• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

For me it's all about とおりゃんせ. I haven't found anything by them I like even nearly as much. I guess I should try this newest album?

You should definitely at least give it a listen to see. Though I'd say if you like their more restrained stuff you won't find it here. Almost everything is just a little more energetic and even adventurous.

but like Kansoku, I firmly, unquestionably think it's their best release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6aj-hpk6AY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gm7qYBkfr8

Tokinowa is what got me into them =P
at the very least, it's what took me from "eh, whatever" to paying sharp attention to them

Peru

tricot is on my year end top 10 but "THE" is in my top 10 albums of ALL TIME so in comparison this didn't hit quite as hard.

Kurita

For me it's all about とおりゃんせ. I haven't found anything by them I like even nearly as much (MATATABISTEP was cool though). I guess I should try this newest album?
MATATABISTEP was the first song that actually grabbed my attention. I listened to their 2013 releases cause they were friends with bands I digged but didn't enjoy them that much until that song.
That and I enjoy female vocalists more than before, so that helps.

For me it's all about とおりゃんせ. I haven't found anything by them I like even nearly as much (MATATABISTEP was cool though). I guess I should try this newest album?

I got into Passepied thanks to that song, and I wasn't the biggest fan of their new album. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I have that feeling of a band trying to be bigger and brighter in every way, and somehow losing a bit of what I thought made them unique. There are definitely some catchy tunes, so it's not a bad album by any means. I guess it just sounds a bit same-y and glossy to me, and nothing really stands out like とおりゃんせ did when I first heard it. It was also a bit of a letdown after the Tokinowa and Ura no Ura singles, which had good A-sides but killer B-sides. Only later did I learn that my two favourite tracks (NEW MUSIC MACHINE and スパイ対スパイ) are actually covers of Cornelius and early Pizzicato Five. Huh.

AOTY stuff: I already posted a general writeup in the GAF AOTY thread, but for Japanese stuff specifically:

tricot - A N D
Suiyoubi no Campanella - Zipang
Negoto - Vision
DAOKO - DAOKO
Charisma.com - OLest
OK?NO!! - Rhapsody
Especia - Primera
Wata Megumi - Sainanda wa
Remigai - Fenestica
Negicco - Rice & Snow

The Passepied and tofubeats albums were the two I was surprised to find didn't leave much impact on me.

18827-gijto46jp6.jpg

WEAVER have released an album track from their upcoming album 'NIGHT RAINBOW'

01. Overture
02. You
03. くちづけDiamond
04. さよならと言わないで
05. クローン
06. KOKO
07. マーメイド
08. Beloved
09. Welcome!
10. Boys & Girls
11. Life
12. Hello Goodbye

Rainy

Banned
KOKO is really good, but I always love Weaver music so I might be a bit biased heh.

Edit: Also where do you guys usually order CDs from? I want to pre-order this Weaver release.

Zoe

Woah, no way! Nikkan Sports says that all of them are leaving the agency except for KimuTaku.

That's kind of hard to believe.

It seems like one of the keys to the apparently disbandment is that the guy that raised them once they became a group has left Johnnys. He was a chief manager.

SMAP are mega popular right? That's huge.

they're like #12 all-time best record sales in the country, but that's not including their live shows, dvds, long-running popular television shows...

B'z are still apparently WAY in the lead for all-time record sales, that probably won't be topped for a long time

Zoe

SMAP's music has been an afterthought for most of their careers. The impact of this is going to be felt in all of their other works.

neshcom

Banned
If I was 40 and in a boyband for almost 30 years, I don't know if I'd still want to be in a boy band either. All those guys have managed to carve out other media outlets, right?

Kurita

If I was 40 and in a boyband for almost 30 years, I don't know if I'd still want to be in a boy band either. All those guys have managed to carve out other media outlets, right?

Yeah. Honestly, like Zoe said, all their non-music stuff are almost as important (same can be said for other acts tbh). Their TV shows were/are pretty popular.

KOKO is really good, but I always love Weaver music so I might be a bit biased heh.

Edit: Also where do you guys usually order CDs from? I want to pre-order this Weaver release.

Glad to see another Weaver fan!. I thought I was the only one in the thread ha.

I use CDJapan for my CDs/DVDs.

