• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Aizo

Banned
Yupp. Your interpretation is correct, kansoku.

Edit: I don't know if there are any other Japanese learners who watched エリンが挑戦/Erin's Challenge to learn Japanese, but I just saw the actress who played Erin in a Mr. Children music video for Hibiki. It looks like she's been in a few music videos. Kinda made me chuckle, so I thought I'd share.

P.S. If you're learning Japanese, it's a great, free resource.

Kurita

Hoshino Gen is bringing SUN to your life. Uplifting song to say the least. Dude never disappoints. Hope he'll release an album this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gcCRAl58u4

Takeshi Hosomi finally announced the name and members of his new band!
Ladies and gentlemen : MONOEYES
ypws7bR.jpg
(from left to right)
Drums - Ichise Masakazu (ASPARAGUS/the HIATUS)
Vocals/Guitar - Hosomi Takeshi (ELLEGARDEN/the HIATUS)
Guitar - Todaka Masafumi (ART-SCHOOL)
Bass/Chorus - Scott Murphy (Allister/Scott & Rivers)

Dunno why but I KNEW that Todaka would be in this band. Guess Hosomi heard my wish.
The announcement immediately became a trending topic in Japan :lol

First single on June 24 (same day as the HIATUS's new live DVD/BR). Their first album is almost done. HYPE
eS4duPE.jpg

01. My Instant Song
02. When I Was A King
03. What I Left Today

Aizo

Banned
Japanese bands I like never come anywhere near my town. Such is the mountain life. I'll move back to Japan in July, though, so I just have to wait a bit longer...

I'm sitting here, feeling like an idiot, because for 2 years, I've wallowed in despair. Despair because School Food Punishment(my favorite band for quite some time) broke up, and I thought I'd never hear anything new from them again.

Lo and behold, tonight, I find out that the vocalist is now a part of la la larks, which makes unbelievably rad music, and they've been around since SFP split. There's not much out there, but it made me unbelievably happy that I get to hear at least one of them making music like this again.

Aizo

Banned
Japanese bands I like never come anywhere near my country. Such is the 3rd world country life.
I think I've seen you post about this before, but where is this? Gotta go see some shows in Japan together!
I'm sitting here, feeling like an idiot, because for 2 years, I've wallowed in despair. Despair because School Food Punishment(my favorite band for quite some time) broke up, and I thought I'd never hear anything new from them again.

Lo and behold, tonight, I find out that the vocalist is now a part of la la larks, which makes unbelievably rad music, and they've been around since SFP split. There's not much out there, but it made me unbelievably happy that I get to hear at least one of them making music like this again.
When I saw them live, they played some unreleased tracks. Really lively, technically skilled, very fun band. I dig 'em. Their lead guitarist is incredible.

Kansoku

I think I've seen you post about this before, but where is this? Gotta go see some shows in Japan together!

Brazil. Even if they come, they would probably only go to like, São Paulo or Rio, even tough my city is one of the biggest of the country, and going to these cities is way out of hand from me.

I really want to move out of the country tho (to Canada for the time being), so once I do, I'll be able to see at least something =P

Listening to the new LLLL album Paradice atm. I like it a lot one of my favorites Japanese releases so far this year

just found out about this (Ano over there <----- is going to be in an upcoming video) and it's so good. so dreamy.

https://zoomlens.bandcamp.com/album/paradice-zl-21

e: also it looks like they have a new release coming out (not sure if it's a full-length, but it seems like it might be) and the song that video is for can be heard here

e2: it's out, it's called Faithful, and I'm all kinds of late to the party ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Aizo

Banned
Visual Kei shows are amazing.
I used to listen to a lot in middle and high school, but I mostly stuck with Jupiter and Femme Fatale. They're great.

Slowdive

Banned
I forget—am I the only one here that listens to Visual Kei?

I used to listen to quite a bit of visual kei, not so much anymore. X Japan were my favourite. Makes me laugh that since they've reunited they still haven't put a new album out, they keep saying it's "almost ready" and half of the album is meant to be re-recordings of old songs, when Luna Sea have got back together and put out a full album much quicker.

