• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

yuuki

This. Also most of the times i hat games which have multiple versions of the same unit like this game has.

Speaking off games never released on global:

I'm still mad that we never got the tetris gacha game. I remember seeing it on my train to my apartment in kamijujo and was flashed instantly. I played it and it was fun but i wish i would have had a global version. It even was published be EA...EA!!!!

Look at this and tell me it doesn't looks awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPdYA3noxF4

not really tetris but maybe something for you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PKHo3zvEew

Rixa

Reddit has some tips for War of Crown.

Currently in reroll heaven (or hell). Done 18 times now. Trying to get atleast 2 5* units and one more from next 10 pull (takes few hours to get enough garnets). Sofar only once got 2 5* and that 2nd 10+1 was dud.

Free summon can give you 5* too (has happened me few time). Today we are also getting ticket in the mail that is 3-5* unit. I think chances to get 5* with that ticket is kinda low. Oh well I have time to reroll.

Azusa

Reddit has some tips for War of Crown.

Currently in reroll heaven (or hell). Done 18 times now. Trying to get atleast 2 5* units and one more from next 10 pull (takes few hours to get enough garnets). Sofar only once got 2 5* and that 2nd 10+1 was dud.

Free summon can give you 5* too (has happened me few time). Today we are also getting ticket in the mail that is 3-5* unit. I think chances to get 5* with that ticket is kinda low. Oh well I have time to reroll.

The real question is how bad the grind is and how mindless is it? I feel its an another all-day-auto-battle game.

Rixa

The real question is how bad the grind is and how mindless is it? I feel its an another all-day-auto-battle game.

I think you are right, prolly really grindy + auto. Game is FFT style and reminds somewhat Gumi game Phantom of the Kill. Korean origin and layout seems somewhat same than Soccer Spirits (well its Gamevil game and Hive account). Still on rerolling, read from Discord that 5* rate is 3%.

Pejo

Anybody on GAF playing King's Raid or Valkyrie Connect? I randomly downloaded them out of "suggested games" the other day when I was bored, and they're both pretty ok so far.

King's Raid especially has got some high production values for a mobile game. The JP (or maybe KR?) version is updated at the same time as global, so it's kinda exciting to live in the moment with it.

Kitoro

Uninstalled War of Crown already. Just the menu screen UI alone was enough to make me want to puke. Also, the gameplay is a bit cumbersome to manage from the isometric view, and top-down looks hideous. I've gotten my fill from these types of style over substance games with Dragon Blaze.

KHUx, FEH, SAO and DBZ run much smoother, and are much more enjoyable and manageable for my tastes.

Anybody on GAF playing King's Raid or Valkyrie Connect? I randomly downloaded them out of "suggested games" the other day when I was bored, and they're both pretty ok so far.

King's Raid especially has got some high production values for a mobile game. The JP (or maybe KR?) version is updated at the same time as global, so it's kinda exciting to live in the moment with it.

I'm playing both. Valkyrie JP version since launch. King's Raid already got 3 units to 5 stars. I'll probably stick to Kings Raids for awhile, I like that you can buy the characters outright or you can get them free through the "heroes inn".

I came in here to mention the hilarious bait Nintendo just pulled in Fire Emblem but HOLY SHIT! I've been told so many times this was never happening due to the sheer amount of text etc.

Well the end result is not set in stone. There are plenty of things that can go bad or wrong in the process of localization, or it can be a very half assed effort. There are already some things missing in the english version from the early reports.

Well the end result is not set in stone. There are plenty of things that can go bad or wrong in the process of localization, or it can be a very half assed effort. There are already some things missing in the english version from the early reports.

Yeah, the quality of F/GO remains up in the air, sadly. I want to hope, I want desperately to hope because F/GO is the first game of its sort to truly capture my heart, but the first trailer alone had one or two worrying signs.

chrono01

Wow. Just as I thought about giving Monster Strike another chance (I had to go through account recovery and give them a bunch of details, as I lost my account), and having it restored, they announce the closure of the game. :/

http://us.monster-strike.com/news/monster_strike_closure_announcement.html

Honestly, Monster Strike should have done much better than it did. Them pulling/removing LINE effectively killed the game for many (the poor gatcha rates didn't help) and, while they did revert their change later on, by that point it was too late. I know it's why I left, and thought of trying it again but it's for naught, I guess. First Chain Chronicle, then White Cat Project/Rune Story, and now Monster Strike. All three of these are (still) extremely popular in Japan. The fact that their English localizations failed is disappointing.

