• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

vanty

that mayu gif is terrifying because don't people normally blink when putting on eyeware? she doesn't even bat an eyelash.
I just quickly tried with both my glasses and sunglasses and not blinking seems pretty natural to me ahah.

Finally decided to check out Charisma.com and TEMPURA KIDZ because of that one song they were together. TEMPURA KIDZ are frightening D; and Charisma.com is pretty good.
The kid with the weird hat on is a boy by the way. I don't know if that's a surprise for everyone but I definitely didn't notice until I read an interview quite a while after seeing that video and a couple others for the first time.

re: tricot, mind = blown. I like that it calls back to the lighter, less intense temperament characteristic of the first mini album. Songs are great, super catchy. The mish mash of drum production was noticeable for me but didn't detract from the album. I still think it would have been a better idea to just keep it with one hired gun (Komaki only). Anyways, it was nice to hear the subtle introduction of different instruments throughout the album as well. You can tell they didn't just want to write the same album over again. I would have loved for there to be another Hiromi number like on the single. Kida also deserves like... a guitar solo track or something. I can't help but think that T H E will be their technical and emotional peak, but A N D is still fantastic. Will be sinking my teeth into it for the rest of the weekend.

also, consider this a hookup.

I totally didn't expect this. I basically thought it sounded like the new Negoto, where I thought it was going to be experimental jam rock. You will literally be nodding your head to a track that is casually panning "ass" all over your speakers.

short version of a new aquarifa track off their upcoming mini album.

I like it.

So apparently with Namie Amuro announcing a new tour starting in September this year, that must mean we must be getting a new album soon?!?!?
Argggghhhhhhh yessssssssss! Might be another summer release like last year, I need info already!
She's only released two singles (which included her digital singles) since her last album, I'm hoping the album will revolve around her songs like Ballerina and Neonlight Lipstick. Those songs are so fun.

Oh damn, I hope the tour dates match up with my vacation in Japan. Would love to go see her live.

New album would be great too.

So apparently with Namie Amuro announcing a new tour starting in September this year, that must mean we must be getting a new album soon?!?!?
Argggghhhhhhh yessssssssss! Might be another summer release like last year, I need info already!
She's only released two singles (which included her digital singles) since her last album, I'm hoping the album will revolve around her songs like Ballerina and Neonlight Lipstick. Those songs are so fun.

I'm going to guess the album is in August. She was spotted flying between Japan and New York, so she's definitely recording. I want a more R&B sound from this album, I await the return of the Queen of Hip-Pop.

A few of her old tours were uploaded to YT yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DXrDt0i5OA

You live in Japan, Mezzo? Go to concerts often?

I am waiting on my tricot CD..

NorCal, USA. Amazon Japan just delivers like REALLY fast haha. Show-going life isn't so active these days due to a prohibitive schedule, unfortunately. I would love to go to Japan one of these days, for both music and arcades.

Peru

re: tricot, mind = blown. I like that it calls back to the lighter, less intense temperament characteristic of the first mini album. Songs are great, super catchy. The mish mash of drum production was noticeable for me but didn't detract from the album. I still think it would have been a better idea to just keep it with one hired gun (Komaki only). Anyways, it was nice to hear the subtle introduction of different instruments throughout the album as well. You can tell they didn't just want to write the same album over again. I would have loved for there to be another Hiromi number like on the single. Kida also deserves like... a guitar solo track or something. I can't help but think that T H E will be their technical and emotional peak, but A N D is still fantastic. Will be sinking my teeth into it for the rest of the weekend.

Yeah I'm impressed and surprised by how the variation on display. All the bases are covered and yet this collection of songs feels like a friendly embrace already. The exquisite emotional chords they hit with songs like CBG and QFF.. their attention to detail and way with subtle turns of melody is second to none.

I've been really enthusiastic and almost wanted to say it's as good as THE.. but I mean, THE is one of the best of the millennium and one of my all time goats so I doubt it. It's even better than I hoped for though and already on its way to becoming the most spun record of the year.

I'm going to guess the album is in August. She was spotted flying between Japan and New York, so she's definitely recording. I want a more R&B sound from this album, I await the return of the Queen of Hip-Pop.

A few of her old tours were uploaded to YT yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DXrDt0i5OA

I do love her R&B sound, that's what got me to listening to her in the first place. Style was my first album from her.
Great thing about Namie, is she seems to change a bit with each album. Who knows what this album may end up like!
I sure am excited though.

Speaking of old tours, I remember seeing a video of her performing Go!Go! at Live Style 2006, but it's not on my Blu-Ray. Would love to see that in HD.

Edit: Holy crap! Style was released in 2003!!!!! I'm feeling old.

