• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Larsa

^ yeah I was listening to Platonic Planet earlier today and all I could think was I would rather just listen to Recoride. So I ended up listening to a bunch of Recoride, which was a good reminder of how fun they are. Tatta's slighly unhinged vocals are so much more interesting to me.
Going back to it now, I kinda feel guilty for leaving FRESHLESS of my 2015 top 10 list.

I need my favs to release some new music

---

Best picture of the week
12424623_849263908517625_637614376_n.jpg

who are your favs?

Top favourites would be; Namie, Perfume, Itano Tomomi, WEAVER, Kana Nishino (she's on thin ice), Flower, NANAKA

Tbh, they've all either just released something or have announced an upcoming release. I think reading all the news in the thread just leaves me wanting something new asap.

But campanella just released a new track yesterday!!

No, but seriously, this song is so damn good, one of their best.

See, I'm liking the instrumental but the off beat(?) singing puts me off a bit.

vanty

Yoshiki is doing a reddit AMA at 19:40 UTC Sunday. Hopefully he doesn't just use it to promote the X Japan movie and we get some interesting stuff.

Top favourites would be; Namie, Perfume, Itano Tomomi, WEAVER, Kana Nishino (she's on thin ice), Flower, NANAKA

Tbh, they've all either just released something or have announced an upcoming release. I think reading all the news in the thread just leaves me wanting something new asap.

See, I'm liking the instrumental but the off beat(?) singing puts me off a bit.

kayyyyy

Blablurn

Who?

----

This Flower x JuJu performance is beautiful - 「やさしさで溢れるように」. I know it was reported months ago that Flower were covering the song so it's good to finally see something come of it.

----

Was watching Namie Amuro's latest tour 'LIVEGENIC' earlier and it feels a step up from her previous 2, which is weird; 24 years in the industry and still managing to put on spectacular shows is quite the feat.

Some highlight performances:

Time Has Come
Close Your Eyes Close To You
NAKED
B Who I Want 2 B (no Hatsune Miku)

i remember a time when amuro was just a girl with some potential

Blablurn

OP is back!

haha, i think i hear that every time i come here :D

it makes me sad that ayu has become so irrelevant

finding her in 2003 was a game changer for me

but i guess her strange lifestyle didnt help either

all these random marriages with random foreigners haha

daydream

Banned
the four new tracks on that koto mini-album are good stuff if not mindblowing, ゆかいなぼくら being my favourite

My favorite new discovery recently has been Hana Tsuruuchi, who released the single I You Any this week. The obvious comparison I think most people would make would be Seiko Oomori, almost to the point that some might accuse her of being a rip-off, except it turns out that Hana has been doing this sort of thing years longer than Seiko has, plus after looking at a live performance I think a closer comparison would be Akiko Yano. The three songs on her new single are actually a few years old, but they've been given new and improved arrangements by Jiro Sasaki aka teoremaa, best known as Avandoned's music producer. It also turns out that she's written at least one yet-to-be-released song for them too. Other acts she's composed for include Hauptharmonie, ex-SDN48 member Chaki, and JAV idol group Marshmallow 3D. I need to track down her old albums now.

Also, people should check out Utae's debut mini album. It is very good.

I have a lot of respect for acts like Kuroneko no Yuutsu who produce all their own music but decide to forego the higher respectability of being a band and just be idols instead. But I guess that way they don't have to lug amps around either.

the kind of weird indictment about the scene there is that they'll actually get more exposure doing it as idols than performing live music. plus it's just Kuriko who does the music so it'd be pretty funny if she was behind a desk or holding a guitar while Sayunashi flailed around onstage. but this way they get to komanechi their way through the songs, which is great in it's own right

but yeah mad respect to the DYI goofballs out there

and I like the trend of producers like Ogawa and Sasaki Kissa being onstage with their acts, makes it seem a little more lively

Larsa

My favorite new discovery recently has been Hana Tsuruuchi, who released the single I You Any this week. The obvious comparison I think most people would make would be Seiko Oomori, almost to the point that some might accuse her of being a rip-off, except it turns out that Hana has been doing this sort of thing years longer than Seiko has, plus after looking at a live performance I think a closer comparison would be Akiko Yano. The three songs on her new single are actually a few years old, but they've been given new and improved arrangements by Jiro Sasaki aka teoremaa, best known as Avandoned's music producer. It also turns out that she's written at least one yet-to-be-released song for them too. Other acts she's composed for include Hauptharmonie, ex-SDN48 member Chaki, and JAV idol group Marshmallow 3D. I need to track down her old albums now.

Wow, I like this a lot, thanks!

Kurita

What a great day for fans of the telephones.

We finally got details about Nobu and Akira's new band. The name is lovefilm. No album or single announced yet but they'll perform at this year's Metrock and unveiled their artist picture.
Their first show was today and according to live reports their sound ranges from rock'n'roll to guitar pop, melocore-ish and shoegaze. Looking forward to a release.

Meanwhile, the bassist Ryouhei announced the creation of the band フレンズ (Friends).
Pretty exciting line-up :
Okamoto Emi(Vocals from 科楽特奏隊、ex.THEラブ人間)
Hirose Hirose(Vocals and Keyboard from nicoten)
Miura Tarou(Guitar and Chorus, ex.HOLIDAYS OF SEVENTEEN)
Nagashima Ryouhei(Bass from the telephones)
Sekiguchi Louie(Drums, ex.The Mirraz)

Some songs are already on Soundcloud. Poppy/funky music lovers will dig it.
https://soundcloud.com/friends2015

Aizo

Banned
Oh, shit. Did stump sock get perma-banned? I've never seen him banned before, so that's surprising. What did he do? :((

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Oh, shit. Did stump sock get perma-banned? I've never seen him banned before, so that's surprising. What did he do? :((

The 'disappearing avatar' permaban thing is just a myth, thankfully. I doubt Stump's gonna be out of the game for too long. If I were to take a guess, it'd be for this post, which would classify under 'thread whining'.

What a great day for fans of the telephones.

We finally got details about Nobu and Akira's new band. The name is lovefilm. No album or single announced yet but they'll perform at this year's Metrock and unveiled their artist picture.

Their first show was today and according to live reports their sound ranges from rock'n'roll to guitar pop, melocore-ish and shoegaze. Looking forward to a release.

Meanwhile, the bassist Ryouhei announced the creation of the band フレンズ (Friends).

Pretty exciting line-up :
Okamoto Emi(Vocals from 科楽特奏隊、ex.THEラブ人間)
Hirose Hirose(Vocals and Keyboard from nicoten)
Miura Tarou(Guitar and Chorus, ex.HOLIDAYS OF SEVENTEEN)
Nagashima Ryouhei(Bass from the telephones)
Sekiguchi Louie(Drums, ex.The Mirraz)

Some songs are already on Soundcloud. Poppy/funky music lovers will dig it.
https://soundcloud.com/friends2015
i like 'em =)

He's been banned for only a week, thankfully.
i guess it functions more like temp mute/cool down button. it's strange... i see this happen for many various reasons. i'm wondering if it's just normal practice on here.

i just stay in retroGAF mostly and peek in here a bit.

Larsa

Nice! Really looking forward to it. All their live releases are fucking fantastic, especially their last few.

--

http://fogpak.bandcamp.com/

Everybody owes it to themselves to check out the FOGPAK compilations. They have been going for a few years now. They are collections of amazing electronic music from (mostly) japanese producers. The 15th one just released with the theme of "Games". They are also free!

Top Bottom