• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

faridmon

Loving the new For Tracy Hyde album. Very poppy (VERY much so) but they still have elements of Shoagze, Shibuya-key and Dream-pp in there, but at the same is very cute and twee

Not liking the new RADWIMPS though. Too bloated and most of the tracks are weak ballads.

So last Charisma.com EP is quite good? I always liked their output, but their releases felt a bit all over the place and with some filler, but unPOP is fantastic. It's available on Spotify.

Really looking forward their new album next March if they keep this direction.

Preferd the EP to the second (or third if you would llike) album. Very consistent and catchy with no filler at al.

BELLRING少女ハート×おやすみホログラム「machine song」「rainy dance」2016/12/7 at 目黒鹿鳴館

BELLRING少女ハート「asthma」2016/12/7 at 目黒鹿鳴館

Beruha breaking up (sort of) is easily the saddest I've been about a dissolution since BiS. they're certainly treating it like a breakup anyway.

Kanamiru doing her best to bring vape culture to the underground idol scene.

e: I haven't heard the Togawa album yet, I only saw that it was out there as I was leaving for work.

Kurita

KEYTALK -「ASTRO」

n6DZ7.png

Slowdive

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIs7yRbpCIU

You not counting this? or is there something I don't know about it?

Nah, that's a Vampillia song featuring Togawa. This new one is written by her and Vampillia.

F. Impressions?
I wanna buy it next week!
It is surreal, isn't it. I wanna see them play next month. That'd be insane. Didn't think I'd get to see her perform ever.

It's better than the Hijokaidan album (which I love) Definitely in my top 5 albums of the year. The new Men's Junan is my favourite so far.

Great year to be a Togawa fan, I know this is her 35th anniversary and she does live shows all the time but it feels like she's really back, new albums, the book, first interview in years and the reissues out later this month, her voice is the best it's been for years. Please don't go silent in terms of new releases for another 12 years!

Haha good for her. She's my favorite NMB since Milky left.

she's probably my favorite in all of 48g, and has been for a while. I can never really tell what's up with her though since she's both kind of a controversial member, but also able to get away with a lot of things that nobody else can. and then she gets a solo song. anyway, good for her.

Peru

As a fairly recognisable 48 group member stepping away from the sousenkyo election thing for several years running is an actual subversive act - I mean, there are various degrees of 'weird' members in terms of the image they're selling but to put your money where your mouth is must be a lot more difficult in that system.

You can ask, why is she there, but it turns out it does serve as a platform for her own brand (not AKS') and she must find thing she enjoys. Like flirting with all the pretty girls.

she'd utterly bomb at sousenkyo though, and she already gets a lot of nasty people after her on social media. so trying to compete in the same space as other 48g girls is a losing battle, but she still manages to use it as a platform to her own ends. I'm just mostly surprised by the solo song because it's one of the most official pushes from within the group she's probably ever seen. most of the other attention she gets is strictly comedy roles (which she's great at anyway, so).

Anyway I halfway expected to see her to bail out entirely a few years ago so to see her keep climbing up is the best.

Kinda giving me what Tokyo Girls Style used to give me. I don't know what TGS is doing now, seems like every time I check it's some ballad.

They released a new single literally just a week ago which I thought was only okay at first but has grown on me a lot. In any case it's much better than their previous EDM singles. Also last week Yuri released an album with the Saue to Nakae project. If you're after groups with a more classic TGS (and classic especia) vibe, maybe check out Dance for Philosophy.

vanty

Is there something different about NMB's management compared to the rest of the 48 Group that their stuff isn't blocked on YouTube? That video worked so I looked up a couple other things thinking the stupid YT Red thing was fixed but nope still there.

broz0rs

Is there something different about NMB's management compared to the rest of the 48 Group that their stuff isn't blocked on YouTube? That video worked so I looked up a couple other things thinking the stupid YT Red thing was fixed but nope still there.