Peru

Not this improvement specifically, that was just a way overdue adjustment, but when Universal took over Perfume activities they def. specifically opened up content for internationally fans - including making the youtube channel worth something for us.

Aizo

Banned
Looks like I probably won't be seeing that many concerts the first year I'm back in Japan. Haha. I'm moving to a really random area.

well you convinced me to go back and listen to that first Dir en Grey album for the first time in many, many years.

I'm not unconvinced that it's the best thing they ever did? Definitely more interesting than when they went to kind of generic nu-metal

vvv haha that's not bad at all. I can get down with some power metal, and the silly visual kei trappings don't hurt either.

Aizo

Banned
It's obviously because I like Power Metal, but I got really into Versailles when I was in like 9th grade, and I still like them (now Jupiter, due to having a new, better singer). They're glorious.
latest

Jupiter - Birth of Venus

I suppose I still like Galneryus a bit better, though. Both are awesome Japanese Power Metal bands.

vanty

I really wish Hizaki just gave up on having vocalists and just did instrumentals. Curse of Virgo is still the best thing he's done, I've listened to those five songs probably more times than all the Versailles (except for Silent Knight) and Jupiter stuff combined.

I forget&#8212;am I the only one here that listens to Visual Kei?

i still listen to:
Merry
Alice 9 ( or A9 as they are called)
9Goats Black Out
Buck Tick
Blam honey
Blood
Rentrer en Soi
Despairs ray
Gazette
D= out
Deathgaze
Exist Trace
Kagrra,
Malice Mizer
Pierrot
Gigrugmesh
Gazzette
D
OZ

Aizo

Banned
i still listen to:
Merry
Alice 9 ( or A9 as they are called)
9Goats Black Out
Buck Tick
Blam honey
Blood
Rentrer en Soi
Despairs ray
Gazette
D= out
Deathgaze
Exist Trace
Kagrra,
Malice Mizer
Pierrot
Gigrugmesh
Gazzette
D
OZ
I like Malice Mizer. Classic. OZ is also great, and I have a Gazette poster in my room. Also, Kagrra, was one of my favorites of all time. The koto really made a lot of their songs unique and beautiful. Exist Trace is cool for not just looking like a female V-kei group, but actually being one hahah. They're also quite a bit heavier than most, which is nice.

So many of these are bringing back memories of middle school. I listened to so much V-Kei, and that's what ended up getting me into Death and Black Metal.

So I heard re: I am from aimer and thought it was good. Any recommendations of stuff like it.
That song is so epic. I have listened to it too many times. She has a few really epic pieces, and she also has a version of RE:I Am that she sang in a chapel, which is gorgeous. Maybe you wanna listen to some more epic j-pop songs, like GOUNN by Momoiro Clover Z. Honestly, just tell us what kind of music you like beyond Japanese stuff, and we'll find you many things you'll like. If you want more like Aimer, I'll think harder.

AdamT

Digital downloads of the new Envy album went out this morning via email. FLAC, MP3, etc versions as usual. Still a ways out for the cd and vinyl releases.

That song is so epic. I have listened to it too many times. She has a few really epic pieces, and she also has a version of RE:I Am that she sang in a chapel, which is gorgeous. Maybe you wanna listen to some more epic j-pop songs, like GOUNN by Momoiro Clover Z. Honestly, just tell us what kind of music you like beyond Japanese stuff, and we'll find you many things you'll like. If you want more like Aimer, I'll think harder.

In terms of Japanese musicians, I like L'arc en ciel and Chemistry a lot. I don't care for idol-style stuff much.

In terms of music in general: I have a pretty wide range in taste. The first type of music I got into was orchestral stuff, so I like wide, dynamic complex stuff. But I also like Jazz, blues rock, progressive rock. Some musicians I like are Led Zeppelin, Yes, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kenji Ito, Koichi Sugiyama, and Blind Guardian.

Hope that helps.

Aizo

Banned
In terms of Japanese musicians, I like L'arc en ciel and Chemistry a lot. I don't care for idol-style stuff much.

In terms of music in general: I have a pretty wide range in taste. The first type of music I got into was orchestral stuff, so I like wide, dynamic complex stuff. But I also like Jazz, blues rock, progressive rock. Some musicians I like are Led Zeppelin, Yes, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kenji Ito, Koichi Sugiyama, and Blind Guardian.