I really hope Fate G/O is handled well. :(

Kitoro

I'm so sad to hear the news of Monster Strike. What about it that has made it the tremendous success in Japan failed to translate over to other markets?

I downloaded it day one, and had a blast with it for a few weeks, but for me, the co-op just felt like a slower, less exciting single player, since the gameplay was just divided up.

Also, I never knew what units were best to try for, nor did I ever seem to get good ones, even after many thousands of orbs.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Well everyone can start JP since Yu Yu Hakusho collab 2 is starting tomorrow!
FGO will be fine, the West seems to cling onto popular, existing ip.

chrono01

I'm so sad to hear the news of Monster Strike. What about it that has made it the tremendous success in Japan failed to translate over to other markets?

I downloaded it day one, and had a blast with it for a few weeks, but for me, the co-op just felt like a slower, less exciting single player, since the gameplay was just divided up.

Also, I never knew what units were best to try for, nor did I ever seem to get good ones, even after many thousands of orbs.
I actually really enjoyed co-op. It was slower, but kind of fun to tackle a monster with three other people. I didn't like the limited window for events, though. I would have preferred them be available for the entire day instead of the one-two hour window.

As for not getting the good characters, the rate was definitely on the lower side, but apparently the Japanese released also suffers from this.

Shame to see it go, though. It definitely had potential.

FGO will be fine, the West seems to cling onto popular, existing ip.
I really hope so. :(

God, if Monster Strike, the other true 800-ton gorilla of the JP charts, can't make it work over here...

I'd love to hear a teardown from folks on what they think Monster Strike EN did wrong. You'd think that game would be legit too big to fail and Mixi would at least leave the lights on with all the stupid amounts of money they make in the JP market alone, just to keep face up.

ReaperXL7

God, if Monster Strike, the other true 800-ton gorilla of the JP charts, can't make it work over here...

I'd love to hear a teardown from folks on what they think Monster Strike EN did wrong. You'd think that game would be legit too big to fail and Mixi would at least leave the lights on with all the stupid amounts of money they make in the JP market alone, just to keep face up.

It was fun for me until the screwed up the Multiplayer. I used to be able to just find games by searching, then they had done something to the game where you have to either set up the MP groups before hand or use line and I didn't want to download a seperate messaging app to play an important part of the game.

Once I couldn't just log in and search for MP games easily anymore I pretty much stopped playing because I didn't feel that the devs were making choices that made sense for the western version of the game.

Other devs like A-Team (Unison League and Valkyrie connect), Namco, SE, Gamevil, Com2US and Nexon seem to find plenty of success globally.

Quonny

The west seems to only care about existing properties. Like the Family Guy games do amazing, SAO game is kicking ass, and so on.

FGO will be fine. And then you have games like Valkyrie Connect that do well because Ateam are smart. They constantly update the community, and even go on Reddit and say "VC is doing fine, we have no plans to shut down". Just little things like that go a long way.

ReaperXL7

The west seems to only care about existing properties. Like the Family Guy games do amazing, SAO game is kicking ass, and so on.

FGO will be fine. And then you have games like Valkyrie Connect that do well because Ateam are smart. They constantly update the community, and even go on Reddit and say "VC is doing fine, we have no plans to shut down". Just little things like that go a long way.

I won't say this isn't true at all because it's only natural for people to be drawn to properties they know or care about, but it's not always. One of the biggest games here in the west has been a game called Summoners War published by Com2us, which isn't based on any exsisting property. The majority of what Com and Gamevil put out are original games and they don't seem to run into many issues with the popularity of their games.

The difference though (like you pointed out with A-team) is that devs like them promote their games, interact with the communities of their games, and don't treat their global versions like afterthoughts.

I think in the entire time monster strike has been out here I might have seen one ad for it, and it did at one point have a pretty solid rating on IOS until they changed how MP worked. After they did that the ratings took a pretty big dive and I stopped hearing people talk about it as much.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was just looking around to discuss the shit show that was US Monster Strike. I played a lot at release and spent a good amount of money. Removing online multiplayer and requiring you to play local was the absolute biggest fuck up ever. The whole "bowling alley pizza party" garbage was an absolute insult to those of us who played the game.

