• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Priz

The band existed before they joined Sony actually. They released their first CD in 2012 (if I'm not mistaken), and signed with Sony in 2014.
He did a song in LiSA's 2011 and 2012 albums... so I think it's the 2011 writing deal that got his band eventually onto Sony's label. That's what I meant.

I enjoyed Tomomi Itano's new album. I actually enjoyed her vocals in "I AM", I was surprised at first. I guess I'll need to go and check out her first album.

fonz

Neo Member
I nearly coughed soda up my nose when they started playing

reminded me of this classic

--

Haha, yes, they sound like a cover band of The Residents but not intentionally. I love the paper bags though. The interesting thing about these "idol-bands" (and bands that fringe with alt-idol, like Caramel) is if these experiments are a stunt, or a gimmick, or if the audiences are looking for a little bit of "authenticity" (sorry for using this word) in the alt-idol scene.

BTW, I have seen a lot of korean fans commenting on YMM! videos in youtube lately, really intrigues me why, of the all alt-idol bands, YMM! are getting so many fans in South Korea.

the jokes write themselves.
I think it's pretty good

--

CwP3fXvUEAAgfod.jpg:large

--

the new Have a Nice Day is available a week early on ototoy (but will probably be cheaper on bandcamp)

Kansoku

Oh sweet, androp released a PV for their song Kaonashi, and it's pretty sick. Definitely fits the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARq7omSu4Wo&feature=youtu.be
Friendly reminder that their mini-album released last month is amazing. New start for the band, absolutely love it.

Damn. I got quite bored of them tbh, but this and the last one you posted are pretty good. Will wait a bit to see if this wasn't a one off, but it's exciting to see them doing great stuff again.

Haha, yes, they sound like a cover band of The Residents but not intentionally. I love the paper bags though. The interesting thing about these "idol-bands" (and bands that fringe with alt-idol, like Caramel) is if these experiments are a stunt, or a gimmick, or if the audiences are looking for a little bit of "authenticity" (sorry for using this word) in the alt-idol scene.

BTW, I have seen a lot of korean fans commenting on YMM! videos in youtube lately, really intrigues me why, of the all alt-idol bands, YMM! are getting so many fans in South Korea.

I can't find it now but there was a Korean-subbed version of an Ano video that had like a million views. Apparently it went viral on the portal sites. I'm guessing they've developed a small but devoted fanbase there precisely because they're about as far as you can get from Korean idols.

It's a little disturbing they're frozen in ice cubes like that but whatever, new Perfume is A-OK with me.

[EDIT] Ok so I am on Kinoko's new album and it's more relaxed, less poppy/energetic than Neko.

Yeah. I prefer the previous one but this new release is also great.
Really digging LAST DANCE and 夏の影.

夏の影 I knew would be the best track off of there, hands down and yeah, I am probably one of the few heretics who thoroughly enjoyed Neko.

Shidare feat. ZenKimi too I guess.
I wish like at least a third of the upcoming album would be as good as this, but probably not.

Shidare takes command of everything she's on. but yeah Zenkimi's album will still probably be mostly more straighforward idol stuff.

I enjoyed Tomomi Itano's new album. I actually enjoyed her vocals in "I AM", I was surprised at first. I guess I'll need to go and check out her first album.

You will definitely like her first album if you enjoyed 'Get Ready'. I think this second album is a good effort from her, but I would like more new songs on the next one with a bit more polish. Still, I think she's the only ex-48 girl doing a proper solo career (without boring CM songs).

---
WEAVER 「S.O.S.」Music Video
WEAVER 「S.O.S. / Wake me up」初回限定盤DVD ティザー映像
---

AI is releasing yet another BEST album, this time full of collaborations.

AI – 2016年11月2日発売 大ヒットBESTシリーズ第二弾「THE FEAT.BEST」ダイジェスト映像!

Kurita

Suiyoubi no Campanella to perform at the Budokan on March 8th, I expect wackiness.

--
Final wave of artists for Countdown Japan has been announced, as well as the performing artists for each day.
http://countdownjapan.jp/1617/artist

Going on the 29th so... [Alexandros], Arukara, Kankaku Piero, Kyuso Nekokami, sumika, WANIMA, 04 LImited Sazabys, BLUE ENCOUNT... Yaaaaaassss

--
I don't know who that K-1 champion is but damn... he's friends with Takuya (UVERworld), Taka (ONE OK ROCK), Takeshi Hosomi and actor Go Ayano. Dayum. (dunno who the other two are)

You will definitely like her first album if you enjoyed 'Get Ready'. I think this second album is a good effort from her, but I would like more new songs on the next one with a bit more polish. Still, I think she's the only ex-48 girl doing a proper solo career (without boring CM songs).

