• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

question for anybody here (looking at Kurita tho)

who's the artist that popularized the term "singer-songwriter" in the Japanese vernacular?
I actually have no idea so I looked it up on Wikipedia and the article seems to be quite good.
Apparently it was first used in 1972 when Yoshida Takurou got popular, and he happened to be writing his own songs. A few artists sharing this trait also became popular around the same time so that's when it blew up.

---
New plenty album on September 21, called life
201608052058_21034.jpg
201608052109_21236.jpg

Aizo

Banned
We always talk about what's new and all, but what kind of things are you lot always going back to? It doesn't haven't to be consistent and it doesn't have to be for years, but what artists or songs do you find yourself drawn to over and over?

I still love listening to world's end girlfriend, Vampillia, Kashiwa Daisuke, Sakamoto Ryuuichi, tricot, Oomori Seiko, Spitz, Hamada Maron, 80kidz, Galneryus, indigo la end, Shinsei Kamattechan, old Kinoko Teikoku albums, Winnie, Veltpunch, Lillies and Remains, Sakanaction. There are more, but these are some artists that I have been listening to for a whilw that I can't stop listening to.

Maybe I should edit this post to organize it better some time.

Kurita

We always talk about what's new and all, but what kind of things are you lot always going back to? It doesn't haven't to be consistent and it doesn't have to be for years, but what artists or songs do you find yourself drawn to over and over?

I still love listening to world's end girlfriend, Vampillia, Kashiwa Daisuke, Sakamoto Ryuuichi, tricot, Oomori Seiko, Spitz, Hamada Maron, 80kidz, Galneryus, indigo la end, Shinsei Kamattechan, old Kinoko Teikoku albums, Winnie, Veltpunch, Lillies and Remains, Sakanaction. There are more, but these are some artists that I have been listening to for a whilw that I can't stop listening to.

Well let's see...
I've been listening to Ellegarden, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, One Ok Rock since 2006-2007

9mm Parabellum Bullet, Acidman, The Back Horn, Art-School, Straightener, Nothing's Carved In Stone and the Hiatus since 2009

Sekai No Owari, the telephones, Keytalk and cinema staff since 2010

andymori, The Bawdies, Brahman, Nico Touches The Walls, Fujifabric, Unison Square Garden, Sakanaction, Perfume and Czecho No Republic since 2011

androp, Good On The Reel, My First Story, Arukara, Kinoko Teikoku, Galileo Galilei, BIGMAMA, CreepHyp, Radwimps, Bump of Chicken, The Mirraz, indigo la End, [Alexandros] and Okamoto's since 2012

I guess after that it's too recent, but the past 3 years have been just incredible thanks to newcomers such as Kana-Boon (which was my gateway to a lot of the following artists), Gesu no Kiwami Otome, Dramatic Alaska, Kyuso Nekokami, Wanima, Yonezu Kenshi, go!go!vanillas, 04 Limited Sazabys, Hitorie, Mrs. GREEN APPLE, Blue Encount, The Oral Cigarettes, Frederic, Bentham, Brian the Sun, My Hair is Bad, Yoru no Honki Dance, Kuusou Iinkai, Kankaku Piero, Awesome City Club, sumika and so on lol. They're basically the artists I listen to the most nowadays
2013 is also the year where I discovered already established artists like Takahashi Yu, Hoshino Gen, back number...

I can never make that call for stuff that's come out in the last few years (on a rolling basis) because I tend to go back to that stuff all the time. But for things that stick around for longer than that,

Supercar, old Capsule, Boredoms, Boris, Number Girl, Melt Banana (only post 2000 stuff though), Flower Travelin Band, Jun Togawa, YMO, Guitar Wolf, Coaltar of the Deepers, Midori, early Ringo/Tokyo Jihen, Sigh (Gallows Gallery and earlier)

probably lots of others, but the first that come to mind that I've listened to for over 5 years

Cowpers, Bluebeard, Number Girl, Envy, PLAY DEAD SEASON, PENs+, the cabs, 宇宙コンビニ, tricot

Genocide, Sabbat, Abigail, Church of Misery, Sigh (until Imaginary Sonicscape), Intestine Baalism

NECRO EDIT:

Catasexual Urge Motivation

^I've put more money towards my collection for these crazy motherfuckers than any other Japanese band.

