• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Mobile Gacha Games: Gatcha hand on your wallet and I'm never letting go!

Quonny

#AniplexLive returns TOMORROW, 6/21, at 2:00PM Pacific Time!
Join us at twitch.tv/aniplexusa as we talk Fate Grand Order USA, Anime Expo®, and new releases! We've got an all new team so you won't want to miss it! We might even have some giveaways

Curious timing, what with the FGO Facebook page only 200 likes away from hitting that 50k mark for "big news".

Jeffrey

with rates being bad... think ill just pay someone to reroll me a meta character in FGO lol.

is it an easy game to reroll, at least on rooted android? can you just delete some save file thing?

chrono01

Heh, strange timing. I literally just started this game again today. I'm only going to play it casually, but I want to go through the upcoming Yoko Taro-written story, so I felt compelled to give it a download.

I actually played it a long time ago (year+) but I lost interest. Maybe the new additions will help keep my attention longer. Terra Battle 2 sounds fun, though. I'll give it a try when it's released.

Curious timing, what with the FGO Facebook page only 200 likes away from hitting that 50k mark for "big news".
Maybe their "big surprise" is an early launch? Hey, a man can dream.

Rixa

Heh, strange timing. I literally just started this game again today. I'm only going to play it casually, but I want to go through the upcoming Yoko Taro-written story, so I felt compelled to give it a download.

I actually played it a long time ago (year+) but I lost interest. Maybe the new additions will help keep my attention longer. Terra Battle 2 sounds fun, though. I'll give it a try when it's released.

Maybe their "big surprise" is an early launch? Hey, a man can dream.

Funny thing is that I never tried Terra Battle. Nor actually sure how the combat etc works in that gacha game. Maybe I should check it.

chrono01

Funny thing is that I never tried Terra Battle. Nor actually sure how the combat etc works in that gacha game. Maybe I should check it.
It's kind of like Puzzle and Dragons, where when you slide your finger along the field it "pushes" other characters to where you previously were. You do this to set up combo's, where if a character is in a line to the one attacking (by pincer-ing the enemy) they're added to the attack. You have a time limit when you first start dragging the character you choose, so you have to plot your move ahead of time and shift characters where you want before finally settling your chosen character in their spot. It's fun, and as mentioned, feels different than games of its kind.

The story is...okay, I guess. It kind of just drops you in the middle of it though, and reads more like a novel than other gatcha games. Small little bits of story/dialogue, and then gameplay. Rinse/Repeat.

I can't sit down and play long sessions of it, it's more of one of those games where I pick up, do a few stages, and then put it down. It's not that you can't sit there and dedicate time to it (as much as your stamina allows anyway), I just find myself getting a bit bored if I do.

There's a lot added to the game since I last quit though, so I'm kind of having to re-learn it all over again. With Fate/GO hitting on Sunday, I know that's probably going to kill the game for me, at least for the immediate. Going all-in on that one, after I re-roll for several hours/days/etc. for the character I choose. Should be fun?

Are evo mats only attainable through gacha?
For Fate/GO? Honestly, I don't even know if you can evolve, as I haven't read up on it much (other than the bare basics). If you can, I'm pretty sure the gatcha isn't evolved. You can get items that you can equip to your character, but that's about it.

Unless I'm wrong, that's possible. As I said, I'm not entirely knowledgable of the game, but I'm excited to know more come Sunday.

Any downside of getting the APK for Fate/GO when the game launches later this week?
Because I am in Europe and there is no release date yet. Chances of being banned or something? Will progress be lost when the game launches in Europe? Should be the same servers anyways, eh?

Really looking forward to try the game out.

Azusa

Any downside of getting the APK for Fate/GO when the game launches later this week?
Because I am in Europe and there is no release date yet. Chances of being banned or something? Will progress be lost when the game launches in Europe? Should be the same servers anyways, eh?

Really looking forward to try the game out.

No downsides. I'm playing jp ver the same way. Every time there is an update I just download a new version. You wont be banned or something like that. Its completely safe.