Aizo

Banned
NorCal, USA. Amazon Japan just delivers like REALLY fast haha. Show-going life isn't so active these days due to a prohibitive schedule, unfortunately. I would love to go to Japan one of these days, for both music and arcades.

Insanely fast delivery. What the hell. Anyway, while I'm waiting for my shipment, I'll give it a listen now. tricot should take away the pain of homework.

Aizo

Banned
A N D is very good. ぱい〜ん A N D ver. is one of my favorites so far. I'll have to listen to the album again when I can give it more focus. Maybe at work tonight.

I've been really enthusiastic and almost wanted to say it's as good as THE.. but I mean, THE is one of the best of the millennium and one of my all time goats so I doubt it.

definitely. T H E is an indie masterpiece.

Insanely fast delivery. What the hell. Anyway, while I'm waiting for my shipment, I'll give it a listen now. tricot should take away the pain of homework.

math homework??? (sorry, had to). When I order from CDJapan I find that the most cost effective express option for me is FedEx International Priority. Amazon/DHL is faster for sure, but I can expect my stuff within four days usually.

Soko ni Naru is cool btw. Ultra high energy. Will check them out more.

Kansoku

Best albums/EPs/Mini albums (everything but singles, really) of the year so far?

tricot - A N D, indigo la End - 幸せが溢れたら, イツエ - 「今夜絶対」, and maybe SHISHAMO - SHISHAMO 2 (a.k.a the only ones I picked up so far xP)

so far I guess I have to say Oomori Seiko & Pink Tokarev, Dempagumi.inc- WWDD, Shiritsu Ebisu Chuugaku - Kinpachi, and Wata Megumi - Sainanda Wa

I've only listened to the new Tricot once, the new Daoko hasn't grabbed me yet, and the Hanae album is good but I doubt it'll make my year end list.

Kurita

Best albums/EPs/Mini albums (everything but singles, really) of the year so far?
Not ranked :

KANA-BOON - TIME
ONE OK ROCK - 35xxxv
The Cheserasera - WHATEVER WILL BE, WILL BE
ねごと - VISION
indigo la End - 幸せが溢れたら
the chef cooks me - RGBとその真ん中
Kidori Kidori - El Urbano
BIGMAMA - The Vanishing Bride
FOLKS - SNOWTOWN
Mrs. GREEN APPLE - Progressive
SHISHAMO - SHISHAMO 2
テスラは泣かない。- ONE
LAMP IN TERREN - silver lining
キュウソネコカミ - ハッピーポンコツランド
KNOCK OUT MONKEY - Mr. Foundation
FACT - KTHEAT
Chapter line - 夜が終わり
UQiYO - TWILIGHT
this is not a business - THIS IS NOT A BUSINESS
フラワーカンパニーズ - Stayin’ Alive
Suck a Stew Dry - モラトリアムスパイラル
GRAPEVINE - Burning tree
東京カランコロン - UTUTU
SEKAI NO OWARI - Tree
Sugar’s Campaign - FRIENDS
ジョゼ - Sekirara
空想委員会 - 空想片恋枕草子
荒川ケンタウロス - 玉子の王様

CAipufTU8AAIV_7.jpg

NECRONOMIDOL's third single is out Apr. 3. They're also scouting for new member(s), the new song can be heard in the background: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAoKz76OcWc

Not ranked :

KANA-BOON - TIME
ONE OK ROCK - 35xxxv
The Cheserasera - WHATEVER WILL BE, WILL BE
ねごと - VISION
indigo la End - 幸せが溢れたら
the chef cooks me - RGBとその真ん中
Kidori Kidori - El Urbano
BIGMAMA - The Vanishing Bride
FOLKS - SNOWTOWN
Mrs. GREEN APPLE - Progressive
SHISHAMO - SHISHAMO 2
テスラは泣かない。- ONE
LAMP IN TERREN - silver lining
キュウソネコカミ - ハッピーポンコツランド
KNOCK OUT MONKEY - Mr. Foundation
FACT - KTHEAT
Chapter line - 夜が終わり
UQiYO - TWILIGHT
this is not a business - THIS IS NOT A BUSINESS
フラワーカンパニーズ - Stayin’ Alive
Suck a Stew Dry - モラトリアムスパイラル
GRAPEVINE - Burning tree
東京カランコロン - UTUTU
SEKAI NO OWARI - Tree
Sugar’s Campaign - FRIENDS
ジョゼ - Sekirara
空想委員会 - 空想片恋枕草子
荒川ケンタウロス - 玉子の王様

I will check every.single.one of these out lol!
I love your taste in music.

Kurita

just purchased my first iTunes JP album. What a fucking nightmare lol.

