• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

nuts. well Zombie Chang is a decent consolation prize.

e: oh crap, did I miss KOTO?

Yeah you did.

NhqQfy7.gif

I can't actually tell what it is :(

I don't actually know any of the women in that photo, but the album on the far left (beside Loveless) is Belle and Sebastian's Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant.

What are some good websites for importing/downloading Japanese music? I'm trying to delve into the discography of Oshiriprenprenz and find the releases of a couple of similar bands but I'm not finding much.

In addition to what's already been posted, you could also try Ototoy. Digital MP3/FLAC downloads. I think? this is their listing for Oshiripenpenz. (My katakana is pretty awful.)

I don't actually know any of the women in that photo, but the album on the far left (beside Loveless) is Belle and Sebastian's Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like a Peasant.

Chi-bo and you're right. I totally spaced on that, but to be fair, that's not one of my favorite B&S albums.

It's funny, albums pre-2000 or so I totally know the covers for. Digital music has completely ruined my ability to retain album cover knowledge.

Younapi is the one with the pink pigtails.

Kurita

Should have spent the day at Shinjuku or Shibuya's Tower Records, KANA-BOON were there for the release of their new single :( :( :( :(
I think I'd just stand there in shock if I saw them anyway. My heart can't take that.

LayLa

My copy of the French Charisma.com LP came in the post today, nice thick vinyl, sounds great. Thanks thread!
Bish have two new members, maybe they are insuring against the inevitable BiS-like attrition.

Bish have two new members, maybe they are insuring against the inevitable BiS-like attrition.

I see that they added a meganekko member to appeal to my sensibilities...

I wonder how quick they'll come out with a second album. I'm guessing under a year, if Watanabe's other groups are any indication.

AdamT

My copy of the French Charisma.com LP came in the post today, nice thick vinyl, sounds great. Thanks thread!

I grabbed one too. Really good sound. I didn't have much for electronic music on vinyl besides Devo and Kraftwerk, so this was a surprise. Also, I didn't want to wait for international shipping, so I grabbed mine from UGHH.com for $18 shipped. They're out of Boston and I'm an hour away, so it arrived next day, but I'm sure delivery time is 3 days at most to the US(for those here).

Seems like Seiko Oomori's dreams of producing an idol group are coming true. Solo idol Rinne Yoshida and actress/Miss iD girl Jun Aoyama are forming a temporary unit called Zunne from JC-WC, apparently as a spinoff from a GYAO-exclusive (boo!) web series that looks like a sort of Lord of the Flies in a Junior High girls' bathroom. Oomori is handling the songwriting while Kenta Sakurai handles arrangement.

I can't actually tell what it is :(

It's Super ae by Boredoms.

Slowdive

Banned
Seems like Seiko Oomori's dreams of producing an idol group are coming true. Solo idol Rinne Yoshida and actress/Miss iD girl Jun Aoyama are forming a temporary unit called Zunne from JC-WC, apparently as a spinoff from a GYAO-exclusive (boo!) web series that looks like a sort of Lord of the Flies in a Junior High girls' bathroom. Oomori is handling the songwriting while Kenta Sakurai handles arrangement.

Just read this, should be interesting.

It's Super ae by Boredoms.

that's... pretty much the most Younapi pick possible. I can respect that.
I still prefer Chocolate Synthesizer and Pop Tatari myself

also, super stoked for that Oomori idol thing; that's the same silly bathroom show that Riko from Ebichu is in too. I really should try to track that down.

e: wait that's Misako from Shinsei Kamattechan too, what the hell is this show??

popyea

In addition to what's already been posted, you could also try Ototoy. Digital MP3/FLAC downloads. I think? this is their listing for Oshiripenpenz. (My katakana is pretty awful.)

Thanks! None of the images are loading properly, but whatever if it means I can find more stuff digitally. I actually came across iTunes.jp which seemed to have 2 more oshiripenpenz albums than regular iTunes. Or maybe there's multiple listings for the band or something.

quite enjoying the new Inshouha. just really pleasant.

update: I've decided that Q&A is one of the best tracks of 2015. those last 3 or so minutes of prog synths are glorious

Kurita

Yesterday's HighApps show at Ebisu Liquidroom was insane. 8 bands, 6 hours (including 20 minutes breaks between each band)...

First up was United Monmonsan (ユナイテッドモンモンサン). They weren't bad but since I don't really like female vocalists I can't say I loved them.

Next was Frederic (&#12501;&#12524;&#12487;&#12522;&#12483;&#12463;), that's when the crowd really started getting wild. They're so intense... So much fun to hear songs like OWARASE NIGHT live <3

Next was Homecomings. Wasn't anything special, western-sounding folk-rock with a really cute vocalist. She was kinda scared because they've never played in such a big venue haha. Crowd wasn't really into it.

Kidori Kidori were up next, they played their catchiest songs and it was such a blast. They also announced that the support bassist was now an official member of the band!

Aaaaand, I got really sick before go!go!vanillas started playing, guess my stomach didn't like all the dancing after lunch. Couldn't really enjoy their set because of that even I though I really really wanted to see them :(

Felt better when Hello Sleepwalkers arrived. Didn't expect to like their performance so much. I mean I already like them a lot but it was quite impressive. Pretty cool to see both vocalists without their guitars during Worker Ant.

LAMP IN TERREN were also amazing. Their songs are even more gut-wrenching live... The vocalist has such an amazing voice.

And finally, THE ORAL CIGARETTES, I guess most people came to see them. Crowd went wild when they started playing, it was fantastic. The energy of the band combined with that great crowd... Speechless.