For Fate/GO? Honestly, I don't even know if you can evolve, as I haven't read up on it much (other than the bare basics). If you can, I'm pretty sure the gatcha isn't evolved. You can get items that you can equip to your character, but that's about it.

You can limit break servants. Mats are farmed from story/special quests or events. The same mats are used for servants skill level up.

Also:
For the NA Server Pre-Launch Campaign
Beginning of a Journey CE [Unlocked]
6K FP [Unlocked]
10 Gold EXP [Unlocked]
10 Atk & 10 HP Fous [Unlocked]
SABER LILY [SMILE PROTECTED]
5 Quartz [Unlocked]
10 More Quartz [Unlocked]
15 Additional Quartz [Unlocked]
3 More Bonus Quartz [Unlocked]
3 Extra Bonus Quartz [Unlocked]
3 ULTRA SUPER EXTRA BONUS QUARTZ [Unlocked]
3 More Quartz + Big News [Unlocked]
42 Total Quartz [Unlocked]

chrono01

You can limit break servants. Mats are farmed from story/special quests or events. The same mats are used for servants skill level up.

Also:
Well, there we have it! Thanks for the clarification!

Also, all of those goodies! I'm assuming it's 5 Quartz per single roll? If so, that's at least 8 pulls per re-roll, not taking into account anything you get for running through the tutorial itself + first login. Maybe we'd have enough for a multi-pull, that'd certainly make re-rolling easier!

Yu Narukami

Fate looks interesting. The only thing that bothers me is no auto-battle. Makes farming mats more tedious when you do the same stage over and over again.

linkent

How many pulls is that?
Got this on reddit.
How many Quartz does it cost for a multi pulls?

Do we have multi/10pulls in this game?
Yes, 30 quartz fot 10 pulls.

Any benefit like guaranteed 4*/10+1 in multi?
You are garanted to get at least 1 servant and 1 4* or higher card on a 10 pull. Both are independent from each other, so the gold card can (and most of the time will) be a Craft Escense.

Does the game have any "sugofest/dokkan exclusive " where we can only get certain characters on their banner and/or double rate for 5*?
Yes. The game has multiple limited 5* (and a few limited 4*) that can only be pulled when they are specifically featured. They usually get a rate up when that happens, so you are more likely to pull them if you get to summon the correct rarity. There are also story locked servants that can only be summoned on the story gacha (diferent from the event gacha which is the one that usually has the rate ups) after finishing the the diferent chapters. they can be summoned on the event gacha if they have an specific rate up though.

U/Sir_Dargor

chrono01

Got this on reddit.
How many Quartz does it cost for a multi pulls?

Do we have multi/10pulls in this game?
Yes, 30 quartz fot 10 pulls.

Any benefit like guaranteed 4*/10+1 in multi?
You are garanted to get at least 1 servant and 1 4* or higher card on a 10 pull. Both are independent from each other, so the gold card can (and most of the time will) be a Craft Escense.

Does the game have any "sugofest/dokkan exclusive " where we can only get certain characters on their banner and/or double rate for 5*?
Yes. The game has multiple limited 5* (and a few limited 4*) that can only be pulled when they are specifically featured. They usually get a rate up when that happens, so you are more likely to pull them if you get to summon the correct rarity. There are also story locked servants that can only be summoned on the story gacha (diferent from the event gacha which is the one that usually has the rate ups) after finishing the the diferent chapters. they can be summoned on the event gacha if they have an specific rate up though.

U/Sir_Dargor
Thanks for this!

Wait, multi-pulls are only 30? Nice. That makes single pulls 3 quartz, or do you get a discount for doing the multi? Great to see us get a free multi-pull (and then some) for a new account. We'll need it, if the rates are as bad as they say. :/

linkent

Thanks for this!