Slowdive

Banned
Just some: Jun Togawa, Yapoos, Seiko Oomori, Shiina Ringo, Tokyo Jihen, Susumu Hirasawa, P-Model, YMO (and their solo stuff) Boris, Capsule, MEG, Spangle call Lilli line, Mutyumu, Sakanaction, Melt Banana, Suiyoubi no Campanella.

aww I love IS :)

Intestine Baalism is a good call

yeah haha, I meant to include IS if there was any confusion there. Didn't hear it actually until a few years ago but it stuck immediately.

Intestine Baalism were incredible. I was hoping they would start a trend of mindblowing, Castlevania-inspired Japanese melodic death metal eventually.

Aizo

Banned

Dir en grey never get old for me. Ever since they first came to Europe back in 2005 I've made a point of going to see them whenever they're here. First Japanese band I ever listened to when I was 17 and heard Jessica. They've remained consistently great.

Peru

NMB48's Riripon continues to take us through the world of philosophy

Riripon - In the history of philosophy, there is a major view that human beings are pursuing the fulfillment of their desires, or pursuing happiness and avoiding pain. So a good society is a society that can provide the majority of people with most happiness. “Happiness of the majority”!

But, if we replace “happiness” with “joy”, it feels like we are “animals”, doesn’t it sound vulgar? I think “happiness” is more than that.

Horiuchi- - Heh Heh, by the way, we’ve talked about Mill, he has a famous statement on this topic, “It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.”

Riripon - I feel sorry for the piggy, but when the basic needs are ensured, piggy might feel satisfied, but human beings might not. The so-called intellectual pleasures are rare and hard to obtain, which leaves people unsatisfied. I bet even Socrates himself might be dissatisfied with a lot of things (laugh).

No No Eul

I knew the Perfume exhibition in London this past weekend was going to be small but I didn't think it would be quite that small. The bulk of the gallery consisted of a single room (about 5m x 10m?) featuring half a dozen sets of outfits from 1mm, Magic of Love, Flash and the like, all mounted on mannequins. The centrepiece, and the definite highlight of the exhibit, were the LED dresses from the Spring of Life PV, plugged into cables hanging from the ceiling and pulsing away in time to the music, as per the video.

There weren't any barriers or glass cabinets so you could get right up close and take a really good look at all the detail and the materials that go into the clothing. One thing I didn't really take in until my friend pointed it out to me was just how petite A-chan et al. must be because their outfits are tiny.

Out in the lobby area, there were a few other items to peruse. Books and magazines (one featuring Kashiyuka and her cat for example), a selection of the members' custom-made high heels, framed posters from some of their singles, that sort of thing. Finally, there was a good chunk of merchandise on sale, mostly from the current Cosmic Explorer tour so I ended up spending a small fortune.

tl;dr The exhibition was super small but pretty neat and I'm really glad I decided to go.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
NMB48's Riripon continues to take us through the world of philosophy
It's a fair point, and I have been thinking about how it relates to different concepts with idol music and different perceptions, namely those correlating with perceptions of belonging to different ages.

It seems that "cute" and "happy" are commonly perceived as correlating with children. It can be easy to see why, since children don't have all the burdens and complexities that adults have on their minds and in trust of their responsibilities, they also have less expectations since things are new to them, compare new experiences to a smaller variety of things that are usually more mundane, and have less memories of betrayal. All of this makes it so that children generally have a brighter attitude and more freely express happiness and delight, which is cute. However, I don't think that means cuteness and cheerfulness belong to children, it is just easier for them.

