• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Is Peru alive? I just saw gifs of Sasshi in a bikini, nice
I also saw dinosaurs on stage with members, again, nice.

tumblr_nqlx42f5Bg1sgvptro1_540.jpg

lol I wonder if those are the same dinosaurs Momoclo had show up during one of their shows

I love Sasshi but there's not much going on there to make bathing suit stuff that interesting :p

edit: saw the video... dat midriff tho

I liked Triathlon a lot but I'm glad it was kind of a one-off thing because there's something special about the Kenmochi/KOM_I combo that's kind of irreplaceable

Kurita

Yaaay, Hello Sleepwalkers and Kidori Kidori just got added to the HighApps show I'm going to see in Tokyo.
Two bands I don't really like are performing (Homecomings and ユナイテッドモンモンサン) but it's an amazing line-up : Hello Sleepwalkers, Kidori Kidori, THE ORAL CIGARETTES, LAMP IN TERREN, フレデリック and go!go!vanillas.

the fuck is his deal with being fixated on real names? probably 90%+ of japanese performers use pseudonyms, it's kind of a given

I think it's funny though, most of us have been on board with this stuff for years in some cases. if we had the motivation (and connections) any number of us could have written this article last year?

--

on a related note, I noticed that Moe and Ghosts kind of woke up a few months ago and even played live. I guess they're not dead? http://moeandghosts.com/

probably too much to ask for for a new album?

--

also also related, this Koutei Camera Girl album is rapidly consuming my life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsPhRDWkCrU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb6tap2nFIc

Slowdive

Banned
the fuck is his deal with being fixated on real names? probably 90%+ of japanese performers use pseudonyms, it's kind of a given

I think it's funny though, most of us have been on board with this stuff for years in some cases. if we had the motivation (and connections) any number of us could have written this article last year?

The name thing is funny. He wrote a similar article for MTV Iggy a few months ago. It's true this is old news for most of us (alot of articles on Japanese music are I guess) but at least this stuff is getting exposure.

Koutei Camera Girl are great, good to finally have an album after what feels like ages.

oh my god I know exactly which article you're talking about, but I didn't even bother to check who wrote it back when I read it

I remember being irritated because the video he picked for Suiyobi was Napoleon, aka the one video of theirs that doesn't have Kenmochi on it

you know, in a way, it's great that someone is doing the legwork on this stuff but I still want to bonk him on the head

--

only a month late, Sony decided to grace the rest of the world with the most recent Ebichu single/video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csJzMzMFiPE

Slowdive

Banned
Btw just because I think it's good artists are getting exposure it doesn't mean I think he's a good writer, I disagree with most of the reviews I've read of his and his Pitchfork review choices are baffling. Pitchfork readers don't go to the site to listen to stuff like AKB or Namie. He gave a 6.7 to Genic, who was that review for?

Kurita

A shame that him and Ian Martin are like the only writers you can find. They kinda sound like grumpy old men...
I don't pay much attention to music critics anyway, but still, it would be cool to have more people with different tastes.

Kurita

the telephones - Something Good
Lead track of their last album before the hiatus... :'(
Love that there are references to their previous videos.

バズマザーズ - 怒鳴りたい日本語
Pretty intense song. Discovered them last year when I was at Tower Records, it was a neat surprise. They have a somewhat dark/chaotic tone but it's still quite catchy and not depressing.
Looking forward to their new album!

Discovered DALLJUB STEP CLUB recently, they combine rap, dub, electro... I love their sound. Plus it's the vocalist from Alaska Jam!
https://youtu.be/XGBvjLAkhIw

SAKANAMON released a PV for TSUMANNE a few weeks ago, where the vocalist pretends he has a girlfriend. Really clever and funny video.
https://youtu.be/NVkwv5AHkWM

I never really liked E.T. that much, but I'd love to hear him sing with them.

Hnl8hQJ.gif

He gave a 6.7 to Genic, who was that review for?

