• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

Just discovered this after watching the AoT live action movie.
Listen to their albums Entertainment (one of my favorite albums ever) and Tree released this year!
Anti-Hero doesn't sound like anything they've ever done though so don't expect other hip-hop songs haha

New Kyuso Nekokami PV, about worried dads and their daughters playing in a band.
http://youtu.be/tzO04hUbDNc
Amazing song and great PV as usual

Mexen

Listen to their albums Entertainment (one of my favorite albums ever) and Tree released this year!
Anti-Hero doesn't sound like anything they've ever done though so don't expect other hip-hop songs haha

New Kyuso Nekokami PV, about worried dads and their daughters playing in a band.
http://youtu.be/tzO04hUbDNc
Amazing song and great PV as usual

Cool stuff. I'll be sure to check it out. Cheers!

Slowdive

Banned
Nice description, so excited!

A near futuristic texture with extensiveness and eternity. Phantasmagoric multiple vocal chords. A magic of melody and words swimming high and flying deeply. His daemon sword with the innovative and edged brain furbishes your rusty mind. It's extremely perversive. He showers love on you from the top of perversive way. Three years from a jump of the former work. Hirasawa comes back in the Hirasawa style basis and steps forward to the new phase through ripening and deepening. A whole range of Hirasawa's unique tone is coming soon !

4cJwKmS.jpg

http://susumuhirasawa.com/special-contents/13th-hologram/index_en.html

Aizo

Banned
Japanese MusicGAF seems to be growing lately :)

I forget, is there anyone else living in Japan that posts here somewhat frequently?
I want someone to go see Sakanaction and/or Veltpunch with me in the next coming week in Osaka. I bet Sakanaction is already sold out..

Peru

tricot NA tour right around the corner. NY seems to be sold out, not sure about other places. Get your tickets.

Kurita

I am liking this.

Be sure to check their other stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jxjDAqulRo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_58aTTukqs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDJIatLL5mM

Lots of new PVs today!
New September Me! Looooove the song, the chiptune sonorities are a nice touch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFgmmPwiYgs
Cool to see Alice Mukaide in this, she's been in a lot of great PVs lately, like Frederic, tofubeats, Kusou Iinkai...

New Arukara
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwbFD_R1aPw
They look pretty cool with suits...

New Kankaku Piero, featuring girls awkwardly kissing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4I9bjviQu8
Interesting, they're gonna release their new mini-album on iTunes (first time they release something digitally) but it'll have a completely different tracklist (except for this track).

This doesn't strictly fit the topic but a few people mentioned them here already, so why not: thanks to the people that mentioned Kero Kero Bonito coming to North America, because I would've missed their Toronto date otherwise!

yvUrjBDl.jpg

and more

Pretty sweet show, though the hour-and-a-half DJ set beforehand wore thin pretty quick. (Why bother having such an early doors open if you're just going to have DJs play for longer than the only band on the bill? Baffling.) Crowd was super into it and the band was pretty adorbs. The two guys in the back were great at goofing it up every now and then, and Sarah's a fun frontwoman. If you get the chance and you're into them, go see them! Who knows when you'll get another opportunity?

I went to I-rabbits concert yesterday. It was unbelievable atmosphere was fantastic as well as band performance. It's so loud that your inner resonances with music and it feels really good. I definitely want to go to more concerts it's so much fun. I got tickets for Toe and UVERworld concert so far.

Toe was great live, j-indie concerts in general are pretty awesome.

Tricot coming to toronto in 7 days! hype.

Kurita

Listened a lot to The Mirraz's latest mini-album this week.
I have to say, I didn't know The Mirraz doing EDM was something I wanted, and here we are. They're not even doing super elaborate EDM tunes, you can feel that they're a rock band and that they just wanted to try something new, and it works! You can still hear their instruments, the real drums give the songs an extra oomph. The two first tracks have a somewhat ominous feel to them, kinda reminding me of Justice's Stress, while being party tunes material. They also do some more upbeat (not really the right word) tunes, reminding me of something tofubeats could do. +81(0)3にて is a chill song that could totally be the music you hear in Phantasy Star Online's HUB city.
So yeah I'm pretty impressed by it, didn't expect that. Pretty sure they'll come back to rock next time but I wouldn't mind them doing more songs like these.
You can listen to it in its entirety on their Youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0e8ePiTw8U
And the two music videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMwGob5Ooak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ladmqK_wfaY

Slowdive

Banned
BILLIE IDLE presents Brand-new Idle Society is happening on December 12th, a live show featuring BILLIE IDLE, Lui Frontic, POP (with Saki apparently!) Maison Book Girl and Tentenko.

Oomori had the baby and has already announced a live show for February.

Nice KKB pics chrominance! I'm going to have to see them live the next time they play the UK, even if they don't play near me.

Slowdive

Banned
Tentenko and Toshiji Mikawa are releasing an album in February. :)

Also "perversive" has been removed from the description of Hirasawa's album on his site haha.

Star Train is pretty bad.

Tentenko and Toshiji Mikawa are releasing an album in February. :)

hah, good. they've become pretty close friends recently it seems like. he even gave her some equipment recently.

I keep meaning to frame the photo of him that came with that BiS Kaidan album and put it on my desk at work because it cracks me up

Kurita

Still can't believe I'll see RADWIMPS tomorrow for their first show ever in the West. And in a super tiny livehouse! I can't fucking wait.
Still shaking my head at the fact that it's not sold-out...