That's awesome to hear! I'll definitely go check it out then :)

for fans of defunct alt idol groups, 黒猫の憂鬱's Sayunashi and 少女閣下のインターナショナル's Shirakawa Karin are now in a group called Kachiage Girls

Kurita

My discussion teacher (she's Japanese) :
"Alex are you going to Knotfest tomorrow?"
"No but I'm going to Countdown Japan!"
"Oooh, when?"
"29th"
"Who's playing?"
"WANIMA, [Alexandros]..."
"Oooh. I got WANIMA's setlist from Summer Sonic, I can give it to you next week if you want"

Nice lol I guess having my Tohoku Livehouse Daisakusen shirt was a dead giveaway.

--
“Miracle” illion

Pretty damn good animated music video.

Aizo

Banned
Still annoyed that Soil and Pimp bailed out of this show, but Cinema Art played well. The drummer is pretty damn good.

Kurita

Mrs. GREEN APPLE - In the Morning

高橋優 「Mr.Complex Man」
An instant classic Takahashi Yu song + a music video made by one of my fav illustrators? Yes please.
Damn... It's been a while since he's made a song like this (the singles from that album are all good tho)

9mm Parabellum Bullet to release their 7th album next spring. All songs will be written by the vocalist and the guitarist, as opposed to the album they released this year where every member was part of the writing process. It was pretty close to their old stuff, so I wonder if they'll follow the same direction.
Can't wait either way!

Trying to learn the dance for Hoshino Gen's Koi (from the drama Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu) with friends for shits and giggles, it's hard! lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmixNXvkorw

Aizo

Banned
Whoever was balancing was fucking up for the first two sets. Polysics sounded awful and way too loud.

Luckily, tricot was fantastic. Their gags were funny, and they played two encores. Really intense show.

Kansoku

After seeing 3 different people saying the new きのこ帝国 was good I gave it a chance and listened to it.

IMO, it's worse than Neko. Like Neko, I like a couple of songs (愛にゆくえ, MOON WALK and 畦道で, which is an old song), but really dislike the rest. It is more mellow than Neko, and as such, most songs feel kinda boring. LAST DANCE is a calmer クロノスタシス, which I don't like, 夏の影 and 雨上がり are just awful (especially 雨上がり) to me, although I find it kinda hard to describe what I don't like about them. I can say though they give me flashbacks to Fake World Wonderland's title track which suuuuuuucks. 死がふたりをわかつまで is really boring, and クライベイビー is just ok, feels like something from Neko.

I really wanna see where they'll go from now. They're out of old songs, so much of their good stuff is out. Their new songs, while sometimes good, are pretty lackluster most of the time. Sato's songwriting was pretty good. Even listening to the demo version of their songs, or her solo material as Kugatsuhascome, you can see the songs are great. I wonder what happened.

TsuXna

Suiyoubi no Campanella to perform at the Budokan on March 8th, I expect wackiness.

--
Final wave of artists for Countdown Japan has been announced, as well as the performing artists for each day.
http://countdownjapan.jp/1617/artist

Going on the 29th so... [Alexandros], Arukara, Kankaku Piero, Kyuso Nekokami, sumika, WANIMA, 04 LImited Sazabys, BLUE ENCOUNT... Yaaaaaassss

I entered ticket lottery for Alexandros concert in Zepp Tokyo 3 times, 2 days didn't get a ticker feelsbadman.

My friend got who is in UVERs fan club got me a ticket for their Yokohama arena concert in December, so excited to see them. Didn't win a ticket for xmas concert tho TT

Kurita

I entered ticket lottery for Alexandros concert in Zepp Tokyo 3 times, 2 days didn't get a ticker feelsbadman.

My friend got who is in UVERs fan club got me a ticket for their Yokohama arena concert in December, so excited to see them. Didn't win a ticket for xmas concert tho TT
I wanted to get a ticket for [Alexandros] at Zepp but man... 6500yen for this venue is too much. That's the price for an arena show.
I guess it depends on the artist... All the other concerts I'm going to at Zepp Tokyo (or it might actually be Zepp Diver City) this year are like 3500/4000yen.

broz0rs

Was curious to check SALU's solo stuff after liking his collab with SKY-HI, so I listened to his 2016 album Good Morning. It's a pretty damn good album! His voice can be off putting at first but I'm used to it now. It's got a track produced by Kenmochi, another one by tofubeats...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWa1eTDOIaQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6va722JjsMw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECx880X5qvA

Good surprise.

It's really cool you're able to like his album this year. Personally, I haven't liked any of his stuff since he dyed his hair blonde lol. I think his best works are collabs like this one with AKLO

RGTO - AKLO feat. SALU

TsuXna

I wanted to get a ticket for [Alexandros] at Zepp but man... 6500yen for this venue is too much. That's the price for an arena show.
I guess it depends on the artist... All the other concerts I'm going to at Zepp Tokyo (or it might actually be Zepp Diver City) this year are like 3500/4000yen.

I wanted to see them since a year ago but last year could not get a ticket either. Well, they should announce new album tour soon. I want to see RADWIMPS as well.

Top Bottom