Along with this, we often think of sexual or confrontational concepts as natural to adults. It is obvious why, since sexuality comes with adulthood and we usually have the competence and urge for confrontation (or merely aggressive self-assertion) when we are adults, but I don't think that because these things happen in adulthood means that it is somehow more age-appropriate to go with those concepts. These are aspects of adulthood that one has to intentionally identify in themselves and channel into social expression. It takes effort, and some people are bad at different sorts of expression. Recognizing this, I don't think sexuality or boldness are much less contrived than cuteness and cheerfulness for an adult.

So why is it then that we often see cute and cheerful concepts being paired with objectively youthful themes, like high school? I think is is a mix of things. Since youth are more psychologically free to those things, yet character develops in complexity and intentionality with a developed mind, it will be among older youths who have taken some agency in how they present themselves that cultural innovation and development of presenting oneself in an appealing manner by those characteristics will be most present. This is all the more the case as youth are discouraged from being sexual for both social and legal reasons, leading them to personally focus on being in touch with and expressing their other aspects of appeal to efficacious reception from others.

This developed personal resonance with expressing those aspects of our complex human nature is probably recognized by creative directors and respected as a strength of that demographic, then that mixes with a bit of laziness in regard to coming up with new ways of expressing cute and cheerful sides of personality, and then purposely grabbing a context that will stir sentimental memories of what it was like to live life within that sort of attitude. Since the social correlations of these aspects to youth are not held in mind for other types of concepts, those concepts find the majority of their development and innovation in the adult world, but they are just as much an expressive enhancement and effort that is "put on" over our truly natural state, which is most often far more mundane than any entertainment performance.

Is there also some pervy element to this correlation with youth? There is undoubtedly at least some demographic that does hold it in such a mind. However, after years of becoming more familiar with idol music in Japan and Korea, I think it is most often not what is in mind. People just have an appreciation for all aspects of humanity, and sometimes they need something that speaks to our serious side, something to our angry side, something to our sexual side, something to our defiantly independent side, or something to our cute side. We appreciate all these things, and they reflect different intentional psychological pursuits to grab at the essence of something and celebrate it through artistic expression, and having the media in our lives serves different roles of keeping us in touch with the whole of our humanity as we for the most part moderate ourselves for civil coherence and peace.

So to reiterate for clarity, as an example, sexuality is inherently adult, but presence of adult does not mean presence of sexuality. We have to intentionally identify, generate, express and enhance that aspect of ourselves beyond our other aspects to perform that kind of concept. Cheerfulness and cuteness is a more commonly natural expression of children than it is of adults, but that does not mean when an adult expresses these aspects that they are being childish. It is simply that adulthood leads us to a complexity and burden of mind that makes them less often our natural expression, so we have to intentionally identify, generate, express and enhance it to make a performance around it. When one sets themselves out to do it, and especially with the aim to make others happy, it is recognized that all efforts are inherently contrived and can be challenging to obtain for the developed adult mind. This can even be seen in older rappers who get worn out in the game of channeling aggression.

It's no surprise to me, then, that a Jpop idol who has made a career out of being the lens through which these things (particularly happiness) are projected would spend their time meditating on their essence and purpose in human psychology and the service it is actually doing for society.

Slowdive

Banned
New Utada album cover and tracklist:

3e6ZKQL.jpg

1.Michi
2.Ore no Kanojo
3.Hanataba wo Kimi ni
4.Ni-jikan dake no Vacation
5.Ningyo
6.Tomodachi
7.Manatsu no Tooriame
8.Kouya no Ookami
9.Boukyaku
10.Jinsei Saikou no Hi
11.Sakura Nagashi

New promo pics:

Ratrat

New Utada album cover and tracklist:

3e6ZKQL.jpg

1.Michi
2.Ore no Kanojo
3.Hanataba wo Kimi ni
4.Ni-jikan dake no Vacation
5.Ningyo
6.Tomodachi
7.Manatsu no Tooriame
8.Kouya no Ookami
9.Boukyaku
10.Jinsei Saikou no Hi
11.Sakura Nagashi

New promo pics:

AAAAAAAAAaaaaa!!!

I fully expect a depressing album but I'm so excited anyway.

Jintor

went into umeda tower records. was intimidated by prices. found a single luminous orange album. 3000 yen. left because my feet were hurting.

