• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

these are dope

deets please

well for the former you're going to be disappointed because most of her stuff is noise/experimental and that's really the only song like it.

but good news, all of KOTO's stuff is like that. Platonic Planet has actually kind of been 2016's album of 2015 for me. I listened to it a shit ton when it came out, gave it a rest, and am now back to listening to it daily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1g2oVijJlw

and if you run out of KOTO, her producer is a member of Recoride, who are also amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_WiLL9Gqro

With パスピエ in mind, 印象派 might fit as well (thinking of stuff like Volcanic Surfer and Miss Flashback).
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKY-J4Tmt0MlbEJ6gTWguI6ksE4NcyJUt

good call, they do the minimalist, slightly funky thing too

e: haha I was THIS CLOSE to posting a school food punishment song and backed off, thinking it wouldn't fit

daydream

Banned
With パスピエ in mind, 印象派 might fit as well (thinking of stuff like Volcanic Surfer and Miss Flashback).

oh man this seems right up my alley, as well

well for the former you're going to be disappointed because most of her stuff is noise/experimental and that's really the only song like it.

but good news, all of KOTO's stuff is like that. Platonic Planet has actually kind of been 2016's album of 2015 for me. I listened to it a shit ton when it came out, gave it a rest, and am now back to listening to it daily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1g2oVijJlw

and if you run out of KOTO, her producer is a member of Recoride, who are also amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_WiLL9Gqro

i said goddamn, that koto girl is on fire

i'll look into recoride. thanks, bud!

Crystal Kay is releasing a new single『サクラ』on 3/23, nice to see her active again so soon after an album.

ck160126.jpg
Miwa's ballad album collection has come and gone but I've only just seen this gorgeous promo so

DamnBoxes

Overwhelmed by the content here, y'all are amazing. Thank you!

I have a good friend doing her thesis on Japanese hip-hop.
Can any of you please come through with some dope tracks in that genre?

daydream

Banned

If we talk strictly about electronic infused rock, school food punishment, white white sisters and Hello Sleepwalkers might fit in as well.

thanks again for bringing up 印象派, definitely going all-in on them. really awesome.

Kurita

The Flickers will release a new full album on March 23th, really looking forward to that. It will be their first release with their three support members so I expect something more ambitious.

New BUMP OF CHICKEN is pretty dope (kinda weird that they included a generic dance beat in the song)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVrM-BxWybA

A former Electric Ribbon member has become neo-techno-kayo singer NAOMiRUSTY on a Disk Union sublabel. Music produced by Dr.Usui. She released two quick singles that I didn't know about and has an album out in March.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZKtjFP8eDE

caught that earlier via a twitter notice of all things, it's fantastic.

also lol at the dour looking girl on the bottom right. why not, I have room in my heart for another idol group I guess.

e: also yeah this METAFIVE isn't half bad once you get past that first track. nothing super memorable, but enjoyable enough

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Do we talk about AKB here? I was watching some variety show and the song about Fortune Cookies came up and I surprisingly liked it a lot (love the Goose House cover more though) and thought I should maybe dig a little more into the rabbit hole. Any recommendations for their songs?

jbug617

Banned
Do we talk about AKB here? I was watching some variety show and the song about Fortune Cookies came up and I surprisingly liked it a lot (love the Goose House cover more though) and thought I should maybe dig a little more into the rabbit hole. Any recommendations for their songs?

Not a big fan but I enjoy these:

Mae Shika Mukanee
Flying Get
Green Flash
Bokutachi wa Tatakawanai

Heavy Rotation and Aitakatta are also big songs for them.

Jintor

where do you butts grab your music anyway?

i got a bunch of charisma.com cds at that last live show and realised when i got home i have no cd player at all. none. nada. had to cart them back to australia before i ripped 'em, lol.

i'm thinking i'll go to the june osaka concert since the nagoya concert is kinda dicey for me

broz0rs

People here generally like AKB for their variety entertainment work more than their music, but when they release a major single there is some discussion about it.

AKB and its sister groups have their music videos blocked on YouTube so it's difficult to share.

Kurita

where do you butts grab your music anyway?

i got a bunch of charisma.com cds at that last live show and realised when i got home i have no cd player at all. none. nada. had to cart them back to australia before i ripped 'em, lol.

i'm thinking i'll go to the june osaka concert since the nagoya concert is kinda dicey for me
Digital music : Ototoy, iTunes, Amazon MP3, HMV Digital

vanty

People here generally like AKB for their variety entertainment work more than their music, but when they release a major single there is some discussion about it.

AKB and its sister groups have their music videos blocked on YouTube so it's difficult to share.
So this doesn't work in America for example?

I kinda liked this HKT48 song (by 48G standards at least) from a few months ago.

But yeah the girls are funnier than the majority of professional Japanese comedians so it's a good thing the groups exist even when the songs are average at best.