I know that's a rhetorical question, but seriously. reviewing a mediocre album for an audience who doesn't care is either a vanity project or a paycheck or some combination of the two. it's like reviewing a region-locked korean browser-based MMO for polygon or something and giving it a 6

e: vv god those vocals sound like shit

Slowdive

Banned
^ If she got rid of the auto tune it might be decent, but like that it sounds like the worst thing she's ever done.

A shame that him and Ian Martin are like the only writers you can find. They kinda sound like grumpy old men...
I don't pay much attention to music critics anyway, but still, it would be cool to have more people with different tastes.

I like Ian Martin, he knows what he's talking about most of the time, and he likes more underground acts which Patrick doesn't really cover. Seeing a Guardian article on Seiko Oomori was pretty amazing.

Kurita

Is it known what the telephones members are planning to do in the future? Maybe Ishige Akira will focus more on his solo career?
Maybe.
As for the others we don't know. Maybe they just want a break (I know the bassist has a son, the drummer is also married so...).
But hey, the "to be continued" at the end of their last music video might be true! I'm sure they'll come back someday.

taopriest

A ROCK IN DISNEY compilation was announced. Featuring artists are tricot, ACIDMAN, MONGOL800, avengers in sci-fi, Dempagumi.inc, The Mirraz and more.

the telephones are also on this with their version of "Heigh-Ho". D-)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B010LEQNV4

Setlist
1. Part of Your World [The Little Mermaid]/ Akai Ko-en
2. Can’t Help Falling in Love [Lilo & Stitch]/ ACIDMAN
3. Mickey Mouse March [The Mickey Mouse Club]/ avengers in sci-fi
4. WONDER Volt [Frankenweenie] / Kaela Kimura
5. Belle [Beauty and the Beast]/ tricot
6. A Little Less Conversation [Lilo & Stitch]/ The Mirraz
7. MINAMIKAZE TO TAIYO [Stitch!]/ MONGOL800
8. Chim Chim Cher-ee [Mary Poppins]/ Plastic Tree
9. Heigh-Ho [Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs]/ the telephones
10. Lahaina [Lilo & Stitch]/ shinku-horou
11. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious [Mary Poppins]/ Dempagumi.inc

LayLa

A ROCK IN DISNEY compilation was announced. Featuring artists are tricot, ACIDMAN, MONGOL800, avengers in sci-fi, Dempagumi.inc, The Mirraz and more.

the telephones are also on this with their version of "Heigh-Ho". D-)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B010LEQNV4

Setlist
1. Part of Your World [The Little Mermaid]/ Akai Ko-en
2. Can’t Help Falling in Love [Lilo & Stitch]/ ACIDMAN
3. Mickey Mouse March [The Mickey Mouse Club]/ avengers in sci-fi
4. WONDER Volt [Frankenweenie] / Kaela Kimura
5. Belle [Beauty and the Beast]/ tricot
6. A Little Less Conversation [Lilo & Stitch]/ The Mirraz
7. MINAMIKAZE TO TAIYO [Stitch!]/ MONGOL800
8. Chim Chim Cher-ee [Mary Poppins]/ Plastic Tree
9. Heigh-Ho [Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs]/ the telephones
10. Lahaina [Lilo & Stitch]/ shinku-horou
11. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious [Mary Poppins]/ Dempagumi.inc

Some of these tracks are from a previous comp called Disney Rocks Girls Power, that Dempa track is hilarious
http://www.generasia.com/wiki/Disney_Rocks!!!_Girl's_Power!

Peru

The tricot disney cover is seriously awesome https://youtu.be/8ILRHE-GRyY

Btw just because I think it's good artists are getting exposure it doesn't mean I think he's a good writer, I disagree with most of the reviews I've read of his and his Pitchfork review choices are baffling. Pitchfork readers don't go to the site to listen to stuff like AKB or Namie. He gave a 6.7 to Genic, who was that review for?

