• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

Bought Galileo Galilei's last album this week, Sea and The Darkness
EynMXop.jpg
Since that's their final release I couldn't help being a little sad while listening to it. It's not super upbeat and has a pretty big "indie rock" feel to it. For some reason there's like a vintage filter on every song, even the singles released earlier. So basically the album sounds like it's from 40 years ago, pretty weird but I guess it gives it some identity, and this way it ends up being far away from their electro-rock/britpop inspired sound they've been creating for a while now. That doesn't mean it's close to their early albums either though, it's another type of rock. Overall it's a damn good album and that's exactly the reason why it's rough to say goodbye to them cause they showed that they still had the capacity to produce a lot of excellent material.
Favorite songs of the album : ブルース, カンフーボーイ, 恋の寿命 (though that "filter" makes it less good than the single version), 青い血
If I had to rank the band's albums : PORTAL > ALARMS > Sea and The Darkness > See More Glass > Parade > Baby, It's Cold Outside > Hamanasu No Hana > Ame Nochi Galileo (of course every album is a must-listen)

Reversed

I started my Google Music trial, is there anything you guys could suggest to me a novice?

(Or should I ditch it and use Spotify or Apple Music?)

Kurita

Promo picture, cover and tracklist for Hitorie's new album, DEEPER.
01. GO BACKT TO VENUSFORT
02. シャッタードール
03. ワンミーツハー
04. Swipe, Shrink
05.トーキーダンス
06. 輪郭
07. フユノ
08. バスタブと夢遊
09. 後天症のバックビート
10. MIRROR

Learn baseball with The Mirraz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9InbgyQz2NQ

llehuty

Kyary with a 3rd World Tour this summer,

With the scheduled countries being:
tour-flag.png

Since I already saw Capsule and Perfume, I feel like now I need to see her. I would appreciate her having, at least, one good release this year.

ikuze

tour-flag.png

Since I already saw Capsule and Perfume, I feel like now I need to see her. I would appreciate her having, at least, one good release this year.

I would like to know why she skips all the other European locations she stopped last time. They were all sold out... -_-

Kurita

SiM to release their new full album, THE BEAUTiFUL PEOPLE, on April 6th. Cover by Atsushi Kaneko.
news_header_sim_jkt_thebeautifulpeple_sleeve.jpg

01. MAKE ME DEAD!
02. NO FUTURE
03. THE KiNG
04. Abel and Cain
05. Paradox
06. If I Die
07. I DUB U
08. Dance In The Dark
09. GUNSHOTS
10. CROWS
11. The Problem
12. EXiSTENCE
13. Life is Beautiful

---
Where we learn that KEYTALK's vocalist Kyosho is smaller (or the same size as) than some Momoiro Clover Z members

Speaking of small musicians, Sakiko Kitamura's new album is really good. She really does look like she's about 12 years old though, not 30 lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5dUNqJADp4

her album is so great. do you know if she has a condition or something or just hit the weird genetic lottery?

also the girl on the right of Kyosho is like 5' 2.5" so

I was wondering the same thing and looking up a couple of interviews she talks vaguely about having an incurable disease :(

aww that's too bad :(

Larsa

her album is so great. do you know if she has a condition or something or just hit the weird genetic lottery?

also the girl on the right of Kyosho is like 5' 2.5" so

I was wondering the same thing and looking up a couple of interviews she talks vaguely about having an incurable disease :(

Rainy

Banned
If I'm not mistaken both the WEAVER and Bump of Chicken albums come out on the same day. My two favorite bands! Woooow.

Nogizaka46 14th single senbatsu

maimai7csnc.jpg

Maimai is the center as most were expecting. And Miona is back in after being dropped for whatever reason. Next single should be interesting since Maimai's graduation will free up a new spot as she was a permanent member of the senbatsu. I'd expect the center for that single to go to Ikuchan or Maiyan. Although I still hope for a double center with Sakurai and Wakatsuki.

Kurita

If I'm not mistaken both the WEAVER and Bump of Chicken albums come out on the same day. My two favorite bands! Woooow.

Yes. This month has some pretty great releases coming.

February 3rd : GRAPEVINE, indigo la End
February 10th : BUMP OF CHICKEN, MAN WITH A MISSION, go!go!vanillas, Kuusou Iinkai, Dramatic Alaska, The Mirraz
February 17th : KANA-BOON
February 24th : Hitorie, amazarashi

Don't know what big non-rock release is out on February 10th but BUMP OF CHICKEN and MAN WITH A MISSION will basically dominate the charts this day/month.

March is also looking preeeetty good with new albums by NICO Touches the Walls, Misokkasu, SHISHAMO, Ame no Parade, Yoru no Honki Dance, Halo at Yonjouhan, Sukipparanisake, The Fin., The Flickers, Hello Sleepwalkers and AL,

^ I feel like idol joshi wrestling should be a thing ASAP

2/02- Megumi Wata
2/10- Ebichu
2/17- Avakaidan, Mikaten, Momoclo x2, Necronomidol, Seiko Oomori (single)
2/23- Jyu Jyu
2/24- Especia
3/02- charisma.com, TK from Lts
3/09- Edge Dub Monkeyz
3/11- X Japan
3/16- Boris/Merzbow
3/23- Hanae, Saoriiii, Seiko Oomori
4/01- Babymetal

What the hell, this Bellring Shoujo Heart album is amazing?

