• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kansoku

Well that puts to rest the idea that he hasn't had to face any consequences for his actions. Sucks for the other band members though. I'd like to see them continue without him honestly.

They (the three from Gesu and the three from indigo) could get together for the ultimate band. Hona Ikoka sings. 10/10, band of the forever.

Boy, me too. They deserve better.

It's weird to me how Japanese celebrity scandals always seem to be "oh my god an 18-year-old was caught DRINKING" or "holy shit that woman is HAVING AN AFFAIR WITH A MARRIED MAN" and meanwhile you have that bizarre end-of-BiS documentary people were talking about a few days ago where guys were trying to sleazeball the idols for literal points, and apparently that's cool.

the key statement being "celebrity," which BiS are/were not. the whole issue with Becky is that she was known and liked by a broad audience (mostly old people if I'm being honest) and they were the ones who freaked out about it.

my laughing at this situation is more my love of schadenfreude, what with karma catching up with Enon for fucking up someone else's career while walking away unscathed. I have no stake in it, just pointing and laughing.

They (the three from Gesu and the three from indigo) could get together for the ultimate band. Hona Ikoka sings. 10/10, band of the forever.

I'd be so down for this. Even before all of this, Enon was the part of those bands that turned me off.

jbug617

Banned
Well, looks like we'll have to wait for a while for new stuff indigo la End/Gesu no Kiwami Otome lol
http://natalie.mu/music/news/204120
Enon had some drinks with a minor so... Didn't sleep with her though. Hopefully Gesu's album will still come out. Both bands will go on hiatus starting December 3rd.

He got away with it during the Becky scandal but not this time. He really put his band mates in awkward position.

the key statement being "celebrity," which BiS are/were not. the whole issue with Becky is that she was known and liked by a broad audience (mostly old people if I'm being honest) and they were the ones who freaked out about it.

my laughing at this situation is more my love of schadenfreude, what with karma catching up with Enon for fucking up someone else's career while walking away unscathed. I have no stake in it, just pointing and laughing.

I'd be so down for this. Even before all of this, Enon was the part of those bands that turned me off.

What, are you telling me Japan is all old peo--oh right.

Totally agree re: schadenfreude.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I don't know if anyone mentioned it earlier, but I was browsing through recently added music on Amazon Prime Music Japan and noticed some AKB48 singles. Upon inspecting the artist profile it turned out that over 80 AKB48 albums/singles have been added to the service. Obviously each single has a few (A/K/whatever) versions, but I think it's most of their discography.

Fou-Lu

Anyone have some recommendations for someone who has never really gone out of the way to find Japanese music but somehow enjoys quite a few JRock/JMetal bands? Bands I listen to:

One OK Rock
Ellegarden
Maximum the Hormone
Bump of Chicken
Asian Kung Fu Generation
Scandal
SIM
Pay Money to My Pain
Crossfaith
The Gazette

That list ended up longer than I expected to be honest...

Kurita

HI-STANDARD got Japan legit shook yersterday by releasing their first CD in 16 years, without announcing it beforehand. That's one way to make a come back lol. In this era of social media I'm really surprised it didn't leak.
It topped the Tower Records charts yesterday so the thirst was real.

--
androp「Sunny day」official music video
That acoustic guitar lost in the noise of the other instruments is so good. Dope song. (it really starts at 1:45/46, they're just jamming before)

[Alexandros] - Feel like (MV)
Their most "colorful pop" song to date, I absolutely love it. Short, fast-paced (can you say that about a song huh), great stuff.

---
Anyone have some recommendations for someone who has never really gone out of the way to find Japanese music but somehow enjoys quite a few JRock/JMetal bands? Bands I listen to:

One OK Rock
Ellegarden
Maximum the Hormone
Bump of Chicken
Asian Kung Fu Generation
Scandal
SIM
Pay Money to My Pain
Crossfaith
The Gazette

That list ended up longer than I expected to be honest...
04 Limited Sazabys
Kankaku Piero
THE ORAL CIGARETTES
WANIMA
My Hair is Bad
MONOEYES (same vocalist as Ellegarden)
the HIATUS (same as above)
Nothing's Carved In Stone (same guitarist as Ellegarden!)
MY FIRST STORY (fronted by the brother of ONE OK ROCK's vocalist)
Straightener

Kurita

Gonna see SHISHAMO on December 11th with the gf! Haven't listened to their albums in a minute so I need to put them again in my heavy rotation.
I think I'm done with lives for the year, already got 7 concerts planned lol (and 4 of them are at Zepp Tokyo haha)

Piichan

Banned
This is just a brag post, so feel free to ignore, but Tricot is releasing a DVD from their concert in June which I attended. Gotta have it, totally jazzed.

https://youtu.be/K_Xo8rj7Yjg

Edit: Oh shit, I'm the guy in the green shirt on the left at the beginning, lol!