Pitchfork writers don't get to decide what score an album is given.

He's a mostly solid writer who at least gives various projects incl pop and idol stuff a fair shot instead of the boring rockist angles.

Slowdive

Banned
Pitchfork writers don't get to decide what score an album is given.

He's a mostly solid writer who at least gives various projects incl pop and idol stuff a fair shot instead of the boring rockist angles.

Technically they do, but usually the editor changes the score. Like I said, it's good he's giving stuff exposure but I wish he would review Suiyoubi No Campanella, Daoko or Perfume etc (someone who he really likes) for them. I don't think the average Pitchfork reader is going to read that review or look at the score for Genic and give the album a listen, just seems a bit pointless.

I don't think the average Pitchfork reader is going to read that review or look at the score for Genic and give the album a listen, just seems a bit pointless.

Golden Touch went mildly viral for a while there, even in the west so I kiiiiinda see a reason, but only sort of.

Kurita

Man, I hope Apple Music will allow to listen to stuff from the Japanese store. Tons of stuff (from Sony, Crown, King Records or Warner for instance) are not on Spotify or on overseas stores. It would make Japanese music more accessible...

Slowdive

Banned
Golden Touch went mildly viral for a while there, even in the west so I kiiiiinda see a reason, but only sort of.

I forgot about that.

Speaking of Namie she has her own Chrome extension: http://anything.namieamuro.jp/ Don't think it's been posted.

Man, I hope Apple Music will allow to listen to stuff from the Japanese store. Tons of stuff (from Sony or Warner for instance) are not on Spotify or on overseas stores. It would make Japanese music more accessible...

I really hope so too. I hope it scrobbles as well.

Kurita

Scrobbling would be amazing, yeah.
Though I'm afraid we won't be able to have artists/titles in Japanese so that might be a problem.

Loving ボールズ (Balls) second major release, SEASON.
Even better than their previous album. Fresh but still has a somewhat old-school feel to it. It's like a mix between Hideki Kaji, andymori and Czecho No Republic. Great album for the summer!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOM1z6dKFLg
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBO4WIfBkCU
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw2q7DGUb9k
www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_rQyexW8zk

Slowdive

Banned
From a new Shiina Ringo interview:

Q: What word would you like to describe your music style?
A: Nothing special. "Composing songs upon other's requests," (and that is my motto,) treating it (composing songs) as an ordinary profession.

Q: You said, "If the songs are not in their best condition, I won't release them". Your persistence helped you to create some extraordinary songs. How you do think about the persistence in these years?
A: When did I say this quote? (The person saying this quote is) Such an arrogant woman. (Anyway,) I have forgotten this persistence.

This is really sad. :(

Searched up some of the songs I liked that were performed on the recent CDTV, only to find they're being released in a month or two! yay! waiting! fun!

From a new Shiina Ringo interview:

This is really sad. :(

Wow. I don't follow her so I'm unsure on why she'd reply like that, is there a backstory to this?.

Zoe

She's always expressed self-esteem issues in her interviews, even back when she debuted and was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Slowdive

Banned
Wow. I don't follow her so I'm unsure on why she'd reply like that, is there a backstory to this?.

Compared to her other stuff her recent output hasn't been that good and the new coke tie-in song sounds awful, I know it's "only" a song made for an advert, but that's beside the point. It's just saddening to hear that she's not as passionate anymore. I was pretty shocked she was so up front about it. If she's okay with releasing half-arsed songs with commercial tie-ins then good for her I guess.

Here's one for your collection stump sock

CIv3881UMAAJa_d.jpg:large

just remembered this one too

CAdwr7PVIAAyw6p.jpg

the top one's got me stumped, unless it's Shion from Guso Drop. the Oyasumi Hologram one is great though

also I wish Oyasumi Hologram would release something more than those CD-R demos :(

Top Bottom