• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

Well, I don't feel like he does ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
But yeah, to each his own... It's not a meaningful debate to have anyway :lol Let's just enjoy what we like ( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Infinite

I mean I'm just saying its silly to be like "I don't like your opinion on this thing therefore you shouldn't speak about it at all" but it is what it is. Everyone is everyone else's cup of tea.

I don't mind his opinions, I'm just not into the personal-anecdotes-into-music-reviews thing he does, but I'm glad that at least someone does what he does.

What does that mean? You kinda contradicted yourself.

Looks like Kurita already clarified what I meant, that sometimes he speaks with authority on mainstream acts/idols without having done the proper legwork to make sure he's factually correct. Of course I'm fine with him having differing opinions.

Kurita

I mean I'm just saying its silly to be like "I don't like your opinion on this thing therefore you shouldn't speak about it at all" but it is what it is. Everyone is everyone else's cup of tea.

That's not what I'm saying. I feel like he talks about stuff he doesn't know about, that's all, and I just don't like people doing that in general for obvious reasons.
In the end I don't care about his opinion about this or that, it just needs enough knowledge to back it up otherwise it just comes across as ignorance. He could praise an artist I like (it already happened a few times!), I'd still scratch my head if he's factually wrong about certain elements.

Infinite

Looks like Kurita already clarified what I meant, that sometimes he speaks with authority on mainstream acts/idols without having done the proper legwork to make sure he's factually correct. Of course I'm fine with him having differing opinions.

That's not what I'm saying. I feel like he talks about stuff he doesn't know about, that's all, and I just don't like people doing that in general for obvious reasons.
In the end I don't care about his opinion about this or that, it just needs enough knowledge to back it up otherwise it just comes across as ignorance.

it is what it is ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I don't want to come off as dude's personal advocate I'm just saying I read his personal blogs and those are pretty dope filled with lots of great content. He even talks about indie or up and coming idol groups that are cool too as a fan of that stuff. He seems to know what he's talking about there and only talks about what he knows. I don't see him really talking about the Japanese Edm scene like Make Believe Melodies does for example. I don't read the japan times much so I'm not too keen on his editorials to have a stance one way or the other there.

tumblr_nv5p5vT8R11usgtyro1_540.gif

Aaaah, new RADWIMPS single (double a-side), november 15!

while they're not my cup of tea, I was just realizing this morning how packed november is with releases I'm looking forward to. going to have to place a big order that month.

e: october too.

Oct: sora tob sakana, tommy heavenly/february, chouchou merged syrups, daoko, ebichu, you'll melt more, 3776, perfume, team syachihoko

nov: kinoko teikoku, spangle call lilli line, suiyobi no campanella, suttoko dokkoi, you'll melt more,

that aira mitsuki album should be out sometime soon too

e2: guess i missed the new cinema staff and base ball bear too. yikes.

Kurita

Looking at what's getting released in October/November gives me a headache.
October
Albums : plenty, The Mirraz, ircle, Yonezu Kenshi, Special Others, Fujifabric, Bob is Sick, Contemporary-na Seikatsu, Dresscodes, Misokkasu, Kyuso Nekokami, Good Morning America, Arukara, FOLKS

Singles : Keytalk, Gesu no Kiwami Otome, Base Ball Bear, 04 Limited Sazabys, cinema staff, THE BAWDIES, Perfume

November
Albums : Base Ball Bear, WANIMA, Kinoko Teikoku, Bentham, Giraffepot, September Me, Arakawa Kentauros, The Cheserasera, Ubiquitous, Brian the Sun, Frederic, Suiyoubi no Campanella

Singles : KANA-BOON x Scenarioart, THE ORAL CIGARETTES, Wienners, HaKU, Hitorie, RADWIMPS, Straightener

The whole September/October/November trimester is crazy every year.

