• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

They released their seventh single/demo today!

lol wut. was that even announced ahead of time?

--

BELLRING uploaded a full hour-long pro-shot show on youtube today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkZbYqnHbcA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NRTFPULPUw

...in the event that anybody here actually cares about them besides me.

--

oh also there's a trailer for the Teddyloid Momoclo remix album (region locked :\ )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlMV_Gp1R4g

sounds really awesome actually

--

oh, new Necronomidol single

http://diskunion.net/portal/ct/detail/1006826084

I think they've been playing at least some of those live, they sound good.

--

COX91pYUkAEh1VS.jpg:large

the latest in silly BiSH merchandise

well I'm not taking full blame for that since it doesn't look like KOM_I's said a thing about it for months (before today) on social media.

100 yen tower records exclusive lol

sigh

New album from 3776 out 10/28.

Aira Mitsuki's LIGHTSAVER will be released digitally 9/21.

Koutei Camera Girl replaced one of their new instrumentals on soundcloud (the one that sounds like hip Weather Channel background music) with a short version with vocals. I was worried that Sugar Sugar Lala had left the group since she hasn't been active on twitter and doesn't appear in recent photos of them but she's clearly present on the recording.

I'd noticed that too. even though she borders on annoying, her voice acts as a good contrast to the others in the group. it'd be weird without her.

never really know what to expect from 3776, but it's never dull.

I actually really love her voice and similar over the top voices that sound more like they come from some sort of kawaii alien than a human being. I also think maybe part of the reason I enjoy those voices is precisely because they annoy certain people too, like people are fine with harsh noise music but then a cutesy voice is just TOO MUCH.

honestly the reason I like weird voices probably comes from the same part of me that enjoys noise/avant garde stuff

there's a certain undeniable masochism involved with my musical tastes

Zoe

It was made public today that Tsunku had officially resigned last year as general producer of H!P :(

neshcom

Banned
It was made public today that Tsunku had officially resigned last year as general producer of H!P :(

Wow, how sad. Dude really killed himself for H!P, but once he lost his voice, it was clear he was one foot out the door. As far as a producing mastermind, Tsunku's legacy will go down as incredibly respectable.

Did the news say if he'll have any role going forward? I could imagine him taking a behind the scenes or advisory role.

Kurita

Quick thoughts on the albums I bought this week.

Czecho No Republic - Santa Fe

One of my most anticipated albums of the month/second half of 2015. Their 2014 album MANTLE was mindblowing so I had high expectations for this new release. This time it's reaaaaaally heavy on the synths, it has more of city-pop approach I guess? One of the guitarists was a bit pissed by this direction cause he had not much to do, they had to re-arrange some songs to add more guitar haha
It's kinda hard to compare it to MANTLE cause they're radically different albums, but I'd say it's just as good. Czecho No Republic still showing they know how to do addictive melodies. Firework is an instant classic.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZREIq7SpI_I

パスピエ - 娑婆ラバ (Passepied - Shaba Lover)

First of all that cover is gorgeous. I've never been that into Passepied but for some reason I've been addicted to their stuff recently so I guess I'm slowly becoming a fan. A super catchy album, so far I'm liking it even more than their previous one, which was my favorite. The 5 minutes long songs can be a little bit too long for their own good but it's not really a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6aj-hpk6AY

Large House Satisfaction - SHINE OR BUST

The new generation garage rock band is back with a somewhat original mini-album. It's less raw than their usual stuff, the tracks are almost danceable with choruses you can sing along with. A surprising and amazing departure from their old style, I wonder if they'll stick to it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lar-iAWKJc

Suck a Stew Dry - Wake Me Up!

Their second mini-album/EP of the year. The first one was quite mellow, it was a calm 4-songs EP. This one is way more rock oriented and I'm not going to complain, that's how like this band. Not much to say about it, it's a solid release as always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yawp4YIhoUI

It's been cancelled because of flooding.