The only thing I know about SMAP are their out of tune performances with other artists.

as far as I'm concerned, the most important thing to know about SMAP is

Around 3 am on April 23, 2009, Kusanagi was arrested on suspicion of public indecency. Reportedly he was dancing naked while under the influence of alcohol in Hinokicho park in Akasaka, Minato, Tokyo. When confronted by police who were called to the spot he responded "What's wrong with being naked? (裸だったら何が悪い Hadaka dattara naniga warui?)", which went on to become an online meme in Japan

Zoe

So the agency has confirmed something is going on behind the scenes, but because discussions are still underway, they can't respond to any inquiries right now.

jbug617

Banned
So the agency has confirmed something is going on behind the scenes, but because discussions are still underway, they can't respond to any inquiries right now.

wouldn't shock me if Johnny's want a farewell concert from the group before they separate.

broz0rs

Regarding the SMAP disbandment, it's been rumored for awhile that SMAP's manager, Iijima Michi wants to be the next successor to Johnny & Associates. Supposedly, she will leave the company by the end of this month because she lost out to Johnny Kitagawa's own niece. SMAP members are extremely loyal to her because she pretty much guided and sustained their careers. Everything is just rumors though because J&A is notorious for keeping all this stuff internally.

My own concern is I don't think any ex-Jonnys have had a decent career once they leave the agency, so will SMAP members take the risk? Each of them are highly successful, but Nakai and Kimura are heads above the rest.

I'm kind of curious if they'll do a Top Gear type thing and just stick together and become SMARP or something. I think Kimura would do fine going solo but I have less faith in someone like Kusanagi. I think he'd pretty quickly go from variety show host to variety show bleacher filler. Sticking together would give them all more weight and would be a pretty impressive get for whoever ends up taking them on.

news_header_afrirampo_art201601.jpg

Afrirampo are reuniting for a few shows!

Regarding the SMAP disbandment, it's been rumored for awhile that SMAP's manager, Iijima Michi wants to be the next successor to Johnny & Associates. Supposedly, she will leave the company by the end of this month because she lost out to Johnny Kitagawa's own niece. SMAP members are extremely loyal to her because she pretty much guided and sustained their careers. Everything is just rumors though because J&A is notorious for keeping all this stuff internally.

My own concern is I don't think any ex-Jonnys have had a decent career once they leave the agency, so will SMAP members take the risk? Each of them are highly successful, but Nakai and Kimura are heads above the rest.

I don't care much about Johnny's acts but the behind the scenes stuff is pretty interesting. This interview with Mary Kitagawa (Johnny's sister) from a year ago is a must read. She's like an over the top character from a drama.

Kurita

Grabbed Mrs. GREEN APPLE's first full album, TWELVE.
One of my most anticipated albums of 2016 is finally out and it delivered. Everything I wanted and more. Everything I love about Japanese pop-rock packed in one album. They remind me a lot of RADWIMPS at times. Just like their seniors they can do quite poppy songs without forgetting to rock out like crazy with harsh sounds. I'm just amazed to see that a band that formed only 2 and half years ago, lead by two 19yo dudes, manage to create. Motoki (vocals) has some serious talent, and I can feel his charisma/attitude just by listening to his voice.
I see a bright future for them, they can totally be the next KANA-BOON.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEaKVmkQ6I4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KUA-1DvQZk

Got the CD on its way, along with Gesu no Kiwami Otome's new album. Didn't buy the digital version for Gesu like I did with Mrs GREEN APPLE cause my brain wouldn't be able to keep up.

Angela Aki
Genre: Pop (with amazing vocal and piano skills -- fuck yeah!)
7tE2d.jpg

Some of my Favorite Tracks:
This Love
Today
Again
BONUS COVER SONGS:
Faye Wong's "Eyes on Me" (from Final Fantasy VIII)
Seal's "Kiss from a Rose" (from... Batman Forever, lol)
Bob Dylan's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"

There's plenty more, but I'm not trying to flood the page. Maybe in another post, but I'm sure none of you like my taste in J-Music anyway. :lol

YAAAS! Angela Aki is great! she did the ending song for final fantasy xii kiss me goodbye which is lovely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCtYn9Opmno

Top Bottom