NMB is managed by Yoshimoto Kogyo, which is Japan's largest comedic talent agency. They're not as strict as the other 48/46g agencies when it comes to music copyright. I'm convinced Momoka wouldn't have gotten that solo song if NMB wasn't managed by Yoshimoto.

Oomori Seiko knocked one out of the park with Tokyo Black Hole, Especia's Carta was nothing short of fantastic, Ayumi Hamasaki released her best album in years, The BPM15Q release is a bop, and the NEW JUN TOGAWA straight SLAYS.

2016 is the year of dreams for JMusic.

Kurita

2016 was a pretty amazing year indeed.
Well I don't listen to any of the stuff you mentionned lol but I got a ton of freaking great releases too.

Also, Hi-Standard releasing new material for the first time in 16 years WITHOUT teasing it beforehand got Japan shook lol
"Oh, we're releasing something new. The date? Today."
Props to CD shops for not leaking the info in this age of social media.

fonz

Neo Member

Read somewhere that they´ll go to a long hiatus and come back with a new concept (maybe a change of outfits as the did in the past). I even remember that they planned to do live broadcasting auditions, BiS-style. But all these collaborations look like a goodbye, maybe they changed their mind and called it quits. I hope not.

Anyway a bad year for idol underground with lots of graduations and great groups disbanding. By the way, I absolutely love the post-punk vibe of the new Kouteca song, love these variety of styles they had, what a pity their disbandment.

Kurita

Just came back from 感覚ピエロ's show, it was soooooo good. Their live performances are really really solid. They also really love dirty jokes, it was hilarious lol The title of the tour is basically "感覚ピエロ touching the 3 points, I'm coming!" (the 3 points referring to a girl's nipples and vagina).
Seeing young girls singing along their song about boobs is perfect. The vocalist yelling "Did you get off, Tokyo?" at the end slayed me. But they also had a few touching MCs, especially the one before 拝啓、いつかの君へ. Talking about dreams and such. Very sweet. Saw a few people crying haha
Great setlist, they played a few songs I didn't know because they're on their old CDs you basically can't get anymore. The encore was リア充大爆発 which is a song to shit on people who have a sweet life, a lover... haha The vocalist said he despised people who had dates and had sex on Christmas cause he's always alone lol
They also announced the release of a new album for February 22nd! Can't wait!

Man just had a really weird coincidence revelation that kinda blew me away.

So I have had pneumonia for the past couple days and besides some main tv series haven't really felt in the mood for anything else so basically I ended up seeing the Ghost Taxi prank video which ended up leading me to AKBingo.
Never seriously tried Jpop or cared for idols but give the show a shot anyway because I had seen some funny stuff elsewhere from it.
So over the last 2 days I watched like 60+ episodes
Slowly I developed a favorite and eventually listened/watched some of her stuff and really liked it.

Finally ran out of subbed episodes so I look to see if she has done other stuff and see her birthday is the same day and year as me.

Kurita

グッドモーニングアメリカ「鉛空のスターゲイザー 」
One of these bands that rarely get mainstream hits but manage to pull out very solid tracks all the time. Really digging this. Looking forward to the new album next week.

Yonezu Kenshi will provide the new theme song for the great anime that is 3-Gatsu no Lion. The single for it will be out on February 15th.
Sidenote : I'm amazed at how much likes and retweets news about him get on Natalie.
So happy to see him getting more and more popular. Hope a new album is around the corner!

KANA-BOON will release their 10th single, Fighter, on March 1st. Promo pic is out. Cracks me up to see them posing like cool dudes even though they're 4 adorable geeks lol

八十八ヶ所巡礼/紫光
Margaret is still a cutie. Also I just realized that this is the first year they didn't release an album since their debut album in 2010. Pretty good streak.

One of their songs came on random the other day and I had the same thought. sounds like they've still got it though.

yukueshirezutsurezure album is exactly what I hoped it would be. ZenKimi album is exactly what I thought it would be, but there's still like 5 songs that I'm pretty into.