Edit: beaten.

since you're back, I'm assuming you've emerged from your MGS hole? :p

--

https://www.showroom-live.com/ylmlm - chi-bo and younapi are live, and I'm only really bringing it up because I could listen to younapi's goofy speech patterns all day. the way she overpronounces things when making announcements both makes it easy to understand and kind of hilarious

e: ooh, new live dvd in october.

Haha yeah! Spending so much time on it made me realize just how long Metal Gear Scanlon V is going to be.

this one seems like it's the most likely to accommodate his particular brand of panic grenade-throwing, but even still, it's going to be very, very long

yes he does, and those outfits are somehow worse in motion. his songwriting hasn't crossed over into being too cliched yet though so I'm okay with it for the time being.

at least I can now put a face to the girl who sounds exactly like Nocchi.

so this leaves only 3 songs from the album that haven't been released in some format.

Kurita

Butt...rock...?

Urban Dictionary said:
A popular term referring to a sub-genre of hard rock strongly influenced by post-grunge and nu metal. Originating in the mid-late 90s, butt rock is comprised of raspy vocals, similar to Pearl Jam, Creed, or Nirvana, backed with radio-friendly guitar riffs, drum beats, and basic bass lines.

Hard to deny that Silent Hill's rock tracks are a bit generic aside from Theme of Laura.

I guess this is where I show my age a little

there's been two waves of butt rock.

the first was in the late 80s after shitty hair bands diluted metal and hard rock down to inoffensive pap for girls named Tina with bad perms.

the second wave started in the mid-90s (and continues) in the wake of grunge and nu-metal. don't let anybody tell you it's "post-grunge" because that gives it too much credit.

some good examples

there's a pretty narrow gap between some of that stuff and, well, this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF35I8KXXMY

Aizo

Banned
Hard to deny that Silent Hill's rock tracks are a bit generic aside from Theme of Laura.
Ahhh. That's very true. I always skip rock tracks on the soundtracks for SH, 2, 3, 4, Zero, Homecoming, Shattered Memory, and Shadow of the Damned.
the second wave started in the mid-90s (and continues) in the wake of grunge and nu-metal. don't let anybody tell you it's "post-grunge" because that gives it too much credit.

some good examples

there's a pretty narrow gap between some of that stuff and, well, this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF35I8KXXMY
Ahhh. So a lot of those Nu Metal bands I really despise were Buttrock all this time. I can see how Chevelle, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Stone Sour, and Seether all fit into that, but Anberlin? I think they're a bit more melodic, but maybe I just like a Buttrock band—their lyrics are definitely Buttrock-level, though. haha.
I'll stop derailing now.

Kurita

Yaaay, new Straightener single on November 11th! We might get an album in a few months then!

04 Limited Sazabys announced a 4 songs single to be released on October 28th, can't fucking wait. Their major debut album CAVU released earlier this year is a gem.

A tribute album dedicated to the telephones will be released on November 4th (as well as their Budokan live) featuring VOLA & THE ORIENTAL MACHINE, 9mm Parabellum Bullet, Koji Nakamura, J、James Iha, Straightener, dustbox, Fragment, THE BAWDIES, POLYSICS and Yogee New Waves.

THE ORAL CIGARETTES just announced their new single, 狂乱 Hey Kids!!, it will be released on November 11!
news_header_theoralcigarettes_art201509.jpg

news_xlarge_theoralcigarettes_normal_JK.jpg
news_xlarge_theoralcigarettes_limited_JK.jpg

01. 狂乱 Hey Kids!!
02. キエタミタイ
03. LIPS
04. 狂乱 Hey Kids!! (Instrumental)

The new Passepied is great, their best album I think.

I think I agree.

e: just listened to some of it in my car and boy the mixing/mastering is kind of questionable. it sounded kind of okay on my home speakers. I like her voice but it doesn't need to be that high in the mix. and cymbals legitimately clip in some songs?

still, I got my wish of at least half the songs being as good as Tokinowa.