I'm used to it now so I don't mind it anymore. Buying cards is still kinda bothersome but Japan-Codes got me covered.

New KANA-BOON single on May 13th! Their latest album is a gem, I really can't wait to see how they will improve and become even better.
Their new picture :
The drummer looks so slim on it :lol

I'm used to it now so I don't mind it anymore. Buying cards is still kinda bothersome but Japan-Codes got me covered.

setup was the real annoying part. I actually don't mind the whole gift card thing. The future issues basically come down to having to convert everything from AAC to MP3, move and re-tag everything so it's in line with the rest of my library which I manage in foobar2000.

Where are you getting your cards? Cause every website selling cards I know does a mark up.

Two accounts. Account "A" has my address and credit card info. Account "B" is just an email address basically.

- Buy gift certificate with "A" and have it emailed to "B"
- log into "B" via proxy (you can't buy mp3s without a japanese IP address), redeem gift certificate and purchase the music
- download the music with their MP3 download software, which conveniently doesn't require a jp IP and gives you the option to log in to .jp or .com

It's a hassle but you're literally just converting currency to store credit so there's no markup.

It's almost that time again

I look forward to Mayu winning 2 years in a row!

[IM]http://a.pomf.se/zbkxga.gif[/IMG]

There's never been a back to back winner, so the odds are stacked against Mayuyu. I think Sayanee has a legit shot of winning this year. Although she's obviously going to need a major bump since last year Mayuyu had nearly 100k more votes than she did. The other one to look out for is Takamina. Fans may want to send her out on a high note. Of course that's assuming that she even enters this year.

Another thing is that it's absolute bullshit that Nogizaka46 aren't allowed to compete when they put one of their members as a concurrent AKB member as well as have Rena as a concurrent member as N46. They'd tear up the rankings if they were allowed to compete.

Edit: And Rena just announced that she won't enter this year. That could change things quite a bit as some are convinced that her fans will now just switch their votes to Jurina, which would obviously increase her chances of winning dramatically.

Larsa

New DAOKO
Cool. I like it more than the previous single :) I guess the album should be out in a couple of hours. I find it interesting how she always tries to obscure part of her face.

New DAOKO
Cool. I like it more than the previous single :) I guess the album should be out in a couple of hours. I find it interesting how she always tries to obscure part of her face.

this has got to be the most she's ever shown her face in a video right?

I like the song. I hope this album grabs me more than Dimension.

--

BiSH - Spark (this time with the girls singing)

doesn't really inspire confidence, but it sounds like the girls can actually sing for the most part

Aizo

Banned
I really like the new Daoko song and MV.

Edit: Does anybody post Japanese music pickup pics anywhere (Kurita, I think I've got you covered with twitter and insta)?

Kurita

Today is a good day, new SAKANAMON and cinema staff :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x40I9xurXk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZOAj-OdboI

I've been listening A LOT to cinema staff lately. They were one of the first Japanese bands I discovered back when I was in middle school (so like 6-7 years ago :lol), I forgot how insanely good they were.

Oh man I forgot that The SALOVERS released another PV for their last album two weeks ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in7fNmcPLb8
What an amazing song... I'm still sad as fuck that they're now on hiatus. They really were one of the most promising bands of the 2010s, so much energy and raw talent.
They're only 23yo so I'm sure each member will pursue a nice music career, but The SALOVERS were such an incredible band... What a waste.

Larsa

After listening through it around three times, the new daoko album/the first DAOKO album (lol) is pretty fantastic. Whereas Dimension (which I really liked) felt a little too familiar at times, every song here feels really unique and immediately attention-grabbing.
She has really benefited from moving away from the same 4-5 producers featured on the Low High Who albums. The album is filled with songs containing delightful and interesting production and refreshing and dynamic song-structures (ゆめうつつ, JK and ぼく !). And some really hot bangerz. Daoko’s voice is pretty much flawless throughout and still fucking sugar for my ears (ないものねだり !!).
I feel bad for having somehow doubted this album. 水星 which was released a while ago ended up being my least favorite on the album. I think this might be my favorite Japanese music release of 2015 so far.
Playing きみ, 嫌 and 高い壁には幾千のドア on eternal repeat.

After listening through it around three times, the new daoko album/the first DAOKO album (lol) is pretty fantastic. Whereas Dimension (which I really liked) felt a little too familiar at times, every song here feels really unique and immediately attention-grabbing.

Perfect. That's exactly what I was hoping for. "familiar" was a bit of a bummer when it felt like she's someone who still has a lot of untapped potential.

e: morning update - forgot to load it on my phone last night :(

It's really good.

Top Bottom