• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Peru

I'm very happy I've seen Perfume in different settings. Intimate venue: Actually able to appreciate their dancing, choreography, performance. Dome: Very different thing but still chills.

there's video out there of Passcode's set at Aomori and security were absolutely bodying the people who were trying to get on the wrestling ring stage. good shit.

we had next music from tokyo here in toronto, it was fucking incredible.

i'll post my thoughts w/pics later, but every year / 6 months now atm, these bands give me a change of perspective to work even harder on my craft.

thank you maison book girl, hitsuji bungaku, jizue, this is japan, toranoko rammy !

Shun

Well I mean this is my first really huge live at that scale and I am go because Galileo Galilei holds a very special place in my heart, being with me for throughout my teenage years listening to them and seeing them grow as a band.

26065284000_04b946d229_h.jpg

I went to what was supposed to be their final breakup live in April, but then they announced their dome live and I had to go to that.

Tomorrow will be a special day for me so I think I will enjoy it regardless of how bad large spectacle events like this is.

Aizo

Banned
Curse me for not buying the downy tickets earlier! I didn't know they were popular enough to sell out D:

I'm sure it'll still be a great time! I didn't mean to sound so negative. I just personally don't get much out of seeing dome shows, because the acoustics are typically horrible and you look at a screen to see the band unless you bought crazy priced tickets. May as well just watch the DVD for better audio quality and a closer view of the group (in my case). I can definitely understand why you're excited for the show, and a final farewell is something special!

Edit: This is random. Showed up on my subscriptions, but I met these two when they were in Japan. I had never heard of this group, but I saw them on a train and liked the guy's earring, so I asked where he bought it. They revealed that they were on tour in Tokyo from Paris and that the singer is half Japanese. They were pretty nice. Not really my kind of music, which I had guessed when they told me the venues they were playing at.

Kodäma : MUSIC SHARE【OUT OF STUDIOS】@THE ROOM

Kurita

androp's new mini-album, blue, is f'n incredible. After the solid but kinda forgettable self-titled album from last year this is such a good surprise. I thought they were getting stale but damn, so many new things on this release. I didn't expect that at all.
It's the birth of a new androp and I can't wait to see what they'll do next.
androp「Sunny day」

Kurita

Cover Hoshino Gen's newest hit song Koi, by Kobasolo and Asako
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoYU3HKbR84

It's just been out for one week and yet it's already his highest selling single to date. Really impressed by his career : from a small instrumental band (SAKEROCK) in 2000 to one of the most popular artists right now. Guess you just have to be patient.

I will definitely watch this later.

I'm kind of excited by the potential of this new and completely ungoogleable idol group called ・・・・・・・・・ (pronounced dots Tokyo). Their gimmicks include shoegaze and anonymity. They wear cute strips of lace over glasses to hide their eyes when performing. The only footage I could find of them are a few short twitter videos. It looks like their shows can get pretty noisy. They had an interview on OTOTOY where it's impossible to tell who's saying what. There's also a free download of one of their songs with temp. vocaloid vocals.

Here's a great new song by COR!S, perhaps better known as a member of KiWi.

ノンエンジェル『I’m PREMIUM』
Commercial for Kirin, music by Sugar's Campaign.

broz0rs

I was listening to an mflo playlist just the other day and felt their old stuff sounded so fresh. I don't know why they drifted away from their electronic r&b sound.

Kurita

Just came back from Hitorie's live, nexUs, with Boku no Lyric no Bouyomi (BokuRiri) as a guest.

Woah. What an amazing show that was... Didn't know what to expect from BokuRiri. I mean, I love his music, but I just thought it was going to be him singing over a track played by the computer. He actually has a keyboardist and a DJ with him, so the live arrangements were mindblowing. This kid is just so good. He's cool, super talented, funny, cute. Love him even more.
He played a new song which was freaking amazing, and also did a cover of a Wowaka song, which was ridiculously great.