I've only been trying to push them for two years now, people are finally seeing the light ;)

man there's so much good stuff on there. 憂鬱のグロリア is so killer.

e: and I just read that Moechi is graduating in February. their turnover is ridiculous.

aww shucks.. that Himetan Beam girl didn't make the cut again

EsBLz9k.jpg

She's the one that people are most pissed about not making it. It's sorta the problem with them having so many permanent members of the senbatsu, as a good number of them are never going to be dropped from it. She's managed to gather a bigger following than many of the other girls since she's the older sister of Sumetal (from BABYMETAL).

Kurita

Shiritsu Ebisu Chugaku are getting songs by Yoshikatsu from KEYTALK as well as Fujifabric on their new album? Nice. Might give those a shot.

Shun

Bought Galileo Galilei's last album this week, Sea and The Darkness

Since that's their final release I couldn't help being a little sad while listening to it. It's not super upbeat and has a pretty big "indie rock" feel to it. For some reason there's like a vintage filter on every song, even the singles released earlier. So basically the album sounds like it's from 40 years ago, pretty weird but I guess it gives it some identity, and this way it ends up being far away from their electro-rock/britpop inspired sound they've been creating for a while now. That doesn't mean it's close to their early albums either though, it's another type of rock. Overall it's a damn good album and that's exactly the reason why it's rough to say goodbye to them cause they showed that they still had the capacity to produce a lot of excellent material.
Favorite songs of the album : ブルース, カンフーボーイ, 恋の寿命 (though that "filter" makes it less good than the single version), 青い血
If I had to rank the band's albums : PORTAL > ALARMS > Sea and The Darkness > See More Glass > Parade > Baby, It's Cold Outside > Hamanasu No Hana > Ame Nochi Galileo (of course every album is a must-listen)
I do not post here but I saw this.

I am still sad that they are done after this Spring. I listen to FOLKS as well but it just is not the same. I grew up with this band and followed them from my early high school years to now. Hometown heroes to me.

I am waiting for more music from whatever they do next and I will always cherish all the music and memories that they gave me.

It is so fitting that their final show is at Penny Lane where they all started.

Portal > Alarms > Sea of Darkness > Parade > See More Glass > Baby It's Cold Outside > Ame Nochi Galileo/Hananasu no Hana.

Asu e is probably my favorite single by them. Mrs. Summer is also one of my like song too.

Kurita

I also like FOLKS a lot but yeah it's not the same at all.
Portal is one of those albums that just blew my mind back in the day, not surprised to see that it's the favorite release for a lot of people.
I just hope we won't have to wait several years before getting new material.

Shun

Wednesday and Different Kinds are my favorite tracks on Sea of Darkness.

I still find it hilarious that Kazuki is such a diehard open iDOLM@STER fan.

Peru

MomoClo further establishing the rock-y sound they formed around Saraba, I guess. Not sure if this will hit, but the costumes are nice.

-
CaI6P7_UUAEfhAr.jpg

NANAKA covered a bit of ONE OK ROCK's 'Wherever you are' and it's beautiful

https://twitter.com/skknr/status/694144593055473664
https://twitter.com/skknr/status/694145629681881089

Not long now!

tour-flag.png

I'm tempted to go, but I haven't really kept up with Kyary for a while. Are her concerts full of cosplay...? because that sort of puts me off too.

e: and I just read that Moechi is graduating in February. their turnover is ridiculous.

:'(

I'm tempted to go, but I haven't really kept up with Kyary for a while. Are her concerts full of cosplay...? because that sort of puts me off too.

the photos from the western shows (Paris in particular) seem to indicate a high percentage of weebs

but I mean in general they're more tolerable at a show than at a convention I guess

llehuty

But are you going to do like with Perfume's documentary, paying the ticket but not going?
:p, I'm kidding. It's a pity you couldn't go.

ChryZ

Just go, it's the one place where it isn't out of place. The whole thing is like going to the circus while tripping on LSD, it all makes sense and snaps into place when you are there.

well for the former you're going to be disappointed because most of her stuff is noise/experimental and that's really the only song like it.

but good news, all of KOTO's stuff is like that. Platonic Planet has actually kind of been 2016's album of 2015 for me. I listened to it a shit ton when it came out, gave it a rest, and am now back to listening to it daily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1g2oVijJlw

and if you run out of KOTO, her producer is a member of Recoride, who are also amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_WiLL9Gqro

good call, they do the minimalist, slightly funky thing too

e: haha I was THIS CLOSE to posting a school food punishment song and backed off, thinking it wouldn't fit

This is so fantastic. I can't get enough.

Top Bottom