New promising band, Healthy Dynamite Club (stop with band names that have Club plz), featuring THE NAMPA BOYS's vocalist
https://youtu.be/c8_FyeRMkAo
It's upbeat/highly energetic funk, kinda reminding me of Zainichi Funk.

Infinite

This doesn't strictly fit the topic but a few people mentioned them here already, so why not: thanks to the people that mentioned Kero Kero Bonito coming to North America, because I would've missed their Toronto date otherwise!

yvUrjBDl.jpg

and more

Pretty sweet show, though the hour-and-a-half DJ set beforehand wore thin pretty quick. (Why bother having such an early doors open if you're just going to have DJs play for longer than the only band on the bill? Baffling.) Crowd was super into it and the band was pretty adorbs. The two guys in the back were great at goofing it up every now and then, and Sarah's a fun frontwoman. If you get the chance and you're into them, go see them! Who knows when you'll get another opportunity?
They playing in Brooklyn tonight. Going to see them

I don't want to say Star Train is awful, but it contains basically zero of the reasons I listen to Perfume.

it does contain what I think is the most obnoxious trend in modern music, the "whoa-oh" anthem bullshit so I'm right on board with you. Pick Me Up/Relax in the City was so good too.

at least it's still better than Hold Your Hand

Tain

I was surprised at the Star Train previews with the whole anthem sound thing, but I think I miiiiight like it about as much as Relax in the City after a few listens. Nowhere near Pick Me Up tho.

when can I expect a new album announcement already

Zoe

For a song that's supposed to be celebrating their anniversary, it sure is nothing like anything they usually put out.

Kurita

Perfume - Star Train

So good. Love the anthemic vibe it has going on. It sounds like a great concert closer also.

Loooooove that song.
I really like the fact that their songs are a bit more than EDM/techno-pop these days. That chorus just makes me want to go to a show and sing with the crowd.
Man, there hasn't been a single song I didn't like by them in forever. Sweet Refrain (and its b-side), Hold Your Hand, Cling Cling, DISPLAY, Pick Me Up, Relax In The City and now this... Next album is gonna be great.

squidyj

yvUrjBDl.jpg

and more

reminds me of PC Music stuff, pretty cool.

Kansoku

I don't want to say Star Train is awful, but it contains basically zero of the reasons I listen to Perfume.

Same. So far I've liked all the singles and their B-Sides (Hold Your Hand was the weakest but I still like it), but this is doing nothing for me. It's going to be the next album's Mirai no Museum for me.

The more I listen to Star Train the more disappointed I am. It's like Nakata wanted to capitalize on the popularity of Wiz Khalifa's See You Again with a vaguely Perfume-ized cover. Even his worst songs usually have one or two musical tricks that another producer probably wouldn't have thought of, instead of one that simply repeats the same chord progression for four and a half minutes. Also, he needs to listen to the new Koutei Camera Girl demo to find out how to incorporate big-room house elements into Capsule songs without them ending up generic and lame.

Nachos

Thought I'd start posting here since I've been adding a lot more Japanese music to my rotation lately. I basically fell off listening to new stuff about two years ago for whatever reason, and lurking to hear what everyone else has been posting has felt like a great way to get back up to speed. Just started listening to Pirokalpin's newest album.

Also, is anyone here going to Tricot's DC show tomorrow?

Slowdive

Banned
Probably not going to happen, and I feel like I've said this a lot but Perfume really need a new producer, Kyary too. MEG's music with Nakata was great but her recent stuff is even better without him. Get TeddyLoid in or something.

probably never gonna happen with Perfume, at least not in any foreseeable future.

Kyary needs to unhitch her wagon from that trainwreck though, he's throwing her half-aborted ideas that should have never made it to tape lately.

Also, is anyone here going to Tricot's DC show tomorrow?

if I wasn't old and tired and it wasn't on a tuesday night I might have. it's a bit of a trip into the city.

Kansoku

MEG's music with Nakata was great but her recent stuff is even better without him.

Ehhhhhhhhhhh. Her stuff with Nakata was kinda mediocre IMO. There were some really good songs on BEAM, STEP and MAVERICK, but the rest were kinda bad. CONTINUE is still miles batter than his stuff, I have to agree.

faridmon

Just dropping by to say the new Mirraz record is fucking amazing

Mirraz + EDM-like music = Heaven!

kthanksbye

Still can't believe I'll see RADWIMPS tomorrow for their first show ever in the West. And in a super tiny livehouse! I can't fucking wait.
Still shaking my head at the fact that it's not sold-out...

So jealous. Was thinking of going to the London show, but sadly I can't afford £35 because my gig schedule is packed for the month (and for the next 2 month for that matter)

Oh and the London one is not sold out either. I suppose Their sound is more indie (as opposed to Jpop or Visual Kei) which does not have a large following in the west.
I can also imagine Sakanaction not selling out to be fran (unless they already did)

GutsOfThor

Have to say that I'm not really feeling Star Train. It's just bad.....

Tokimeki Lights looks to be the standout track for me based on what I've heard.

Peru

Probably not going to happen, and I feel like I've said this a lot but Perfume really need a new producer, Kyary too. MEG's music with Nakata was great but her recent stuff is even better without him. Get TeddyLoid in or something.

Dsagree. For every other artist he works with - yes. His inspiration ran out with Kyary. Kyary NEEDS someone else. He gets lazy even with capsule albums. But for Perfume? He always seems inspired. Even if I don't like the direction of every single, at least it sounds like he's trying - they're not predictable, almost always interesting in some way. There's a special chemistry there central to Perfume's career.

And if he actually let them co-write this song that's a miracle considering how stubbornly he's held on to solo credits. Source?

Top Bottom