Wait, multi-pulls are only 30? Nice. That makes single pulls 3 quartz, or do you get a discount for doing the multi? Great to see us get a free multi-pull (and then some) for a new account. We'll need it, if the rates are as bad as they say. :/
Someone said that the initial release is 4 for 1.
Not sure whether multi is 40 for 10 on release.
At least it will be easier to reroll with a multi/reset.
Just hold the gems till double rate banner.

chrono01

Someone said that the initial release is 4 for 1.
Not sure whether multi is 40 for 10 on release.
At least it will be easier to reroll with a multi/reset.
Just hold the gems till double rate banner.
Sounds good!

I'll be hoarding those quartz after I do my initial re-rolls. Hopefully that doesn't take too long, but I'm prepared to sink a few days into it if I need to. That's assuming the servers hold, I know a lot of people are interested in playing this one...

Psyfer

Been playing South Park Phone Destroyer for about 30 mins now. Kind of reminds me of Clash Royale, but the playfield is horizontal. I haven't done any kind of PvP (not sure if it exists even) but I'm having fun with the campaign. Enemies can spawn in behind you, and it takes time for your summoned units to get back there to fight them off, calling for a bit of thought about using all your cards ASAP.

Mana/Energy regens Clash Royale style, and cards return to your hand once they die or right after you use them in the case of one-off spells like Fireballs.

Edit: Realized I'm blind and there is an option that says PvP fights haha.

Azusa

Sounds good!

I'll be hoarding those quartz after I do my initial re-rolls. Hopefully that doesn't take too long, but I'm prepared to sink a few days into it if I need to. That's assuming the servers hold, I know a lot of people are interested in playing this one...

Yeah dont use quartz if its not a limited gatcha. I think we should have one free x10 initial roll for rerolls and it should be enough to get good start. I will be hoarding quartz for the first good limited gatcha event.

At start materials and exp will be hard to get so its actually useless to roll more servants if you dont plan to use quartz to refresh stamina and farm mats over and over. Its more efficient to wait for events and slowly roll for more servants.

MiTYH

Oh god, not looking forward to the reroll grind. I saw a tier list on reddit which will help, hopefully I won't have to go through too much to get a decent starting lineup.

It's this sunday, right?

Azusa

Oh god, not looking forward to the reroll grind. I saw a tier list on reddit which will help, hopefully I won't have to go through too much to get a decent starting lineup.

It's this sunday, right?

Yes this sunday. Reroll can be hell or very fast and easy depends on what servants are you planning to get.

South Park Phone Destroyer just soft launched in some netherland countries. I think Canada is tomorrow too. I believe it's gacha like? I checked out the subreddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/SouthParkPhone) and it seems to show energy and legendaries. Not sure much on gameplay yet, I don't feel like making a 4th account to test this. But I'll probably try it in a day or two when it's live in canada

Can anyone create a thread for this? Play it now in Germany, VPN works with it.

Psyfer

Yeah, South Park Phone Destroyer is pretty much a Clash Royale clone. Sad, cause I'm enjoying the campaign, but the PvP is insane already. It seems like people already went crazy with buying things to upgrade their cards. Even though I'm using (in most cases) the exact same cards, I'm still losing because of how much more HP units have when they're upgraded.

I quit Clash Royale because of the huge advantage paying players have, and it looks like this will be the same deal. Dropping it after I finish all the campaign levels.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Yeah, South Park Phone Destroyer is pretty much a Clash Royale clone. Sad, cause I'm enjoying the campaign, but the PvP is insane already. It seems like people already went crazy with buying things to upgrade their cards. Even though I'm using (in most cases) the exact same cards, I'm still losing because of how much more HP units have when they're upgraded.

I quit Clash Royale because of the huge advantage paying players have, and it looks like this will be the same deal. Dropping it after I finish all the campaign levels.

As someone who has played thousands of matches in Clash Royale and 2 hours into SPPD so far, I really wouldn't call it a clash royale clone. Yeah, you have mana/energy that regenerates and you place units that have a certain energy cost, but there are hundreds of games like that. What separates CR from SP is that CR's fights are much tighter and less chaotic, which allows for more strategy. So far I'm finding SP's PVP kind of a mess.

That said, I'm having a lot of fun with the game, and it's pretty funny.