Then Hitorie came out, and damn. Their live performances are even better than what you hear on their CDs. The drums and the bass are quite loud, so their songs just give you an uppercut every time. The live version of フユノ is the most beautiful thing ever.
During the regular set they played a dope new song. And then... they f'n did it. BokuRiri came on stage and they did a collab.... Oh god. Sub/objective, played by Hitorie while BokuRiri was singing. Hitorie then announced the release of their 3rd full album for December 7 before playing yet another new song!

Ugh, what an amazing show.
But that's not all. Takemasa from KEYTALK and Akira from THE ORAL CIGARETTES were together in the crowd, I saw them when we got out. I politely nodded to Takemasa, he did the same. He must've wondered who the hell I was lol So happy...

One guy I know from JPS was there too, so ate ramen together while talking about music.
That was a good day.

Sent a tweet to BokuRiri : "Did you happen to see a tall foreign dude?" His reply is basically a big "Yuuuuuuuuup" lol

Slowdive

Banned
!!!!! 戸川純(JUN TOGAWA) 「赤い戦車」/ 歌手活動35周年記念作品『わたしが鳴こうホトトギス』with Vampillia

She's releasing an album with Vampillia out 14th December

Tracklist:

赤い戦車
蛹化の女
好き好き大好き
肉屋のように
Men's Junan
怒濤の恋愛
諦念プシガンガ
12階の一番奥
バーバラ・セクサロイド
わたしが鳴こうホトトギス

Aizo

Banned

Tracklist:

赤い戦車
蛹化の女
好き好き大好き
肉屋のように
Men's Junan
怒濤の恋愛
諦念プシガンガ
12階の一番奥
バーバラ・セクサロイド
わたしが鳴こうホトトギス
I figured someone would beat me to the punch. Very excited.

LayLa

Tracklist:

赤い戦車
蛹化の女
好き好き大好き
肉屋のように
Men's Junan
怒濤の恋愛
諦念プシガンガ
12階の一番奥
バーバラ・セクサロイド
わたしが鳴こうホトトギス

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Stream of the new Kero Kero Bonito album: http://hypem.com/premiere/kero+kero+bonito

First impression: slicker production but somehow retains pretty much everything I like about them. I just hope they'll put the album up for sale somewhere other than iTunes, which I despise with a burning passion.

(too bad Flamingo didn't make the cut, though their sound has shifted enough that I understand why it's not on the album)

Kurita

Listening to Hosomi Takeshi's radio show that aired on Tuesday.
It was basically a tribute to Kawashima from Boom Boom Satellites. Very very touching, Hosomi starts crying while reading a mail from a fan and stops talking for like 30 seconds. Damn... Must be horrible to lose one of your closest friends, especially when it's the musician you look up to the most.

Let's enjoy a kickass BBS live performance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw1V7av6VC4

---
On a lighter note, currently my favorite drawing on Twitter
Also in gif form lol
https://twitter.com/gonnakill_uta/status/786908967259680768

Is there a place I can stream J-rock/japanese music in general? My only exposure is through anime and video games but I really like how J-rock sounds, particularly, guitar, it's got that unique sound you don't get from western bands.

Kurita

Is there a place I can stream J-rock/japanese music in general? My only exposure is through anime and video games but I really like how J-rock sounds, particularly, guitar, it's got that unique sound you don't get from western bands.

There's some stuff on Spotify and Apple Music.
If you don't live in Japan though you won't have a lot of choice.

Aizo

Banned
Meeting a friend at Kitazawa Typhoon tomorrow. Any band/group/artist I should see on the schedule? Kurita probably knows some of these rock bands. A few of you may know some of the idol groups.
Alternatively, view the lineup here.

Kurita

I just know The Cheserasera, Fo'xTails, SpecialThanks and Mop Of Head. The Cheserasera and Mop of Head are great so go see them.

Meeting a friend at Kitazawa Typhoon tomorrow. Any band/group/artist I should see on the schedule? Kurita probably knows some of these rock bands. A few of you may know some of the idol groups.

Alternatively, view the lineup here.
exist trace where great when I saw them at Sakuracon

Top Bottom