Slowdive

Banned
My list is pretty much the same as stump sock's plus Susumu Hirasawa, Maron Hamada. Lots of stuff to look forward to.

v I somehow forgot about that, and the new Electric Ribbon.

and the new koutei camera girl is out first week of december. they posted a short demo of what I can only assume is a sequel to "dance with mr. loneliness" on soundcloud yesterday

oh and also I asked Ricky about the new NECRONOMIDOL single, he says it should be out internationally on itunes etc in mid october. which is good for my wallet. they also added english lyrics to the video and they're hilarious

and the new Electric Ribbon.

sigh, one more for the list

In addition to the above mentioned I'm also looking forward to new hitomitoi, hy4_4yh, TWEEDEES, Sayonara Ponytail, and Maki Nomiya.

The two new Koutei Camera Girl members have twitter accounts now too:
https://twitter.com/ptkandptk
https://twitter.com/milky_tarachan
I thought their dynamic was perfect as four but I guess six is the magic number for girl groups now and it'll be interesting to see what they bring. I thought the same about BiSH as four but now LingLing has stolen my heart with quotes like this:
Whenever I go to a Kamattechan live, I feel like I'm going to die. It's jam-packed in the venue and I get pushed and start to fall, and then I think that if I fall I'm going to get trampled to death while still watching the show, so I always go feeling like I'm going to die. That's fun.
Plus the fact that she seems to have crippling shyness but has no problem handling cockroaches and primarily joined the group because she wanted to stagedive.

Apparently asCa is "graduating" from Electric Ribbon after this new single to focus on music production. Seems like weird timing since it's basically her group but I assume she'll still be producing their stuff.

Kurita

GOOD ON THE REEL announced the release of their second full album (three years since the last one) on december 2nd \o/ They released their major debut mini-album earlier this year so I didn't expect a new release. One of the tracks will be used as the ending theme for the Prison School drama (HaKU are doing the opening).
That cover <3

New TOTALFAT is a great "feel good" song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5MPzp9X0c8

Kurita

That's what I'm doing (and also cause I love watching live-action adaptations of silly works)

Man, 2015 is a good year for tie-ups.
HaKU and GOOD ON THE REEL for Prison School,
Gintama gets songs by Negoto, OKAMOTO'S, BLUE ENCOUNT, THREE LIGHTS DOWN KINGS
Yu-Gi-Oh's new theme songs by cinema staff and Mrs. GREEN APPLE
KANA-BOON doing a song for Boruto
KANA-BOON and Scenarioart for the highly anticipated Subete ga F ni Naru
KEYTALK and Good Morning America for Dragon Ball Super
KEYTALK, Quruli and Passepied for Kyoukai no Rinne
Galileo Galilei doing Haikyuu!!'s new ending theme
BUMP OF CHICKEN and UNISON SQUARE GARDEN for Kekkai Sensen

-
THE BACK HORN announced the release of a new album on november 25 :) Their 2014 album was surprisingly one of their best works, even if their early works are often considered as perfect. Wonder if it'll be as good.

Larsa

Also, the b-side on the Sakanaction single is really good and unexpected. It's so fucking funky.

I wonder if both the double A side singles (Eureka/Goodbye and Hasu no Hana/Sayonara wa Emotion) and this new single will appear on their next album. Hope it's a good and meaty album if that's the case.

Kurita

I think that's pretty much a given.
Now I just wonder if they're gonna release it this year... If the singles are anything to go by I know I'll love it, more than their self-titled one which was IMO a bit lackluster after DocumentaLy. It wasn't bad at all but it was too experimental.

Kurita

We'll see. Almost 3 years between two albums then.
2015 is fantastic releases wise, all I need now to make it perfect is just albums by Sakanaction, Galileo Galilei (they said it was coming this year), Hoshino Gen, THE ORAL CIGARETTES (doubt it'll happen, next single is out in November). That's all, otherwise I got everything I wanted this year, and more.
Didn't expect to discover new artists in 2015 that would once again give me a huge slap in the face like Awesome City Club, SHIT HAPPENING, Mrs. GREEN APPLE, PELICAN FANCLUB and THREE LIGHTS DOWN KINGS. I keep saying that every year is better than the last one but this has been true for a while now.

Top Bottom