Aizo

Banned
I don't mean to be rude, as I surely like music that none of you like, but what do you like about You'll Melt More's music? I personally can't listen to any of the songs I've heard so far. Is it mostly that you like their personalities, or does something set their music apart from others that I haven't heard?

I don't mean to be rude, as I surely like music that none of you like, but what do you like about You'll Melt More's music? I personally can't listen to any of the songs I've heard so far. Is it mostly that you like their personalities, or does something set their music apart from others that I haven't heard?

I thought image/personalities/dancing girls was the appeal of idol music generally speaking, but I'm ignorant.

the songs they usually play at idol festivals are their most idol-y songs, not my favorite.

but on the other hand they've had

NEU! tributes
shoegaze-inspired stuff
songs inspired by Belle & Sebastian
songs written by Mariko Goto
8 minute long spacerock songs
songs written by Koji Nakamura of Supercar
songs written by members of Polysics

I think there's enough variety in there to understand why at least some of it is appealing, assuming you can get past idol vocals. + the following them for the "characters" like you mentioned. and then there's stuff like the Hijokaidan collaborations and stuff. they've been interesting to follow with more good music than bad.

Slowdive

Banned

For the most part their music is actually good and different compared to most idol groups. I mean pretty much anyone who's collaborated with Hijokaidan is okay in my books.

the songs they usually play at idol festivals are their most idol-y songs, not my favorite.

but on the other hand they've had

NEU! tributes
shoegaze-inspired stuff
songs inspired by Belle & Sebastian
songs written by Mariko Goto
8 minute long spacerock songs
songs written by Koji Nakamura of Supercar
songs written by members of Polysics

I think there's enough variety in there to understand why at least some of it is appealing, assuming you can get past idol vocals. + the following them for the "characters" like you mentioned. and then there's stuff like the Hijokaidan collaborations and stuff. they've been interesting to follow with more good music than bad.

all of those are cool.

Jintor

what do you guys do for buy music? import cds? digital downloads? If so, what services - individual sites, or per site?

moving soon so i forgot what buying internationally is like.

Kurita

what do you guys do for buy music? import cds? digital downloads? If so, what services - individual sites, or per site?

moving soon so i forgot what buying internationally is like.

Amazon for physical
Itunes/Amazon MP3/HMV Digital/Ototoy for digital music

New KANA-BOON single on October 5, Wake Up
news_header_kanaboon_art201608.jpg

news_xlarge_kanaboon_jkt201610_limited.jpg

01. Wake up
02. LOSER
03. Weekend
Oh yiiiiiiis

----
PELICAN FANCLUB - 説明
One of the best tracks from the latest album!

Peru

I like YMM and other groups that fuck with the idol sound and can easily be connected to [insert hip scene or sound] for instant cred. I grew up a taste hipster. But lots of 'traditional' idol pop is similarly great. I'll make a stand for traditionally "idol-y" music. Especially considering our western perspective. I like pop in general, and you won't really get that j-idol sound anywhere else. There are more chord changes and the melodies travel more in J-pop than modern western pop - it's a uniquely Japanese sound. With that foundation, when it hits emotionally I dig it, it's a valuable addition to my library inevitably dominated by western sounds. There are great AKB singles, even if they're a conservative group musically. There are great 70s and 80s j-pop singles. There are great singles by supremely anonymous no-name idol groups who will never amount to anything. There's also a lot of crap. That's life.

But lots of 'traditional' idol pop is similarly great. I'll make a stand for traditionally "idol-y" music.

I definitely don't have any kind of issue with it, especially due to its uniqueness on the world stage, like you said. unfortunately it just doesn't really do much for me personally. in fact it wasn't until groups like Momoclo and company started really fucking with the formula that it finally clicked with me.

E-flux

I was recently in Tokyo for a month, i heard this really good hip hop song that i wish i knew the name of, and i was hoping that some of you would know what i was talking about. The place was playing a lot of Ketsumeishi, and my japanese buddy was pretty sure that the song i'm talking about is from them but i haven't been able to find it yet. Can't remember the lyrics but the beat was made with ping pong balls and there was some chatter between the players, is that ringing any bells for anybody?