SKE48 are there but looks to be all short versions for some reason. Weird when AKB have full length videos sometimes with English subs even.

broz0rs

So this doesn't work in America for example?

whoops.. my bad. forgot that this block applies to the US. So yes, every single one of them are blocked where I live. A few Nogizaka46 videos escapes the block because for some reason they are on Sony Taiwan YouTube channel.

actually forgot about Nogi. I like their songs a lot better than 48g in general. This one also has an incredibly sweet MV to it.

Nogizaka46 - Nandome no Aozora ka?

llehuty

I thought their tour was only during April and May. Do you have any more info on this?

Also, a more general question to everyone, is there a place to check for concert dates in japan, or is it necessary to check every artist individually to know future events?

There is a high chance that I'll be one week in Japan in June, and would be cool if I could take the chance to see one of my faves live, although I'm assuming that buying tickets as a foreigner must be a pain in the ass.

Yes we do.......................

Some of their most popular singles

Heavy Rotation
UZA
Ponytail to shushu
Iiwake maybe
Gingham check
Bokutachi wa tatakawanai
Everyday kachuusha

I guess if you like these you could go on to listen to their stage albums

It's very hard figuring the discography of a japanese artist or band that you see in an opening in an anime because so little is on youtube and on spotify.

How the hell do you guys make playlists of your favorite japanese playlists? Do you just listen to itunes?

Kurita

It's very hard figuring the discography of a japanese artist or band that you see in an opening in an anime because so little is on youtube and on spotify.

How the hell do you guys make playlists of your favorite japanese playlists? Do you just listen to itunes?

Not sure what you mean. I just buy the music on iTunes/whatever music platform/buy the CDs if that's what you mean.

if anything, anime-related songs are usually the ones most likely to appear on youtube.

but yeah, I buy digitally whenever possible, cds otherwise.

for me, I realized at some point after starting to study japanese that suddenly a whole new world had opened. I was able to branch off of artists that I already liked and find similar ones. It went from a long-time interest to mild obsession.

It's much harder when you're just relying on google translate. It's why I, and presumably folks like Kurita post so much stuff here and on other forums. I got into the j-music scene largely on word of mouth and what stuff was occasionally pushed by english-language sites and magazines. If I drop enough links to stuff I like, maybe someone else will find something of use there.

But yeah the girls are funnier than the majority of professional Japanese comedians so it's a good thing the groups exist even when the songs are average at best.

too true. I missed out on what are arguably some of the most entertaining programs on all of japanese tv for the longest time because I didn't like their music.

that said, out of their entire discography, the only AKB48 songs that have ever won me over are Flying Get, Koi Suru Fortune Cookie, and Bokutachi wa Tatakawanai. and the (pre?)chorus of Aitakatta (suki naraba...) gets stuck in my head on the regular, thanks AKBingo

Kurita

if anything, anime-related songs are usually the ones most likely to appear on youtube.

Yeah.
Well, a lot of artists who do songs for anime are with Sony (since Sony produces a ton of them) so for the official music videos it's impossible to watch them anyway haha

It's much harder when you're just relying on google translate. It's why I, and presumably folks like Kurita post so much stuff here and on other forums. I got into the j-music scene largely on word of mouth and what stuff was occasionally pushed by english-language sites and magazines. If I drop enough links to stuff I like, maybe someone else will find something of use there.

That's true. I share what I like in hope to spark other people's interest. This way they can have some sort of starting point. No need to keep what I like for myself haha
And I'm like you, when I started learning Japanese a whole new realm of possibilities appeared. Using Twitter and discovering Natalie and RO69 changed my life. Relying only on English/French websites to get news and stuff basically meant being a year late on the Japanese music world (or alternatively, I would have never heard about a shit ton of artists I like now).

If the background music in this video is an indication, the new Kyary song sounds like Tangerine Dream? okay?

e: I'm stupid, that's actually Capsule's Wave Runner, which should speak to how quickly I forgot that album existed.

Kansoku

It was actually this thread that got me into J-music and pushed me to finally start learning Japanese (tho awful time for that, haven't got a lot of time due to college).

It was actually this thread that got me into J-music and pushed me to finally start learning Japanese (tho awful time for that, haven't got a lot of time due to college).

it's funny, the one thing that almost everybody says when people ask how to keep motivated when studying a language is "find your passion." I started Japanese as a kind of curiosity, finding new music turned it into a serious hobby. there's no way I'd study or engage with the language every day if wasn't so integral to other interests.

