha are kind of a deal breaker too.

Real surprised to see it localized though! Very exciting.

Shoyz

NetEase responded to a comment on Facebook, saying there will be a soft launch and beta, but also that Onmyoji will launch in June. Whether that soft-launch is the beta, and whether the June release is the beta or the official launch lacked clarification..Either way, June!

gaiadyne

-

Anyway, I gotta admit that the F/SN collab got me playing Valkyrie Connect a bit. I'm having more fun than I anticipated, it's a neat little game! (Though it probably helps that I somehow managed to get Saber, Ilya, and Shirou, without whaling and without rerolling...)

I'm also curious as to who the dickens is doing the localization for it, because while the plot is super basic, the script reads better and has a lot more spirit than I ever would've expected it to have. It's been refreshing.

Still looking forward to seeing how the F/GO global version shakes out. I don't envy whoever's been assigned to wrangle the script for that monster.

Holy crap at Hortensia Saga! They never even released the global version for Android I was waiting for it :( I guess I dodged a bullet here

Kettch

I'm still sad about Chain Chronicle.

Tried playing the JP version for a while, but the combo of not getting the story and having to work hard finding skill translations was too much for me.

Sabas

Banned
Hortensia Saga was a Sega game, right? After Chain Chronicle and now Hortensia maybe they should take it upon themselves to release the Eng/Global version...

chrono01

Sad to hear about Hortensia Saga closing down, but I'm not terribly surprised. I played a bit of it on my phone and the translation was horrible. Not just that, they were very stingy when it came to giving out premium currency. It just felt like a half-assed job all around. :(

Shouta

Hortensia JP has some really good pull systems in place for folks and even gives a decent amount of currency out as well. I actually should get back into it for the story.

ReaperXL7

So yeah, at this point I'm not going to spend anymore time with mobile games released globally that Sega is involved with. Hortensia has only been out a few months and never even had any real promotion it just went up on the store one day and I came across it by complete accident.

Sucks because I really enjoyed it and War Pirates but it's pretty clear that Sega has no interest in seeing these games succeed globally, which was probably obvious by the fact that they always had a third party publish the global version.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Hortensia Saga was sent out to die, with a horrible localization (in both script and implementation) and practically no commercial push. I was sad to see it go, but not surprised in the slightest.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Huh, I wonder why Mihoyo's game I praised 2 months ago at launch is trying to get a second wind; many female YouTubers have just covered it yesterday.

casiopao

Hortensia JP has some really good pull systems in place for folks and even gives a decent amount of currency out as well. I actually should get back into it for the story.

We are on Arc 3 after all and there is now even moar Anime cutscene after the chapter lol.^^ Can't wait for the anime to come out.^^

Pachael

So yeah, at this point I'm not going to spend anymore time with mobile games released globally that Sega is involved with. Hortensia has only been out a few months and never even had any real promotion it just went up on the store one day and I came across it by complete accident.

Sucks because I really enjoyed it and War Pirates but it's pretty clear that Sega has no interest in seeing these games succeed globally, which was probably obvious by the fact that they always had a third party publish the global version.

That's disappointing as I do like playing Hortensia Saga JP. Oh well, my phone doesn't have unlimited space or money for any more poor localisation efforts for gacha considering how I got burnt on Chain Chronicle.

Z3M0G

It didn't start as a gacha game, but just became one after an update:

Dice Hunter

Above video is the old non-gacha version. But the gameplay and art are all still the same. Now you spend gems to pull new dice, or get shards to upgrade dice you have. (15 dice so far).

Fun game! I suggest checking it out.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Gamevils War of Crown is up in the U.S

It's an SRPG for anyone that might be interested, I'm currently downloading it so can't give impressions yet.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=304723

Interesting, I will check it out. I recently started a new game (Hawk, which is kinda like a SHMUP gacha game).

Edit: Ugh, I play almost 0 games that are in landscape orientation. Probably a deal breaker but we'll see.

MiTYH

Gamevils War of Crown is up in the U.S

It's an SRPG for anyone that might be interested, I'm currently downloading it so can't give impressions yet.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=304723

Seems alright. I'm instantly turned off by anything with an "auto" button since it just pays it for me but... we'll see

In between things, took about 7 rerolls to get a 5-star unit. It's quick to get to the free gem summon stuff (check your mail), but damn it takes forever to DL on iOS

Dandte

Seems alright. I'm instantly turned off by anything with an "auto" button since it just pays it for me but... we'll see

In between things, took about 7 rerolls to get a 5-star unit. It's quick to get to the free gem summon stuff (check your mail), but damn it takes forever to DL on iOS

This. Also most of the times i hat games which have multiple versions of the same unit like this game has.

Speaking off games never released on global:

I'm still mad that we never got the tetris gacha game. I remember seeing it on my train to my apartment in kamijujo and was flashed instantly. I played it and it was fun but i wish i would have had a global version. It even was published by EA...EA!!!!

Look at this and tell me it doesn't looks awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPdYA3noxF4

Top Bottom