--

青木裕 Aoki Yutaka "Lost in Forest" trailer (Part.2)

this is looking like a real weird album and I'm glad.

Larsa

yukueshirezutsurezure album is exactly what I hoped it would be. ZenKimi album is exactly what I thought it would be, but there's still like 5 songs that I'm pretty into.

The Yukushirezuetsurezure album is fantastic and maybe my expectations were just low, but I am actually really loving the ZenKimi album too.
--

This almost goes without saying, but the Jun Togawa and Vampillia album is incredible.

have you seen this, she is super cute in it >.< http://youtu.be/RPU51vtAh4g
I too got into AKBingo through being ill and bingeing episodes, don't give a damn about their music but they were an entertaining bunch in their early years. More recently I've enjoyed Nogizaka46 TV shows for the same reason, they are an interesting collection of weirdos :)
Yeah,

Thanks for mentioning Nogizaka46's tv stuff, saw they have their own Bingo as well so will definitely have to watch.
Its so dumb but also so fun to watch while im sick.(I just wish they did more of the hidden reaction type pranks.)

vanty

Yeah,

Thanks for mentioning Nogizaka46's tv stuff, saw they have their own Bingo as well so will definitely have to watch.
Its so dumb but also so fun to watch while im sick.(I just wish they did more of the hidden reaction type pranks.)
NOGIBINGO is only good for the two or three seasons or so when it's just AKBINGO with the Nogi46 members. After that, it's basically them just dressing up and playing out scenes. There are no more games or anything like that and it's quite boring. Nogizaka Under Construction is a far better show.

Aizo

Banned
I will officially be going to see Togawa Jun and Vampillia in January.

That's going to be such a cool show. I can't wait!!!!

NOGIBINGO is only good for the two or three seasons or so when it's just AKBINGO with the Nogi46 members. After that, it's basically them just dressing up and playing out scenes. There are no more games or anything like that and it's quite boring. Nogizaka Under Construction is a far better show.
Thanks, though Nogibingo is feeling like its missing something about 5 episodes in.

I asked in the Japan travel thread but figured I'd ask here too.

Since I'm going to Japan in January I really wanted to go to a show or two while I'm there and have had difficulty finding out much because of the language barrier and the type of stuff I'm looking for. I really want to go see some metal/hardcore/punk shows and wasn't sure if there were specific places that played those more often or small kinda undergroundy places where a lot of local noisecore kids play or whatever. That's the sort of stuff I'm looking for, some place with 40 people and some dude screaming on a mic.

I'll be in Tokyo a lot of the time, puttering around to various places. I already have a number of bars I'm set to go to since my friends have been there a bunch but they were likewise unknowledgeable about small venues.

I also kinda want to find a record shop where I could discover some Midori vinyls.

Kurita

Yeeeeees, Suchmos will release their second full album on January 25th!!!
news_header_suchmos_art201612.jpg

news_xlarge_suchmos_jkt201701.jpg

01. A.G.I.T.
02. STAY TUNE
03. PINKVIBES
04. TOBACCO
05. SNOOZE
06. DUMBO
07. INTERLUDE S.G.S.4
08. MINT
09. SEAWEED
10. ARE WE ALONE
11. BODY

They're lowkey one of the most popular bands of 2015/2016, all their previous releases proved to be solid long-sellers. Their single STAY TUNE was briefly featured in a popular drama this year which definitely helped them gaining mainstream attention, and it still sold 2300 copies this week according to Oricon despite being released in January (looks like it's used in a commercial now)! Hope 2017 will be great for this amazing band.

vanty

What are these two (1, 2) Kyary tweets about? Something to do with a tabloid or something? Not far off the number of likes and retweets from Taylor Swift's post about the Kanye phone call so it has to be something interesting I'm guessing.

Kurita

SHISHAMO's tour finale was greaaaaaat
They're so fun and cute. They announced the release of their 4th full album on february 22nd and played like 4/5 songs from it. It's going to be amazing.

Top Bottom