• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Zoe

Didn't know idol rules applies to 30+ year old tarentos.

but man if Becky's Live B music show gets cancelled because of this I'm going to be pissed.
You're married to the job. Relationships are expected to be kept private until marriage for any celebrity.

But this one is scandalous because he's married. That would ding any
female
celebrity.

But this one is scandalous because he's married. That would ding any
female
celebrity.

The amazing thing is that it didn't hurt Sayuringo at all. She got caught with a dude that was married and Nogizaka just ignored it and kept on going like nothing happened.

Aizo

Banned
People aren't happy with Enon.
"あなたの作る音楽、あなたの歌う歌は大好きでしたが、あなたのことは人間として大嫌いです。"
That's one of the more tame posts I've seen on his Instagram.
There are also some people making really apropos statements about the irony: 不倫してるやつが失恋ソングだったり恋愛ソング歌ってるって笑えない
Still, I like the guy's music, regardless of how this scandal ends up. Best case scenario is a misunderstanding. Worst case scenario, he's a scumbag, but I that wouldn't affect my feelings about his music (besides now pointing out the irony in the songs about heartbreak).

Kurita

A story like that really isn't enough to make me dislike his work yeah. If it's true it's shitty but whatever, it's his private life.

vanty

the funny thing is that Nogizaka46's Sayuri Matsumura just recently got busted banging a married dude and effectively got off scot-free.

I disliked her within the first few episodes of Nogibingo then later on when I read about that I couldn't fucking believe it. She's caught with a married father, says she's sorry that being caught has hurt the other girls, then doesn't even get dropped from the next single. And continues to get more of a push than any second gen member.

jbug617

Banned
Fukase's Vocaloid is coming out at the end of the month

Demos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M60bNWB0Nxo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GShmxMURZRg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v35NaLXDUIM

CYLY_TsUkAElt8Y.jpg

Aizo

Banned
A story like that really isn't enough to make me dislike his work yeah. If it's true it's shitty but whatever, it's his private life.
That's pretty much always how I feel about artists that I like in film, music, etc. There are situations that would make someone too horrible to support, but this isn't one of 'em. It's really not my business to judge, even if it's true. I don't know all the information, and I never will.

I disliked her within the first few episodes of Nogibingo then later on when I read about that I couldn't fucking believe it. She's caught with a married father, says she's sorry that being caught has hurt the other girls, then doesn't even get dropped from the next single. And continues to get more of a push than any second gen member.

I think the lack of any sort of penalty for her is because of the potential repercussions on the group as a whole. Any punishment would've put that story in the headlines longer as everyone would talk about how and why a staple of the senbatsu is absent. It was also in their best interest to make it go away fast as the scandal hit around a week or so before their newest single was scheduled to release.

Peru

Splatoon pop taking over would be cool

bYUL6lp.jpg

指原莉乃[マイケル・ムーアのように]
アイドルの枠を更新し続けるアイドルが、今度はドキュメンタリー映画の“監督”に挑戦

Can someone explain to me why this Kawatani thing affects Becky so much? Like it seems like (from what I've read) most people are blaming her for all this and she's facing a lot of career issues from it.

Worst case scenario, he's a scumbag and she's getting dragged into this. Best case scenario it's just made up -- those LINE messages look really super fake to me for a bunch of reasons -- and people are rushing to conclusions.

Kurita

Because people are dumb and care too much about this kind of thing, that's just the world we live in.
And since she's more famous than him she automatically gets more hate from it I guess. That's what happens all the time.

Zoe

Can someone explain to me why this Kawatani thing affects Becky so much? Like it seems like (from what I've read) most people are blaming her for all this and she's facing a lot of career issues from it.

Worst case scenario, he's a scumbag and she's getting dragged into this. Best case scenario it's just made up -- those LINE messages look really super fake to me for a bunch of reasons -- and people are rushing to conclusions.

The conversations are real enough that they had to comment on them.

While I agree the attention is disproportionate, she's not without blame if she did hook up with a married man.

jbug617

Banned
People digged up old Kawatani Tweets. He made some harsh tweets about Miwa (says that she is making a joke of music) and Flumpool (compared the vocal performance to a Johnny's group and gossiped about the bassist dating a celebrity).

Kurita

Don't see how that's relevant though (especially when he posted that in 2011 when indigo la End barely started, he was a nobody)

Shiho Nanba has started her own label with Tower Records called sparkjoy records (how many labels do they have now?) and will release a new album soon. Her last musical release was 2012 so it's about time. Four years seems like an eternity in J-music even though it's a pretty reasonable downtime most anywhere else.

For fans of Cymbals, a new Shibuya-kei band called Pollyanna, complete with a young Reiji Okii impersonator on bass.

New Natsu no Mamono video confirms that Mari Mizuta is their masked mystery woman although I think that was already known.

By my count, this debut song by a 3B junior unit is the third idol song composed by Mariko Goto. I wasn't aware of that fact when I first heard it and I never would have guessed it was hers, but I can sort of hear it in retrospect. I like the song but I suspect certain fans of hers won't. Based on her comment on the YMM! album it seems that writing for idols has brought new happiness into her life and that's a good thing whatever you may think of the music.