On top of that, the gacha rates were hot garbage because they expected you to pull only a few good units and rely on friends to work together to complete the ultra difficult content. Lack of free orbs and slow trickle content were also huge factors.

Too bad - game play and mechanics were actually a lot of fun. But they fucked up so many other aspects of that game...

HawthorneKitty

I wouldn't start giving praise the Gamevil since they localized million Arthur hecka late and closed it down in no time.

ReaperXL7

I wouldn't start giving praise the Gamevil since they localized million Arthur hecka late and closed it down in no time.

Wait....this game was localized by Gamevil?

https://youtu.be/BobnKtYy8K4

I thought it seemed cool when I messed with it on the JPN store but I was told there was no English version awhile back. I had only ever seen Squares names attached to it.

Honestly I was only really talking about their original games because I wasn't aware they had published anyone else's games.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm still baffled by the decision to remove online co-op. What were they losing by keeping it in?

There's really no good reason. Their statement was such a fucking joke:

Vision Behind Changes

XFLAG Studio's mission revolves around providing exciting content for friends and family to enjoy together. Monster Strike's greatest moments are often found when hanging out with friends. The memory of the first unfortunate run-in with a damage wall, or the miracle shot that turned certain defeat into sweet victory.

It was not our intent for Social Media and Global matchmaking to send a mixed message about the game's core values, and we apologize for any frustration players may feel. But we felt now was the only time to bring the game full circle and focus on the human experience--going bowling with friends, hanging out at the arcades, playing games over a couple slices of pizza.

There are already plans to add many new features and events based around playing together. It goes without saying that these changes are huge and may be hard to digest. However, after many long discussions, the team felt that this change was necessary to bring people together for a better and more personal experience.

Thank you for playing Monster Strike. May there be many more days of Happy Striking with family and friends!

This is how you ruin your game. Removing the core online functionality and replacing it with something that DOES NOT WORK anywhere but in Japan.

Jeffrey

Did monster strike ever separate from line match making? Was a huge pain. And people in the world outside of Japan doesn't use it.

It kept opening new tabs in Safari on iOS too lol.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Wow. Just as I thought about giving Monster Strike another chance (I had to go through account recovery and give them a bunch of details, as I lost my account), and having it restored, they announce the closure of the game. :/

http://us.monster-strike.com/news/monster_strike_closure_announcement.html

Honestly, Monster Strike should have done much better than it did. Them pulling/removing LINE effectively killed the game for many (the poor gatcha rates didn't help) and, while they did revert their change later on, by that point it was too late. I know it's why I left, and thought of trying it again but it's for naught, I guess. First Chain Chronicle, then White Cat Project/Rune Story, and now Monster Strike. All three of these are (still) extremely popular in Japan. The fact that their English localizations failed is disappointing.

I really hope Fate G/O is handled well. :(

The most surprising thing is that I assumed that the costs associated with making an English version were relatively trivial when all the assets were being designed for the Japanese version first. How much could it cost to localize and host the servers? Apparently too much.

yuuki

Did monster strike ever separate from line match making? Was a huge pain. And people in the world outside of Japan doesn't use it.

It kept opening new tabs in Safari on iOS too lol.

but thats more of an sign that ios/safari just sucks since it doesnt need to so on android ;)

casiopao

The world taste on mobile game sadly is so far different against Japan mobile game....wait it is just like the retail game problem too lol.^^

Shouta

The most surprising thing is that I assumed that the costs associated with making an English version were relatively trivial when all the assets were being designed for the Japanese version first. How much could it cost to localize and host the servers? Apparently too much.

Dev work to make a US version and the cost of a support staff to handle it is no small amount.

Jeffrey

What are actual successful western localization of gacha games?

Summoner wars is still up on the charts. Brave frontier and assorted ff games and puzzle dragon seem to be in top 100 grossing most of the time in the US.

Dbz seems to be doing OK too.

Any others I'm missing?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Summoner wars is still up on the charts. Brave frontier and assorted ff games and puzzle dragon seem to be in top 100 grossing most of the time in the US.

Any others I'm missing?

Any gacha that is successful here, basically, since so few are launched with a global server. Tbh the success of Summoner wars defies explanation. I tried to get into it but it seemed like so many other games.

MiTYH

Any others I'm missing?

