• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

The BORIS tracks are completely new reinventions of some of the band's classic songs, while the MERZBOW songs are new compositions. BORIS and MERZBOW have each contributed exactly the same amount of music, with the two discs intended to be played at the same time on physical speakers at varying volumes so that the listener can experience their own "gensho/phenomenon" every time.

Gettin some Dronevil -Final- vibes from the sound of that. Merzbow will of course make it way more chaotic. Can't wait!

Kurita

I went to I-rabbits concert yesterday. It was unbelievable atmosphere was fantastic as well as band performance. It's so loud that your inner resonances with music and it feels really good. I definitely want to go to more concerts it's so much fun. I got tickets for Toe and UVERworld concert so far.
UVERworld's lives seem insane. I'm not a huuuge fan (I still listen to them every now and then) but I'd love to go.
Watched their performance at this year Rock in Japan, it was their first time ever, the crowd was just nuts.

taopriest

HEY!HEY!NEO! 2015-09-25 is now online.

Stream:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37si5h_hey-hey-neo-ダウンタウンが初接近-15-09-25_tv

Hx0RYE2.gif

MTDJU2q.gif

Infinite

Tricot and Kero Kero Bonito shows in New York in October. Brehs I'm hype as fuck. Also how y'all doing I haven't posted in this thread in a minute.

Xinlisupreme is pretty great. I can't think of another act that sounds quite like them.
I haven't decided about Kero Kero Bonito yet but I'm definitely going to the SF tricot show.
Japan will never run out of fantastic girl bands. I discovered Kuchinashi the other day and this song (about playing video games all night) has been stuck in my head since:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjzMeTdMoDs

TsuXna

UVERworld's lives seem insane. I'm not a huuuge fan (I still listen to them every now and then) but I'd love to go.
Watched their performance at this year Rock in Japan, it was their first time ever, the crowd was just nuts.

Their lives are definitely the best I've ever watched, so i can't wait for it:3 Meanwhile i didn't win tickets for MONOEYES concert again, orz. I got tickets for My first story, back-on and Nico Touches the walls.

Aizo

Banned
Sakanaction's new PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIlZCmETvsY&feature=youtu.be
Sakanaction x Showa TV = awesome
Also, all their PVs are now on their label's channel. The old ones that were SD only before are now in HD!
Somehow, I like it even more with the music video this time.
So are there any non terrible english language japanese music blogs?
Sparkplugged
That's the one that I write for, but we just post and write about new music videos and song releases mostly. It's all like Alt/Indie Rock, Metal, and Electronic stuff. We don't really post Pop.

Kurita

So are there any non terrible english language japanese music blogs?
That's tough, most people writing about Japanese music seem pedant as fuck, it's insane (Ian Martin being the worst offender, I think he talks more about what he doesn't like than what he does enjoy).

Aizo

Banned
That seems to be the case in general with music blogs and review sites. The authors are often quite pedantic about the things they allegedly enjoy, unfortunately.

Quasar

Somehow, I like it even more with the music video this time.

Sparkplugged
That's the one that I write for, but we just post and write about new music videos and song releases mostly. It's all like Alt/Indie Rock, Metal, and Electronic stuff. We don't really post Pop.

Right. I'll admit I'm more interested in pop than other genres. Though I'm not interested in the personal/soapy aspects.

Quasar

That seems to be the case in general with music blogs and review sites. The authors are often quite pedantic about the things they allegedly enjoy, unfortunately.

Which is probably why the few music sites I follow seem to be more official industry ones like billboard and rolling stone.

Kurita

True. It's hard to find authors that come off has enthusiast. One of the main reasons I don't bother reading.

Peru

I enjoy reading people, critics rag on things, if there's an intellectual argument to be had -brings it into perspective, makes me engage with the product more even if I disagree wholeheartedly. Boring to just read people preaching to the choir. That's why I don't care much for enthusiast blogs.