Psyfer

As someone who has played thousands of matches in Clash Royale and 2 hours into SPPD so far, I really wouldn't call it a clash royale clone. Yeah, you have mana/energy that regenerates and you place units that have a certain energy cost, but there are hundreds of games like that. What separates CR from SP is that CR's fights are much tighter and less chaotic, which allows for more strategy. So far I'm finding SP's PVP kind of a mess.

That said, I'm having a lot of fun with the game, and it's pretty funny.

Either way, it's unlikely that pure F2P players will stand a chance in higher rank PVP without a serious time investment, and that's a giant turn off for me. I am having fun with the campaign, but even that is getting tough to the point where I've gone back to earlier stages to do some grinding. The catch is, grinding old stages raises their difficulty, and I am slowly running out of stages I can actually complete with the cards I have.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Either way, it's unlikely that pure F2P players will stand a chance in higher rank PVP without a serious time investment, and that's a giant turn off for me. I am having fun with the campaign, but even that is getting tough to the point where I've gone back to earlier stages to do some grinding. The catch is, grinding old stages raises their difficulty, and I am slowly running out of stages I can actually complete with the cards I have.

Yeah I don't doubt that at all. I was crushed by a guy with some super cards as well :) Can't you redo old stages at any difficulty? I haven't tried yet.

Quonny

Just tried this game, Lucky Strike.

It's pretty fun, and the gameplay is familiar but has some neat twists. You basically have a 'slot machine' that you roll in the beginning of a fight, then for the rest of the turn you make matches, like a match 3, but it's a slot machine. Oh and the production values are high.

Too bad it's probably dead before it even gets off the ground and FGO is out in four days.

Psyfer

Yeah I don't doubt that at all. I was crushed by a guy with some super cards as well :) Can't you redo old stages at any difficulty? I haven't tried yet.

I don't think you can choose a difficulty. Trying to slide the little difficulty meter arrow doesn't work and I don't see any options for it.

Well, I have a blast at the moment with the new South Park app. The humor is fantastic, the cellphone messaging game setting too and the action card gameplay is addicting as fuck.

It's still a beta, you can give direct feedback to the developers in the play store.

I would still like a single topic for the beta. ^^

chrono01

Aniplex USA just confirmed on stream that Fate/GO will not be censored in any way. I know it's been said before, but it's nice to see further confirmation, especially this close to launch.

Also, "big news" for players on Monday, apparently.

Uthred

It's this sunday, right?

Do you happen to have a link to that list?

chrono01

Concerning gatcha games, I'm genuinely surprised more of them don't adopt Granblue Fantasy's method of selling the occasional ticket for a ten-pull, as well as an additional ticket that let's you choose any currently-available characters in the gatcha, that interests you.

I get why some gatcha companies don't employ this, since it's easier for whales to whale when there's no guarantee, but you'd think they would earn more revenue overall by having a feature such as this, as it would draw in whales as well as dolphins, and soon-to-be dolphins. Honestly, I'd spend a lot more if more had this system in-place, and considering the power creep of many of these gatcha games, it's not as though new characters wouldn't be released shortly after, that would encourage the spenders to continue to spend (either for the aforementioned power creep, or because it's one of your favorite characters).

As it is, I remain F2P in 99% of the gatcha games I play (I very rarely spend money), but if they had offers such as the one I mentioned that's available in GBF, I'd easily spend monthly purchases to show my support. I find it difficult to spend money as it is now, given the price for in-game currency being as high as it is and no guarantee to fall back on. :/

uncensored?

someone tell me something to google to see whats up.
A lot of the character design can skew towards the "lewd" side of things, not to mention the story content itself.

Take, for example, the character "Jack the Ripper". She's scantily-clad (basically just panties for her lower half), and her backstory involves
killing prostitutes, despite being born from a dead prostitute herself
. So yeah, somewhat dark. At least we know the content won't be altered, which is always great to see when it comes to localizations. Here's hoping they retain that same belief as further content is released, but I can't see them changing their mind after the fact.

Top Bottom