Aizo

Banned

This thread definitely was a motivating force to share music, and it's probably what made me become a contributor for Sparkplugged.net Met the guy who runs it when I visited Sapporo a couple years back, too. This is my favorite thread on GAF, and the people who I recall posting the most when I first joined the thread are some my favorite gaffers.
slowdive, Kurita, stump sock, kansoku, infinite, faridmon, larsa <3
You've all introduced me to so much cool music over the past couple years.
I like you, too, Peru. We just don't really listen to much of the same music besides some Momokuro. :p

The main reason I hardly post nowadays is because everyone started posting songs before I could as this thread saw more and more users become regulars. I guess I was most into Japanese music when I lived in Tokyo and could meet bands I liked. The height of all that was probably meeting the singer of Nothing's Carved in Stone and being put on the guest list by him for a show and backstage pass. Living in a place where I can no longer go to concerts has made me feel more removed from Japanese music, I guess. It'll all come back one day (in fact, there are some big things changing for me right now). I hope someone enjoyed my random rant.

broz0rs

if there is a Japanese language class in your college, take it even if it doesn't apply to your degree. Even though it was an extra workload, I took a semester and it's easily one of the best memories I ever have of my education.

Kyary in hospital after being attacked by Nocchi? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GazOrAnUzu8

tumblr_n8k1mawxC31s4m8cho1_500.gif

Relying only on English/French websites to get news and stuff basically meant being a year late on the Japanese music world (or alternatively, I would have never heard about a shit ton of artists I like now).

I feel bad for people that rely on English sites/Youtube. I've seen comments on Namie's music videos asking when full songs/videos will be released (when they've already been out for months), sad.

I feel bad for people that rely on English sites/Youtube. I've seen comments on Namie's music videos asking when full songs/videos will be released (when they've already been out for months), sad.

or worse, like when Buzzfeed posted the Golden Touch video with no mention of the artist name or anything, just "this japanese video is amazing" or whatever. I guess enough people complained or enough people asked who the singer was and they eventually changed it.

learning about japanese music from english sites is a grim prospect.

Jintor

it's funny, the one thing that almost everybody says when people ask how to keep motivated when studying a language is "find your passion." I started Japanese as a kind of curiosity, finding new music turned it into a serious hobby. there's no way I'd study or engage with the language every day if wasn't so integral to other interests.

basically yeah.

aside from my textbooks 100% of my reading material is about games or artists or tweets or whatever.

honestly if you don't care for what you can get out of a language, why would you bother learning it?

people shit on people getting into japanese for anime or manga or whatever but that's so goddamn stupid. if you've a passion and it'll help you why not use it to inspire you? obviously you still need foundations and stuff and you can't learn *just* from pop culture or whatever, but there's nothing wrong with it as a motivator at all.

people shit on people getting into japanese for anime or manga or whatever but that's so goddamn stupid. if you've a passion and it'll help you why not use it to inspire you? obviously you still need foundations and stuff and you can't learn *just* from pop culture or whatever, but there's nothing wrong with it as a motivator at all.

well anyone who's ever been in a japanese 101 class knows the drill. there's a reason why anime dork students get stereotyped.

it's funny, this is the third foreign language I've studied but is the only one that people have questioned, despite it being the one that's the most useful to me. you guys didn't think it was odd when I minored in german, but you don't understand this?

tell you what, german is a really cool language, and I really like the mechanics of it, but wow, there's like zero reason to learn it outside of personal interest.

--

on topic, Hachigatsu-chan does her impression of Minegishi's ad

Jintor

weeaboo stage is like a chrysallis stage for people who choose that path. eventually they either hit the wall or become actual language learners

you can't half-ass languages. well you can, but it's pretty easy to get exposed, which will either toss you out or force you to improve

Kurita

Yaaay, finally a name and a tracklist for AL's first album, which will be released on March 23rd!
In case you don't know them it's basically andymori 2.0 : the three original members of the band + Nagasawa Tomoyuki.
news_header_AL_art201511.jpg

&#24515;&#12398;&#20013;&#12398;&#33394;&#32025;
01. &#21271;&#26997;&#22823;&#38520;
02. HAPPY BIRTHDAY
03. &#12471;&#12515;&#12483;&#12479;&#12540;
04. &#12513;&#12450;&#12522;&#12540;&#12472;&#12455;&#12540;&#12531;
05. &#39080;&#12398;&#12394;&#12356;&#26126;&#26085;
06. 15&#12398;&#22799;
07. &#12354;&#12398;&#12454;&#12511;&#12493;&#12467;
08. &#12495;&#12540;&#12488;&#12398;&#30772;&#12426;&#26041;
09. &#24515;&#12398;&#20013;&#12398;&#33394;&#32025;
10. &#12521;&#12531;&#12479;&#12490;
11. Mt.ABURA BLUES
12. &#12373;&#12424;&#12394;&#12425;&#12472;&#12540;&#12472;&#12519;
13. &#33457;&#26463;
The song title are really andymori-ish so I assume we can expect a similar sound. Can't wait!

Top Bottom