Best news of the day: Nayuta is back! She's even had a twitter account for over a month and nobody told me. Unfortunately the new CD-R mini album is only being sold at Nakano Ropeway at the moment.

A new group I've been keeping an eye on, Yanakoto Sotto Mute, has released their first EP for free on OTOTOY. They seem to have some emo and shoegaze influence. This is my favorite song of theirs and it sort of reminds me of the band Hum. I like that they don't do the typical thing of all singing the same melodic line at the same time and their choreography is interesting too.

I like YMM and other groups that fuck with the idol sound and can easily be connected to [insert hip scene or sound] for instant cred. I grew up a taste hipster. But lots of 'traditional' idol pop is similarly great. I'll make a stand for traditionally "idol-y" music. Especially considering our western perspective. I like pop in general, and you won't really get that j-idol sound anywhere else. There are more chord changes and the melodies travel more in J-pop than modern western pop - it's a uniquely Japanese sound. With that foundation, when it hits emotionally I dig it, it's a valuable addition to my library inevitably dominated by western sounds. There are great AKB singles, even if they're a conservative group musically. There are great 70s and 80s j-pop singles. There are great singles by supremely anonymous no-name idol groups who will never amount to anything. There's also a lot of crap. That's life.

When I think of the traditional idol song I think of one particular formula for composing songs that's definitely not limited to idol groups but is extremely common in Japanese music and pretty much nowhere else. We've all heard it: a verse with the Pachelbel's Canon chord progression or a close variation, then a pre-chorus with that specific "Be My Baby" rhythm (this is usually the part where your castanets come into play), then there's maybe a 50% chance of having a key change leading into the chorus which is likely also similar to the Pachelbel's Canon chord progression. This is the structure that the 48 groups and other traditional idols use very often. It's something that goes back decades and has barely changed so it obviously works for people, but I think once you start noticing it everywhere it loses a bit of its charm. The other type of song I think people are referring to when they talk about "idol-y" music is the less-rigidly-structured but often hyperactive music that groups like Dempagumi.inc do. I'm usually a bigger fan of the latter style of songs because they generally have more room for creativity, but they also contain no shortage of musical signifiers that make them uniquely J-pop (frequent key changes, lots of augmented 5ths and suspended 4ths, etc).

Peru

That about sums it up, yeah. It's easily noticeable but I don't think it really loses it's charm because of that. We've all seen those 'four chourds - every (western) pop song' videos and classic songs have been written with those chords every decade and continue to be made and surprise us in different ways.

jbug617

Banned
So Sekai no Owari are playing in LA and NYC

8/17- Los Angeles, CA - The Roxy Theatre
8/23 - New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom

If this is going to be based off what they did for the Korean festival, expect them to do all their songs in english. Also did not perform RPG.

They also announced they are releasing a new single called Hey Ho on Oct 5th.

Kurita

If this is going to be based off what they did for the Korean festival, expect them to do all their songs in english. Also did not perform RPG.

They also announced they are releasing a new single called Hey Ho on Oct 5th.

I'm excited for the new single cause it's gonna be the sequel to RPG. Can't wait

If I could buy one Purfume album and one only what should it be

oh boy you're opening a can of worms here

I'm going to say Level 3, the real answer is probably Game, and other people here are going to say JPN

e: and Peru will say Complete Best; don't listen to him

e2: Triangle probably has my favorite Perfume song on it but don't buy Triangle

faridmon

Fuck me, HaKU is dissbanding.

First The Flickers now HaKU.

All my these bands, disheartening one after the other just breaking my heart.

If I could buy one Purfume album and one only what should it be

+1 for Level3 but I'm one of those filthy philistines that liked the album mixes of the pre-album singles. Most of my favourite tracks of theirs are on Level3. JPN's more hit and miss but about half of it is really awesome. Don't know much about GAME, leans more poppy if that's your bag.

Top Bottom