One Piece Treasure Cruise, similar to DBZ, is doing fine (minus recent controversy changing a feature). Final Fantasy Record Keeper is doing well too, great support from DeNA. Not sure on the other FF games, I dropped them.

ReaperXL7

Any others I'm missing?

Namco seems to be seeing success with stuff like Sword Art, Tales of link, Naruto etc. I'm assuming of course since they have never released hard numbers but it seems like they are trying to make global launches closer to their Japanese equivalent sooner then they ever had in the past.

Companies like Com2us makes stuff like Summoners War, Soul Seeker, and Seven Knights.

Gamevil has stuff like Dragon Blaze, Zenonia, etc.

I'm sure Square is seeming success with their various FF games.

A-Team has Unison league and Valkyrie Connect.

The thing about these games is that the devs usually seem to involve their community teams on things like Reddit or Facebook. Com2Us, A-Team, Gamevil all support their newer games by advertising on the older games as well as utilizing Facebook and other social media.

Compare that to a company like Sega who tosses games like Hortensia and War Pirates to some small company to release globally and then wash their hands of them till they are dead and it makes a difference.

Salex_

Any gacha that is successful here, basically, since so few are launched with a global server. Tbh the success of Summoner wars defies explanation. I tried to get into it but it seemed like so many other games.

It's definitely one of the most polished gacha games out there. I came back after a year or so break and I was surprised by the amount of positive changes addressing the problems I had in the past. Fast forward 9+ months later, I'm playing it every day and it's still getting better every month.

I think the reason why it's successful is because you're continually given opportunities to pull for new monsters, the polish, good designs, and it always feels like your progressing towards something. It's fun to get a new monster, try out new different builds, and find a way to use them one of your many PVE and PVP teams.

They've made it a lot easier for newer/mid game players in the last few months as well, so that's probably bringing in new players and convincing people to keep playing the game.

Jeffrey

Wonder if there are any good studies out there. I assume western folks prefer better gacha rates and more freebies. Probably way harder to convince to open the wallet than sad Japanese salarymen xD

Brave frontier is the only gacha ive spent money on over the years due to the rates. When you can generally get what you want in a rate up in $50 of pulls, it's compelling for me. Beats some games where $400 is the average to get the hot new stuff.

ReaperXL7

Wonder if there are any good studies out there. I assume western folks prefer better gacha rates and more freebies. Probably way harder to convince to open the wallet than sad Japanese salarymen xD

Brave frontier is the only gacha ive spent money on over the years due to the rates. When you can generally get what you want in a rate up in $50 of pulls, it's compelling for me. Beats some games where $400 is the average to get the hot new stuff.

I can definitely say that for myself, the more generous a dev is the more likely I am to support them with my money. If I get the feeling the devs are stacking the deck against me as a way to get me to spend money I'll drop the game.

Kettch

Summoner's War global is also pretty old right? It probably felt pretty fresh when it came out, and built up it's base from there.

Jeffrey

Summoner's War global is also pretty old right? It probably felt pretty fresh when it came out, and built up it's base from there.

Needs more than age though. Think they perfected the endless grind format similar to gbf.

Compels people to keep playing.

These days if there is any downtime, there's like a dozen new gacha games on the market every month lol.

Kitoro

I'm still confused after reading their statement regarding focusing on playing with friends and family. Did they remove online play in favor of a local multiplayer mode via Bluetooth or something?

Thanks!

darklin0

Banned
So Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle finally got me hooked. Been playing the Japanese version on and off for a while now but somehow in the span of 4 days I have gone from level 35 to 130. Bless the triple xp event.

My friend who has been actively playing it is pretty irritated at me because I gained about 900 stones to pull in the current gacha. Managed to roll some really good stuff while he got absolutely nothing.

His jealousy and the favorable rolls in the gacha are fueling me to keep on playing this game.

HawthorneKitty

For people that played Monster Strike for a long time, do they usually bring back collabs with new ascensions like they are doing now for Yu Yu Hakusho?

fek

For people that played Monster Strike for a long time, do they usually bring back collabs with new ascensions like they are doing now for Yu Yu Hakusho?
They have done that with Evangelion (and kinda Godzilla along with this one) and Street Fighter so far.
Doraemon always comes back but you can never get the previous monsters. Saint Seiya, Final Fantasy, Marvel Tsum Tsum, Ultraman, Lupin, TMNT haven't come back yet.

Top Bottom