• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

taopriest

I was kinda worried Akira Ishige would replace Yuasa Shohei (Base Ball Bear) as guitarist permanently. He has to continue as frontman of a band. ^_^ That Nobuaki Okamoto is also proceeding his music career suprised me a bit. I'm looking forward to it.

tumblr_o3odan8yiS1u3d30oo2_540.jpg

CDJapan shipment came in!

New Especia: it feels like half of it is basically Amarga pt. 2, which is okay but not that exciting. The drum and bass vibe on Interstellar is nice, and the "after dark" versions of Boogie Aroma and Aviator are better than the originals, but otherwise this is kind of a mixed farewell to the band. I don't know what Haruka and Erika are going to do on their own, but right now I don't have high hopes for them recapturing that Gusto magic. Also: I think I was secretly holding out for a Maltine Girls Wave-level set from the remixes, but half of them are kind of bad. oh god what did they do to my precious Security Lucy.

New Charisma.com: HOT GODDAMNED FIRE. There have been better singles, but this is easily my favourite release of theirs. I know other people were complaining about the more poppy direction, but OLest actually sounds poppier and more straightforward to me.

Also finally got Capsule's CAPS LOCK because I'm now convinced it'll be their last interesting album, and everything from now on will just be tepid eurotrash EDM.

Slowdive

Banned
New Wakusei Abnormal album out June 1st.

---

Utada is doing the new ending theme for NEWS ZERO starting from April 4th, the same day as the drama she's done a theme song for airs, I wonder if we'll get an album announcement then as well.

jordisok

I think it was in this thread?? but thanks to whoever posted the Terauchi Masaaki solo stuff, been listening to it a lot.

also on first listen really enjoying this new Shishamo! Kinda forgot it was even out :|

Kansoku

So, the new ScenarioArt.

It's fairly different from their usual style. Tracks 3 and 4 are in the style of track 2 (that MV), track 5 is like a mix of new and old, and track 6 sounds a lot like Ame no Parade x ScenarioArt (the instrumentals sounds something straight out of New generations).

I'm not sure I like it, but man this band is all over the place.

Kurita

Yeah, runner-ups for the CD Shop Award (won by Hoshino Gen). Not surprised, WANIMA and Suiyoubi no Campanella are the two biggest indie acts of 2015.
Their popularity shot up at the same time.

Full preview of SiM's new album, sounds pretty great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_F80LIrCbg

listen to ellegardens bring your board

my favorite album from hosomi
Best ELLEGARDEN album is either Pepperoni Quattro or Eleven Fire Crackers imo First one is one of the classic Japanese pop-punk albums while Eleven Fire Crackers was their most elaborate release, pretty close to what the HIATUS's first album ended up being actually.
As far as best album by an Hosomi band heeeeh, it's a tie between Pepperoni Quattro and Keeper of The Flame (the HIATUS's 4th album) for me.

kasane

Yeah, runner-ups for the CD Shop Award (won by Hoshino Gen). Not surprised, WANIMA and Suiyoubi no Campanella are the two biggest indie acts of 2015.
Their popularity shot up at the same time.

Full preview of SiM's new album, sounds pretty great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_F80LIrCbg

Best ELLEGARDEN album is either Pepperoni Quattro or Eleven Fire Crackers imo First one is one of the classic Japanese pop-punk albums while Eleven Fire Crackers was their most elaborate release, pretty close to what the HIATUS's first album ended up being actually.
As far as best album by an Hosomi band heeeeh, it's a tie between Pepperoni Quattro and Keeper of The Flame (the HIATUS's 4th album) for me.

i just have a preference for bring your boards sound, it sounded like my teenage years, But my top 3 are definitely bring your board, eleven fire crackers and as you said keeper of the flame by the hiatus.

my favorite tracks on eleven fire crackers are space sonic, アッシュ, marie, acropolis and alternative plans

actually fuck it i loved that whole album

i just have a preference for bring your boards sound, it sounded like my teenage years, But my top 3 are definitely bring your board, eleven fire crackers and as you said keeper of the flame by the hiatus.

my favorite tracks on eleven fire crackers are space sonic, アッシュ, marie, acropolis and alternative plans

actually fuck it i loved that whole album

i took a listen to a few tracks of the groups you mentioned (whatever's avail on youtube in US) pretty good stuff.
they need some killer drums though =P

Kurita

Bought Yoru no Honki Dance's major debut album, it's soooooo good.
Perfect album to listen to after a boring/tiring day of school. Just hit play and move your body. It's short, 10 songs, 36 minutes, the ideal length for an energetic album, it stops before becoming repetitive. Can't recommend these guys enough. Hope they'll become super popular, they have the skills and the style to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnkPpSKv20c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826jthYJ6QU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHFZeM5z0K4

Plus, the drummer has a stache

Bought Yoru no Honki Dance's major debut album, it's soooooo good.