--

ugh I want one of these necronomidol hats. I might just email Ricky to see if I can get him to sell me merch

Slowdive

Banned
I think I agree.

e: just listened to some of it in my car and boy the mixing/mastering is kind of questionable. it sounded kind of okay on my home speakers. I like her voice but it doesn't need to be that high in the mix. and cymbals legitimately clip in some songs?

Her voice being high in the mix has been a problem since their first release, it didn't really bother me and I'm just used to it now. It sounded alright on my earphones but I'm listening on speakers now and this is probably the worst it's been.

yeah it sounded okay on my (good) home speakers, but almost anything does. playing it on sub-standard equipment is... yuck

I thought brickwalling sound was supposed to make it sound good on shitty equipment

any chance of us getting lucky with a different mix for vinyl or something?

Slowdive

Banned
any chance of us getting lucky with a different mix for vinyl or something?

Well there was the recent Makunouchi​-​ISM vinyl, so maybe.

About the Dommune flood:

Dear DOMMUNE friends,

On Wednesday night, the DOMMUNE studio suffered from serious flooding. As a result, we had to cancel last night and tonight’s shows. We are very sorry to all the people involved and to our audience. We would also like to thank everyone who assisted with responding to the problem.
The flooding happened suddenly and in a short space of time much of the DOMMUNE studio was submerged under water! Unfortunately there was quite a lot of damage to the studio and our equipment. BUT miraculously the DOMMUNE archives, covering 5 and a half years and more than 3,000 programs (over 100 TeraByte!!) , were safe!!! We are very relieved that DOMMUNE’s heritage is protected and can be shared in the future.

We have faced natural and manmade disasters before, and these cannot stop us! Despite the damage to the studio, DOMMUNE plans to return as soon as possible!! We hope that we can start broadcasting again next week. Please check our Twitter for more information: @DOMMUNE

We have received so much support from DOMMUNE followers and from many artists who have played at DOMMUNE. We really appreciate your kind words and thoughts. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

But don't worry, Ukawa is OK!!! DOMMUNE crews are OK!!! We will be back VERY soon!!!

NEVER MIND!!!!!!!!!!!! NEVER DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOMMUNE

lol I spent like half an hour earlier reading it in japanese, and then they went and translated the message, huh?

oh well. I hope they take this as a sign to back up that archive.

Kurita

Super smooth new song by Hoshino Gen, really digging it as usual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBIW48e6GZE
Hope he'll release an album soon!

Yonezu Kenshi just released a new PV from his upcoming full album! Another masterpiece :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLEPU7DqLzg

He also unveiled the details about the album, called Bremen.
resize_image.jpg

resize_image.jpg

01 アンビリーバーズ
02 フローライト
03 再上映
04 Flowerwall
05 あたしはゆうれい
06 ウィルオウィスプ
07 Undercover
08 Neon Sign
09 メトロノーム
10 雨の街路に夜行蟲
11 シンデレラグレイ
12 ミラージュソング
13 ホープランド
14 Blue Jasmine

Kurita

Sakanaction announced the creation of their own sublabel under Victor Entertainment called NF Records, so just like The Mirraz and Arukara (both bands are also with Victor). Pretty cool, I guess this allows more freedom while still having the support of your major label. Their new artist picture is cool af

So for people living in , Germany, UK and Paris Asian Kung-Fu Generation are playing near you!
Werkstatt in Cologne on November 7th
O2 Academy Islington in London on November 8th
La Machine in Paris on November 10th.

Kurita

So for people living in , Germany, UK and Paris Asian Kung-Fu Generation are playing near you!
Werkstatt in Cologne on November 7th
O2 Academy Islington in London on November 8th
La Machine in Paris on November 10th.

Got my ticket in July, super excited. It will be my second Ajikan show :)

A lot of artists are coming to France soon : Charisma.com, Capsule, Tempura Kidz, World Order, Cheeky Parade (they'll all be at the Moshi Moshi Nippon thing), RADWIMPS, Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION and ONE OK ROCK. Not going to Moshi Moshi Nippon but I got my tickets for the other bands :)

Top Bottom