Infinite

That's tough, most people writing about Japanese music seem pedant as fuck, it's insane (Ian Martin being the worst offender, I think he talks more about what he doesn't like than what he does enjoy).
wow, Ian Martin is probably my favorite blogger in this space. Been introduced to a lot of great material like Miu Mau for example through his blogs. He just happens to be very critical of what he's consuming as well and that's fine. I like reading stuff like that more than I like reading "enthusiasts" blogs that just preach to the choir and offer no perspective what so ever. Dude also has a distribution label publishing the type of music he wants to hear coming out of various scenes so it's kinda weird to question if he's a "real" fan because he doesn't always say nice things about something.

Kurita

Fair enough, it's just not for me.

Yonezu Kenshi released a digest version of his upcoming album, sounds like another great release, YANKEE was one of the best things of 2014.
https://youtu.be/XZDZZEAbaZg

New SiM is pretty solid
https://youtu.be/cWPoczvmFQo

Listened to the "deluxe edition" of ONE OK ROCK's 35xxxv (basically the American re-release of the album) and it's a nice surprise. I didn't expect them to re-arrange/re-record all the songs, I thought they'd just change the Japanese lyrics of a few songs. Turns out some sound better on this version than on the Japanese one, like One By One, Decision, Fight The Night... the subtle changes give them another dimension, it's a pleasure re-discover them. The two bonus tracks are growers, especially The Way Back. I'm looking forward to the Japanese version of that song they'll release next week.

Infinite

Is ladybaby halfway decent? They also have a NYC show in October and wondering if it'll be worth it to go. Kinda terrified to google their material.

Aizo

Banned
They're popular enough to do international tours? My friend bought their ep, and it was not very interesting.

Speaking of Ladybaby, weird to find one of the girls posing in a manga magazine I picked up today.

Kurita

They're popular enough to do international tours? My friend bought their ep, and it was not very interesting.

Might as well bank on the small buzz they have right now, I don't really see them getting the same attention as Babymetal though

Is ladybaby halfway decent? They also have a NYC show in October and wondering if it'll be worth it to go. Kinda terrified to google their material.

I mean... not really? That one song is halfway catchy (thanks Hajimetal/Asano), but outside that it's just whatever. if you have a stomach for dumb shit, it might be worthwhile for the laughs? this is what you can expect live, I guess

Speaking of Ladybaby, weird to find one of the girls posing in a manga magazine I picked up today.

the black haired girl? she's done a lot of (frankly gross, underage) gravure.

Aizo

Banned
Ewww... it's bad enough that I just want to read the only non smut in the magazine and have to deal with all gravure stuff.

Kurita

Fell asleep in the park listening to Supercar this afternoon. Really miss them so bad.

I can listen to Yumegiwa Last Boy for hours, also the album Futurama is one of the greatest things ever.

I'm loving 雨のパレード (Ame no Parade)'s latest mini-album. Amazing build-ups, exhilarating climaxes/choruses, a unique atmosphere... Kinda post-rock, progressive... It's really neat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzvHG2LdP5g
Zankyo Records is such a good label...

Kurita

Weird that they still upload it on Zankyo's channel even though they're with Imperial Records now huh. Guess Zankyo is still in charge of their management even after their major debut.
People In The Box do the same even though they're with Crown.

Kansoku

té's last album was on CROWN as well, and 夜は光を掩蔽し... is on Zankyo's channel.

Kurita

Kanjani8 just keep on getting great collaborations, KANA-BOON and OKAMOTO'S are writing songs for their upcoming album! I'm hyped

Aizo

Banned
I sometimes wish that I had the encyclopedic knowledge of Kurita for record labels, members, collaborations, and release dates. I just know the bands I like and go to their live shows. I should read Natalie more often.

Kurita

I just hate being out of the loop, that's all haha
Sometimes I wonder how I managed to get news before using Twitter and following Natalie/bands/members...

Speaking of OKAMOTO'S, I can't wait to listen to OPERA, their new album released this week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaAhGK9S7Wo&feature=youtu.be
The fact that the whole album tells a story is pretty neat. I think it has the potential to be their most interesting album, their magnum opus.

popyea

wow, Ian Martin is probably my favorite blogger in this space. Been introduced to a lot of great material like Miu Mau for example through his blogs. He just happens to be very critical of what he's consuming as well and that's fine. I like reading stuff like that more than I like reading "enthusiasts" blogs that just preach to the choir and offer no perspective what so ever. Dude also has a distribution label publishing the type of music he wants to hear coming out of various scenes so it's kinda weird to question if he's a "real" fan because he doesn't always say nice things about something.

