• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Slowdive

Banned
Jun Togawa and Susumu Hirasawa next to each other.

2N4Zd7h.jpg

Aizo

Banned
Jun Togawa and Susumu Hirasawa next to each other.
It's meant to be.
Nice, where abouts is it?
You ever come to Tokyo? It is in a mall at Nakano station—Nakano Broadway. There are a few really cool shops there with alt music related things. I also really love this one alt art shop with a bunch of things from Japanese painters and artists I like, like Kago Shintarou, Yamamoto Takato, and Suehiro Maruo.

I bought a used Mass of the Fermenting Dregs shirt, as well as another tricot one! Both for a total of ¥2700, which is an amazing deal in Japan.

Aizo

Banned
Shibuya
Shinjuku
Harajuku
Shimokitazawa
+Ikebukuro
Daikanyama

If I'm just going out with friends to have a good night, I typically like Shinjuku the most. It has a lot of fun stuff. If I'm going to have a peaceful day, I head to Daikanyama or Shimokita. Shimokita has some really rich music culture and cool bars.

Kurita

Viola is slowly becoming one of my favorite photographers, her concert pics are often pretty dope, and since she's buddy with the new generation of bands I love it's all good :)

A good concert pic like that has more impact and beauty than a thousand shitty quality videos taken with smartphones

Aizo

Banned
I liked his stuff with Ken the 390 and that group of guys. Saw his new album yesterday but didn't take a listen.

Slowdive

Banned
Ladybeard left Ladybaby and they're carrying on as a duo under the name The Idol Formally Known As Ladybaby. Wonder how long they'll last without their whole gimmick.

You ever come to Tokyo? It is in a mall at Nakano station—Nakano Broadway. There are a few really cool shops there with alt music related things. I also really love this one alt art shop with a bunch of things from Japanese painters and artists I like, like Kago Shintarou, Yamamoto Takato, and Suehiro Maruo.

I bought a used Mass of the Fermenting Dregs shirt, as well as another tricot one! Both for a total of ¥2700, which is an amazing deal in Japan.

Never been but I've heard good things about Nakano Broadway before, will definitely check it out once I go.

Love the new wave feel on the Tentenko clip. Exciting.

In kinda related news, Halmens is returning with their first brand new album in 35 years on Sept. 21, collaborating with people like Maki Nomiya and Nemu Yumemi.

The new Sumire Uesaka is my jam. Great video too.

Wasn't Ladybaby originally formed as a one-off to promote a costume company or something? It's unlikely they planned on having more than one single but then their video went viral and put them in a position where they kind of had to do more. Otherwise Ladybeard would have just gone back to wrestling as he's now doing, and Rie and Rei surely wouldn't have trouble finding work, being Miss iD winners and all. Ladybeard deserves credit for making their video go viral but aside from that I don't think he was exactly doing them any favors for growing a fanbase in Japan (you can infer from that statement what you will). In any case, I think they're probably better off without him. The fact that they're returning in a two-man show with Oyasumi Hologram at a ~1000 person venue is also probably a good sign.

10,000 followers and she'll show her face? I don't know if that level of escalation is viable. Lingling only has 12k (a travesty, imo), Atsuko with 14k, etc.

also I think MomoLing is my current favorite pairing

Well she's already over 6000. Lingling has 16k btw.

did she pick up a shitload today or something? I swear to god it was like 12.6k this morning

I'm pretty sure she's always had more followers than Atsuko, who even mentioned it in an interview once. "Why does she have more followers than me? We joined at the same time!"

I Like It / TEMPURA KIDZ

I'm well aware that this group is not for everyone in here, but damn, I love how all over the top it is, and I wasn't expecting how the instrumental turns it up a notch during the last minute.

Yeah that crazy bit near the end makes it. They've had some songs I really liked (especially the Charisma.com collab) and others I don't care for.

taopriest

Nice to see another MV from their latest album.

ACIDMAN will return for their 20th Anniversary with a new single " "最後の星(Saigo no Hoshi)" and best of album "ACIDMAN 20th Anniversary Fans’ Best Selection Album ”Your Song”" with a release on 26th October. It's their first single since two years.

BphNUin.png

http://acidman.jp/20thAnniversary/

LayLa

afraid not, but based on the live videos I've seen I'm honestly maybe slightly more interested in Gal's next (first) release than KCGZ's

Pataco <3

e: actually vincenzogrubb is probably the one to ask, he tracks that stuff

I might be remembering wrong, but I think Tapestok records announced there would be another album out before the end of the year, but they didn't say whose. In addition to Zwei and Gal, they've also announced a new act, faela, a rap project for actress Kazuha Komiya. She was a Miss iD candidate (of course) and mainly acts in music videos and commercials, including one she starred in with KOM_I.

Kurita

And here I was just wondering when a new Radwimps album would come out. Awesome! I can't wait to buy it on release day :)

Weeeeell, it's not really an album per se. They say it's an album but there'll be only like 4 songs with vocals. The rest are going to be instrumentals cause it's the soundtrack of an animated movie.

Aizo

Banned
I love the newest Veltpunch album (it's super cheap if you buy digital through American Amazon! Ten bucks. C'mon). Doesn't seem like any of you listen to them? I think Kurita would at least like them.
Here are some tracks from their newest album:
Let it Die
Shandygaff in the cold glass
&#12464;&#12483;&#12496;&#12452;&#12450;&#12531;&#12469;&#12540;
What I think I like about them so much is that each member has so much personality and they're all very accomplished musicians. You can distinctly hear every instrument, and they all have moments to shine. I don't think there is any weak piece in the band. I don't know enough about drums to explain, but their rhythms seem very different from a lot of other bands—maybe it's the use of the rim and the common syncopated rhythms? Another interesting thing about them is that both the female bassist and male guitarist are lead singers. I saw them live in Osaka last year, and they were awesome.

I think I'll try to see them again in September... I hope some of you find out from this post that you like Veltpunch. They're one of my favorite Japanese rock bands for sure, along with Winnie. <3

APA: Wednesday Campanella is known to be a trio, but we never see the two other members Kenmochi and Director F. Can you tell us a little bit more about them?

K: Well, Director F is the manager. Hmm… and Kenmochi is… a cutie guy. A cute guy. And a little bit small. American people think he looks like little kid. He produces the tracks for the group. He’s a little bit strange. Normally, he’s very cute and kind. He also usually calm us. But sometimes he does strange things.

At SXSW, he was there with us. In his hotel room, he opened the door to the balcony. The door closed behind him and got locked out. He was so upset and he actually jumped off the balcony.

APA: How high was his room?

K: Oh, just the second floor. I don’t know why he did it! He actually broke two bones, one in his hand and the other in his leg. He ended up not seeing my show at SXSW. [laughs] Now he’s in rehabilitation… and he’s still doing that. I don’t think I’ll bring him anywhere again. [laughs]

From this interview.

More reading material: a bilingual site called Us Blah + Me Blah has posted interviews with Sarah Bonito, bo en, and Kazami Suzuki (Tomggg's album illustrator, who reveals some surprising things). The interview with bo en is especially great. A lot of his thoughts on music are eerily close to my own in many ways.

broz0rs

question for anybody here (looking at Kurita tho)

who's the artist that popularized the term "singer-songwriter" in the Japanese vernacular?

Top Bottom