Hope that helps.
You just like Gundam music, huh? :p

If I got youtube links for everything, it would take me forever, so forgive me.
You like Blind Guardian, so I'll recommend some Japanese Power Metal I like in order of most favorite:
Power Metal
Galneryus, Versailles, Jupiter (current name of Versailles) (the lead guitarists from these groups both have their own solo projects: Syu and Hizaki Grace Project), Minstrelix, Aldious

Jazz
Tokyo Jihen (Jazzy rock), Soil & Pimp Sessions(this song has the singer of Tokyo Jihen as a guest), Katte ni Shiyagare, Little Fats & Swingin' Hot Shot Party (Gypsy Jazz), Mouse on the Keys, Lamp (Bossa Nova), Tokyo Active NEETs (these guys cover game music, but they're phenomenal!)

Prog Rock
One of the most influential groups is Yellow Magic Orchestra, without a doubt. If you like Yes, I'd imagine you'd like them, too. Hitorie, TK from Rin Toshite Shigure (Solo project of the singer from Rin Toshite Shigure, who are also prog), school food punishment, UVERworld does some prog stuff sometimes, I really think you'll like Gesu no Kiwami Otome.&#12288;Also, I think you'd like Shinsei Kamattechan.

Contemporary Classical
Ryuuichi Sakamoto is number one. One of the most influential artists in Japan, due to his time in Yellow Magic Orchestra and now solo. World's End Girlfriend (often times very experimental, but he does a lot of beautiful piano work), Kashiwa Daisuke another one of my favorite Japanese pianists&#8212;same label as WEG, so he does a lot of experimental stuff, too. Definitely also listen to Joe Hisaishi!

Complex/Experimental
You may also like Sound Horizon (here's the studio recorded version here). They're a kinda Prog Metal, Symphonic, Neoclassical shred opera with folk influences in a lot of songs. They do these huge musical (only musical, really) performances with actors, singers, and a big band.

Vampillia is Experimental Black Metal band with growling, operatic vocals, violin, piano, guitar, drums, bass. They're fucking awesome. They also sometimes do collaborations with amazing people, like Togawa Jun!

L'Arc~en~Ciel: You'd probably like some other old V-Kei groups, like Luna Sea

Let me know what you like and what you didn't like, so I can more finely tune my suggestions.

Kurita

French TV show toco toco had Rui Hashimoto as a guest in the latest episode.
https://youtu.be/SaXbtIhmCJs (English subs)

In case you don't know him : he's a photographer working with a ton of rock bands in Japan. Live shows, photoshoots... He's friend with the biggest rock artists of the country and has been a centerpiece of the scene for a while even though he's not a musician.
I've been a fan of his work for years, genuinely nice guy who loves what he does. Managed to say hi to him when ONE OK ROCK came in France two years ago, he was quite happy.
He also created the brand Stingray with Chatmonchy's bassist.

Based on the links you provided:

Galneryus: Fantastic song. Upbeat and melodious. Fun and upbeat. The right level of metal for me. Didn't become bogged down like a lot of the genre does.

Versailles: Reminded me a lot of Kenji Ito's work. It's pretty rad as well. Kind of reminds me of Dragon Force. Probably on the upper end of how "hard" I prefer things but was still pretty solid.

Jupiter: Again, probably another song on the upper limit of how much I like power metal but another fantastic piece. I love the part where it breaks for a solo. Wonderful. Very solid vocalist.

Tokyo Jihen: Didn't care for the vocalist here. Might just be the recording though, but she seemed bit screechy. The instrumentals are pretty good. I like my Jazz a little bit mellower though. Not too laid back. A little bit of an edge.

Soul and Pimp Sessions: Still not sold on the Tokyo Jihen vocalist though this was a much better outting for here than the last song, which supports my suspicion that was just a bad recording for her. This is more in line with what i like in jazz.

katte ni shiyagare: great song. I didn't care for the singer at first but i warmed up as the song went on. Great stuff here.

That's all I have time for now. Will check out the rest of your links later.

Top Bottom