Perfect album to listen to after a boring/tiring day of school. Just hit play and move your body. It's short, 10 songs, 36 minutes, the ideal length for an energetic album, it stops before becoming repetitive. Can't recommend these guys enough. Hope they'll become super popular, they have the skills and the style to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnkPpSKv20c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826jthYJ6QU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHFZeM5z0K4

Plus, the drummer has a stache

only the last link is not blocked for me in the U.S.
i'm digging the song. (By My Side)

Aizo

Banned
My friend saw 科楽特奏隊 live. Looks like a fun show. It reminds me of the kind of stuff The Aquabats do at concerts, and their shows are great fun.

This same friend is really into Japanese indie groups—so much so that he invited some of the bands he likes to play a concert with him and his band to celebrate his birthday, and they rented out a livehouse for the event. So cool. I've played at two livehouses in Shimokitazawa, but his event is way more impressive! haha.

vanty

Did they just rename everything from the Japanese name to WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA today? I guess that's their "let's sell music outside of Japan now" name? All the MV titles and everything have replaced 水曜日のカンパネラ with WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA . Being used for SXSW as well.

Kurita

SEKAI NO OWARI also did this when they performed overseas, they used the name END OF THE WORLD.

Speaking of SuiCan, Komuai just graduated from college, yay

new Passcode album 5/25. sorry girls but moe and ghosts beat you to "CG spiky metal ball" art a couple years ago

--

the guy who puts on the underground idol streams in odd settings had one earlier today that I missed. at a survival game field, hah.

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv254696054

ft. Oyasumi Hologram, Avandoned, Maison Book Girl, Kuroneko no Yuuutsu, Electric Ribbon, etc

e: I've never heard of Eco Kaiju before but this performance is absolutely slaying me. this second song, fuck. cornball performance, solid music.

e2: not really feeling this steampunk group, but the girls are basically model-pretty. odd.

e3: Nayuta is missing from Avandoned, Beni singing her lines with her chain-smoker voice is cracking me up

e4: Eribon was unremarkable. Kuroneko no Yuuutsu spent half the set trying to crack each other up. 70% of the lyrics in Shounen A were changed to chants of CHINKO CHINKO CHINKO. I love these gals.

e5: Neutrino Onsen is a good name. One girl is wearing a mask, the other a panda puppet. no music is performed. I'm confused. also this is the shortest time period of "hidden face artist" to reveal in history?

e6: MBG still rule. new outfits are an improvement. Rin still looks like a rectangle. get that poor girl some clothes that fit. new song? good shit.

e7:

status quo at OyaHolo camp. new song still sounds great. lol @ calling Ogawa "DJ-sama" as he sprints off stage

e8: it's already been archived on certain sites, worth it

Kurita

Yaaaaay, new Straightener album on May 18th, same day as ART-SCHOOL's and cinema staff's new albums, hype
The promo pic for their upcoming single is cool as fuck
They also announced a pretty long tour so I absolutely need to go to one of their shows in September or November.

EDIT :
Did they just rename everything from the Japanese name to WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA today? I guess that's their "let's sell music outside of Japan now" name? All the MV titles and everything have replaced 水曜日のカンパネラ with WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA . Being used for SXSW as well.

Well, as far as Youtube is concerned it looks like they reverted back to the original name instead of WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA

Larsa

It's based on your location I think. All their videos are titled WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA for me now, but if I go to youtube with a japanese proxy it's 水曜日のカンパネラ. Didn't know that was possible, but hey.

Kurita

Haven't changed my settings/proxy and I had WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA when the video got posted, but now it's back to the Japanese name.

Weiiiiiiiird

It's based on your location I think. All their videos are titled WEDNESDAY CAMPANELLA for me now, but if I go to youtube with a japanese proxy it's 水曜日のカンパネラ. Didn't know that was possible, but hey.

whoa, you can do that? that's actually rad as heck

Top Bottom