New solo stuff from TRASH-UP idols who aren't very good singers but are awesome nonetheless, Risa Satosaki and Nayuta of Avandoned.

New Natsu no Mamono video confirms that Mari Mizuta is their masked mystery woman although I think that was already known.

I'm going to pretend that I knew this all along and not that I feel like a dummy for not making the connection.

New solo stuff from TRASH-UP idols who aren't very good singers but are awesome nonetheless, Risa Satosaki and Nayuta of Avandoned.

Nayuta <3

do you know if she writes her own solo stuff? also I don't know if you've seen her Miss ID audition but it's hilarious and adorably awkward/kind of bad

What's up, J-Music GAF? I know we're a week into 2016, but does anyone know the best place to watch the Kouhaku performances? I'm trying to track down a performance that I really liked. Only clues I can provide are that it was a female singing that had two dancers at her sides, and they were all wearing traditional outfits. A slick dude wearing a hat was casually singing behind her, laying down for much of the performance. It was all so smooth, jazzy, and pleasing to listen to. I'm desperate to listen to more of her/his/their work.

HALP PLZ

What's up, J-Music GAF? I know we're a week into 2016, but does anyone know the best place to watch the Kouhaku performances? I'm trying to track down a performance that I really liked. Only clues I can provide are that it was a female singing that had two dancers at her sides, and they were all wearing traditional outfits. A slick dude wearing a hat was casually singing behind her, laying down for much of the performance. It was all so smooth, jazzy, and pleasing to listen to. I'm desperate to listen to more of her/his/their work.

HALP PLZ

That was Shiina Ringo's performance, song's called "Nagaku Mijikai Matsuri"

here's an upload on some random video site http://alive.in.th/watch_video.php?v=RXY93B94RWR1

popyea

I've been listening to a lot of Shiina/Tokyo Jihen recently, she's great. Also the guy singing with the guitar is from Zazen Boys right? I like their newer stuff too.

Nayuta <3

do you know if she writes her own solo stuff? also I don't know if you've seen her Miss ID audition but it's hilarious and adorably awkward/kind of bad

The song she just posted is a cover but I think she just writes lyrics and not music. I suspect the music is handled by the same guy that composes Avandoned songs (&#20304;&#12293;&#26408;&#20108;&#37070;). The first song here especially sounds like his stuff.

where is the better place to buy from Amazon Japan or CD Japan? Mostly going to buy CDs and Blurays.

amazon's usually cheaper and faster, but a little harder to navigate if you don't know japanese. they also won't ship games and rarely, some dvds.

cdjapan has some stuff you can't get elsewhere, and they'll include preorder bonuses, which amazon doesn't do. everything is searchable via romaji. they sell games, and usually at pretty good prices compared to competitors.

Zoe

You can at least switch the interface on Amazon to English. They are also more likely to have sales.

I stopped ordering from them though when DHL charged me import fees in America.

Kurita

amazon's usually cheaper and faster, but a little harder to navigate if you don't know japanese. they also won't ship games and rarely, some dvds.

cdjapan has some stuff you can't get elsewhere, and they'll include preorder bonuses, which amazon doesn't do. everything is searchable via romaji. they sell games, and usually at pretty good prices compared to competitors.

??
Amazon has preorder bonuses, I always get them.
And you can use it in English.

oh, you're lucky. I've never gotten any bonuses, even if other retailers have them.

the site can be changed to english but not product names or descriptions, that's what I was getting at. if there are multiple versions or something and you don't understand the language it can get rough, even with google translate. this coming from someone who's been there.

Zoe

oh, you're lucky. I've never gotten any bonuses, even if other retailers have them.

the site can be changed to english but not product names or descriptions, that's what I was getting at. if there are multiple versions or something and you don't understand the language it can get rough, even with google translate. this coming from someone who's been there.

Knowing the catalog number helps greatly with that. Those are easy to find.

3 lists, 3 Suiyoubi!

J-Music GAF album of the year apparently

I liked everything on Larsa's list except that Uminote album, just not enough for most to break into the top 20. that Urbangarde album is the first of theirs that actually left an impression on me.

e: to expand, Uminote seem like something I should like; they're noisy and weird enough. their music just seems to bounce off of me though. I feel like they're one song away from hooking me.

Kurita

Well, I guess, but if I had done a proper top 40 it would be at the bottom of the list tbh haha

Speaking of Suiyoubi, I got the Mainichi Futeneko manga for Christmas, it's a 4koma about music, and it's got a commentary by Kom_i on it :lol

Larsa

J-Music GAF album of the year apparently

I liked everything on Larsa's list except that Uminote album, just not enough for most to break into the top 20. that Urbangarde album is the first of theirs that actually left an impression on me.

Yeah, if I had done a top 20 I would probably have included Koutei Camera Girl, Xinlisupreme, Bokutachi no Iru Tokoro, Boku to Georges and Oyasumi Hologram.

Kurita

Bookmarking these best-of-2015 lists, thank you all for helping a newbie out!

You're welcome, I mainly do that as a personal memo but I've been getting a certain number of thank you messages over the past year from people who said they discovered a lot of cool artists thanks to my recommendations, so I'm glad it helps!
Waiting for your feedback as well.

Top Bottom