Yeah, Ian and his label are where I've discovered the stuff I like most. First bit of new Japanese music I discovered was Otori which lead me to his blog and then all sorts of other great blogs and bands. I think he's great for anyone into no wave or post-punk type stuff. Thanks for the other blog links, they look promising!

Infinite

Might as well bank on the small buzz they have right now, I don't really see them getting the same attention as Babymetal though

I mean... not really? That one song is halfway catchy (thanks Hajimetal/Asano), but outside that it's just whatever. if you have a stomach for dumb shit, it might be worthwhile for the laughs? this is what you can expect live, I guess

the black haired girl? she's done a lot of (frankly gross, underage) gravure.

Damn, that's kinda trash.

Yeah, Ian and his label are where I've discovered the stuff I like most. First bit of new Japanese music I discovered was Otori which lead me to his blog and then all sorts of other great blogs and bands. I think he's great for anyone into no wave or post-punk type stuff. Thanks for the other blog links, they look promising!
Yeah I don't think those genres are Kurita's cup of tea :p

Ian Martin has an encyclopedic knowledge of certain areas of the Japanese underground and sections of music history, the problem is he uses that knowledge to fool people into believing he's a credible authority on areas of Japanese music he knows little about. Plus the way his old man bitterness seems to permeate everything he writes tends to make him not very fun to read. I remember just a couple months ago when the news came that Oricon would stop counting music cards he took it as an opportunity to rant about the 48 groups for Japan Times, apparently without having bothered to check that music cards and event tickets are not the same thing. I mean I'm not even an AKB48 fan, but I cringe in embarrassed sympathy whenever Japan Times writes about them. Like, idols sure are lucky to have all these male foreigners looking out for their best interests and letting them now how oppressed they are, right?

But yeah, when he sticks to what he knows you can discover some pretty great artists.

Kurita

Well put.
Reading his stuff about more mainstream areas is quite painful sometimes. It's clear that he doesn't care/like/know about certain topics but still write about them. I don't see the point.
Like, when he talks about Rock in Japan and saying it doesn't have headliners... Jesus. He's not the target of this kind of festival, it's literally the opposite of underground music, 90% of the line-up is mainstream/major acts so his lack of knowledge/interest was obvious. I don't mind him not liking this kind of music, that's not the problem at all (and I can see why doesn't).

Infinite

Ian Martin has an encyclopedic knowledge of certain areas of the Japanese underground and sections of music history, the problem is he uses that knowledge to fool people into believing he's a credible authority on areas of Japanese music he knows little about. Plus the way his old man bitterness seems to permeate everything he writes tends to make him not very fun to read. I remember just a couple months ago when the news came that Oricon would stop counting music cards he took it as an opportunity to rant about the 48 groups for Japan Times, apparently without having bothered to check that music cards and event tickets are not the same thing. I mean I'm not even an AKB48 fan, but I cringe in embarrassed sympathy whenever Japan Times writes about them. Like, idols sure are lucky to have all these male foreigners looking out for their best interests and letting them now how oppressed they are, right?

But yeah, when he sticks to what he knows you can discover some pretty great artists.
What does that mean? You kinda contradicted yourself.

Kurita

He knows a ton about underground stuff, it's true. He doesn't know a lot about other domains but people still take what he says for granted because they have a certain image of him, even if he's wrong. That's what bother me the most. It'd be like me trying to talk about undeground music/idols even though I have no idea (and don't like) what I'm talking about. Stick to what you're interested in, what you're really knowledgeable about and it'll be a more pleasant experience for everybody.

Infinite

He knows a ton about underground stuff, it's true. He doesn't know a lot about other domains but people still take what he says for granted because they have a certain image of him, even if he's wrong. That's what bother me the most. It'd be like me trying to talk about undeground music even though I have no idea what I'm talking about.
I feel like he knows enough to give opinions or offer critiques especially on mainstream pop acts which is very easy to research and cover. Also it's opinions we can take or leave it.

Top Bottom