• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

llehuty

So last Charisma.com EP is quite good? I always liked their output, but their releases felt a bit all over the place and with some filler, but unPOP is fantastic. It's available on Spotify.

Really looking forward their new album next March if they keep this direction.

Aizo

Banned
Yo Youtube Recommendations did their thing for me yesterday. It lead to this hotness.

BVCK-18019.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YixAD9GIAuY
Yo, recommend me some shit like this.
Since she worked with Sakamoto Ryuuichi, maybe check out YMO? I'm probably off.

The music I know from the 80s is the late 80s, like Wink, who are awesome, but totally different.

Lotto

Nice, this was the song they opened with at soda bar in SD. Just pre-ordered the album !
and the shirt in my size that I wasn't able to get at the venue

Yo Youtube Recommendations did their thing for me yesterday. It lead to this hotness.

BVCK-18019.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YixAD9GIAuY
Yo, recommend me some shit like this.

You might enjoy some of these, in the same vein as early city pop/jazz/funk :

Miki Matsubara - It's So Creamy

CINDY - 私達を信じていて

一十三十一 -「DIVE」

kasane

i listened to the studio jam session ver. of taking off

now i actually sorta like it

edit: i feel like the original ver. of taking off has a huge disconnect between the vocals and the instrumentals. It might be the way it was mastered or they engineered it that way

Kurita

Randomly walked past the members of NICO Touches the Walls in Ikebukuro lol. Guess they're touring CD shops since they were wearing their outfits from the new single.

That reminds me I saw the guitarist in Shibuya last year too haha

Priz

Back in the US, trying to deal with jetlag and mostly over it but still tired... also feel like I'm congested/coming down with something so that doesn't help... (but ears popping, stuffed up, etc... urgh)

Anyway... went to four lives in four days. It was a crazy time. I tried to survive MOGRA but after everything I only lasted until around 3:30am and had to go back to my apartment I rented and pass out...

First Day:
Great live with amazing music non-stop. Also chay! <3 <3 <3

Second Day Bonus Image:
With a name like that, it's a lot to live up to...

WOMEN’S POWER Presents Girls Band Next Generation
[&#20844;&#28436;&#26085;]&#12288;2016&#24180;11&#26376;18&#26085;&#65288;&#37329;&#65289;
[&#20250;&#22580;]&#12288;TSUTAYA O-WEST
[&#20986;&#28436;]&#12288;LOVEBITES/Disqualia/&#30690;&#23798;&#33310;&#20381;

Cvq83uuWgAA6chG.jpg

I have a new favorite all-female rock band in Japan and it is LOVEBITES. Mi-ya <3 They did a great Halestorm cover too.

Third Day:
http://www.onsen-ongaku.com/
Showed up late due to not sleeping well, also one of my friends was under the weather so I spent time talking to her and getting caught up and not going into the onsen. Ah well...
We did catch one group and one DJ act.

Fourth Day:
Ended up going to see http://ayumikurikamaki.com/ at a mall in Yokohama. Got lost on the trains on the way and had to backtrack and then took a bus... so only a half hour set and we showed up at the start of their last song (4 song set, asked via google translate some of their fans how much we missed). Ah well... Good song, though. Do like their music even if they did retire the bear costumes.

Afterwards we took the same bus to the other end of it's route and went to Kawasaki to go to Warehouse Kawasaki which is an amazing arcade there. If you're ever in Kawasaki and up for a ~10 minute walk from the station go to this arcade! Also, the 7-Eleven nearest the JR station still has Slurpees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW0dgV_e2vg

Also found this awesome magazine at Disk Union:
lOZC5pX.jpg

Slowdive

Banned
New Towa Tei album out March 22nd, only METAFIVE confirmed to feature so far.

Also Tamate Hatsumi only sold eight tickets in two months for her first one man live so she's playing live for 24 hours in the street trying to sell them. :(

Aizo

Banned
Kurita (and others), what do you think of the Sol-fa re-recording? I feel like it's unnecessary. I've listened to the original so many damn times, that every slight change in his voice, or timbre differences in the instruments just bother me. Re-Re is interesting, because it's so different, though.