Jakoavain

Any love for Dempagumi in this thread?

I don't really follow idols, but am really hardcore into the Dempa's. Seen them live in Japan, went to Japan Expo and both days of Hyper Japan, moving next month to Japan.

Oh, and I like charisma.com, fear and loathing in las vegas and SEKAI NO OWARI too.

Kurita

I don't really follow idols, but am really hardcore into the Dempa's. Seen them live in Japan, went to Japan Expo and both days of Hyper Japan, moving next month to Japan.

Oh, and I like charisma.com, fear and loathing in las vegas and SEKAI NO OWARI too.

Welcome my friend

Oh, and I like charisma.com, fear and loathing in las vegas and SEKAI NO OWARI
too.

There are fans of Dempagumi here and other bands you have mentioned.

popyea

If you wanna talk about weird/offbeat/prog/art/underground/questionable quality idol groups, I'm always here.

Oh, I didn't think I listened to any idol groups but does eX-girl count? If there are more bands like that I'm interested in knowing about them.

New POP single out December 8th.

also it looks like Saki just announced an indefinite hiatus? wtf

the reason stated is &#12300;&#24230;&#37325;&#12394;&#12427;&#31105;&#27490;&#20107;&#38917;&#12395;&#25269;&#35302;&#12375;&#12383;&#12301; but I don't really understand what that means. something about conflicts.

what if she started a new group with Mari? wouldn't that be some shit

Jakoavain

also it looks like Saki just announced an indefinite hiatus? wtf

the reason stated is &#12300;&#24230;&#37325;&#12394;&#12427;&#31105;&#27490;&#20107;&#38917;&#12395;&#25269;&#35302;&#12375;&#12383;&#12301; but I don't really understand what that means. something about conflicts.

what if she started a new group with Mari? wouldn't that be some shit

"Conflicts regarding frequently occurring prohibited acts/behaviour.". As such, doesn't shed a light on what is the reason.

Still a bit shady, I was pretty surprised (and upset) to hear that Mari left and they upped the group to the current roster. I'd throw out a wild theory that the management treats them like shit and Mari left because of that and Saki has been protesting.

Despite not liking Primera as much as their other stuff, I think Especia is now at least tied with Perfume for my favorite idol group. Listened to them a bunch at work today, and GUSTO is so cohesive and well executed. Just from the short intro, you can tell it's going to be something special. Probably my favorite pop album of 2014.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I honestly don't really know if Perfume is considered an idol group. It might be more accurate to call them and Especia my two favorite groups when it comes to pop music as a genre.

"Conflicts regarding frequently occurring prohibited acts/behaviour.". As such, doesn't shed a light on what is the reason.

Still a bit shady, I was pretty surprised (and upset) to hear that Mari left and they upped the group to the current roster. I'd throw out a wild theory that the management treats them like shit and Mari left because of that and Saki has been protesting.

that would explain why Watanabe seemed so pissy on twitter. he had the same tone when Mari left.

Mari has twice now shown that she's not willing to put up with people she doesn't get along with, and she was still professional enough to stick around for several months until the new members were hired. or maybe she had to because of contracts or whatever. but the point is, I don't think it's a coincidence that there's so much churn in groups managed by WACK. Watanabe has certain ideas and gets publicly mad when things don't seem to be going his way.

it's always funny watching how Watanabe and Kenta Matsukuma react to the same situations since they work together so often. Watanabe acts like a brat and Matsukuma has the most humble japanese businessman demeanor, sometimes apologizing for things out of his control. Weird role reversal between musician and management.

Despite not liking Primera as much as their other stuff, I think Especia is now at least tied with Perfume for my favorite idol group. Listened to them a bunch at work today, and GUSTO is so cohesive and well executed. Just from the short intro, you can tell it's going to be something special. Probably my favorite pop album of 2014.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I honestly don't really know if Perfume is considered an idol group. It might be more accurate to call them and Especia my two favorite groups when it comes to pop music as a genre.

Perfume claim they're not idols, but honestly these days the only thing that defines an idol is saying that you are one. I've said it before, but there are actual bands that call themselves idols, so who knows.

I actually like Primera more than GUSTO but I think I'm in the minority. either way, I think their best material is still to come. I was reading some interviews recently and the members were saying that they feel like they've just recently began to gel as a group, and I think it shows in the new single. They seem more confident and sure in their sound.

---

Literature and Destroy might not be the best thing You'll Melt More! has put out this year, but Only You might be the best song they've done all year.

Refresh Your Jewellery Box sounds like The Life Pursuit-era Belle and Sebastian, hah

e: and so does the first track if I'm being honest, and the cover looks like B&S and I feel stupid for just now realizing that

Only You might even be better than Sweet Escape.

I think I agree, but it's funny that most of my favorite songs of theirs are over 6 minutes long. and I think that Hashida and Taya should probably just write most of their music, since they're the best at it.

also wikipedia confirmed the B&S inspiration, so while I was slow on the uptake at least I still figured it out.

Hmm, does this new avatar mean you've changed your oshi, stump sock?

funny you mention that because I set aside an Ano picture to edit down today since I don't like the way this one displays.

but don't underestimate how much I love Younapi too ;)

Koutei Camera Girl's second album, Leningrad Loud Girlz, confirmed for release Dec. 2. Hopefully it won't be a Tower exclusive again. Two new instrumental demos on their soundcloud. I wonder if they get all their titles from spam email.

Top Bottom