Peru

They're such a live presence I've been waiting for them to put a dvd out.

My ultimate wish in this world is for artists to start releasing their concert productions digitally too, though.

Kurita

They're such a live presence I've been waiting for them to put a dvd out.

My ultimate wish in this world is for artists to start releasing their concert productions digitally too, though.

You can find concerts on iTunes though the selection is quite limited

---
THE ORAL CIGARETTES 「5150」
29RcJT1.gif

Aizo

Banned
Gonna see SHISHAMO on December 11th with the gf! Haven't listened to their albums in a minute so I need to put them again in my heavy rotation.
I think I'm done with lives for the year, already got 7 concerts planned lol (and 4 of them are at Zepp Tokyo haha)
Is this the same gf from a couple years back? She is in Japan, too?

春ねむり - 東京
Really excited for her mini album releasing in a couple of days.

oh man I really like this, especially how it escalates.

that SiS thing is hilarious. is it just becoming more clear that Shimizu can't manage his way out of a wet paper bag? is this just Watanabe using these girls for all the stunts he loves? is the other girl gone or just missing because she's a minor? so many questions

e: oh, Watanabe says "these three"
e2: ah, they're just members of GP now. up to seven, lol. is GP maybe finally worth following again?

hello thread. Haven't really been listening to much non-metal Japanese music lately. But, I really like Suiyoubi. I could use some recs in that vein.

Kurita

My Hair is Bad – 恋人ができたんだ
Very very sweet song. Can't wait for the album ugh

----
Details of [Alexandros]'s upcoming album
news_xlarge_alexandros_jkt201611_lim.jpg
news_xlarge_alexandros_jkt201611_nor.jpg

01. ムーンソング
02. Kaiju
03. Girl A
04. Claw
05. O2
06. Feel like
07. Aoyama
08. Nawe, Nawe
09. Buzz Off!
10. クソッタレな貴様らへ
11. Swan
12. I want u to love me
13. 今まで君が泣いた分取り戻そう
14. NEW WALL

Larsa

Seeing Noko playing with Seiko's baby is the cutest thing I've seen all year. I love this sooo much. The reference to Shinsei Kamattechan's ロックンロールは鳴り止まないっ music video makes me tear up ;_;

--

https://soundcloud.com/brandnewidolsociety
New recordings of old BiS songs with the new members were posted on Soundcloud. They will appear on the album releasing next month.
Kind of a bummer. I was hoping for only new songs :/

e: this billionth version of nerve is pretty good.
e2: all of them sound pretty all right actually.

--

ENJOY MUSIC CLUB「夏の魔法」
cute.

It's really unfortunate to me how Nakata's turned into this really boring arena-EDM producer who sounds kind of like any other EDM producer. He still does fun-sounding stuff with Perfume, I guess, but I feel like the last time he was actually interesting at all was Caps Lock, and I don't see anything like that ever happening again.

AdamT

Picked up the vinyl of Necronomidol's Nemesis that Specific Recordings released not too long ago. I've only listened to the first side so far, but I'm liking it. Nothing that stands out, but some of the beats are nice. I got it mostly for the Seuhiro Maruo cover.

Kurita

2 more days...

Kurita, you ready?
Well I'll just be watching the livestream lol
Wish I had a ticket ugh. I hope it's gonna be a long show. Andymori played like 40 songs for their last show at Budokan.

----
BLUE ENCOUNT just finished their Budokan show. Looks like it was a pretty amazing concert.
They also announced the release of their second album, THE END, for next Spring, and their release tour will have a massive show at Makuhari Messe!

Kurita

Okay...? That's what people want from a show at a big venue, it'd be boring if it was just a regular concert on a wide stage

--
Gonna see Hitorie and Boku no Lyric no Boyoumi on thursday, can't wait! I'm really curious to see what the latter's live performances look like, he's a super promising fellow. A collab between the two acts would be pretty dope but I don't think it'll happen.

nah, I'm with him. if you go to an arena show, seeing people perform music is pretty far down the list of things that you're getting out of the deal. not a fan.

Kurita

I know it sucks if what you want is a regular concert you could get in a small venue! My point is that if people are looking for a fun show with a lot going on/impressive effects (like Perfume or MomoClo or whatever) then it's great cause you can't really have that in a random livehouse! I'm not trying to make you like them :lol

Kurita

Well that's exactly what I just said! lol You don't go to an arena show just for the music, cause that's not what they're for, you go for the ambiance and the fun.

Top Bottom