Kurita

Kurita (and others), what do you think of the Sol-fa re-recording? I feel like it's unnecessary. I've listened to the original so many damn times, that every slight change in his voice, or timbre differences in the instruments just bother me. Re-Re is interesting, because it's so different, though.

Listening to the 2016 version of Asian Kung-Fu Generation's classic album Sol-Fa, I really really like the new recordings. Some songs even sound better than the original tracks, didn't expect that!

:D

Kurita

Over 250 000 CDs sold and 650 000 downloads for Hoshino Gen's Koi, niiiiiiice. So happy for him! Well deserved success!

RADWIMPS's latest album outsold already their previous one (I'm not including the Kimi no na Ha soundtrack) in just a week, damn. That Kimi no na Ha effect is no joke. Great to see that even 11 years after their major debut they managed to find a new audience. Honestly thought they'd be done after the drummer's hiatus due to its health. Wonder if he'll come back someday... Wish he was there to enjoy the new found fame.

SKY-HI / Double Down
Sweet.
He will release a new album on January 18, looking forward to it.

Aizo

Banned
Wow. Maximum the Hormone has the most convoluted process for entering the raffle to get tickets for their upcoming tour. I'm never going to see them live, am I? Seeing popular artists in Japan is the biggest bullshit.

Kurita

Wow. Maximum the Hormone has the most convoluted process for entering the raffle to get tickets for their upcoming tour. I'm never going to see them live, am I? Seeing popular artists in Japan is the biggest bullshit.

I think it's pretty hilarious and fits the band to do something like that hahaha They're big trolls so yeah.

Aside from that I don't really see why you say it's bullshit for popular artists in general. This is a super extreme case, otherwise it's not complicated.
Most of them just do a few raffles (fanclub only then general raffles) and then tickets go on sale. Pretty stress-free compared to the West imo, you actually have MORE opportunities to get tickets when you think about it.

I remember when One Ok Rock first came in France, if you weren't in front of your computer at 10am when the tickets went on sale you were fucked. Same for every big artist. This is way more bullshit than the Japanese way.

Aizo

Banned
I'm from a smaller city, so I don't think I ever had any issue seeing the artists I liked in the West. Then again, I didn't go to venues as large, either. All the bands I'm into back home are Punk, Ska, Progressive Rock, Metal, Indie, Rap, Synthpop, and Folk groups... so I guess they're not too hard to see.

Edit: if we are talking about Japanese artists, the only ones that came were groups I did not like that played at anime conventions, so... not worth it.

kasane

honestly everything radwimps puts out for me is pure fucking gold

i dont know what it is but everything they do works. lyrically and instrumentally for me

Edit: Lights go out is serenading me to sleep. Its so gooooooood

kasane

Im actually surptised by radwimps' output. I guess theyve been working on this album for a while.

Also missed monoeyes new single!

Kurita

Im actually surptised by radwimps' output. I guess theyve been working on this album for a while.

Also missed monoeyes new single!

They started recording it 3 years ago, then they started working on Kimi no Na ha's soundtrack at the same time. Hikari (2nd track of the album) was actually one of the choices for Kimi no Na ha's main theme, but in the end they chose Zen Zen Zense.

Kurita

&#12412;&#12367;&#12398;&#12426;&#12426;&#12387;&#12367;&#12398;&#12412;&#12358;&#12424;&#12415; - &#12300;after that&#12301;
Soooooo good. That jazzy instrumental is great. Some members of SANABAGUN and MOP of HEAD are the musicians for this track.
Written in collaboration with a guy named Nicola Conte which is apparently a somewhat famous producer of bossa nova and stuff like that.

Can't wait for his new album.

Nothing's Carved In Stone - Like a Shooting Star
Dope animated music video. Song is definitely solid too.

&#12498;&#12488;&#12522;&#12456; &#12302;&#12522;&#12488;&#12523;&#12463;&#12521;&#12452;&#12505;&#12452;&#12499;&#12540;&#12303;
Their new album is perfect. Their best work yet. Love every second of it.

Top Bottom